Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need a striker, simple as 10:26 - Jan 28 with 2480 viewsitfcpaul

It won't rectify the playing style which is just laborious but it might give us a chance to convert anything we do manage to out together up front, Drinan isn't the answer, Jackson is out now for 3 games and isn't firing on many cylinders at the moment and Norwood looks like he is so fragile we may as well count him out for the season, Sears can play a bit part but isn't what we need and Hawkins is Hawkins, enough said. I really do hope that Lambert goes, but if it is after the game on Saturday as many are suggesting, whoever comes in will still have no decent strikers to play with, so we need someone in now, unless the incoming manager is already working on something. There are good options out there from up in Scotland, yes I know it's not the greatest level, but we are in League 3 and need someone to get us out of here, so maybe the guy Sunderland are chasing (Ross Stewart) might be an option, out of contract at the end of the season and his wages can't be much to compete with either.

Just my thoughts, as if we are stuck with Lambert we will need one anyway as we have none that are capable of scoring, although hopefully when Thomas and Harrop are in the team we may just create a little more, but the players we have just aren't good enough to convert them at the moment

I understand that we aren't in the best position with the best Manager to attract the best options out there but surely there are better options that we have, after all my wife has scored as many goals as Drinan has this season and I really can't see him scoring however many games he plays

There has to be young strikers who are scoring loads of goals we could bring in to help us out and clubs would be thankful to give them proper men's football game time
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 10:52]

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

We need a striker, simple as on 10:42 - Jan 28 with 2424 viewsbobbyramsey

Freddie is a good striker (if played in his best position) and currently our best option. Why "the idiot" plays the hapless Drinan before him is anybody's guess.

Hawkins is injured, out for six weeks approx.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 10:44]
We need a striker, simple as on 10:45 - Jan 28 with 2410 viewsitfcpaul

We need a striker, simple as on 10:42 - Jan 28 by bobbyramsey

Freddie is a good striker (if played in his best position) and currently our best option. Why "the idiot" plays the hapless Drinan before him is anybody's guess.

Hawkins is injured, out for six weeks approx.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 10:44]

You are right, Sears is our best option we have but in the great scheme of things he isn't great is he, he isn't going to score the goals we need to even have a sniff at automatic promotion never mind the play-offs, we do need to invest in someone, surely there is someone from the Premiership who would come and play for us from someone's U23's, Lincoln signed a young lad from Man City, there are going to be hundreds available if only we were looking in the right places and asking

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

We need a striker, simple as on 10:54 - Jan 28 with 2380 viewsitfcpaul

Does anyone have good knowledge of U23 football at Premiership or even Championship level to point me in the direction of someone who might be an option?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 11:15]

We need a striker, simple as on 11:08 - Jan 28 with 2336 viewsMrTown

We need a striker, simple as on 10:54 - Jan 28 by itfcpaul

Does anyone have good knowledge of U23 football at Premiership or even Championship level to point me in the direction of someone who might be an option?
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 11:15]

Someone mentioned Liam Delap.

One I'd look at is Fraser Hornby who is now out with Reines after deciding to leave Everton. Scottish youth, but not featuring yet.

I don't know whether the salary cap is 21 and under, or under 21.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

We need a striker, simple as on 11:17 - Jan 28 with 2307 viewsitfcpaul

We need a striker, simple as on 11:08 - Jan 28 by MrTown

One I'd look at is Fraser Hornby who is now out with Reines after deciding to leave Everton. Scottish youth, but not featuring yet.

