Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** 12:46 - Jan 21 with 5879 viewsmonytowbray

Why? Just why? What value does Farage offer to fact?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:40 - Jan 21 with 905 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:28 - Jan 21 by giant_stow

Hey! I'm an Extreme Centrist remember, so that's my side! (boo hiss).

The more I think about it, the answer has to be at the other end. People (and not just kids at school) need to be educated on spin, bollox, lies and fake news. Perhaps some kind of mass education campaign akin to when we were all told to wear jonnies because of HIV (or masks now)?

Treating the issue of raw progroganda as a critical national issue worthy of such a campaign might help in itself. Even for Facebook users.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 18:30]

I don't disagree. I said this yesterday on a similar but related subject. This issue is, who will run a mass campaign of education because it doesn't really seem to be in the interest of governments to do so. I'm not convinced that they want a critically thinking politically motivated population.

Trump supporters on radio by SpruceMoose 20 Jan 2021 14:05
Apologies for the long reply, but you ask a question I've been pondering.

To be honest Gav, and I say this as someone with extended family who are definitely in the cult, I think these people are lost. You're asking them to change their entire identity and accept they have been anti-American for the last four years.

I've thought about it a lot, and have concluded that generation MAGA are done. Finished. Beyond help. Give them a chance to change, but if they insist on behaving like terrorists then I insist that they be treated like it.

First off, their can be no unity without accountability. There need to be visible consequences for the politicians and businesses who have supported this hateful worldview over the last four years.

Moving on to the voters, the best thing to counter MAGA worldviews in the long run is to improve education and economic conditions for the poor. If they don't believe you when you say that life can be better, do it anyway and show them the results. I don't think the current generation can be saved though, instead it will be a long project involving their children.

America needs an education overhaul. Children need to have a genuinely outward looking educational curriculum. American exceptionalism needs to be consigned to the bin. Critical thinking needs to emphasised. No more of this business of presenting creationism as the equal counterpart to evolution. There should be an actual, meaningful separation between church and state.

Children also need to be taught the real origins of their country - no more of this friendly pilgrim, brave explorer Columbus lie. They need to learn how to speak truth to power, to evaluate sources, to be skeptics.

I have no idea how, but social media needs to be controlled and muzzled. Facebook, YouTube etc. are a torrent that undermines decency and fact. It can't continue this way.

If you don't tackle the way that lies and deceit have been normalised and legitimised under the banner of impartiality and balance though... Well, you'll never get anywhere.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 18:41]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:41 - Jan 21 with 902 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:28 - Jan 21 by giant_stow

Hey! I'm an Extreme Centrist remember, so that's my side! (boo hiss).

The more I think about it, the answer has to be at the other end. People (and not just kids at school) need to be educated on spin, bollox, lies and fake news. Perhaps some kind of mass education campaign akin to when we were all told to wear jonnies because of HIV (or masks now)?

Treating the issue of raw progroganda as a critical national issue worthy of such a campaign might help in itself. Even for Facebook users.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 18:30]

schools need to teach critical reasoning - the ability to conceptualise, analyse, question and evaluate ideas, ie the exact opposite of dogma. they could also teach some legal concepts such as evaluating evidence and standards of proof. and best of all they could teach people to really understand both sides of a debate and understand the logic in positions that they might disagree with. they could introduce the idea that ideas can legitimately be disputed and that knowledge is often uncertain. if they do any of that already then they need to do it better.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:44 - Jan 21 with 887 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:41 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

schools need to teach critical reasoning - the ability to conceptualise, analyse, question and evaluate ideas, ie the exact opposite of dogma. they could also teach some legal concepts such as evaluating evidence and standards of proof. and best of all they could teach people to really understand both sides of a debate and understand the logic in positions that they might disagree with. they could introduce the idea that ideas can legitimately be disputed and that knowledge is often uncertain. if they do any of that already then they need to do it better.

To that list you can add that it's bad form to distort the words of other people (or even actually lie about them) in order to try and 'win' an argument.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:44 - Jan 21 with 884 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:44 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

To that list you can add that it's bad form to distort the words of other people (or even actually lie about them) in order to try and 'win' an argument.

if you can't discuss stuff like an adult stop posting.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:47 - Jan 21 with 875 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:44 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

if you can't discuss stuff like an adult stop posting.

I'm not surprised that you don't think distorting what's been said to win an argument is frowned upon. You excel at it. Others have pulled you up on that too.

