Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More alarming news... 12:50 - Jan 22 with 6256 viewsDebsyAngel

Been reading up on the Covid vaccines - and was pleased the other day that my doctors are doing it.... well that is what I thought.

They are contacting patients, but sending to just 5 places in Suffolk - Trinity Park is the only one in Ipswich and that is miles from me and I do not drive. And why is it the Pfizer vaccine only? Where is this Oxford one? Where are chemists and other centres that are meant to be opening?

I know it's early days but my Dad has his at his surgery and the Oxford one, due to be done on Tuesday.

I just feel there is no way out of this hell. The dangled carrot moved another 6 months into the future, like it always seems to be, I cannot live like this forever. The longer it goes on, the more I will never get over the anxiety.
More alarming news... on 12:56 - Jan 22 with 3039 viewsBluefish

Why are you bothered which brand it is? And why would be questioning why you can't have the less effective one?

Doing the masses at Central venues just makes a lot of sense. Lots of taxi firms are doing free trips or good deals

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

More alarming news... on 12:58 - Jan 22 with 3059 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 12:56 - Jan 22 by Bluefish

Why are you bothered which brand it is? And why would be questioning why you can't have the less effective one?

Doing the masses at Central venues just makes a lot of sense. Lots of taxi firms are doing free trips or good deals

Not been in a taxi since March 2019. I cannot understand why my 79 year old father is having the Oxford one, and not the Pfizer one. IF there were central venues a lot closer, I would not have a problem with going to one of those.
More alarming news... on 13:00 - Jan 22 with 3008 viewsBluefish

More alarming news... on 12:58 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

Not been in a taxi since March 2019. I cannot understand why my 79 year old father is having the Oxford one, and not the Pfizer one. IF there were central venues a lot closer, I would not have a problem with going to one of those.

Well a taxi would seem to be a good solution

I expect the Oxford one is easier for the oldest part of the population so that they can be more local

Perhaps there is an opportunity to join the doctors queue once the other groups have had theirs if you won't go in a taxi

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 with 3024 viewsfactual_blue

There are at least two surgeries in Ipswich also doing vaccinations - Two Rivers and Ivry Street.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/health/how-to-get-the-covid-vaccine-in-suffolk-68813

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 with 3025 viewsNthQldITFC

Are you in a support bubble with someone who could drive you there? If not, perhaps you could speak to a taxi company and tell them you'd be prepared to pay a little extra for a driver who has a recent negative test, and is particularly careful?

Hang in there fellow blue. Things will start to improve soon.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 with 3018 viewsclive_baker

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Things will improve, stick with it.

Why do you have a preference for the Oxford vaccine?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

More alarming news... on 13:02 - Jan 22 with 3010 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 by clive_baker

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Things will improve, stick with it.

Why do you have a preference for the Oxford vaccine?

Think it;s because of the 12 week gap thing that I prefer the Oxford one, the Pfizer one was never passed to be used like that, it was the 21 day gap between the 2 shots.
More alarming news... on 13:04 - Jan 22 with 2982 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 by factual_blue

There are at least two surgeries in Ipswich also doing vaccinations - Two Rivers and Ivry Street.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/health/how-to-get-the-covid-vaccine-in-suffolk-68813

Ivry Street is a bit far, but Two Rivers, although a bit of a trek, I would not mind.
Login to get fewer ads

More alarming news... on 13:10 - Jan 22 with 2944 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 by factual_blue

Think that depends on what surgery you are at - mine are the ones that tried to get me to have a flu jab on the other side of town, but thankfully got mine done at Boots. Surgeries seem to be choosing the places for you.
More alarming news... on 13:12 - Jan 22 with 2930 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:01 - Jan 22 by NthQldITFC

Are you in a support bubble with someone who could drive you there? If not, perhaps you could speak to a taxi company and tell them you'd be prepared to pay a little extra for a driver who has a recent negative test, and is particularly careful?

Hang in there fellow blue. Things will start to improve soon.

We (me and my husband) are not in a support group - I cannot even consider my parents as they are in a bubble with the old lady next door to them who they help. My Dad is the only one in our family who can drive! Maybe if lockdown is not so severe, he could take me. He did to appointments in early December and I would feel better if he could drive me there and home.
More alarming news... on 13:21 - Jan 22 with 2872 viewsIllinoisblue

More alarming news... on 13:12 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

We (me and my husband) are not in a support group - I cannot even consider my parents as they are in a bubble with the old lady next door to them who they help. My Dad is the only one in our family who can drive! Maybe if lockdown is not so severe, he could take me. He did to appointments in early December and I would feel better if he could drive me there and home.

