Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? 15:42 - Jan 27 with 3717 viewsGlasgowBlue

Still by far a preferable option to Johnson (sorry to piss on your parade Herbie) and if there was an election tomorrow he would still get my vote.

But he seems to offer little in way of constructive alternatives.

He got off to a fantastic start and forensically took Johnson apart every week at PMQ's. But that approach seems to have worn off and he appears to now whinge for whinging sake.

He was, and still is, all over the shop on the closing/ re-opening of schools. Now, after berating Johnson for ignoring his scientific advisors, he wants to tear up the JCVI plan to vaccinate the population in order of priority, and introduce his own list of people deemed as a priority which seems to get longer and longer each time he opens his mouth.

I hope Koonters isn't to be proved right and we've been sold a pup.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:47 - Jan 27 with 1892 viewsTJS

He's got to play a clever long game - still a full 3 years until next likely election.
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:48 - Jan 27 with 1883 viewsSpruceMoose

I think DaveU might have a little crush on you GB!
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 15:48]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:48 - Jan 27 with 1885 viewsJ2BLUE

He is pretty awful to be honest. No conviction whatsoever and seems to be an extension of Corbyn where they oppose the Tories but have no clear plan of their own.

A significant upgrade on Bojo though, but then so would Mr Bean.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:51 - Jan 27 with 1849 viewsJ2BLUE

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:47 - Jan 27 by TJS

He's got to play a clever long game - still a full 3 years until next likely election.

He needs to start building now. The Tories might well be crowing about the vaccine rollout by then. Starmer needs to take an actual position on something.

I'd love to see him back UBI.

Truly impaired.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:52 - Jan 27 with 1842 viewsitfcjoe

I haven't caught up with todays PMQs yet, but thought he had one of his best weeks in some time last week.

I do think there is an element of focus group leadership, attacking the Tories at the moment isn't going down well in places where he needs to win votes. It is seen as politicising the issue as the Govt is 'trying it's best' in 'unprecedented circumstances'

Think it is a case of playing the long game, and letting the Tories have enough rope to hang themselves with in time - I do think his positions show how hard the big decisions are currently.

There is the fact that if rollout of vaccine continues ahead of our neighbours and is a big success that there will be few angles of attack left; but then Churchill won the war and was voted out shortly afterwards.

Plus, I know he's not popular on here, but Boris is a very skillful master politician, and must be a tough opponent as he has the great gift of being well liked.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:53 - Jan 27 with 1828 viewsfooters

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:51 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

He needs to start building now. The Tories might well be crowing about the vaccine rollout by then. Starmer needs to take an actual position on something.

Starmer is too much of an Enlightened Centrist to even begin start thinking about UBI. Don't upset the applecart. Careful now.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:53 - Jan 27 with 1825 viewsSpruceMoose

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:52 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

I haven't caught up with todays PMQs yet, but thought he had one of his best weeks in some time last week.

I do think there is an element of focus group leadership, attacking the Tories at the moment isn't going down well in places where he needs to win votes. It is seen as politicising the issue as the Govt is 'trying it's best' in 'unprecedented circumstances'

Think it is a case of playing the long game, and letting the Tories have enough rope to hang themselves with in time - I do think his positions show how hard the big decisions are currently.

There is the fact that if rollout of vaccine continues ahead of our neighbours and is a big success that there will be few angles of attack left; but then Churchill won the war and was voted out shortly afterwards.

Plus, I know he's not popular on here, but Boris is a very skillful master politician, and must be a tough opponent as he has the great gift of being well liked.

" ...and must be a tough opponent as he has the great gift of being well liked."

What a damning statement about the British.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:03 - Jan 27 with 1764 viewsRadlett_blue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:47 - Jan 27 by TJS

Indeed. While the government's handling of COVID is understandably the topic of the month (or the year) by the time of the next election voters should be choosing the party with the best policies for the country's future, rather than harping on about COVID.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:04 - Jan 27 with 1762 viewsDarth_Koont

I’m always right*. Just takes a few years for the herd to catch up.

