Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams 15:55 - Jan 25 with 5459 viewsRyorry

"Invitation to accept or reject your coronavirus vaccination" - arrived in my junk mail this morning.

"NHS - National Health Service" (complete with usual NHS logo)

"Confirm your coronavirus vaccination
You are selected
The NHS is performing selections for coronavirus vaccination on the basis of family genetics and medical history.
You have been selected to receive a coronavirus vaccination.

Use this service to confirm your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination.

You will need to:

have 2 doses of the coronavirus vaccination at 2 appointments
book both appointments at the same time
get the 2nd dose 3 to 4 weeks after getting your 1st dose
Who can use this service
You can only use this service if you have received an email/SMS regarding this invitation. You can not use this service for anyone other than yourself.

You are also free to reject this invitation, your appointment will be issued to the next person in line in that case.

Please confirm or reject your invitation by selecting an option below."

Well of course I was initially delighted, but when you click "accept" as I did, you're then taken to a new window where you fill in ALL your personal details - full name, geog addy, DOB, mother's maiden name. You then continue via another new window - where you're asked for your credit card & bank details!! at which point I obviously hit the back-button & deleted every bit of info before closing the window.

Then copied the email address it had come from <info@takebuchi-sr.net> . Please warn your older rellies/friends, as they may well be expecting vacc invitations fairly soon. I'll also be reporting this to 'Which' mag, who are currently keeping a watch on this tye of scam in particular.

Grrr!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:30 - Jan 25 with 1454 viewsfactual_blue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:13 - Jan 25 by EdwardStone

I think he is also on GMB as Doctor Hilary

Talks a lot of sense

MD is Phil Hammond

http://www.drphilhammond.com/

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:34 - Jan 25 with 1448 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:21 - Jan 25 by eireblue

I would keep your mobile number, but ensure that any personal data that Giff Gaff can use to verify you in the future, does not consist of any data submitted to the scammer.

"ensure that any personal data that Giff Gaff can use to verify you in the future, does not consist of any data submitted to the scammer."

I wonder if that's possible tho? as giffgaff are online only I wouldn't have the chance to discuss verification options with a rep over the phone.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:53 - Jan 25 with 1438 viewsDebsyAngel

Thanks for the warning!

I usually hover the mouse over the email address and make sure the "From" address looks genuine.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 19:56 - Jan 25 with 1406 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:22 - Jan 25 by bluelagos

One thing you probably want to do anyway is get yourself a free credit report. Noddle do one, so do others.

On a monthly basis you can see what credit checks were done against your name. The benefit is that if someone does an ID fraud where they take out a loan pretending to be you, you see it quickly and can inform whoever got duped.

That said, even if someone pretends they are you and borrows money from a third party, you are not liable, it is the 3rd party who lent them money, not you.

But it can be a royal pain in the arse for issues like credit rating, so not something to ignore if it happens.

Anyhow - I wouldn't lose any sleep Ryorry, but I would use it as a wake up call ref checking credit ratings monthly. And ensuring you have upto date anti-virus stuff on your PC.

Unfortunately Noddle (now called credit Karma apparently) can't read mine, they say it's a "thin credit score" - but I've been at this addy 6 years! on the electoral roll etc (tho took the option for it not to be readable by the public).

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 20:46 - Jan 25 with 1386 viewsRyorry

Just rang my bank (over an hour on hold) - the rep I spoke with said she'd had many, many calls today saying exactly the same ...

Apparently what they're really after is to have sufficient solid info about you to be able to phone & convince you that they're a genuine rep from your bank. They then "warn" you that they've spotted fraudulent activity on your account, and that to ensure your money remains safe, you need to move it to a different account that they'll set up for you (I think a few alarm bells would defo be going off for me at this point!). The usual advice would then apply - put the phone down, wait at least 10 minutes (or use a different phone), & ring your bank yourself.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 20:58 - Jan 25 with 1371 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:53 - Jan 25 by DanTheMan

If you can somehow forward me the email, I can just try and insert a load of dummy data into their system to crash it.

Or just PM me the link.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 16:53]

That'd be great, and I got a second one this eve! (different sender & not as convincingly worded, didn't address me by name as the first one did) - but no idea how to link it without opening.

Could PM you the sender's email if that's any use?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:00 - Jan 25 with 1370 viewsDanTheMan

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 20:58 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

That'd be great, and I got a second one this eve! (different sender & not as convincingly worded, didn't address me by name as the first one did) - but no idea how to link it without opening.

Could PM you the sender's email if that's any use?

If you right click on the link and there'll be something like "copy link address".

