Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for Paul Cook 08:50 - Jan 24 with 6394 viewsKeaneish

The Cowleys seem to be a popular choice but the case for Paul Cook is a good one. Still available after rejecting Cardiff in the week he’d be a shoe-in for me.

Prior to resigning at Wigan after their 12-pt deduction, only Guardiola, Klopp and Wilder had won more games in that calendar year. Promotions with all but every English club he’s managed, twice taking clubs from League One to the Championship and securing their status, there’s not a better candidate out there in my opinion.

Given his exploits at Wigan in difficult circumstances he was touted for manager of the year prior to his resignation. In a Times article last year, his care, compassion and due diligence for those involved at the club losing their jobs showed a care of duty beyond expectation which put his name in the running for the award.

While people will point to the Cowleys back to back promotions, Cook took Chesterfield to League One and narrowly missed out on promotion in the play-offs before joining Portsmouth and taking them up. Silverware and UEFA qualification in Ireland too.

From reading a bunch of blogs, he seems to have been loved wherever he’s been. It’s another Paul who likes a 4231 but this is the man for us.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The case for Paul Cook on 08:53 - Jan 24 with 3031 viewsCrockerITFC

Never going to happen I'm afraid
The case for Paul Cook on 08:58 - Jan 24 with 2998 viewsHerbivore

I seriously doubt he'd have much interest in joining us to be honest. I think that's why his name has dropped out of the frame. If you can turn down Cardiff you probably aren't going to be crawling over broken glass to manage Town at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The case for Paul Cook on 09:07 - Jan 24 with 2932 viewsHarry_Palmer

It is true there is a very good case for us wanting Paul Cook as our next Manager, unfortunately there is not such a good case for him wanting us as his next job.
The case for Paul Cook on 09:10 - Jan 24 with 2918 viewsgordon

Think what's happened over the last 14 years at ITFC will make it really difficult to recruit a manager now - we had a chance after McCarthy to get someone decent in but comprehensively messed that up. Now the whole club just looks like a proper basket case.

ME will make a reactive decision based around 'giving fans what they want' and trying to sell season tickets etc for next season, so the next thing he'll try will be someone with an association with the club, and talk about his strategy to 'reverse the negativity that has engulfed the club.'
The case for Paul Cook on 09:18 - Jan 24 with 2861 viewsKeaneish

The case for Paul Cook on 08:58 - Jan 24 by Herbivore

I seriously doubt he'd have much interest in joining us to be honest. I think that's why his name has dropped out of the frame. If you can turn down Cardiff you probably aren't going to be crawling over broken glass to manage Town at the minute.

He turned down Cardiff as he wanted a longer contract than 6-months though, not because of the club and their stature. I think he’d surprise a few and come here. We’d have to move quickly though. Not much chance he’ll stay free for long...

The case for Paul Cook on 09:20 - Jan 24 with 2848 viewsGodBlue

I’m amazed the Cowleys and Cook are still available to be honest.

But my concern isn’t so much which of them I’d prefer (I’d happily have either), it’s whether either of them would fancy the challenge!

Feels like there’s some assumption that we’d have our pick, but I’m not sure that’s true, sadly.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

The case for Paul Cook on 09:20 - Jan 24 with 2843 viewsbrogansnose

If, and its an unknown if, Evans sacks Lambert and has to pay up a substantial amount of his contract, and his assistants, then he'll be looking for the cheap option which may well be Dyer and someone else to assist him. He can then sell this as some sort of return to a basic Ipswich way to sell ST's. I'm not making any case for or against this happening but you also have to factor in , would the Cowleys or Cook actually want the job ?
The case for Paul Cook on 09:23 - Jan 24 with 2814 viewsHerbivore

The case for Paul Cook on 09:18 - Jan 24 by Keaneish

He turned down Cardiff as he wanted a longer contract than 6-months though, not because of the club and their stature. I think he’d surprise a few and come here. We’d have to move quickly though. Not much chance he’ll stay free for long...

Why would he want to come here? He did a really good job last year in the Championship and he's clearly on Championship clubs' radars given he was first choice for Cardiff. Aside from a few of our fans nobody really thinks we're a decent club anymore.

