Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lamberts five year contract 02:07 - Jan 27 with 2695 viewsHARRY10

Maybe some on here should ask themselves what was the intent behind that contract.

Could it be that Lambert put it to Evans bluntly, just how much of a mess the club was in, and that it could not be turned around in a season ?

Could it also be that whatever has been agreed has a longer aim than instant success, that some feel is our birthright ?

Fifteen players are out of contract in June, and a good many of them will not be missed But the idea that with the clock running don on those contracts appointing a new manager is the best idea to decide who to keep is farcical.

Or maybe Ramsey and Robson achieved success over night. Or maybe Hurst was able to transfer his success elsewhere to us, over night.

Our rebuilding is going to take time, and no little foot stamping and bedsheet waving will change that.
Lamberts five year contract on 02:13 - Jan 27 with 2489 viewsIllinoisblue

People like you are the problem

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Lamberts five year contract on 02:15 - Jan 27 with 2489 viewsCoastalblue

There is some sense in some of what you say, but, what has Lambert shown in well over two years to suggest he has the faintest idea in how to put things right?

If we were looking to build a style of play, or a culture throughout the club and trying to use our academy to bolster the first team then I might agree with you but I don't see any of that. Six months into Lamberts tenure I would have been persuaded, at this point I think we look more disjointed as a team and a club than ever.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Lamberts five year contract on 02:18 - Jan 27 with 2478 viewsstiff_talking

Did Lambert blame player pressure for bad results and convince Marcus that he could fix it with time ? (players rejected hurst and then threw away a 12 point lead shortly before the decision)

Or

Did Lambert threaten to leave as Marcus wasn’t going to back in January window and they agreed that given no money Lambert would get time to develop squad.

Or both ?
Lamberts five year contract on 03:00 - Jan 27 with 2430 viewschrismakin

Lambert was able to obtain a 4 year contract at Villa, he was also able to ensure a break out clause was included in his Blackburn contract

Lambert is no mug when it comes to contracts, He had managed to obtain ipswich fans support, " We support the Ipswich, If we're down or if we're up" was sung whilst we died a death in the championship. Lambert took Evans to the cleaners and he knew it, he has one of the worse managerial records at a football league club, which hasn't only just begun recently, it's been in place ever since he joined the club, he's just incredibly gifted at talking.

Lambert has all he needs at the club to make a go at it at this level, despite in the injury crises he still had a host of talent alot of clubs would dream of at this level. At certain points he has had 2/3/4 strikers available but refuses to put two up top together, which in itself is unforgiveable when you consider we were missing the majority of a decent midfield, but still had to watch Judge painfully act as some kind of forward in an apparent version of a 4-3-3 which lets be honest was and is always as 4.2.3.1

Chambers has slowly ageing legs, yet he's being asked to be a fully blown fullback which is required when playing a 4.2.3.1 or 4.3.3. what ever you call it, Ward another player who could qualify for Vets football being asked to do the same, neither are up for it,
yet he's now kicked Donacien out of the club and until last night Kenlock was completely ignored.
He plays games with Holy and Cornell on who gets a run of games, his selection of CB pairing varies and there's never really any obvious footballing reason for when he drops players.

There is nothing at all positive about Lamberts time in charge at ITFC, forget the drinks, the press, he's been here to manage the football club and the fact is a 32% win percentage is disgusting and embarrassing and how a man can follow up every game with " If Marcus says it's time to go then fine" " I don't care" what sort of self respecting individual continues to kill a football club without a care. I get it he's paid well, but it's a sad state that he's happy to take the cash whilst killing the club.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 3:13]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Lamberts five year contract on 03:46 - Jan 27 with 2377 viewsIllinoisblue

Lamberts five year contract on 02:15 - Jan 27 by Coastalblue

There is some sense in some of what you say, but, what has Lambert shown in well over two years to suggest he has the faintest idea in how to put things right?

If we were looking to build a style of play, or a culture throughout the club and trying to use our academy to bolster the first team then I might agree with you but I don't see any of that. Six months into Lamberts tenure I would have been persuaded, at this point I think we look more disjointed as a team and a club than ever.