*Except when I’m wrong.

Pronouns: He/Him

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:10 - Jan 27 with 1713 viewsJ2BLUE

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:53 - Jan 27 by footers

Starmer is too much of an Enlightened Centrist to even begin start thinking about UBI. Don't upset the applecart. Careful now.

The liberals and the greens back it. Can't see Labour beating the Tories without an alliance.

Truly impaired.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:15 - Jan 27 with 1687 viewsSpruceMoose

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:10 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

The liberals and the greens back it. Can't see Labour beating the Tories without an alliance.

What a damning statement about the British.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:23 - Jan 27 with 1636 viewsm14_blue

He’s in a difficult position at the moment with the crisis ongoing. He’s trying not to seem like he’s ‘playing politics’ and it’s left him a bit toothless.

I think when we are through the pandemic, the inquiries start in earnest and reveal the full extent of government incompetence, and the number of lives they cost, Starmer will come into his own. Particularly when the scale of cronyism and borderline corruption becomes clear.

Boris seems to have succeeded in peddling the idea that the opposition opposing is somehow ‘bad form’ but that has a shelf life. Governments are always relatively popular in the midst of a crisis but that support tends to collapse when it’s over.

Starmer doesn’t seem to be anything special but he does appear to be a decent, hard working man who genuinely wants to improve the lives of the people he’s paid to represent. In short, he’s everything Boris isn’t.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2021 16:25]
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:25 - Jan 27 with 1626 viewsClapham_Junction

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:48 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

He is pretty awful to be honest. No conviction whatsoever and seems to be an extension of Corbyn where they oppose the Tories but have no clear plan of their own.

A significant upgrade on Bojo though, but then so would Mr Bean.

In a way I think it's worse because at least you had a good idea of what Labour stood for under Corbyn. As you said above, the lack of taking a position is concerning. In an interview last year the shadow housing secretary refused to say where the party stood on right-to-buy, which any decent government would scrap immediately. I tried writing to her about it to get clarification on what the party's position was now, but while she responded, she refused to answer the question.
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:26 - Jan 27 with 1618 viewsTieDyedIn95

I had to laugh this morning seeing him slag off the Tories for the boarders being wide open for the entirety of the pandemic.

If anyone actually thought the Conservatives, a party driven by the free market and hardline capitalism would ever implement guide boarder controls and not just soundbites to con voters, they must be absolutely stupid.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:28 - Jan 27 with 1607 viewsm14_blue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:26 - Jan 27 by TieDyedIn95

I had to laugh this morning seeing him slag off the Tories for the boarders being wide open for the entirety of the pandemic.

If anyone actually thought the Conservatives, a party driven by the free market and hardline capitalism would ever implement guide boarder controls and not just soundbites to con voters, they must be absolutely stupid.

So is it not the job of the opposition to point out that the government aren’t doing what they’ve claimed to do but are, in fact, ‘conning voters’?
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:33 - Jan 27 with 1581 viewsGlasgowBlue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 15:51 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

Johnson may well call a snap election on the back of vaccinating the nation and delivering Brexit.

Very risky. But we'll be paying the price for Rishi's Covid spending come 2024.

Iron Lion Zion

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:35 - Jan 27 with 1574 viewsJ2BLUE

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:33 - Jan 27 by GlasgowBlue

Johnson may well call a snap election on the back of vaccinating the nation and delivering Brexit.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I think Sunak is a bit of a snake. Originally I was fooled but he's a true Tory.

Truly impaired.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:39 - Jan 27 with 1552 viewsDarth_Koont

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:25 - Jan 27 by Clapham_Junction

In a way I think it's worse because at least you had a good idea of what Labour stood for under Corbyn. As you said above, the lack of taking a position is concerning. In an interview last year the shadow housing secretary refused to say where the party stood on right-to-buy, which any decent government would scrap immediately. I tried writing to her about it to get clarification on what the party's position was now, but while she responded, she refused to answer the question.