Do you live in Ipswich? Is a bus an option?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

More alarming news... on 13:24 - Jan 22 with 2859 viewsEireannach_gorm

Don't be alarmed and overthinking this will only make you anxious. Distribution of the various vaccines is based on supply and storage requirements. The Oxford one wins in the local storage area because it can be kept in a normal fridge. I don't know particulars of the roll out in Suffolk or UK even but there have been supply hiccups however that is normal with such incredible demand. Don't panic, if you think this out calmly you will come to a practical solution to your problem.
More alarming news... on 13:26 - Jan 22 with 2856 viewsArnoldMoorhen

More alarming news... on 12:58 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

It's really simple.

The Pfizer vaccine was available first and the Govt signed up for a large number of doses.

However, it has to be stored at very low temperatures, -70 degrees. Large hospitals have some storage capacity at this temperature. It is then "defrosted" prior to use, but there are only a few hours between "defrosting" and it needing to be used or thrown away.

So the Pfizer vaccine is being sent to urban areas where it can be safely stored at the local hospital, defrosted and then given to the large numbers of people in time through big central hubs.

The Oxford vaccine became available later. It can be stored at a higher temperature (but still frozen) and therefore Doctors' surgeries and pharmacies can store and defrost it ready for use. So it is being sent to areas further away from big hospitals, and particularly where Doctors' surgeries have put together a plan for distribution which has been approved.

You are lucky to be offered a vaccine so early, as is your father. There is a bit of a postcode lottery and you are one of the winners.
More alarming news... on 13:27 - Jan 22 with 2845 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:21 - Jan 22 by Illinoisblue

Do you live in Ipswich? Is a bus an option?

Yes, in Ipswich - but our bus service here is rubbish. Every 30 mins up till 6pm. Then no others and no Sunday service. So going to be rubbish to get somewhere when will need 2 different buses
More alarming news... on 13:30 - Jan 22 with 2815 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:26 - Jan 22 by ArnoldMoorhen

It's really simple.

The Pfizer vaccine was available first and the Govt signed up for a large number of doses.

However, it has to be stored at very low temperatures, -70 degrees. Large hospitals have some storage capacity at this temperature. It is then "defrosted" prior to use, but there are only a few hours between "defrosting" and it needing to be used or thrown away.

So the Pfizer vaccine is being sent to urban areas where it can be safely stored at the local hospital, defrosted and then given to the large numbers of people in time through big central hubs.

The Oxford vaccine became available later. It can be stored at a higher temperature (but still frozen) and therefore Doctors' surgeries and pharmacies can store and defrost it ready for use. So it is being sent to areas further away from big hospitals, and particularly where Doctors' surgeries have put together a plan for distribution which has been approved.

You are lucky to be offered a vaccine so early, as is your father. There is a bit of a postcode lottery and you are one of the winners.

I haven't actually been offered it yet! My Dad is the only one, and he is 79 with lots of health issues.

I am 49 and have mild asthma, underactive thyroid and terrible anxiety issues, and an eye problem related to glaucoma. So I am possibly 6th on their priority list, as I get a flu jab every year? Also allergies to penicillin and fish. Not sure if people prone to allergies are safe for the Pfizer one?
[Post edited 22 Jan 2021 13:41]
More alarming news... on 13:46 - Jan 22 with 2776 viewsJ2BLUE

More alarming news... on 13:04 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

Ivry Street is a bit far, but Two Rivers, although a bit of a trek, I would not mind.

I think when you are called you can book an appointment. You might be able to book at an alternative location. If it helps you getting a taxi, earlier in the pandemic there was a hairdresser who had covid. After doing many haircuts where both the hairdresser and customer wore a mask no one became infected.

If you have to get a taxi perhaps you could tell them you want the driver to wear a mask (i'm sure this is policy for companies and 95%+ of independents do it anyway) and you want to crack open the windows a bit. This will help ventilate and you should be ok.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

More alarming news... on 13:47 - Jan 22 with 2765 viewsDebsyAngel

More alarming news... on 13:46 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

I think when you are called you can book an appointment. You might be able to book at an alternative location. If it helps you getting a taxi, earlier in the pandemic there was a hairdresser who had covid. After doing many haircuts where both the hairdresser and customer wore a mask no one became infected.

If you have to get a taxi perhaps you could tell them you want the driver to wear a mask (i'm sure this is policy for companies and 95%+ of independents do it anyway) and you want to crack open the windows a bit. This will help ventilate and you should be ok.

Maybe in the future, this will be an option. I hope so.
More alarming news... on 13:52 - Jan 22 with 2743 viewsJ2BLUE

More alarming news... on 13:30 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

I haven't actually been offered it yet! My Dad is the only one, and he is 79 with lots of health issues.