Just do that and send it over to me, I'll fill up their system with nonsense so they won't be able to work out what's real and what's not.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:01 - Jan 25 with 1370 viewsjeera

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:13 - Jan 25 by EdwardStone

I think he is also on GMB as Doctor Hilary

Talks a lot of sense

A quick Google suggests Facters is right, re; Hammond.

Got to disagree with you on Hilary, I dislike him immensely.

The idiot had many a thousand people swigging at garlic water trying to 'flush away' Covid from their throats last year like some fad he'd read on Facebook.

It was embarrassing.

My sister kept banging on about it and I tried to reason with her on the phone that it was ridiculous nonsense, but like others, she'd heard him say it on breakfast TV.

He came out a day or two later and apologised for sharing misinformation. Flipping doctor, my left foot.

Edit: he then spent the rest of the year rubbishing the very idea.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 21:32]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:05 - Jan 25 with 1362 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:00 - Jan 25 by DanTheMan

If you right click on the link and there'll be something like "copy link address".

Just do that and send it over to me, I'll fill up their system with nonsense so they won't be able to work out what's real and what's not.

It's unopened & in outlook's junk box, there isn't that option re "link" (that word's not mentioned), only poss to 'forward' it, is that what you mean? (or I can copy their email to PM you).

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:33 - Jan 25 with 1346 viewsIpswichKnight

Quick and simple all NHS emails will end GOV.UK the fraudsters will do a reasonable job of spoofing the fonts and landing page but they can’t end the emails GOV.UK it will be either something random from a disposable email or GOV.ORG.UK or GOV.com.

They like names and addresses as it enables them to create Synthetic ID and they will attempt to obtain passports,DL, loans, tax rebates, UC and bank accounts to launder money etc.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:38 - Jan 25 with 1343 viewsChurchman

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:19 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

I think I was slightly off-guard as a genuine BBC survey invite was next to it in the junk box ..

It’s hard to be on your guard all the time.. the trick is not to beat yourself up over it. The key actions are:
- Change all the passwords and if you can the reminder info.
- If you have accounts you don’t access online, register for online and keep an eye on them. Check them daily for a while and other stuff like calls and post.
- Always remember that you’ll never be asked for passwords, codes or personal detail over the phone or by email by genuine callers.
- If something looks too good to be true, it will be. If it looks odd, the same.
- If you think something is genuine (e.g. BT call) you can always go in from the outside I.e. find their address from the official website, find a number and phone or message
- Banks, government and other companies have fraud teams- always worth notifying them.

I’m sure you’ve got all this covered and more. It’s just a few thoughts and prompts.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 22:11 - Jan 25 with 1321 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 21:33 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

Quick and simple all NHS emails will end GOV.UK the fraudsters will do a reasonable job of spoofing the fonts and landing page but they can’t end the emails GOV.UK it will be either something random from a disposable email or GOV.ORG.UK or GOV.com.

They like names and addresses as it enables them to create Synthetic ID and they will attempt to obtain passports,DL, loans, tax rebates, UC and bank accounts to launder money etc.

That's very good advice, thanks.

As I can't forward the item to Dan without his email address, I managed to find the message source, got all the details incl IP which I traced, & believe it or not it (ostensibly at least) is coming from Japan ...

Posted the details in a PM to you Dan, but it's not now letting me read that PM back, so don't know if you can view it either - too much info and < > maybe?

**Edited to add this from 'Which?' mag: - "If you’ve seen a scam that you’d like to share with us, please email scamwatch@which.co.uk - this is the best way to contact our experts directly. *Please only share screenshots of scams, do not forward the scam as our system will block this.*
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 22:16]

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 22:40 - Jan 25 with 1307 viewsblueconscience

Received something similar, but luckily I have got into the habit of checking the sender email addresses hidden behind the names. This luckily gives away they are not real.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 22:41]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 22:40 - Jan 25 with 1306 viewsGlasgowBlue

You should always look at the email address of the sender.

I get stuff claiming to be from apple, PayPal, HMRC etc. All with official looking logos and headers with a click link. But their email address is always the give away that it's a scam.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 22:48 - Jan 25 with 1292 viewsFoD_Blue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 18:53 - Jan 25 by DebsyAngel

Thanks for the warning!

I usually hover the mouse over the email address and make sure the "From" address looks genuine.

This is a very good habit to get into for everybody.
And if you are using a phone or tablet (Apple or Android) a long press and hold on the link will show you the address that the link is taking you to without actually taking you to the site.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 23:29 - Jan 25 with 1269 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 22:40 - Jan 25 by GlasgowBlue

You should always look at the email address of the sender.

I get stuff claiming to be from apple, PayPal, HMRC etc. All with official looking logos and headers with a click link. But their email address is always the give away that it's a scam.

The *really* annoying thing is that 999 times out of a hundred I do. But just this one-time I didn't, and am calling myself all kinds of names as a result!

