Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most underwhelming replacement? 10:36 - Jan 25 with 6047 viewsclive_baker

Of the realistic candidates, who would you say is the worst option?

Chambers has to be up there for me. I like the guy, and he may well go on to have a good managerial career, but I really think that transition from teammate (albeit captain) to manager is a tough one. I want to see some fresh blood who can bring 2 or 3 staff with him and shake things up a bit, get that reaction on the training ground where people are out to prove themselves again.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Most underwhelming replacement? on 18:25 - Jan 25 with 1108 viewsBluearmy71

Most underwhelming replacement? on 10:44 - Jan 25 by BaltachaFanClub

Personally, I hate the idea of the Cowleys, something about Danny really irritates me, he comes across as a bit of a knob, the “its Not fair” category of manager, who is also a bit of a teachers pet, similar in the manner how we are all supposed to like Eddie Howe, and you mustn’t mention when he left Bournemouth for Burnley.

It’s personal impression, but I don’t like them, (Cowley and Howe)

I am also underwhelmed by Paul Cook, having watched a reasonable amount of his management, I don’t think it would fit well with our current squad, we aren’t great at counter-attack, nor route one, and he leans heavily on both.

If we were to sack Lambert tomorrow, I would expect Evans to either write the season off (typically) and take time in an appointment, or have someone in place immediately, the latter would mean the next boss is currently out of work, or already here.

And no, I don’t have a good answer as to who we should go for, I think the talent pool for our particular task is very shallow at the moment.

I'm totally with you on not wanting the Cowleys!

We need to get back to our roots, its been far too long since we had a manager with any sort of connection to the club either as player or coach, I really can't look past Dyer and an old head to guide him for a couple of years!

People have listed some good managers they would like to take over, Howe imo is a really good manager, I've seen a little of how Cook likes his sides to play and would not be adverse to either of them, the trouble is we can all speculate but whether any of our opinions of who should be next manager would be on a shortlist written up by ME is another matter, once he creates his list that's when I'll be able to say with conviction to whom I wouldn't want!
Most underwhelming replacement? on 18:36 - Jan 25 with 1093 viewsistanblue

Guarantee Chambers isn't even in the running. Worst possible candidates would be Grayson, Adkins or Parkinson.
Most underwhelming replacement? on 19:00 - Jan 25 with 1067 viewsmarcus1642

Lambert will be in charge right up to the point where it will be mathematically impossible to reach the playoffs. So talk of a new manager is premature.

As a whole, I think our situation will get much worse before it gets better.
Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:05 - Jan 25 with 1020 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:40 - Jan 25 by braveblue

What possible reason is there to try Chambers?

Can’t see that happening. If it’s an internal appointment then Dyer and Butcher would be in the box seat imo.

I wouldn’t be too unhappy at Grayson. Did a decent job at PNE. He may be a bit Mick like for some but I think he’d be a fairly safe appointment. Pardew on the other hand...

I must admit I’m coming round to the idea of the Cowleys. I hated the way the played at Lincoln but I suspect that they will play to the strengths of what they have. I think they would be a decent fit for us.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:11 - Jan 25 with 1013 viewsKropotkin123

Most underwhelming replacement? on 11:16 - Jan 25 by BelsteadCav

So, some ex player with a bad attitude is going to just walk in and turn it around.

People are living in dream land if they think he’s the answer.

We need someone who actually knows what they’re doing.

"Bad attitude"? Prove it. This is the type of nonsense that allows racial bias to persist.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:13 - Jan 25 with 1012 viewsKropotkin123

Most underwhelming replacement? on 13:14 - Jan 25 by daisyisabaddog

Couldn't agree more. I met him briefly once. He struggles with big words and long sentences.

Racial trope.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:15 - Jan 25 with 1006 viewsjeera

Most underwhelming replacement? on 18:25 - Jan 25 by Bluearmy71

I'm totally with you on not wanting the Cowleys!

