Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glastonbury cancelled 12:49 - Jan 21 with 2942 viewsvapour_trail

Summer 2021 dominoes start to fall. Hopefully some late summer smaller festivals will survive but I’m not optimistic at all.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:51 - Jan 21 with 2310 viewsBlueBadger

Realistically, I don't think we're going to see very much indoor live music(or theatre, or anything else like that) for most, if not all of this year.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:51 - Jan 21 with 2305 viewsJ2BLUE

Makes sense I guess with younger people not being vaccinated by then.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:52 - Jan 21 with 2283 viewsdavblue

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:51 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

Realistically, I don't think we're going to see very much indoor live music(or theatre, or anything else like that) for most, if not all of this year.

yeah it's hard to see much at all this year.

Not sure crowds will be allowed into grounds until next year.
Glastonbury cancelled on 12:53 - Jan 21 with 2274 viewsmonytowbray

Festivals might be back in 2022. Why the bookers wasted more money rebooking this year baffles me. Perhaps desperate optimism.

To be fair, expect half your favourite festivals to never happen again and venues to be a Spoons by the time we are allowed to go back to social events.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:54 - Jan 21 with 2261 viewsBlueBadger

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:52 - Jan 21 by davblue

yeah it's hard to see much at all this year.

Not sure crowds will be allowed into grounds until next year.

'True' normality is not happening till after next winter, I suspect.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:57 - Jan 21 with 2240 viewsstonojnr

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:53 - Jan 21 by monytowbray

Festivals might be back in 2022. Why the bookers wasted more money rebooking this year baffles me. Perhaps desperate optimism.

To be fair, expect half your favourite festivals to never happen again and venues to be a Spoons by the time we are allowed to go back to social events.

there might be all kinds of contractual reasons that we the public dont know about as to why things had to be booked, announced, arranged like this even if the promoters knew there wasnt a hope in hells chance of anything happening.

as for your Spoons thing, would you rather those venues continued as pubs, or simply shut forever ?
Glastonbury cancelled on 12:58 - Jan 21 with 2218 viewsmonytowbray

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:57 - Jan 21 by stonojnr

there might be all kinds of contractual reasons that we the public dont know about as to why things had to be booked, announced, arranged like this even if the promoters knew there wasnt a hope in hells chance of anything happening.

as for your Spoons thing, would you rather those venues continued as pubs, or simply shut forever ?

I’d sooner the government support grass roots culture and businesses that are struggling through no fault of their own.

Let’s not pretend the only options are CLOSE or SELL TO TIM.

TWTD never forgets…

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:03 - Jan 21 with 2196 viewsTJS

I'm working on the basis that 2021 will be mostly be a write-off as well and anything different will be a bonus.

I would like to see the Euros postponed until they can be played properly in full stadiums as well.
It's not fair on host countries who hardly ever get a chance to have these games in their country to have them completely ruined and then have to wait another 20 years while Germany gets to host yet ANOTHER tournament with full stadiums in 2024.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 13:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:06 - Jan 21 with 2178 viewsStokieBlue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:03 - Jan 21 by TJS

I'm working on the basis that 2021 will be mostly be a write-off as well and anything different will be a bonus.

I would like to see the Euros postponed until they can be played properly in full stadiums as well.
It's not fair on host countries who hardly ever get a chance to have these games in their country to have them completely ruined and then have to wait another 20 years while Germany gets to host yet ANOTHER tournament with full stadiums in 2024.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 13:03]

If it's postponed again it will be in the same year as the World Cup though so that isn't going to really work I wouldn't think.

It'll be played in partially empty stadiums or totally cancelled I would guess.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:07 - Jan 21 with 2163 viewsElderGrizzly

Glastonbury cancelled on 12:51 - Jan 21 by BlueBadger

There was a leaked meeting from the Scottish Govt yesterday that had them saying no foreign travel allowed until 2022.

Now, even I think that is pessimistic...
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:09 - Jan 21 with 2143 viewsfooters

Good news for the fields though.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:12 - Jan 21 with 2111 viewsStokieBlue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:07 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

There was a leaked meeting from the Scottish Govt yesterday that had them saying no foreign travel allowed until 2022.