I heard someone say Delap the other day, scoring for fun apparently, I think they have to be 21 or younger at the beginning of the season , even if you have to be under 21 on that date surely there are hindreds we could give a go to who are better then what we currently have

We need a striker, simple as on 11:39 - Jan 28 with 2274 viewsMrTown

We need a striker, simple as on 11:17 - Jan 28 by itfcpaul

I heard someone say Delap the other day, scoring for fun apparently, I think they have to be 21 or younger at the beginning of the season , even if you have to be under 21 on that date surely there are hindreds we could give a go to who are better then what we currently have

If that is the case, Fraser Hornby would lead my list. Was 21 as of Jan 2021.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

We need a striker, simple as on 11:42 - Jan 28 with 2268 viewsPhilTWTD

We need a striker, simple as on 11:17 - Jan 28 by itfcpaul

Cut-off date is New Year's Day 2020.
We need a striker, simple as on 11:44 - Jan 28 with 2257 views05Jchamb

Genuine question - our main issue is clearly a lack of goals but does that honestly change with a new striker (at least from the realistic options / quality available in our position)?

Our shots on target stats are woeful with it common (gut feeling please correct me if data proves otherwise) for us not to have a single shot OT until well into the second half.

I get your point about working within this constraint by increasing the likelihood our rare shots go in but surely the fundamental change needs to be an ability to create more scoring opportunities? Not sure a new striker will have much greater success in the long-run over the options we already have here unless the root cause is addressed.

The players we have in right now may never make it to the ITFC hall of fame but their historic career performances suggest they aren't all cr@p for this level. To me, this indicates that the issue is deeper than individual player ability and a new striker is more likely to end up succumbing to the same problem.

Appreciate this is hardly dazzling fresh insight and essentially lands on needing a different coaching perspective whereas your OP was about pragmatic solutions based on the assumption PL isn't going anywhere. As such... Sod it. It's not my money and maybe it works wonders. Anything must be better than this???
Login to get fewer ads

We need a striker, simple as on 12:18 - Jan 28 with 2224 viewshadleighboyblue

We need a striker, simple as on 11:42 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Cut-off date is New Year's Day 2020.

and I think transfer window closes on monday .....so no time for any new manager to act
We need a striker, simple as on 12:22 - Jan 28 with 2207 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

Apparently we're trying to get Will Swan from Forest on loan, although don't know much about him
We need a striker, simple as on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 2175 viewsBeckets

We need a striker, simple as on 11:44 - Jan 28 by 05Jchamb

Genuine question - our main issue is clearly a lack of goals but does that honestly change with a new striker (at least from the realistic options / quality available in our position)?

Our shots on target stats are woeful with it common (gut feeling please correct me if data proves otherwise) for us not to have a single shot OT until well into the second half.

I get your point about working within this constraint by increasing the likelihood our rare shots go in but surely the fundamental change needs to be an ability to create more scoring opportunities? Not sure a new striker will have much greater success in the long-run over the options we already have here unless the root cause is addressed.

The players we have in right now may never make it to the ITFC hall of fame but their historic career performances suggest they aren't all cr@p for this level. To me, this indicates that the issue is deeper than individual player ability and a new striker is more likely to end up succumbing to the same problem.

Appreciate this is hardly dazzling fresh insight and essentially lands on needing a different coaching perspective whereas your OP was about pragmatic solutions based on the assumption PL isn't going anywhere. As such... Sod it. It's not my money and maybe it works wonders. Anything must be better than this???

This season Lankester, Bishop, Edwards and Nolan are scoring at the rate of 1 goal per 3 starts. Jackson and Norwood playing as a pair last season scored at a rate of 1 goal per 3 starts. One of the problem this season has been keeping those players fit so we put the Fitness coach on gardening leave. We also decide against playing two up front. And Evans wonders why the fans want a change?!
We need a striker, simple as on 12:35 - Jan 28 with 2171 viewsCoco

If only we had the resources and squad depth of a Wycombe or Rotherham!