We need to get back to our roots, its been far too long since we had a manager with any sort of connection to the club either as player or coach, I really can't look past Dyer and an old head to guide him for a couple of years!

People have listed some good managers they would like to take over, Howe imo is a really good manager, I've seen a little of how Cook likes his sides to play and would not be adverse to either of them, the trouble is we can all speculate but whether any of our opinions of who should be next manager would be on a shortlist written up by ME is another matter, once he creates his list that's when I'll be able to say with conviction to whom I wouldn't want!

Nothing against Kieron but this suggestion he should be boss with a wise head guiding him is confusing.

If he needs an old head then it's him who needs to be manager with Kieron at his side learning, not the other way around.

Clearly doing well with the U23s and hope he is future senior manager material.

I don't know how far along with his coaching formalities he's got, i.e. his badges.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 23:24]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:17 - Jan 25 with 1003 viewsjeera

Most underwhelming replacement? on 23:11 - Jan 25 by Kropotkin123

"Bad attitude"? Prove it. This is the type of nonsense that allows racial bias to persist.

I must admit I meant to ask Bill about that.

If referring to him when he was a youngster then it's daft to assume he's anything like the same person who hasn't since grown up. Just like everyone else.

The guy has been nothing but loyal to the club even when playing at the other end of the country in the Prem.

Login to get fewer ads

Most underwhelming replacement? on 00:52 - Jan 26 with 961 viewsWeWereZombies

Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:46 - Jan 25 by wkj

John Greggory.

Don't put it past Evans to do this.

It's between him and Phil Brown then....

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Most underwhelming replacement? on 09:35 - Jan 26 with 902 viewsLeaky

Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:46 - Jan 25 by wkj

John Greggory.

Don't put it past Evans to do this.

I was a school in St. Neots with john Gregory, he would be in his mid 60's now & probably retired
Most underwhelming replacement? on 09:49 - Jan 26 with 887 viewsWeWereZombies

Most underwhelming replacement? on 09:35 - Jan 26 by Leaky

I was a school in St. Neots with john Gregory, he would be in his mid 60's now & probably retired

Possibly, but...

'On 17 March 2018, he led Chennaiyin to their second Indian Super League title by defeating Bengaluru 3—2 in the finals. On 19 March 2018, Gregory extended his contract for one year.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gregory_(footballer)

What was Gregory like as a schoolboy? err, that doesn't sound good...asking for a friend...oh crap, we are into the weirdest type of procurement now...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Most underwhelming replacement? on 10:26 - Jan 26 with 861 viewsLeaky

Most underwhelming replacement? on 09:49 - Jan 26 by WeWereZombies

Possibly, but...

'On 17 March 2018, he led Chennaiyin to their second Indian Super League title by defeating Bengaluru 3—2 in the finals. On 19 March 2018, Gregory extended his contract for one year.'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gregory_(footballer)

What was Gregory like as a schoolboy? err, that doesn't sound good...asking for a friend...oh crap, we are into the weirdest type of procurement now...

Wasn't in his class as a student, as I was a couple of years older, certainly not as a footballer.
you could see at an early age he would make it in the professional game. We had him & Chris Turner. Chris went on to play for & manage Posh I think may have been chairman as well.
Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:46 - Jan 26 with 826 viewsEdmundo

Most underwhelming replacement? on 11:16 - Jan 25 by BelsteadCav

So, some ex player with a bad attitude is going to just walk in and turn it around.

People are living in dream land if they think he’s the answer.

We need someone who actually knows what they’re doing.