Did they mean foreign travel into Scotland or Scottish people going on foreign holidays?

SB

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:15 - Jan 21 with 2095 viewsmonytowbray

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:12 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

Did they mean foreign travel into Scotland or Scottish people going on foreign holidays?

SB

They are building a wall like GoT meets Trump. But the wall is to be made of battered foods and Ir. Bru.

TWTD never forgets…

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:15 - Jan 21 with 2100 viewsm14_blue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:07 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

Surely there won’t be a travel industry left by 2022 if that happens?

Losing another summer season would finish most companies/airlines/hotels I would think.
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:21 - Jan 21 with 2070 viewsRadlett_blue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:06 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

If it's postponed again it will be in the same year as the World Cup though so that isn't going to really work I wouldn't think.

SB

I really don't miss international football & think it's crazy that UEFA have insisted that the near pointless breaks for friendly games have continued during the crisis. There is an argument that sport should be restricted to domestic events during COVID, although that would hit some harder than others.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:30 - Jan 21 with 2031 viewsElderGrizzly

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:12 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Scots leaving the country
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:30 - Jan 21 with 2028 viewsTractorWood

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:21 - Jan 21 by Radlett_blue

I really don't miss international football & think it's crazy that UEFA have insisted that the near pointless breaks for friendly games have continued during the crisis. There is an argument that sport should be restricted to domestic events during COVID, although that would hit some harder than others.

I have tickets to all England Wembley games. I think Uefa are making a decision in mid-March when I suspect absolutely nothing will have changed.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:32 - Jan 21 with 2021 viewsElderGrizzly

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:06 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

SB

It certainly can't be played with the concept of teams traipsing round Europe from country to country.

It will need to be hosted in one or two countries with bubbles put in place for teams if it is going to go ahead.

I'd suggest it will be cancelled altogether, as no country will want the risk.

Also the Olympics will be cancelled.
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:32 - Jan 21 with 2020 viewsStokieBlue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:30 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

Scots leaving the country

In that case though it would surely have to be both ways?

SB

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:36 - Jan 21 with 1988 viewsDubtractor

Given the scale of Glasto, it was never happening this year, especially not as the first festival of the year.

I'm hopeful that some of the smaller, less than 20,000 people, festivals may happen later in the Summer. They are mostly outside which is obviously a good starting point, but things like toilets could be a stumbling block.

I can't see indoor gigs happening this year full stop. Which is crap seeing as that is 90% of my social life lost for another year!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 1984 viewsTJS

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:32 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

It certainly can't be played with the concept of teams traipsing round Europe from country to country.

It will need to be hosted in one or two countries with bubbles put in place for teams if it is going to go ahead.

Ironically wasn't the idea of spreading it around Europe to do with holding the bidding process in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis.
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:42 - Jan 21 with 1963 viewsm14_blue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:30 - Jan 21 by TractorWood

I have tickets to all England Wembley games. I think Uefa are making a decision in mid-March when I suspect absolutely nothing will have changed.

I had the same but took the refund when it was postponed last year.

Had some regrets when Scotland qualified but seems very unlikely to be a ‘proper’ atmosphere anyway.
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:42 - Jan 21 with 1962 viewsElderGrizzly

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:32 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

In that case though it would surely have to be both ways?

SB

You'd assume so, but this is politics over health in some regard.
Glastonbury cancelled on 13:52 - Jan 21 with 1921 viewsStokieBlue

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:32 - Jan 21 by ElderGrizzly

The Olympics would have cost Japan a fortune to not host it.

15bn USD apparently.

SB

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:56 - Jan 21 with 1901 viewsElderGrizzly

Glastonbury cancelled on 13:52 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

The Olympics would have cost Japan a fortune to not host it.

15bn USD apparently.

SB

Just can't see how you host it securely, with hundreds or thousands of athletes from each country.

You've seen the mess the Australian open is in with a couple of hundred people?!

With testing and quarantine restrictions likely to be here for most of this year, even with a vaccine, I just can't see how they can put on the Olympics in anything that remotely approaches safely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024