Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just made some fresh pasta for the first time 15:09 - Jan 24 with 1862 viewsBent_double

Got a pasta maker for Christmas, thought it was about time I tried it out.

Boy, it's hard work - would've been easier (and less messy) to pop over to Italy and buy it fresh there.

Turned out OK, had it with some nice tomato and basil sauce (cheated with that, had a tub on offer in Sainsburys yesterday.

Think I'll have to watch a few youtube vids on making the dough and using the machine though, otherwise it's gonna be a lot of effort to do it again.

Anyone out there make their own?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:13 - Jan 24 with 1833 viewsfooters

It gets a lot easier (and cleaner) after a few goes at it. Do find the machine can be a bit fiddly, but that's probably down to me being cack-handed than the machine itself!

Once you've had a few goes with plain pasta, try adding flavours into the dough :)

It really is worth the effort to make fresh, although many Italians will just use dried for everyday cooking so it's not the be all and end all if you can't be arsed!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:14 - Jan 24 with 1828 viewsjeera

I've been meaning to but wanted to see how you got on first!

Good effort btw.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:14 - Jan 24 with 1824 viewswkj

Fresh pasta is nice, very nice, but generally not worth all the pissing about.*

*Unless you have a good mixer with dough hook.

I made pasta a few times and found that the effort for regular meals doesn't make it better than store brand dry pasta- though if you're trying to impress someone for a fancy meal then it might make sense.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:15 - Jan 24 with 1827 viewsStokieBlue

Making pasta can be a bit of a faff but once you've done it a few times you get used to how the dough should feel and how many times you need to run it through the machine at each size. I'm sure with a few more goes you'll have it sorted. I only ever do it to make stuffed pasta, never for pasta that just goes with a sauce.

A couple of weeks ago I made a confit duck raviolo with an egg yolk so that when someone cuts into the pasta the yolk runs and becomes a rich sauce.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:18 - Jan 24 with 1797 viewsfooters

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:15 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

Making pasta can be a bit of a faff but once you've done it a few times you get used to how the dough should feel and how many times you need to run it through the machine at each size. I'm sure with a few more goes you'll have it sorted. I only ever do it to make stuffed pasta, never for pasta that just goes with a sauce.

A couple of weeks ago I made a confit duck raviolo with an egg yolk so that when someone cuts into the pasta the yolk runs and becomes a rich sauce.

SB

Hear that, guys? Stokie's inviting us all over for tea at his gaff, no expense spared!

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:19 - Jan 24 with 1796 viewsChurchman

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:13 - Jan 24 by footers

It gets a lot easier (and cleaner) after a few goes at it. Do find the machine can be a bit fiddly, but that's probably down to me being cack-handed than the machine itself!

Once you've had a few goes with plain pasta, try adding flavours into the dough :)

It really is worth the effort to make fresh, although many Italians will just use dried for everyday cooking so it's not the be all and end all if you can't be arsed!

Yes, I remember some Italian chef woman years ago saying on tv that the Italians only make pasta for special occasions and go with the usual packet stuff most of the time. Er indoors has made it on the odd occasion and it’s lovely - but an awful lot of effort.
Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:20 - Jan 24 with 1790 viewsBent_double

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:13 - Jan 24 by footers

Yeah, they don't make the machines easy to clean do they!

Hopefully I'll stick with it, but it is a lot of faffing for something that's cheap and easy to buy.

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:21 - Jan 24 with 1784 viewsBent_double

SB

Respect.

Login to get fewer ads

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:22 - Jan 24 with 1778 viewsjeera

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:14 - Jan 24 by wkj

Fresh pasta is nice, very nice, but generally not worth all the pissing about.*

*Unless you have a good mixer with dough hook.

I made pasta a few times and found that the effort for regular meals doesn't make it better than store brand dry pasta- though if you're trying to impress someone for a fancy meal then it might make sense.

Plus of course fresh pasta is on sale pretty much everywhere.

That's not to dismiss the fine efforts of home-made naturally.

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:22 - Jan 24 with 1779 viewsjontysnut

We got ours out of the garage in the first lockdown when people were panic buying. Made a batch that you could lag pipes with and put it back again - next to the yoghurt maker and juicer.
Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:31 - Jan 24 with 1755 viewsBLUEBEAT

I got to the same stage as you and that was it, sadly.

It’s a massive amount of time, effort and mess.

It’s so easy to get very decent, fresh pasta these days - and probably works out cheaper too!

Poll: W or W

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:32 - Jan 24 with 1747 viewsChurchman

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:22 - Jan 24 by jontysnut

We got ours out of the garage in the first lockdown when people were panic buying. Made a batch that you could lag pipes with and put it back again - next to the yoghurt maker and juicer.

Another gadget gathering dust is the Breville sandwich toaster. Great idea! Well it is until you use it. The faff preparing it in a way that works just to produce a butter loaded container for molten lava was incredible. Hands and face burns guaranteed followed by the joy of cleaning the spot welded gunge off it.

The fondu set is wedged in the back of the cupboard somewhere too. All that effort for a fat laden dinner that takes all night. Set fire to the tablecloth with one of those after overfilling the little burner thing.
Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:33 - Jan 24 with 1743 viewsjeera

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:31 - Jan 24 by BLUEBEAT

I got to the same stage as you and that was it, sadly.

It’s a massive amount of time, effort and mess.

It’s so easy to get very decent, fresh pasta these days - and probably works out cheaper too!

Always looks easy on the TV.

And also, if Richard Ayoade can manage it, then how hard can it be?

Although I do genuinely believe he hated every moment he was forced to do so.

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:43 - Jan 24 with 1699 viewsJ2BLUE

Life is too short...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:56 - Jan 24 with 1653 viewsfactual_blue

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:43 - Jan 24 by J2BLUE

Life is too short...

I think we'd all love of photo of your pasta making efforts.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:01 - Jan 24 with 1650 viewsfooters

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 15:56 - Jan 24 by factual_blue

I think we'd all love of photo of your pasta making efforts.

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:03 - Jan 24 with 1649 viewsfactual_blue

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:01 - Jan 24 by footers

There are those, of course, who describe J2 as a real pasta-maker.

Although I may have misheard them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:49 - Jan 24 with 1576 viewsMonkeyAlan

God you must be bored.
Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:50 - Jan 24 with 1576 viewsfooters

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 16:49 - Jan 24 by MonkeyAlan

God you must be bored.

Fresh pasta's a good egg really.

Just made some fresh pasta for the first time on 17:16 - Jan 24 with 1546 viewseastangliaisblue

SB

Show off.

(I'm only jealous that you can make raviolo.)
[Post edited 24 Jan 2021 17:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024