I'm sure that was the conversation in the pubs when Burley and Robson were appointed, but someone like Dyer has the respect, the determination (he's got to be more motivated than most ex-Town given he missed our best years in his career, and wants to be a part of it again), and he has the backing of Butcher, who has been round the block as a manager at a similar level to this.
Let's not kid ourselves, Evans wants to do this on the cheap, and this is the best "cheap" option by far. Dyer would have the ear of all the Academy coaches, knows the developing youngsters... he's a shoo-in for me

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:49 - Jan 26 with 824 viewsjeera

Most underwhelming replacement? on 15:46 - Jan 26 by Edmundo

I'm sure that was the conversation in the pubs when Burley and Robson were appointed, but someone like Dyer has the respect, the determination (he's got to be more motivated than most ex-Town given he missed our best years in his career, and wants to be a part of it again), and he has the backing of Butcher, who has been round the block as a manager at a similar level to this.
Let's not kid ourselves, Evans wants to do this on the cheap, and this is the best "cheap" option by far. Dyer would have the ear of all the Academy coaches, knows the developing youngsters... he's a shoo-in for me

Does he choose his managers on the cheap?

I was under the impression that the accusations levelled at him are usually that he spends a lot on his managers but skimps on the playing staff.

Not sure that tallies.

Most underwhelming replacement? on 16:54 - Jan 26 with 783 viewsMonkeyAlan

Cowley brothers. Very underwhelming. Definitely not Chambers. He isn't the answer. Nor is Dyer, as for who is lve no idea. The job is a busted flush whilst Evans is owner.
Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:03 - Jan 26 with 774 viewsSwansea_Blue

Most underwhelming replacement? on 11:24 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

Got the UEFA coaching badges that suggest he does know what he’s doing. Listen to the podcasts where he talks to the players like El-Miz he comes across there as someone who sees an issue and fixes it. Found a culture in the U18’s where it was accepted that a loss didn’t matter he changed that. He keeps getting teams to win at U18 and U23 level. I’d be happy to have him if he wanted the job.

It's not as if the guy could do any more at this stage of his career. Always a punt of course but he seems to consistently produce teams that win and look like they're enjoying their footie.

I'm increasingly thinking he'd be worth a gamble. Someone will pick him up if he carries on like he is doing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:18 - Jan 26 with 761 viewshappybeingblue

mark hughes
Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:21 - Jan 26 with 756 viewshappybeingblue

Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:18 - Jan 26 by happybeingblue

mark hughes

paul cook would be a good choice i think plays attractive footy
Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:25 - Jan 26 with 745 viewsPilgrimblue

In time maybe but now we need new faces that the players will respond to. Clearly Dyer and Butcher are working but somehow I don't think that Evans will respond to fans choices.
Most underwhelming replacement? on 17:53 - Jan 26 with 728 viewstractorshark

haven't posted for a while due to apathy and it all getting a bit shouty but...

I would have reservations with Dyer on the basis that he lacks managerial experience and is probably too much of a nice guy to turn around the situation we are in, and with the playing personnel and ownership that we've got. I can see him getting walked over and the honeymoon period ending very sharpish. Love the fact he's Ipswich through and through but I'm not sure the heart should rule the head. Yes, he has done ok with the kids but the kids that have made it into the first team have already shown they won't get us promoted right now. It's a different level.

I wouldn't give it to Chambers either and I wouldn't take Burley, Butcher or any of the old guard back as No1 or No2. In many eyes, Magilton has become a better Ipswich manager than he really was. They are all great servants to the club but the game has moved on and we need someone who can attract players. Since Evans took away the chequebook, the only manager who has been able to do that is McCarthy. The only former player I'd welcome back is Mowbray and that ain't going to happen.

I also have mixed feelings about Paul Cook. I know a lot of people on here saw the Pompey cup games and base their judgement on that but I know a quite a few Portsmouth fans from living in the south and their opinion is very mixed. There is a feeling he underachieved with the squad he had and totally messed up promotion in his first year. In fairness, he did get promoted the second season but the Portsmouth people I speak to are mainly of the belief that he couldn't screw it up twice with the resources at his disposal. (I give you Paul Lambert)

For me, the Cowleys are probably the pick of a limited bunch but we are League One and that's a reflection of our status. When people on this forum said a season in League One wouldn't do us any harm, I did point out it took six for Sheffield United to get out of it.

Right now, we look like we're in it for the long haul unless we choose wisely with Lambert's replacement.

Unfortunately, that decision rests in the hands of Marcus Evans...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024