Login to get fewer ads

The case for Paul Cook on 09:25 - Jan 24 with 2793 viewswkj

I think we're putting cook on a pedestal. Decent manager but I have a hard time seeing him able to take our club and perform miracles.

I don't think ITFC are particularly appealing for any manager with a bit of history, here is why

1. Even though we've been justified with Lambert, we've now got a reputation as fans for turning toxic.

2. Backs up agaisnt the wall with a mismatched squad looking to conform to the salary cap.

3. Whilst Evans pays managers well, you can't expect a whole lot or key investments.

4. The pressure is immense, if we do go up a good chunk of fans will probably have the same expectations in the championship before we went down.

For the longest time I was begging for David Artell, but even he is probably above us in the manager stock market.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The case for Paul Cook on 09:28 - Jan 24 with 2769 viewsIpswichKnight

The case for Paul Cook on 09:20 - Jan 24 by GodBlue

I’m amazed the Cowleys and Cook are still available to be honest.

But my concern isn’t so much which of them I’d prefer (I’d happily have either), it’s whether either of them would fancy the challenge!

Feels like there’s some assumption that we’d have our pick, but I’m not sure that’s true, sadly.

100% the Cowleys would be interested ( my cousin knows them ). It will come down to does ME want them he talked to them in December 2017 he wasn’t that taken with them.
The case for Paul Cook on 09:29 - Jan 24 with 2763 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I fear the only candidates we can now attract are Graham Westly, Glen Roeder, Mr Blobby, Gaza's.

My weight is behind blobby

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

The case for Paul Cook on 09:29 - Jan 24 with 2760 viewsCrockerITFC

We've become a real manager graveyard over the last decade, no chance anyone with a brain would come here unless they're looking for a payout. The club is rotten to the core and it's something I highly doubt we will ever come back from. The only way forward for us is to go for an unproven manager now. Someone who has everything to gain from being a manager of Ipswich Town and everything to lose if they want a career in football management. Going for someone who already has a name in football or has achieved something is where we've gone wrong at every step over the last few years. With the exception of Mick's first two seasons.
The case for Paul Cook on 09:43 - Jan 24 with 2667 viewsRadlett_blue

The case for Paul Cook on 09:28 - Jan 24 by IpswichKnight

100% the Cowleys would be interested ( my cousin knows them ). It will come down to does ME want them he talked to them in December 2017 he wasn’t that taken with them.

Why do some supporters seem obsessed with the Cowley brothers? They've had some success in the lower leagues, playing fairly agricultural football. On paper, Paul Hurst was far better qualified & we all know how well that turned out.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The case for Paul Cook on 09:47 - Jan 24 with 2653 viewsitfcjoe

The case for Paul Cook on 09:23 - Jan 24 by Herbivore

Why would he want to come here? He did a really good job last year in the Championship and he's clearly on Championship clubs' radars given he was first choice for Cardiff. Aside from a few of our fans nobody really thinks we're a decent club anymore.

That's really not the case, we are still an attractive proposition and I think most will be surprised by the type of manager we can still attract

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The case for Paul Cook on 09:49 - Jan 24 with 2630 viewsbrogansnose

The case for Paul Cook on 09:47 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

That's really not the case, we are still an attractive proposition and I think most will be surprised by the type of manager we can still attract

Who do you fancy for it Joe ?
The case for Paul Cook on 09:51 - Jan 24 with 2615 viewsitfcjoe

The case for Paul Cook on 09:49 - Jan 24 by brogansnose

Who do you fancy for it Joe ?

Personally I'd say the Cowley's.

I worry Cook is just a short term on the pitch manager and that will get us nowhere. If the Cowley's can do anything like what they did for Lincoln, for us, then we will be in a good place.

They drove the club forwards on and off the pitch, and brought the Community and the City along with it, the club was totally transformed.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The case for Paul Cook on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 2565 viewsbrogansnose

The case for Paul Cook on 09:51 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

I worry Cook is just a short term on the pitch manager and that will get us nowhere. If the Cowley's can do anything like what they did for Lincoln, for us, then we will be in a good place.

They drove the club forwards on and off the pitch, and brought the Community and the City along with it, the club was totally transformed.