The other stuff you listed is actually pretty solid, although clearly lacking in your own skill set.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:51 - Jan 21 with 864 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:47 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

I'm not surprised that you don't think distorting what's been said to win an argument is frowned upon. You excel at it. Others have pulled you up on that too.

The other stuff you listed is actually pretty solid, although clearly lacking in your own skill set.

you're just coming across as a bad loser now - "it's not fair, he quoted what i said back to me."

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:52 - Jan 21 with 861 viewsChurchman

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 16:48 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

They hang themselves by gleefully increasing their wealth and successfully removing the UK from the the EU by using lies and hatred to divide us?

Doesn't sound much like a hanging to me. Sounds like they might be enjoying themselves.

I agree and don’t have a great answer tbh. However, shutting people down for me is not the answer and I guess freedom of speech always carries a risk of hijack. It goes back to my point about people like Trump being box office. But for me, the principle of shutting people out of arguments because one disagrees with then or one feels their argument is absurd or to a point dangerous is something I’d rather leave to the likes of Russians, Chinese and North Koreans - or history’s crazy men such as Adolf and Stalin.

However, what you can do is make sure people get an even deal, time wise, and the debate and questioning is improved? It was noticeable that when Trump was monopolising the American media in 2016 Primaries, the questioning was banal. He was allowed to do his usual rant time after time. Farage, a similar story here. It was noticeable that any serious questioning of Brexiteers was absent.

I guess my point, though flawed, is one of principle as much as anything else.
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:57 - Jan 21 with 849 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:52 - Jan 21 by Churchman

I agree and don’t have a great answer tbh. However, shutting people down for me is not the answer and I guess freedom of speech always carries a risk of hijack. It goes back to my point about people like Trump being box office. But for me, the principle of shutting people out of arguments because one disagrees with then or one feels their argument is absurd or to a point dangerous is something I’d rather leave to the likes of Russians, Chinese and North Koreans - or history’s crazy men such as Adolf and Stalin.

However, what you can do is make sure people get an even deal, time wise, and the debate and questioning is improved? It was noticeable that when Trump was monopolising the American media in 2016 Primaries, the questioning was banal. He was allowed to do his usual rant time after time. Farage, a similar story here. It was noticeable that any serious questioning of Brexiteers was absent.

I feel that certain poster (not you) has done an effective job in smearing me with some kind of anti-free speech authoritarian brush.

To be clear for the final time, I'm not into shutting down arguments because I disagree with them or because I feel that they are absurd.

I'm talking about placing certain limits on dangerous speech which have the sole aim of sowing division and hatred.

Login to get fewer ads

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:58 - Jan 21 with 846 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:51 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

you're just coming across as a bad loser now - "it's not fair, he quoted what i said back to me."

Just keep mashing that downvote button while the grownups discuss things nicely.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:03 - Jan 21 with 829 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:57 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

I feel that certain poster (not you) has done an effective job in smearing me with some kind of anti-free speech authoritarian brush.

To be clear for the final time, I'm not into shutting down arguments because I disagree with them or because I feel that they are absurd.

I'm talking about placing certain limits on dangerous speech which have the sole aim of sowing division and hatred.

and i've asked you for the criteria by which you define "dangerous speech". you seem to want it to be defined by what you disagree with and who you dislike rather than by what is illegal. who judges that "the sole aim is sowing division and hatred" - again you seem to think it's you rather than the courts. we have a law on incitement to racial hatred - what's wrong with that?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 19:20]

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:07 - Jan 21 with 811 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:03 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

and i've asked you for the criteria by which you define "dangerous speech". you seem to want it to be defined by what you disagree with and who you dislike rather than by what is illegal. who judges that "the sole aim is sowing division and hatred" - again you seem to think it's you rather than the courts. we have a law on incitement to racial hatred - what's wrong with that?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 19:20]

In the words of President Biden, will you shut up man?

You're buzzing around this thread like a gadfly, and your poor punctuation and grammar are giving me a headache. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time giving you any serious answers because the way you've conducted yourself means you've lost that privilege.

I assure you, any further replies from you will only waste your own time x

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:18 - Jan 21 with 776 viewsSwansea_Blue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 17:18 - Jan 21 by giant_stow

I think the trouble with not inviting Farage onto respected public broadcasters is that they would then lose the things that makes them respected: impartiality.

You're asking them to take a view on something, to decide what's best for the nation, which to my mind would be a masisve mistake.

You'd just lose people forever as they disappeared down their favourite rabbit holes.