He’s the worst manager in our history. Can’t believe people are defending him.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Lamberts five year contract on 03:56 - Jan 27 with 2368 viewsBlueBadger

Generally, speaking 'rebuilds' tend to start showing improvement in results, performances and game time for younger players.
We're over 2 years into Lambert's alleged rebuild and none of these things has happened, or has shown signs that it's going to happen.

Let it go mate, he's sh1t and needs to go.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 17:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lamberts five year contract on 06:39 - Jan 27 with 2243 viewsKeaneish

Last season we finished 11th in League 1 due to our failure to beat any of the sides above us. This season we’re in equally as abysmal position for our inability to beat any of the sides above us only this season, our stats are inconceivably worse. Each season Lambert has been in charge, we have got worse. How is that defendable?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Lamberts five year contract on 07:27 - Jan 27 with 2130 viewsGodBlue

Read this and tell me you think Lambert was thinking about anyone but himself when he got his contract:

Lambert: If They Want to Go and Employ Another Manager, No Problem 26th Dec 2019 19:09
Boss Paul Lambert appeared to call his Blues future into question following his side’s 0-0 home draw with Gillingham. 94

It appears to me that the simple fact of the matter is that he conned Evans until he got his contract and then, as soon as he had it, the facade was dropped.

He has previous for this from Villa. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Lambert and Evans are playing chicken right now and Ipswich Town Football Club are nothing but collateral damage.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 9:07]

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Login to get fewer ads

Lamberts five year contract on 08:36 - Jan 27 with 1967 viewsitfcjoe

You're a fool Harry, you keep repeating this rant that things are so bad and don't engage with anyone who tries to explain why Lambert is utterly useless both on and off the pitch.

We don't have 5 years to waste with him, Evans isn't going to spend 5 years in the league losing millions of pounds waiting for the oracle that is Paul Lambert to turn it around.

Lambert has to earn his 5 years, he is doing nothing to do so and has done nothing to do so bar some fan engagement

The 5 year contract was a huge mistake from Evans, and one that will cost him a lot of money. That's the crux of it

You can stamp your feet when he is sacked over the weekend

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lamberts five year contract on 08:52 - Jan 27 with 1915 viewsRegencyBlue

I’ll tell you exactly what I think the intent was.

Lambert had hit the ground running with his public relations and getting fans on board. He then started making noises about needing to strengthen the squad, I can’t remember exactly what he said now but it was clearly aiming at our illustrious owner. Evans could see himself being backed into a corner by a then popular manager and panicked. He gave Lambert the contract to shut him up!

I could be wrong of course but it’s significant that since signing the new contract not one word of criticism of Evans has escaped Lamberts lips.
Lamberts five year contract on 09:05 - Jan 27 with 1842 viewsBent_double

How many other football clubs, in the history of the football league, have EVER taken 5 years to recover from a poor position?

How have Oxford managed to turn their season around with the same manager?

How did Appleton rebuild Lincoln in a season and take them to the top of the table?

We need (another) fresh start, manager and player-wise. In terms of players that will come in the summer regardless of the division we are in. Manager-wise, that needs to happen now. Today. In the next hour.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lamberts five year contract on 09:20 - Jan 27 with 1778 viewspatrickswell

I think there is merit in the idea that the thinking was to give someone time to try and implement real change at the club. Given Lambert’s early popularity and Evans’s naievety, he may well have thought that fans would give him time to implement that change.

But unfortunately, if you’re going to implement a long term plan, you have to keep the engine ticking over in the meantime. As a noted dickhead once said, “Listen, sometimes to go long term, you have to go short term,”. George Burley’s careful, steady building up of the club over the late 90s was helped by the fact that the team could pull off the odd victory in games where they were second favourites and that also, 9 times out of 10, they played with positive intent and tempo. That sustained fans through things like that awful defeat to Tranmere where the second goal turns up on Crap 90s Football or losing 0-2 to Stockport County in front of 8,000 fans to sit 23rd in the table at the start of November. It sucked at the time, but we had at least seen enough over Burley’s first full two seasons to suggest that once his ideas start to hit their stride circa early 1998, Town’s progressions into one of the best footballing sides in the country was no surprise.