Indeed.

And while he’s been triangulating on empty platitudes like family, nation and opportunity as well as showing donors and the media that they’re in charge of the agenda, he still hasn’t cut through to the Red Wall this is all aimed at.

I don’t think they like or trust him enough – and certainly there’s nothing to inspire. Meanwhile he’s peed off much of the remaining support including BAME, distanced Labour from Scotland even further and disillusioned much of the core Remainers.

I think he is a decent man but lacking any real political vision is a massive handicap, especially when you’re surrounded and seemingly controlled by the empty politics in spades of the Labour Right LOTO, party HQ and the majority of the PLP. Their ideology is to be useful to the establishment – which is a remarkable misreading of where the UK is and what its citizens need.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:39 - Jan 27 with 1549 viewsSpruceMoose

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:35 - Jan 27 by J2BLUE

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I think Sunak is a bit of a snake. Originally I was fooled but he's a true Tory.

If you're ever unsure J2, just check out which party they belong to.

If it's the Conservatives then you're safe to assume that they belong in the bin.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:40 - Jan 27 with 1545 viewsm14_blue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:33 - Jan 27 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t see that at all.

He’ll still have several years left with a huge majority and not sure he’ll be too keen to defend his Covid performance, even if the vaccination effort continues to excel.
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:44 - Jan 27 with 1529 viewsGlasgowBlue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:40 - Jan 27 by m14_blue

I don’t see that at all.

He’ll still have several years left with a huge majority and not sure he’ll be too keen to defend his Covid performance, even if the vaccination effort continues to excel.

As I said in the post, there is a massive bill to pay for the past 12 months of economic stimulus, and some very hard decisions to be made about how we pay it.

In 2024 we could be couple of years into another period of austerity and massive tax increases.

There will be a sense of euphoria when we come out of this and if we come out of it vaccinated before many other countries then he may decide that it's his best chance of winning.

2024 will be very difficult.

Iron Lion Zion

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:47 - Jan 27 with 1511 viewsm14_blue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:44 - Jan 27 by GlasgowBlue

As I said in the post, there is a massive bill to pay for the past 12 months of economic stimulus, and some very hard decisions to be made about how we pay it.

In 2024 we could be couple of years into another period of austerity and massive tax increases.

There will be a sense of euphoria when we come out of this and if we come out of it vaccinated before many other countries then he may decide that it's his best chance of winning.

We’ll see I guess, you could be right.
What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:48 - Jan 27 with 1507 viewsGlasgowBlue

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:39 - Jan 27 by SpruceMoose

If you're ever unsure J2, just check out which party they belong to.

If it's the Conservatives then you're safe to assume that they belong in the bin.

That's the sort of silly statement Lucan was on about a couple of weeks ago.

There are good and bad people in all political parties. Most of them want what they believe is best for the country. They just differ on how to achieve that.

The talk last week by Clinton, Bush and Obama is a good example of that. Disagreement on policy but respect for each other's commitment to the job and no character assassination because of their political disagreements.

Iron Lion Zion

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:48 - Jan 27 with 1503 viewsSpruceMoose

"As I said in the post, there is a massive bill to pay for the past 12 months of economic stimulus, and some very hard decisions to be made about how we pay it."

I'm sure the poorest will pick up the tab while the billionaire donors make a great play of patting all their pockets while saying 'So sorry, I appear to have left my wallet at home'.

What's happened to Kier Starmer lately? on 16:49 - Jan 27 with 1498 viewsDarth_Koont

There isn’t a bill to pay though.

We need to stop this idea of balancing the books because it’s society that suffers and the most in need and most defenceless suffer the most.

If we’re going to use a household analogy and incomings and outgoings then better to see it as mortgage that you don’t really even have to amortise.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024