Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams 15:55 - Jan 25 with 5458 viewsRyorry

"Invitation to accept or reject your coronavirus vaccination" - arrived in my junk mail this morning.

"NHS - National Health Service" (complete with usual NHS logo)

"Confirm your coronavirus vaccination
You are selected
The NHS is performing selections for coronavirus vaccination on the basis of family genetics and medical history.
You have been selected to receive a coronavirus vaccination.

Use this service to confirm your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination.

You will need to:

have 2 doses of the coronavirus vaccination at 2 appointments
book both appointments at the same time
get the 2nd dose 3 to 4 weeks after getting your 1st dose
Who can use this service
You can only use this service if you have received an email/SMS regarding this invitation. You can not use this service for anyone other than yourself.

You are also free to reject this invitation, your appointment will be issued to the next person in line in that case.

Please confirm or reject your invitation by selecting an option below."

Well of course I was initially delighted, but when you click "accept" as I did, you're then taken to a new window where you fill in ALL your personal details - full name, geog addy, DOB, mother's maiden name. You then continue via another new window - where you're asked for your credit card & bank details!! at which point I obviously hit the back-button & deleted every bit of info before closing the window.

Then copied the email address it had come from <info@takebuchi-sr.net> . Please warn your older rellies/friends, as they may well be expecting vacc invitations fairly soon. I'll also be reporting this to 'Which' mag, who are currently keeping a watch on this tye of scam in particular.

Grrr!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:07 - Jan 25 with 3929 viewshomer_123

Without wanting to panic you.....if you completed the first page with Name, DOB etc. then they now have that information. :(

It's a horrible scam.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:10 - Jan 25 with 3898 viewsbluelagos

Perfect time for the scammers - as lots of older people are expecting an email/invite atm.

See also this piece of sh1t.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55680856

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:12 - Jan 25 with 3875 viewsbluelagos

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:07 - Jan 25 by homer_123

Without wanting to panic you.....if you completed the first page with Name, DOB etc. then they now have that information. :(

It's a horrible scam.

But they won't have her Bank details and/or credit card details.

Most of the that info (DOB, address etc.) would be easily available in any case Rjorry, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:14 - Jan 25 with 3850 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:07 - Jan 25 by homer_123

It's a horrible scam.

I didn't submit it

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:15 - Jan 25 with 3837 viewsBloomBlue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:12 - Jan 25 by bluelagos

Most of the that info (DOB, address etc.) would be easily available in any case Rjorry, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep.

Although by clicking on the link it's feasible it's installed something on their device.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 with 3825 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:12 - Jan 25 by bluelagos

I'll soon know if they got it, as also gave my mobile number, which v. few ppl have as I barely use it. If I start getting adverts ...

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 with 3829 viewsFoD_Blue

I got exactly the same email. I was dubious straight away as I’m only in the over 50’s group so wouldn’t expect to hear anything yet.
One thing that does annoy me is that Outlook decided to notify me of this as a focused email. However at the same time, the confirmation of buying my AwayDays beer went to my junk folder.

Just a quick check of the address in the link makes it fairly obvious that it is a scam, but if you don’t know what to look for I guess it can be easy to get caught out.

On my email, the garbaged email subject also set the alarm bells off:

IMPORTANT - Public Health Message| Decide whether if you want to be vaccinated - Message on 12-January-21 14:57:11 BST - Your NHS.CO.UK order #203-9320557-23482748 has been dispatched
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 with 3824 viewsGavTWTD

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:14 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I didn't submit it

Going to the next page or window is submitting it.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Login to get fewer ads

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:19 - Jan 25 with 3801 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 by FoD_Blue

I got exactly the same email. I was dubious straight away as I’m only in the over 50’s group so wouldn’t expect to hear anything yet.
One thing that does annoy me is that Outlook decided to notify me of this as a focused email. However at the same time, the confirmation of buying my AwayDays beer went to my junk folder.

Just a quick check of the address in the link makes it fairly obvious that it is a scam, but if you don’t know what to look for I guess it can be easy to get caught out.