I am 49 and have mild asthma, underactive thyroid and terrible anxiety issues, and an eye problem related to glaucoma. So I am possibly 6th on their priority list, as I get a flu jab every year? Also allergies to penicillin and fish. Not sure if people prone to allergies are safe for the Pfizer one?

Looks like category six:

When can I get my COVID-19 vaccine if I have asthma?

We have been told that people with asthma who aren’t clinically extremely vulnerable and aged 16-64 will be in priority group 6 for the COVID-19 vaccine, but we are urgently seeking clarity on this.

Source: https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/coronavirus-covid-19/what-should-peopl

Truly impaired.

More alarming news... on 13:59 - Jan 22 with 2720 viewsGuthrum

More alarming news... on 13:46 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

My mother couldn't make her original appointment (the person giving her a lift was not available). So she phoned up and there was no problem with rearranging. Said the whole setup was very efficient. This is in East Cambs, not Ipswich, tho.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

More alarming news... on 14:13 - Jan 22 with 2670 viewsBasuco

My neighbour told me that Addenbrookes hospital are keeping all the Pfizer vaccines at the hospital for staff and the Oxford one is going out in the community, entirely due to storage issues. Suffolk seems to have gone for only a few big vaccination centres, getting to these vaccine centres does not seem to have been thought through. More local alternatives do seem to be on the way, at some point. My wife had to take an 88 year old for hers, she was struggling to get 12 miles to get there. Another neighbour is running the phase 3 vaccine trials in Addenbrookes and has just started the third one, so the younger board members may well have another different one.
More alarming news... on 14:23 - Jan 22 with 2619 viewsIllinoisblue

More alarming news... on 13:27 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

Yes, in Ipswich - but our bus service here is rubbish. Every 30 mins up till 6pm. Then no others and no Sunday service. So going to be rubbish to get somewhere when will need 2 different buses

But if the vaccine can potentially change your life for the better, isn’t that worth two bus rides?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

More alarming news... on 14:34 - Jan 22 with 2585 viewsChurchman

More alarming news... on 13:30 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

Try not to over think things. They will work out as they always do. The vaccines are rigorously tested and whichever you get should protect you from serious life threatening illness. Just remember, 6 months ago it was by no means certain a vaccine could be developed and certainly not this quickly. It is the key to improving the current situation for everyone. So everyone just needs to sit tight and minimise risks to themselves.

In life, you can never remove risk totally, but you can minimise it. I’m sure that there are safe taxi drivers out there and they’d be grateful for anyone’s business. If you wear a mask in the taxi, carry a little hand sanitiser, gloves maybe, avoid touching your face until you’ve washed your hands, you are minimising the risk. You will be absolutely fine. Same principle with the bus.

People in the NHS and others are doing a remarkable job for us in embarking on the largest vaccination programme in history. There will be supply issues and distribution issues. My dad (93), as the Suffolk Coastal MP said on her twitter/FB page did get his letter Weds and is booked for Sunday.

I guess it’s taking longer in Suffolk because of Pfizer storage issues and the Astra vaccine only coming on stream this month. In the past week, more than 2 million vaccinations have been done. Remarkable. So hang in there, it’ll soon be the spring and things will improve, if not for Ipswich Town!
More alarming news... on 14:37 - Jan 22 with 2561 viewsRyorry

More alarming news... on 13:02 - Jan 22 by DebsyAngel

Think it;s because of the 12 week gap thing that I prefer the Oxford one, the Pfizer one was never passed to be used like that, it was the 21 day gap between the 2 shots.

I too would much prefer the Oxford one for the same reasons - if the second Pfizer jab were stretched out to 12 weeks later, or if there were even a small chance it wouldn't be given at all, I'd rather wait & get the Oxford one (which I understand is far more suited to a "stretched" gap of 12 weeks before the second dose is given).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

More alarming news... on 14:41 - Jan 22 with 2539 viewsChurchman

More alarming news... on 14:37 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

I too would much prefer the Oxford one for the same reasons - if the second Pfizer jab were stretched out to 12 weeks later, or if there were even a small chance it wouldn't be given at all, I'd rather wait & get the Oxford one (which I understand is far more suited to a "stretched" gap of 12 weeks before the second dose is given).

I’ll take anything I’m given with mega gratitude tbh.
More alarming news... on 14:44 - Jan 22 with 2516 viewsJ2BLUE

More alarming news... on 14:41 - Jan 22 by Churchman

I’ll take anything I’m given with mega gratitude tbh.

I'm sure Ryorry would as well but it's perfectly acceptable to hope you get offered one where the data suggests it's more suitable for how they've chosen to roll it out.

I'm hoping for the Oxford one as well.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024