Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran 11:38 - Jan 24 with 12543 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Me and the missus got a bit squiffy Friday night and were playing songs for each other and dancing/singing. I played her The Reflex, which she was aware of but didn't know the lyrics.

It occurred to me that I might not know them exactly so I looked them up and had indeed got a few wrong. But it never occurred to me, since I was a kid when it came out, what it all meant. And it seemed to be a load of nonsense...

You've gone too far this time
But I'm dancing on the Valentine
I tell you somebody's fooling around
With my chances on the danger line
I'll cross that bridge when I find it
Another day to make my stand, oh woah
High time is no time for deciding
If I should find a helping hand, oh woah
Why don't you use it?
Try not to bruise it
Buy time, don't lose it
Oh, why don't you use it?
Try not to bruise it
Buy time, don't lose it
The reflex is a lonely child, who's waiting by the park
The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark
And watching over lucky clover, isn't that bizarre?
And every little thing the reflex does
Leaves you answered with a question mark
I'm on a ride and I want to get off
But they won't slow down the roundabout
I sold the Renoir and TV set
Don't wanna be around when this gets out
So, why don't you use it?
Try not to bruise it
Buy time, don't lose it
Why don't you use it?
The reflex is a lonely child, he's waiting in the park
Leaves an answer with a question mark, play
So, why don't you use it?
Try not to bruise it
Buy time, don't lose it
The reflex is a lonely child who's waiting by the park
Leaves me answered with a question mark
Oh, the reflex, what a game, he's hiding all the cards

Then I went on songmeanings.com and although this is only one person's interpretation, it all makes sense;

"'The Reflex' means a gambling addiction.

This song is about card-player with a gambling addiction. "I sold the radio and the TV set" is typical behavior; dad is pawning the things in the house to pay off debts or get money to get back in the game."Watching over four-leaf cover" (CLUBS) and "dancing on the valentine" (HEARTS).

Your family suffers, because you're not there:
"The reflex is a lonely child who is waiting by the park"
He didn't pick up the kids when he was supposed to!

He's sneaking through the house at night in the dark, pinching stuff to pawn for his gambling addiction.
"The reflex is a door to finding Treasure in the dark."

Gamblers are supersticious, looking for 4-leaf clovers, rubbing their rabbits foots, kissing the blarney stone.
"And watching over lucky clover Isn't that bizarre" to them!

They put everything one a sure thing and then are stunned when they lose it all.
"Every little thing the reflex does Must be answered with a question mark."

"The Reflex" is that rush when a gambler feels lucky and he can't help but play one more hand!! But you end up losing.

Duran Duran's Simon LeBon had a father and a grandfather who were serious gamblers."

Fascinating stuff after all these years! Anyone else found out a song they've loved for years was about something totally different to what they thought, or they just didn't have a clue about either way?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 11:45 - Jan 24 with 12488 viewsKeno

I never knew that

I was expecting something along the lines of "turning Japanese"

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 11:55 - Jan 24 with 12452 viewsFixed_It

That's actually pretty impressive lyric writing. Thanks for sharing

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 12:01 - Jan 24 with 12431 viewsDebsyAngel

Loved the song since first heard it but never had a clue what it was about! Thanks for sharing that, and nice to understand now!
I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 12:21 - Jan 24 with 12380 viewsmrshallisfit

I thought it was about having a constant need to take Rennie.
I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 13:39 - Jan 24 with 12267 viewsNthQldITFC

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 12:21 - Jan 24 by mrshallisfit

I thought it was about having a constant need to take Rennie.

That was the acid house version, I think.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 13:58 - Jan 24 with 12223 viewsEdwardStone

There just doesn't seem to be that many good, happy wholesome songs about murdering prostitutes
I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 14:44 - Jan 24 with 12151 viewsPlums

That’s fascinating. I happened to turn over the TV a few nights ago and one of those TOTP programmes was on. The year was ‘87 and Carol Decker was talking about T’pau’s hit album Bridge of Spies (I’ve always had a soft spot for them as they were the first ‘big’ live band I saw). She went on to explain that she wrote China in Your Hand after reading about a young Mary Shelley writing Frankenstein. I’d always assumed it was a soppy love song...

It was a theme she had
On a scheme he had
Told in a foreign land
To take life on earth
To the second birth
And the man was in command
It was a flight on the wings
Of a young girl's dreams
That flew too far away
Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hand
Don't wish too hard because they may come true
And you can't help them
You don't know what you might have set upon yourself
China in your hand
Come from greed
Never born of the seed
Took a life from a barren hand
Oh eyes wide
Like a child in the form of man
A prophecy for a fantasy
The curse of a vivid mind
Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hand
Don't wish too hard because they may come true
And you can't help them
You don't know what you might have set upon yourself
China in your hand

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:16 - Jan 24 with 12095 viewsWonky

Only just realised this is about.... badgers!

Lyrics

Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers, Badgers
Login to get fewer ads

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:21 - Jan 24 with 12085 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 11:55 - Jan 24 by Fixed_It

That's actually pretty impressive lyric writing. Thanks for sharing

It is isn't it? And when you compare it to a lot of pop music, it's way deeper and cleverer than many.

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:28 - Jan 24 with 12068 viewsjeera

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:21 - Jan 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

It is isn't it? And when you compare it to a lot of pop music, it's way deeper and cleverer than many.

Like you say, that is from a fan's POV, although it certainly makes some sense of what I also assumed was just garbled rubbish.

Le Bon did seem to dismiss several of their hits as nonsense himself years ago though.

It would be interesting to hear his/their take on this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:57 - Jan 24 with 12022 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:28 - Jan 24 by jeera

Like you say, that is from a fan's POV, although it certainly makes some sense of what I also assumed was just garbled rubbish.

Le Bon did seem to dismiss several of their hits as nonsense himself years ago though.

It would be interesting to hear his/their take on this.

True. You're wise beyond your years Jeera.

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 16:47 - Jan 24 with 11961 viewsBryanPlug

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 11:45 - Jan 24 by Keno

I never knew that

I was expecting something along the lines of "turning Japanese"

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 17:55 - Jan 24 with 11865 viewsjeera

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 15:57 - Jan 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

True. You're wise beyond your years Jeera.

Well, I think we can safely say that's not true.

But your version does make me feel a bit less stupid for dancing about to it as a teenager.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 19:12 - Jan 24 with 11789 viewsTrequartista

I'd always thought it was about Paul Cooper's penalty saving technique

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 19:15 - Jan 24 with 11779 viewsGlasgowBlue

I always thought it was about w@nking.

Average album tracked turned into an absolute masterpiece by Nile Rodgers.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 19:28 - Jan 24 with 11746 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I just found out the meaning of The Reflex by Duran Duran on 19:15 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

I always thought it was about w@nking.

Average album tracked turned into an absolute masterpiece by Nile Rodgers.

What did Nile Rodgers do?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024