Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Price of garden landscaping advice please 18:56 - Jan 21 with 6632 viewsITFCson

I am getting a quote for some garden work on Saturday, problem is I have no idea what is a reasonable price for such work.

Garden is about 6m x 13m. Maybe 20% is slabbed which all need replacing. The garden/grass is very uneven so needs levelling. Apart from that I am not looking for anything else to elaborate.

I appreciate this is not much to go on but what kind of price range do you think I should be looking at?

Thanks
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:20 - Jan 21 with 5055 viewsjeera

Try to get 2 -3 quotes maybe?

Take photos and email them if people don't want to feel they're going to be dragged out to do a quote for nothing?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:24 - Jan 21 with 5035 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:20 - Jan 21 by jeera

Try to get 2 -3 quotes maybe?

Take photos and email them if people don't want to feel they're going to be dragged out to do a quote for nothing?

Indeed, make sure that whoever is quoting is fit for the job, ideally you have personal recommendations (probably tricky because you probably don't know lots of people who have employed any) and get 3 quotes. Generally going the middle quote is wise. There are professional qualifications you should ensure they have. Can make some enquiries from people I know round here if you want.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:29 - Jan 21 with 5019 viewsjeera

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:24 - Jan 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, make sure that whoever is quoting is fit for the job, ideally you have personal recommendations (probably tricky because you probably don't know lots of people who have employed any) and get 3 quotes. Generally going the middle quote is wise. There are professional qualifications you should ensure they have. Can make some enquiries from people I know round here if you want.

Maybe one or two of own resident herberts could step up and offer some opinions or even quotes!?

Where are you 2 supposed entrepreneurs?

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:30 - Jan 21 with 5014 viewsbluefunk

Use some common sense. A professional landscaper isn’t going to work for £50 a day, and it’ll probably need 2/3 on the job. Sorting that out is going to take 7/10 days I’d have thought, so do some basic maths adding in the cost of materials etc.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:37 - Jan 21 with 4987 viewsbrogansnose

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:30 - Jan 21 by bluefunk

Use some common sense. A professional landscaper isn’t going to work for £50 a day, and it’ll probably need 2/3 on the job. Sorting that out is going to take 7/10 days I’d have thought, so do some basic maths adding in the cost of materials etc.

Factor into that waste disposal, ie skips, what's the sub base like under the existing paving and access to the garden. Replacement paving is a bit open ended and depends on customer choice but decent stuff doesn't come that cheap these days.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:41 - Jan 21 with 4973 viewsjeera

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:30 - Jan 21 by bluefunk

It's what, around 900 sq ft in all?

Lift up the slabs, rotavate the lot and rake it through a few times?

Lay some new slabs.

That's a week's work for a strong chap on his own shirley?

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:51 - Jan 21 with 4956 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Get at least 3 quotes. You may well find the prices vary considerably. Tell them what you have in mind, the type of slabs you would like as these also can be very expensive for the top quality ones.
Also weather you want the grass area turfed or seeded will also affect the pricing, turf will be more expensive, but will have an immediate impact and will be a useable area much quicker.
Drop me a PM if you would like any other help on what to ask.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:59 - Jan 21 with 4927 viewsstantheman

I wanted something done (not landscaping btw) and went on Checkatrade and got 3 quotes based on reviews and locality. Worked out well for me and the quotes varied quite a lot. Went for the cheapest and the guy did a cracking job.
Login to get fewer ads

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 20:18 - Jan 21 with 4891 viewsHotShotHamish

Sounds similar to work I had done about 5 years ago.

I had a 50 foot by 25 foot of slabs removed and a similar size of shrubs and bushes removed. All levelled and turfed.

Took 2 men 4.5 days and cost me £3.5k
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 20:23 - Jan 21 with 4873 viewsITFCson

This is all a great help - thanks.

I have a guy coming around sat from http://www.lawlorspavingservices.co.uk/ then a friends husband Sunday morning and also been recommended another chap who I will contact.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 20:24 - Jan 21 with 4873 viewsHotShotHamish

I had a 50 foot by 25 foot of slabs removed and a similar size of shrubs and bushes removed. All levelled and turfed.

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 21:44 - Jan 21 with 4788 viewsfactual_blue

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 20:24 - Jan 21 by HotShotHamish

This was marginally more interesting the first time you posted it six minutes earlier.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2021 21:46]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 00:56 - Jan 22 with 4683 viewsHARRY10

Be warned

anyone can call themselves anything in the UK - you just have to lease a van, write the name of the trade, and then add 'solutions' after that

mist if what you describe is labouring, so it does not need some over priced skill'

what you will be quoted is what that person thinks you will be prepared to cough up

qualifications in this instance are pretty meaningless - whereas public liability insurance is essential, as will be a waste carriers licence and proof of garden waste is correctly disposed of

most if what you describe can be done with unskilled labour

and the bottom line is, would you trust this person to be left alone in your house all day, working.... if not go with your instinct
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 01:30 - Jan 22 with 4674 viewsjeera

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 00:56 - Jan 22 by HARRY10

Be warned

anyone can call themselves anything in the UK - you just have to lease a van, write the name of the trade, and then add 'solutions' after that

mist if what you describe is labouring, so it does not need some over priced skill'

what you will be quoted is what that person thinks you will be prepared to cough up

qualifications in this instance are pretty meaningless - whereas public liability insurance is essential, as will be a waste carriers licence and proof of garden waste is correctly disposed of

and the bottom line is, would you trust this person to be left alone in your house all day, working.... if not go with your instinct

I've got a spade Harry if you have a wheelbarrow.