IMPORTANT - Public Health Message| Decide whether if you want to be vaccinated - Message on 12-January-21 14:57:11 BST - Your NHS.CO.UK order #203-9320557-23482748 has been dispatched

I think I was slightly off-guard as a genuine BBC survey invite was next to it in the junk box ..

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:20 - Jan 25 with 3793 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 by GavTWTD

Going to the next page or window is submitting it.

Oh sh1t. Thanks. Mother's maiden name is a security question in many places, tho I can't remember which ones dammit. Will go through most important ones & change.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:21 - Jan 25 with 3791 viewsFoD_Blue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:19 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I think I was slightly off-guard as a genuine BBC survey invite was next to it in the junk box ..

I had that survey invite too. Are you sure you haven’t inadvertently logged into my emails?
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:22 - Jan 25 with 3783 viewsbluelagos

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I'll soon know if they got it, as also gave my mobile number, which v. few ppl have as I barely use it. If I start getting adverts ...

One thing you probably want to do anyway is get yourself a free credit report. Noddle do one, so do others.

On a monthly basis you can see what credit checks were done against your name. The benefit is that if someone does an ID fraud where they take out a loan pretending to be you, you see it quickly and can inform whoever got duped.

That said, even if someone pretends they are you and borrows money from a third party, you are not liable, it is the 3rd party who lent them money, not you.

But it can be a royal pain in the arse for issues like credit rating, so not something to ignore if it happens.

Anyhow - I wouldn't lose any sleep Ryorry, but I would use it as a wake up call ref checking credit ratings monthly. And ensuring you have upto date anti-virus stuff on your PC.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:23 - Jan 25 with 3766 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:21 - Jan 25 by FoD_Blue

I had that survey invite too. Are you sure you haven’t inadvertently logged into my emails?

Tell me your Mum's maiden name & I'll go & check .. ;)

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:25 - Jan 25 with 3755 viewseireblue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

It isn't adverts you should be worried about.

It will be SIM swap attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

Change any details you have to protect your account with your mobile operator.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:27 - Jan 25 with 3738 viewsfactual_blue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:20 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

Oh sh1t. Thanks. Mother's maiden name is a security question in many places, tho I can't remember which ones dammit. Will go through most important ones & change.

Spoiler alert: don't use your mother's real maiden name. I always use something simpler than my mum's birth name of Hilda Wolfeschlegel­steinhausen­bergerdorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissenhaft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorgfaltigkeit­beschutzen­vor­angreifen­durch­ihr­raubgierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolfhundert­tausend­jahres­voran­die­erscheinen­von­der­erste­erdemensch­der­raumschiff­genacht­mit­tungstein­und­sieben­iridium­elektrisch­motors­gebrauch­licht­als­sein­ursprung­von­kraft­gestart­sein­lange­fahrt­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nachbarschaft­der­stern­welche­gehabt­bewohnbar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wohin­der­neue­rasse­von­verstandig­menschlichkeit­konnte­fortpflanzen­und­sich­erfreuen­an­lebenslanglich­freude­und­ruhe­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­angreifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­geschopfs­von­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:38 - Jan 25 with 3679 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:27 - Jan 25 by factual_blue

Spoiler alert: don't use your mother's real maiden name. I always use something simpler than my mum's birth name of Hilda Wolfeschlegel­steinhausen­bergerdorff­welche­vor­altern­waren­gewissenhaft­schafers­wessen­schafe­waren­wohl­gepflege­und­sorgfaltigkeit­beschutzen­vor­angreifen­durch­ihr­raubgierig­feinde­welche­vor­altern­zwolfhundert­tausend­jahres­voran­die­erscheinen­von­der­erste­erdemensch­der­raumschiff­genacht­mit­tungstein­und­sieben­iridium­elektrisch­motors­gebrauch­licht­als­sein­ursprung­von­kraft­gestart­sein­lange­fahrt­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum­auf­der­suchen­nachbarschaft­der­stern­welche­gehabt­bewohnbar­planeten­kreise­drehen­sich­und­wohin­der­neue­rasse­von­verstandig­menschlichkeit­konnte­fortpflanzen­und­sich­erfreuen­an­lebenslanglich­freude­und­ruhe­mit­nicht­ein­furcht­vor­angreifen­vor­anderer­intelligent­geschopfs­von­hinzwischen­sternartig­raum.