It was almost a 'Derren Brown trick of the mind' thing that because it was sitting right next to a perfectly valid email in my junk box from the Beeb "inviting" me to participate in a survey, I kinda thought "oh right, 2 things that are fine". Also I'd been *expecting* to get my vacc date between 25/1 & 28/02 according to an online calculator. They played on that, obvs.

Right time-consuming pain in the arse now having to go thru all the orgs that use the info as security :(

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 23:38 - Jan 25 with 1264 viewsjeera

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 23:29 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

The *really* annoying thing is that 999 times out of a hundred I do. But just this one-time I didn't, and am calling myself all kinds of names as a result!

It was almost a 'Derren Brown trick of the mind' thing that because it was sitting right next to a perfectly valid email in my junk box from the Beeb "inviting" me to participate in a survey, I kinda thought "oh right, 2 things that are fine". Also I'd been *expecting* to get my vacc date between 25/1 & 28/02 according to an online calculator. They played on that, obvs.

Right time-consuming pain in the arse now having to go thru all the orgs that use the info as security :(

"Also I'd been *expecting* to get my vacc date between 25/1 & 28/02 according to an online calculator. They played on that, obvs."

No one's played on that. They, whoever 'they' are, had no way of knowing.

It's a generic email that many thousands of all ages have received. They count on X amount being deceived and replying.

It's not the fault of the people responding though so there's no need to justify yourself.

But neither you nor I nor anyone else were specifically targeted.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 23:46 - Jan 25 with 1258 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 23:38 - Jan 25 by jeera

"Also I'd been *expecting* to get my vacc date between 25/1 & 28/02 according to an online calculator. They played on that, obvs."

No one's played on that. They, whoever 'they' are, had no way of knowing.

It's a generic email that many thousands of all ages have received. They count on X amount being deceived and replying.

It's not the fault of the people responding though so there's no need to justify yourself.

But neither you nor I nor anyone else were specifically targeted.

I probably wasn't clear there that I wasn't talking about myself as an individual. It really is no coincidence that there's been a sudden swathe of these emails in the past few days. Mostly sent to older age groups from what I've heard.

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 00:31 - Jan 26 with 1243 viewsRyorry

Wrapping this up now, but just a final note - if everybody that's had one of these could please forward them (if you can recover them from your deleted items) to

report@phishing.gov.uk

that'd be great. The automated message I got back said that they

1. "act upon every message received ...seek to block the address the email came from, so it can no longer send emails
2. work with website hosting companies to remove links to malicious websites and that
3. As of 31st December 2020 the number of reports received stand at more than 4,000,000 with the removal of more than 26,000 scams and 48,000 URLs"

Thanks for your support :)

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 04:53 - Jan 26 with 1218 viewshoppy

That all sounds a bit of a nightmare Ryorry, I hope you get it all sorted with no problems.

I would, however, dispute your post title... you think that’s a bigger outrageous scam than PL having been given that 5 year extension? I mean, come on...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 09:46 - Jan 26 with 1164 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 04:53 - Jan 26 by hoppy

That all sounds a bit of a nightmare Ryorry, I hope you get it all sorted with no problems.

I would, however, dispute your post title... you think that’s a bigger outrageous scam than PL having been given that 5 year extension? I mean, come on...

Do y'know, I actually forgot about PL & ITFC's plight for a few hours yesterday while dealing with it all - hey ho, silver linings & all that! 😂

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 10:31 - Jan 26 with 1153 viewsChurchman

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 09:46 - Jan 26 by Ryorry

Do y'know, I actually forgot about PL & ITFC's plight for a few hours yesterday while dealing with it all - hey ho, silver linings & all that! 😂

Thanks for sharing this. There are so many scams out there and they’re not going away. Message boards are another really useful way of alerting people to them.
Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 10:40 - Jan 26 with 1148 viewsRyorry

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 10:31 - Jan 26 by Churchman

Thanks for sharing this. There are so many scams out there and they’re not going away. Message boards are another really useful way of alerting people to them.

This place is always the best for getting a range of really good, solid advice on dealing with important stuff like this too 👍

Edited to add: Was eventually able to forward the link in the email to Dan, who's reported back that the scammer's now been "spooked" and that clicking on the link now just redirects ppl straight to nhs.uk :))
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 10:46]

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 12:55 - Jan 26 with 1125 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Outrageous scam to end all outrageous scams on 16:20 - Jan 25 by Ryorry

Oh sh1t. Thanks. Mother's maiden name is a security question in many places, tho I can't remember which ones dammit. Will go through most important ones & change.

Mother's maiden name is never a good security device. It is very easy to find as are grandmothers' maiden names etc.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024