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 01:36 - Jan 22 with 4668 viewsRyorry

Be warned

Yeah, I'm probably unduly influenced by the modern slavery story currently running on 'The Archers'! but beware the cheapest quote if it's a *lot* cheaper!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 03:23 - Jan 22 with 4638 viewsHARRY10

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 19:41 - Jan 21 by jeera

It's what, around 900 sq ft in all?

Lift up the slabs, rotavate the lot and rake it through a few times?

Lay some new slabs.

That's a week's work for a strong chap on his own shirley?

That is pretty much what it amounts to.

Be aware that it is often the case where someone goes in low, then ups the cost due to 'unforeseen problems'. Agree first what is being done, so as to avoid the above - and expect to wait a bit, as any decent tradesman is not sat around.

Word of mouth/recommendations are usually better than a low quote, as they are more accountable.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 07:05 - Jan 22 with 4597 viewsCoastalblue

Be warned

How do you define skilled/unskilled labour? Are you suggesting anything not requiring a qualification is unskilled?

Laying a patio well, so that it lasts is something I would consider skilled labour, sorting out a poorly done existing patio even more so.

I'll balance your them charging what they think somebody will cough up with, you often get what you pay for with tradesman. Decent tradesman know their worth and will charge for it because they always have work, that includes those that do what mght be considered 'unskilled' work.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 12:19 - Sep 13 with 3848 viewsLiselelal

I think about a few hundreds of dollars would be fine
Most of the time, I would just go to http://www.jscustomlandscaping.com]jscustomlandscaping.com[/url] Their service there is just amazing! They have the consultants (which will tell you which variant suits your garden the best, and they also take into consideration your budget of course), and the designers (who will take the variant that you chose and make the best out of it). I have some rather big houses and about 4 gardens in total. All of my beautiful gardens were designed by them. To be honest, I never did pay much attention to plants and such before, but after my gardens got redesigned and renovated, I now spend more time there than in my room haha you
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 18:39]
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 12:28 - Sep 13 with 3825 viewsgiant_stow

Oddly enough, someone asked the same question in the local Walthamstow Facebook group and with a pretty similar spec. I was shocked at the prices - anywhere between £7-£20 K. Then followed a big debate about what's a fair rate!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 12:44 - Sep 13 with 3788 viewsdaisyisabaddog

I'm a semi retired external decorator. Beware of prices from 3 years ago. In those days I was on around £18 an hour. Now I can quote based on nearly £30 an hour and I'm still busy all through the summer. I'd be surprised if a proficient landscaper was charging less than me and the increase in skip and materials costs recently has been mind boggling.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 13:42 - Sep 13 with 3709 viewsTractorWood

Only thing I'd add here is that price is 2nd to availability for most trades atm in my experience. I've had plumbers not turn up because they are too busy, people not return requests for quotes. Then there is inevitable delays and escalating expense of basically everything too at present.

Fundamentally, the customer hasn't got much say at the moment if you have something specific in mind. Be open-minded and expect the unexpected.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 13:57 - Sep 13 with 3674 viewsdickie

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 13:42 - Sep 13 by TractorWood

Only thing I'd add here is that price is 2nd to availability for most trades atm in my experience. I've had plumbers not turn up because they are too busy, people not return requests for quotes. Then there is inevitable delays and escalating expense of basically everything too at present.

Fundamentally, the customer hasn't got much say at the moment if you have something specific in mind. Be open-minded and expect the unexpected.

Agreed, plus the almost daily increase in materials costs means quotes are coming in unexpectedly high for a project we've got in the pipeline
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 14:37 - Sep 13 with 3612 viewsVaughan8

WHatever you think it will be, treble it and its about right haha

Definitely get 3 quotes and see what they are like. Some may quote low, but could be a cowboy.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 15:55 - Sep 13 with 3551 viewsWD19

Price of garden landscaping advice please on 12:28 - Sep 13 by giant_stow

Oddly enough, someone asked the same question in the local Walthamstow Facebook group and with a pretty similar spec. I was shocked at the prices - anywhere between £7-£20 K. Then followed a big debate about what's a fair rate!

Doesn't surprise me. My 'gut' was that it was about a £10k job.
Price of garden landscaping advice please on 16:15 - Sep 13 with 3531 viewsHARRY10

Having done similar for years it is hard to give a price - most is never more than guesswork, and what can be 'got away with'

However the best advice you can be given is decide what you want, maybe in tandem with their advice/suggestions THEN GET IT AGREED AND IN WRITING

That way there is no 'mistake' once finished.

For a job this size be very wary of anyone who wants money up front for materials

Be prepared to haggle........ as you are now offering cash

Membership of trade bodies and especially Checkatrader are worthless, and all too often indicate a need to bolster a 'dodgy trader'

Be prepared to wait - and decent tradesman will always be busy, if not then ask yourself why

If he looks and sounds like 'jack the lad'..... guess what ?

And run a mile if anyone has the word 'Solutions' on their van
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024