Lambert on the other hand has made no real headway at all. We continue to lose any game in which we’re playing a side with any kind of pedigree. We are into our second successive season of sliding from the automatic places towards mid-table, our style of football lacks any discernible tempo, our squad is made up of players who are alternately shell-shocked from nearly 3 years of consistently losing football matches or effective physically unfit for purpose. Furthermore, any plans we had have been thrown in tumult by changes that will be wrought to the structure of our league due to the pandemic.

I don’t think it’s fair to have a pop at the fans for getting irate at having purposely managed decline foisted on their club and seeing its representatives try to pass this off as part of a long term vision. There are big changes ahead in football and tragically, I don't have any faith in those either in the boardroom, on the touchline or taking to the pitch that they will take us through it successfully. Because over a long period of time now, they’ve shown no evidence to suggest that any of them know what they are doing.
Lamberts five year contract on 09:23 - Jan 27 with 1760 viewsGeoffSentence

'Instant success' ???????

For crying out loud man, no-one thinks it is our birthright. All anyone is asking is that this terrible, terminal, 20 year decline come to an end.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Lamberts five year contract on 09:25 - Jan 27 with 1743 viewsdavblue

After over 2 years you should be seeing progress not regression, that would justify him staying in the job.

Atmosphere is bad apparently and relations are management are non exsistent. Playing style is god awful.
Lamberts five year contract on 09:27 - Jan 27 with 1732 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Lamberts five year contract on 09:05 - Jan 27 by Bent_double

How many other football clubs, in the history of the football league, have EVER taken 5 years to recover from a poor position?

How did Appleton rebuild Lincoln in a season and take them to the top of the table?

We need (another) fresh start, manager and player-wise. In terms of players that will come in the summer regardless of the division we are in. Manager-wise, that needs to happen now. Today. In the next hour.

Sheffield United.....

Poll: Our final position

Lamberts five year contract on 09:27 - Jan 27 with 1727 viewsIpswichKnight

I’ve tried to bloc this out as we had Colin waiting in the wings eager to take over. Let that sink in Warnock was ready and eager to take over and yet we still persuaded the fraud to sign a contract extension. That decision is going to cost Evans a small fortune in cash and a little more in fan engagement. Would Colin have got us up who knows but our form in December and January would not have been as bad as it was and he’d have sorted out the losing culture in the team as well.
Lamberts five year contract on 09:28 - Jan 27 with 1719 viewsTractorWood

Jesus wept.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lamberts five year contract on 09:42 - Jan 27 with 1685 viewsBent_double

Lamberts five year contract on 09:27 - Jan 27 by southnorfolkblue

Sheffield United.....

Six seasons in L1, 2 of those outside the PO places. Wilder got them promoted in his first season.

The point I was trying to make (probably very poorly) is that no manager has ever been given 5 years to turn a club around, it just doesn't happen.

PL clearly has issues with certain players, maybe some players have issues with him, unless there is a complete clear-out of all professional playing staff, I can't see how things can be turned around.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Lamberts five year contract on 10:18 - Jan 27 with 1630 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Lamberts five year contract on 09:05 - Jan 27 by Bent_double

Has it ever happened before-A 5yr contract for a LEAGUE 1 manager !
Lamberts five year contract on 10:21 - Jan 27 with 1616 viewsitfcjoe

Lamberts five year contract on 10:18 - Jan 27 by BtreeBlueBlood

Has it ever happened before-A 5yr contract for a LEAGUE 1 manager !

Karl Robinson signed one in the summer at Oxford, after getting them to Play OFf Final

Started the season terribly, but now have won 6 in a row and will move ahead of us soon

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lamberts five year contract on 10:26 - Jan 27 with 1584 viewsHarlestonblue

Lamberts five year contract on 07:27 - Jan 27 by GodBlue

Read this and tell me you think Lambert was thinking about anyone but himself when he got his contract:

Lambert: If They Want to Go and Employ Another Manager, No Problem 26th Dec 2019 19:09
Boss Paul Lambert appeared to call his Blues future into question following his side’s 0-0 home draw with Gillingham. 94

It appears to me that the simple fact of the matter is that he conned Evans until he got his contract and then, as soon as he had it, the facade was dropped.