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

We need a striker, simple as on 12:54 - Jan 28 with 2139 viewsmrshallisfit

We need a striker, simple as on 11:08 - Jan 28 by MrTown

Forget Fraser Hornby. He's gone off the rails.
We need a striker, simple as on 12:57 - Jan 28 with 2126 viewsbadadski

We need a striker, simple as on 12:54 - Jan 28 by mrshallisfit

Forget Fraser Hornby. He's gone off the rails.

you ruined my train of thought
We need a striker, simple as on 13:05 - Jan 28 with 2108 viewsjayessess

Don't think the stats back up the idea that we are especially profligate in attack. It's actually slightly the opposite - we score more goals than you'd expect given the quality of chances we generate.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We need a striker, simple as on 13:20 - Jan 28 with 2079 views05Jchamb

We need a striker, simple as on 12:34 - Jan 28 by Beckets

This season Lankester, Bishop, Edwards and Nolan are scoring at the rate of 1 goal per 3 starts. Jackson and Norwood playing as a pair last season scored at a rate of 1 goal per 3 starts. One of the problem this season has been keeping those players fit so we put the Fitness coach on gardening leave. We also decide against playing two up front. And Evans wonders why the fans want a change?!

Agree keeping players fit is a massive issue for us and has been for ages.
We need a striker, simple as on 13:52 - Jan 28 with 2036 viewsKeaneish

I don’t agree. I think we have more than enough at this level. We need better delivery and more bodies to flood the box. Norwood, Sears, Jackson and Hawkins are all capable.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We need a striker, simple as on 14:07 - Jan 28 with 2015 viewsitfcpaul

We need a striker, simple as on 13:52 - Jan 28 by Keaneish

I don’t agree. I think we have more than enough at this level. We need better delivery and more bodies to flood the box. Norwood, Sears, Jackson and Hawkins are all capable.

but all injured, banned or not match fit as yet? Sears is OK, but past it now even at this level

What makes you think Hawkins can score what we need?

We need a striker, simple as on 14:21 - Jan 28 with 1990 viewsPhilTWTD

We need a striker, simple as on 12:18 - Jan 28 by hadleighboyblue

and I think transfer window closes on monday .....so no time for any new manager to act

Yep, nothing which can be done after that.
We need a striker, simple as on 14:23 - Jan 28 with 1986 viewsitfcpaul

We need a striker, simple as on 14:21 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

That's why we need someone in now, with maybe a chat with the incoming manager (if we are doing that) or making sure that if someone is coming in that he brings someone along with him

We need a striker, simple as on 14:24 - Jan 28 with 1982 viewsitfcpaul

We need a striker, simple as on 14:21 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

Although we can sign players unattached

We need a striker, simple as on 14:26 - Jan 28 with 1980 viewsSwansea_Blue

We need a striker, simple as on 12:18 - Jan 28 by hadleighboyblue

CLUB STATEMENT: DISAPPOINTED WITH MEDIA STANCE by Swansea_Blue 25 Jan 2021 9:27
He'll be gone soon enough. We've just got to wait til the window closes so the new guy doesn't have a chance to make a few changes. That'll be peak Ipswich under Evans.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We need a striker, simple as on 14:44 - Jan 28 with 1943 viewsKeaneish

We need a striker, simple as on 14:07 - Jan 28 by itfcpaul

but all injured, banned or not match fit as yet? Sears is OK, but past it now even at this level

What makes you think Hawkins can score what we need?

Freddie needs to play in a two upfront, history has shown this so why the likes of Mick and Lambert keep playing him wide is a mystery. Freddie used to be a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 striker. That, with a good partner is decent enough. Him and Hawkins with a couple of wide players around them, breaking midfielders and overlapping full backs would serve us well. In my opinion, managers have ruined Freddie’s career.

Lambert, like a lot of managers are transfixed on playing one up front even though the tactics they employ aren’t reaping any benefits. Col U are another example - they haven’t scored in nearly 10 hours!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We need a striker, simple as on 14:50 - Jan 28 with 1932 viewsPhilTWTD

We need a striker, simple as on 14:24 - Jan 28 by itfcpaul

Although we can sign players unattached

That is true but there's usually a reluctance to do so as they take so long to get fit. And actually there are less likely to be U21s in that market, come to think of it.
We need a striker, simple as on 14:53 - Jan 28 with 1919 viewshype313

We need a striker, simple as on 14:50 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

That is true but there's usually a reluctance to do so as they take so long to get fit. And actually there are less likely to be U21s in that market, come to think of it.

All points to the fact that Marcus seems intent on sticking with Lambert.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024