I know you find the following unacceptabally weak, but there really is no choice but tro counter and explain why he's wrong. At least in the short term. Maybe in the longer term, we need to expand efforts to counter extremism at an early age.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 17:19]

The can still be impartial by inviting someone else on who isn’t Farage. Take QT for example, Farage was pretty much the only MEP ever invited on there. I think Hannan and one or two others made an odd appearance, but Farage was on about 15-20 times (if not more, and we’re going back about 5 years, he’ll have been on a lot more since). Why not invite other MEPs, including UKIP if you wanted a nationalist populist?

When he formed the BP he was all over the media. They got a smaller share of the votes by far than the Lib Dems; a long serving traditional party who normally do a lot better. The greens got nearly 50% more votes. But neither of those are plastered all over our screens all the time.

He is undoubtedly platformed more than his representation/success demands. So maybe those broadcasters aren’t so impartial after all?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:19 - Jan 21 with 773 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:07 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

You're buzzing around this thread like a gadfly, and your poor punctuation and grammar are giving me a headache. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time giving you any serious answers because the way you've conducted yourself means you've lost that privilege.

yeah, yeah. you just can't do it can you, you can't engage in reasoned discussion, you can't defend the nonsense you post. you're scared of being shown up. for all the noise you make on this site it's utterly pathetic.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:20 - Jan 21 with 766 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 19:19 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

yeah, yeah. you just can't do it can you, you can't engage in reasoned discussion, you can't defend the nonsense you post. you're scared of being shown up. for all the noise you make on this site it's utterly pathetic.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** by SpruceMoose 21 Jan 2021 19:07

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 718 viewsClapham_Junction

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:52 - Jan 21 by Churchman

What we need is journalists who challenge misleading information and lies immediately. Question Time should have a fact checking panel that quickly assesses what people have said and corrections should be provided live on air. Politicians that have to be corrected regularly should not be asked back and I think this would be an acceptable reason to stop inviting certain people appearing regularly on TV.

This Irish TV news anchor puts ours to shame in how she deals with Farage,

Sadly what we have is client journalists like Kuenessberg who just parrot whatever Classic Dom has just texted her. I noticed towards the end, the news presenters began heavily caveating things Trump had said, but they won't do this with British politicians.
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:26 - Jan 21 with 705 viewsChurchman

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:57 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

No, I wasn’t aiming that at you for one moment. I was thinking only around your question, free speech and whether or if it should be limited.

Obviously there are risks in this and I don’t really have the answer as to where the balance lies. I think you can limit face time, as they should have done in the US with Trump, or at least make it balanced and certain things should be made illegal. Race hatred, racism, sexism etc. That’s as far as I’ve got.
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:28 - Jan 21 with 700 viewsm14_blue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:22 - Jan 21 by Clapham_Junction

What we need is journalists who challenge misleading information and lies immediately. Question Time should have a fact checking panel that quickly assesses what people have said and corrections should be provided live on air. Politicians that have to be corrected regularly should not be asked back and I think this would be an acceptable reason to stop inviting certain people appearing regularly on TV.

This Irish TV news anchor puts ours to shame in how she deals with Farage,

Sadly what we have is client journalists like Kuenessberg who just parrot whatever Classic Dom has just texted her. I noticed towards the end, the news presenters began heavily caveating things Trump had said, but they won't do this with British politicians.

Exactly this, let them have a platform for their lies but challenge them when they spout nonsense and make it clear that if they continue to do so, or to evade questions, they won’t be invited back.

Just putting someone from the other side of the debate on at the same time, whilst the interviewer remains vanilla, isn’t enough.
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:51 - Jan 21 with 670 viewsEwan_Oozami

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 17:11 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

what nonsense, a public broadcaster doesn't have a duty to avoid people that spruce disagrees with. quite the opposite - they have a legal duty to reflect diversity of opinion.

I never said a public broadcaster has a duty to avoid them (not sure where you think Spruce's agreeing or disagreeing comes in) , I said it should challenge people like Farage (in the same way that it challenges other politicians/experts, particularly left-leaning ones), ideally in real time, rather than just let have them what is effectively an unmediated political broadcast...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:58 - Jan 21 with 648 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:51 - Jan 21 by Ewan_Oozami

I never said a public broadcaster has a duty to avoid them (not sure where you think Spruce's agreeing or disagreeing comes in) , I said it should challenge people like Farage (in the same way that it challenges other politicians/experts, particularly left-leaning ones), ideally in real time, rather than just let have them what is effectively an unmediated political broadcast...

of course you're right - you did say that. but you started by referring to spruce's use of the phrase 'public broadcaster' and he used it to say that public broadcasters should avoid the people he deemed unacceptable. your point about challenging people like farrage and not giving them free air time is spot on.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 21:17 - Jan 21 with 622 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 20:58 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

of course you're right - you did say that. but you started by referring to spruce's use of the phrase 'public broadcaster' and he used it to say that public broadcasters should avoid the people he deemed unacceptable. your point about challenging people like farrage and not giving them free air time is spot on.