It's that last bit that I like the sound of. When we have the change , then I feel it has to come with some sort of revitalisation and transformation of the club across the board. It's got to be more than just swopping managers for the long term integrity and viablity of the club.
The case for Paul Cook on 09:57 - Jan 24 with 2556 viewsITFCBlues

Any noises that PL will go? Just frustrating now. Time is being wasted. We've already left it far too late for top 6.

On the Cowleys, will ME go for them seeming as they don't really play attractive football?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

The case for Paul Cook on 10:02 - Jan 24 with 2539 viewsScuzzer

At least we would have a better understanding of what he was saying.

Established 1968

The case for Paul Cook on 10:08 - Jan 24 with 2512 viewsBlueBadger

NO MORE MANAGERS CALLED PAUL.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The case for Paul Cook on 10:10 - Jan 24 with 2503 viewsmonty_radio

The case for Paul Cook on 09:25 - Jan 24 by wkj

I think we're putting cook on a pedestal. Decent manager but I have a hard time seeing him able to take our club and perform miracles.

I don't think ITFC are particularly appealing for any manager with a bit of history, here is why

1. Even though we've been justified with Lambert, we've now got a reputation as fans for turning toxic.

2. Backs up agaisnt the wall with a mismatched squad looking to conform to the salary cap.

3. Whilst Evans pays managers well, you can't expect a whole lot or key investments.

4. The pressure is immense, if we do go up a good chunk of fans will probably have the same expectations in the championship before we went down.

For the longest time I was begging for David Artell, but even he is probably above us in the manager stock market.

"Turning toxic"? I don't get that. Some who feel cheated out of losing Mick (whom the great majority wanted gone, including some of our most respected friends in the press) pop up to keep that trope alive, but I don't buy it.

Fans in greater Suffolk remain as they have ever been, extremely patient when measured against the football hotbeds. There have been 2+ years of a manager who took us down without a whimper, and continuing abject failure to make an impression at this level with a squad which, while it may not be as good as some claim, is quite good enough for the job in-hand. Now what, a few posters appear around the town, that won't largely be seen and some on here (which is not the wider world) up the tone of their language a bit, which, while I personally don't like it, is mild when you visit certain other boards.

Read Mick Mills today; read the Guardian piece, and others. See what Ali has been saying on Quest. The national finger of blame (as far as we now have a national profile) is now wagging hard at the management and above.

Rarely indeed does any mangager step into a new post and into an atmosphere of congenial bonhomie. Discontent is, sadly, the passkey to change. This "toxic" charge will go unregarded by any manager wanting the job - it's the constraints and the lack of structure that might, however, provide its own warning.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The case for Paul Cook on 10:13 - Jan 24 with 2479 viewsdavblue

The case for Paul Cook on 09:28 - Jan 24 by IpswichKnight

It will be Megson, Dave Bassett or Howard Wilkinson, they’ve all got promotions on their cv for over 10 years ago.
The case for Paul Cook on 10:14 - Jan 24 with 2470 viewsKeaneish

Some managers just suit certain clubs though and that’s my worry with the Cowleys. Cook has done it at 4 different clubs. Agree we’re a massive club still with a big draw, as big as he would have managed too. He opted for Wigan when at Portsmouth so he clearly has pedigree of making choices based on different motives than club size, position and standing.

Nothing but positive what I’ve read on Cook.

The case for Paul Cook on 10:16 - Jan 24 with 2451 viewsRomeo4

Cook has been my choice for a good while now but at this stage I’d take anyone (within reason) just to get rid of PL and hopefully spark some life back into our club.

I do fear that with every game that goes by we become a less desirable proposition for any perspective new manager. The time to change is long overdue.

I do wonder whether Evans is actually quite accepting of a League one future. The wage bill reduces hence leading to a potential wider positive margin. The flaw in this plan and the aspect I’m not sure he understands fully is that the revenues will vastly reduce as many (loyal) supporters will stop spending our precious money on STs and other associated purchases.

It’s a real mess and getting worse every week.
The case for Paul Cook on 10:18 - Jan 24 with 2434 viewsHerbivore

When you look at how Lincoln are performing currently it does rather suggest that the Cowleys put in some solid foundations there for the club to continue pushing on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024