He has previous for this from Villa. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Lambert and Evans are playing chicken right now and Ipswich Town Football Club are nothing but collateral damage.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 9:07]

It's going to be "an absolute morgue" as Lambert puts it, again, only this time season ticket sales will crash and there will be less than 10,000 in the stadium.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 10:51]
Lamberts five year contract on 10:34 - Jan 27 with 1552 viewsPinewoodblue

Lamberts five year contract on 03:00 - Jan 27 by chrismakin

Lambert was able to obtain a 4 year contract at Villa, he was also able to ensure a break out clause was included in his Blackburn contract

Lambert is no mug when it comes to contracts, He had managed to obtain ipswich fans support, " We support the Ipswich, If we're down or if we're up" was sung whilst we died a death in the championship. Lambert took Evans to the cleaners and he knew it, he has one of the worse managerial records at a football league club, which hasn't only just begun recently, it's been in place ever since he joined the club, he's just incredibly gifted at talking.

Lambert has all he needs at the club to make a go at it at this level, despite in the injury crises he still had a host of talent alot of clubs would dream of at this level. At certain points he has had 2/3/4 strikers available but refuses to put two up top together, which in itself is unforgiveable when you consider we were missing the majority of a decent midfield, but still had to watch Judge painfully act as some kind of forward in an apparent version of a 4-3-3 which lets be honest was and is always as 4.2.3.1

Chambers has slowly ageing legs, yet he's being asked to be a fully blown fullback which is required when playing a 4.2.3.1 or 4.3.3. what ever you call it, Ward another player who could qualify for Vets football being asked to do the same, neither are up for it,
yet he's now kicked Donacien out of the club and until last night Kenlock was completely ignored.
He plays games with Holy and Cornell on who gets a run of games, his selection of CB pairing varies and there's never really any obvious footballing reason for when he drops players.

There is nothing at all positive about Lamberts time in charge at ITFC, forget the drinks, the press, he's been here to manage the football club and the fact is a 32% win percentage is disgusting and embarrassing and how a man can follow up every game with " If Marcus says it's time to go then fine" " I don't care" what sort of self respecting individual continues to kill a football club without a care. I get it he's paid well, but it's a sad state that he's happy to take the cash whilst killing the club.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 3:13]

Excellent post. Guess we, the fans, are to blame if Lambert hadn’t won fans over Evans wouldn’t have considered giving him a new contract before the season was out,

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lamberts five year contract on 10:57 - Jan 27 with 1493 viewsjayessess

This idea that football clubs institute "long term plans" that go badly for a couple of years then suddenly turn around is an absolute fantasy. Football isn't a business where you can faff around failing for a few years as part of a broader vision, you don't have that luxury and there's no evidence that such an approach works.

When a manger is a good fit for a football club they usually have a positive effect on the team relatively quickly. Sometimes long managerial stints have a dip in the middle, which they survive and then go on to be successful. But no one starts with 3 seasons of failure then miraculously turns things around.

Ramsey took over Ipswich Town in August 1955. The team had just been relegated from Division 2. In his first season we finished 3rd in Division 3 South, in his second we won that division and were promoted back to Division 2. In his third season we finished 8th in Division 2. Progress in each of his first three seasons.

Robson took over a team promoted to Division One after 4 seasons away and kept them in Division One for his 3 seasons.

This hope that things will be rubbish for a while and then suddenly come good because of a long term plan is delusional. Good managers start getting to work right away.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 10:58]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Lamberts five year contract on 11:20 - Jan 27 with 1434 viewsHarry_Palmer

23 down votes, good work. I don't think even i've had that many for one post.

Its good to see I have some competition for the 'least popular Harry on TWTD'
Lamberts five year contract on 11:31 - Jan 27 with 1399 viewsKropotkin123

Ramsey finished 3rd and 1st in his first two seasons in the lower leagues. Robson took us over in the top flight with teams around us with far better resources and indeed personnel. It was his fourth season that saw us reach 4th in the top flight.

Please tell me, what has he changed positively? The way I see it, the same issues are still there. Namely
- No football structure
- A team that is worse than the sum of its parts
- No attacking football (This seems to be confused with possession)
- Poor integration of youth players
- Poor relations with the fans (see treatment of press, TWTD, ITSC Serbia, etc)

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024