"he used it to say that public broadcasters should avoid the people he deemed unacceptable."

For the benefit of other users here is what I actually said.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** by SpruceMoose 21 Jan 2021 18:57

Thank you.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 21:20]

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 21:59 - Jan 21 with 590 viewsCoachRob

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 18:41 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

This is extraordinary - you recently called a colleague of mine "a noise on twitter", given you are a humanities graduate that is some accusation but the fact that Ole Peters is a 4-star published physicist who worked with the Nobel Prize Winning Physicist Murray Gell-Mann on developing ergodicity economics just shows you are a obnoxious irrelevance trolling gifted scientists. Are you even published?

You couldn't give a damn about understanding anything you just want people to believe the nonsense that is excreted from social theorists like Paul Samuelson. Economists have been ignoring criticism of their nonsense for decades and then you write about critical thinking.

If people want a society able to understand the world around them my advice would to ignore humanities graduates, especially economists.
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 22:08 - Jan 21 with 570 viewsMeadowlark

I would be none the wiser if you hadn't publicised it!
When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 22:13 - Jan 21 with 559 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 21:17 - Jan 21 by SpruceMoose

"he used it to say that public broadcasters should avoid the people he deemed unacceptable."

For the benefit of other users here is what I actually said.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** by SpruceMoose 21 Jan 2021 18:57

Thank you.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 21:20]

since we're running through your contribution to the thread:

op: "When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying *****.Why? Just why? What value does Farage offer to fact?"

Giant_Ulla: "Obviously a privately provided platform can do what it likes, but no Farage shouldn't be denied *all* platforms as long as he stays within the law."

SM: "So how do we stop these greasy weasels lying and spewing hatred to millions of people, ultimately infecting their worldview with poison? If the answer is "combat them with facts and evidence" I'm going to throw myself out of the nearest window."

Giant_Ulla: "Thats a massive question and a little beyond me! I have to get back to work, but while I do, I'll try and dream up an answer. It'll be great!"

SM: "Not providing extremists of all shapes and forms access to millions of minds through a public broadcaster would probably be a good start, I'd say."

stop pretending you didn't post stuff.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 22:14 - Jan 21 with 555 viewsSpruceMoose

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 22:13 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

since we're running through your contribution to the thread:

op: "When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying *****.Why? Just why? What value does Farage offer to fact?"

Giant_Ulla: "Obviously a privately provided platform can do what it likes, but no Farage shouldn't be denied *all* platforms as long as he stays within the law."

SM: "So how do we stop these greasy weasels lying and spewing hatred to millions of people, ultimately infecting their worldview with poison? If the answer is "combat them with facts and evidence" I'm going to throw myself out of the nearest window."

Giant_Ulla: "Thats a massive question and a little beyond me! I have to get back to work, but while I do, I'll try and dream up an answer. It'll be great!"

SM: "Not providing extremists of all shapes and forms access to millions of minds through a public broadcaster would probably be a good start, I'd say."

stop pretending you didn't post stuff.

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** by SpruceMoose 21 Jan 2021 19:07

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 22:28 - Jan 21 with 532 viewslowhouseblue

When will the media learn to stop platforming these lying ***** on 21:59 - Jan 21 by CoachRob

This is extraordinary - you recently called a colleague of mine "a noise on twitter", given you are a humanities graduate that is some accusation but the fact that Ole Peters is a 4-star published physicist who worked with the Nobel Prize Winning Physicist Murray Gell-Mann on developing ergodicity economics just shows you are a obnoxious irrelevance trolling gifted scientists. Are you even published?

You couldn't give a damn about understanding anything you just want people to believe the nonsense that is excreted from social theorists like Paul Samuelson. Economists have been ignoring criticism of their nonsense for decades and then you write about critical thinking.

If people want a society able to understand the world around them my advice would to ignore humanities graduates, especially economists.

well that's a bit weird. you seem to be upset by call for critical reasoning and to have a problem with social sciences. personally i don't believe that ole peters has over turned a whole academic discipline. perhaps you do. although it's the internet so perhaps you don't actually know anything about economics or social science. who knows.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024