Did she play for a big club in Germany?

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:41 - Jan 25 with 3659 viewsjeera

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:16 - Jan 25 by FoD_Blue

I received the same email this afternoon.

It's important for people to learn to recognise the signs such as the address, as you say, but also to take note of who it addresses in its opening line.

If it uses your name then it still may require further investigation but if it opens with:

Dear [your email address] then it's unlikely to be legit. Especially as something as specific as an 'invite'.

But any doubt at all and it's good practice to check it out before touching it.

Horrible scumbags.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:46 - Jan 25 with 3630 viewsChurchman

That’s awful. The dirtbags have never had it so good. There really ought to be a combined international effort to do something about this.

Anyone caught doing this should be publicly whipped through the streets.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:48 - Jan 25 with 3629 viewsEdwardStone

I'm just reading "M. D." in the current Private Eye

Talking about the NHS giving invitations to come forward for vaccine

He says "If anyone asks for money or personal details, it's a hoax"

He seems a pretty clued up guy, so I take his word on this
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:49 - Jan 25 with 3618 viewswkj

Covid 19 Vaccinations is a golden ticket for scammers.

At a time when old people are the subject of a massive health and wellbeing initiative the scammers will swoop with gusto.

It does sadly tend to be the older generation who are less tech savvy that these emails are geared toward so it is potent we not only educate ourselves with the warning signs but educate our older friends and family about it too.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:50 - Jan 25 with 3606 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:25 - Jan 25 by eireblue

It isn't adverts you should be worried about.

It will be SIM swap attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_swap_scam

Change any details you have to protect your account with your mobile operator.

I'd actually just got a PAC code to keep my number, as am about to swap from Vodafone network to giffgaff. Think I might just ditch it now & go for a new number (which will be bloody annoying to me & friends, had only just memorised old one!).

I've never gone in for 2-step verification, as no mobile signal at home. Does that make any difference, or can they use it another way?

**One other important safety measure** for those who don't already have it (I do) - it's for all homeowners, where your (or relatives/friends') homes are freehold - register with the Land Registry to get alerts for any activity on your title deeds holding number - as it's sometimes used by scammers to sell properties without owners' knowledge, esp, e.g., where the owners are away for lengthy periods - hols, hospital, nursing home etc.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:53 - Jan 25 with 3596 viewsDanTheMan

If you can somehow forward me the email, I can just try and insert a load of dummy data into their system to crash it.

Or just PM me the link.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 16:53]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 17:19 - Jan 25 with 3512 viewsBlueBadger

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:48 - Jan 25 by EdwardStone

I'm just reading "M. D." in the current Private Eye

Talking about the NHS giving invitations to come forward for vaccine

He says "If anyone asks for money or personal details, it's a hoax"

He seems a pretty clued up guy, so I take his word on this

MD has always been one od PE's best columnists but in the last year, he's really upped his game.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:13 - Jan 25 with 3358 viewsEdwardStone

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 17:19 - Jan 25 by BlueBadger

MD has always been one od PE's best columnists but in the last year, he's really upped his game.

I think he is also on GMB as Doctor Hilary

Talks a lot of sense
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:21 - Jan 25 with 3332 viewseireblue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:50 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I'd actually just got a PAC code to keep my number, as am about to swap from Vodafone network to giffgaff. Think I might just ditch it now & go for a new number (which will be bloody annoying to me & friends, had only just memorised old one!).

I've never gone in for 2-step verification, as no mobile signal at home. Does that make any difference, or can they use it another way?

**One other important safety measure** for those who don't already have it (I do) - it's for all homeowners, where your (or relatives/friends') homes are freehold - register with the Land Registry to get alerts for any activity on your title deeds holding number - as it's sometimes used by scammers to sell properties without owners' knowledge, esp, e.g., where the owners are away for lengthy periods - hols, hospital, nursing home etc.

I would keep your mobile number, but ensure that any personal data that Giff Gaff can use to verify you in the future, does not consist of any data submitted to the scammer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024