Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine 15:35 - Jan 28 with 1910 viewsMoriarty

The U.K. are ahead of the pack in terms of vaccination roll out and ahead of the EU.

Hopefully the Oxford vaccine is just as effective in over 65s and AZ’s data can bear this out.

Hopefully vaccine nationalism won’t become an issue. However, it is a little concerning that Germany say that on the data they have, it should be limited to ages 18-64.

A couple of days before EU expected to authorise it.

I’m in the 40-50 age category btw.

https://m.independent.ie/news/german-expert-panel-recommends-not-giving-astrazen

fka omuircheartaigh

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:39 - Jan 28 with 1862 viewsJ2BLUE

Public Health England have said there's no data on the exact immune response but that it does produce one.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:41 - Jan 28 with 1844 viewsStokieBlue

Oxford seemed confident that the Germans were wrong about this. It's been a total mess from the Germans, they said it wasn't effective, then they said they quoted the wrong number and now they are saying it isn't effective again.

Seems to be a lot of politics behind it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:57 - Jan 28 with 1752 viewsMoriarty

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:41 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

Oxford seemed confident that the Germans were wrong about this. It's been a total mess from the Germans, they said it wasn't effective, then they said they quoted the wrong number and now they are saying it isn't effective again.

SB

Wasn’t that because a German paper ran a story that the AZ vaccine had 8% efficacy in that age group (over 65) and that they had misinterpreted things? I think the 8% in fact refers to the percentage of people in the trials who were over 65.

The Oxford jab has a big advantage storage wise.

fka omuircheartaigh

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:00 - Jan 28 with 1733 viewsTJS

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:57 - Jan 28 by Moriarty

Wasn’t that because a German paper ran a story that the AZ vaccine had 8% efficacy in that age group (over 65) and that they had misinterpreted things? I think the 8% in fact refers to the percentage of people in the trials who were over 65.

The Pfizer jab is close to useless for undeveloped countries.
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:08 - Jan 28 with 1684 viewsLeaky

German health ministry have announced their newspapers got it wrong.
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 1625 viewsMoriarty

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:00 - Jan 28 by TJS

The Pfizer jab is close to useless for undeveloped countries.

The storage is a big logistical issue. More vaccines will come on stream over the next few months.

Personally, and leaving all National or recent EU v U.K. matters aside, my family and I will probably plump for the Pfizer one, but will have wait in line until mid to late Summer.

fka omuircheartaigh

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:19 - Jan 28 with 1612 viewshype313

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:17 - Jan 28 by Moriarty

The storage is a big logistical issue. More vaccines will come on stream over the next few months.

Personally, and leaving all National or recent EU v U.K. matters aside, my family and I will probably plump for the Pfizer one, but will have wait in line until mid to late Summer.

By then there will be a number of other vaccines, the Johnson and Johnson one looks like it could be up there, data coming back next week but whispers say it sounds exciting, add the fact that it can be stored at normal temperatures and it's only one dose, this could be rolled out vastly.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:19 - Jan 28 with 1612 viewsSteve_M

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:57 - Jan 28 by Moriarty

Actually, it seems it's not quite that but that the number of over 65s in he trial was too low to provide meaningful data. So one person seemed to be infected out of the small cohort which lead to a wide-confidence interval.

Lots of briefing to the media from too many self-interested parties here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:20 - Jan 28 with 1608 viewsMoriarty

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:08 - Jan 28 by Leaky

German health ministry have announced their newspapers got it wrong.

Hopefully EU approval tomorrow. Oxford is a game changer and the U.K. have a good reputation and track record on vaccines.

fka omuircheartaigh

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:29 - Jan 28 with 1563 viewsGlasgowBlue

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:19 - Jan 28 by hype313

By then there will be a number of other vaccines, the Johnson and Johnson one looks like it could be up there, data coming back next week but whispers say it sounds exciting, add the fact that it can be stored at normal temperatures and it's only one dose, this could be rolled out vastly.

J & J could be approved in the UK as soon as next week. Very positive news.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 1545 viewsclive_baker

Not a dig at your post at all Moriarty, just a general observation, is anyone a bit uneasy at the constant comparisons to other countries. Whether it be deaths or vaccine rollout etc. I get the data can be used to good effect sometimes, but its often now. Just seems like a race among countries for bragging rights more often than not. Doesn't really sit well with me.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:39 - Jan 28 with 1517 viewsChurchman

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:29 - Jan 28 by GlasgowBlue

That would be good news. The more that are approved, the more people will get vaccinated and the more the politics will be taken out of this. Time and further work will also improve the quality of the vaccines, but anything that brings the immediate crisis here down right now is good!

Easier storage and one shot capability will be crucial in the future. For poorer countries and remote areas, I don’t see how the -70 degree storage thing is feasible.
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:40 - Jan 28 with 1502 viewsm14_blue

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:29 - Jan 28 by GlasgowBlue

Sounds exciting.

Any idea on the supply situation?
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:44 - Jan 28 with 1479 viewshype313

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:39 - Jan 28 by Churchman

That would be good news. The more that are approved, the more people will get vaccinated and the more the politics will be taken out of this. Time and further work will also improve the quality of the vaccines, but anything that brings the immediate crisis here down right now is good!

Easier storage and one shot capability will be crucial in the future. For poorer countries and remote areas, I don’t see how the -70 degree storage thing is feasible.

“We are aiming for 1 billion doses in 2021. If it is a single dose, that means 1 billion people. But it will be in a ramp-up throughout the year,” Stoffels said.

That would be a game changer and put this nonsense AZ/EU spat to bed.

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:49 - Jan 28 with 1452 viewsGlasgowBlue

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:40 - Jan 28 by m14_blue

Sounds exciting.

According to the Torygraph “The UK has already ordered 30 million doses of the Janssen vaccine, with the option of 22 million more, and officials believe supplies could arrive in time to help the Government hit its target of vaccinating the four most vulnerable groups by mid-February”.

Iron Lion Zion

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:51 - Jan 28 with 1433 viewstractordownsouth

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 15:41 - Jan 28 by StokieBlue

SB

German elections are coming up in September - a bad vaccine rollout could be problematic for the CDU. Will be interesting to see how they get on regardless without Merkel.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:51 - Jan 28 with 1433 viewsJ2BLUE

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:44 - Jan 28 by hype313

“We are aiming for 1 billion doses in 2021. If it is a single dose, that means 1 billion people. But it will be in a ramp-up throughout the year,” Stoffels said.

That would be a game changer and put this nonsense AZ/EU spat to bed.

Doubt it would have any impat on AZ/EU. That vaccine is ready to go if it's approved. Judging by the EU's record they probably won't approve the J&J one for ages. This isn't going away and someone is going to lose out. The only question is who?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:52 - Jan 28 with 1422 viewsMoriarty

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:35 - Jan 28 by clive_baker

Not a dig at your post at all Moriarty, just a general observation, is anyone a bit uneasy at the constant comparisons to other countries. Whether it be deaths or vaccine rollout etc. I get the data can be used to good effect sometimes, but its often now. Just seems like a race among countries for bragging rights more often than not. Doesn't really sit well with me.

It has become a bit nationalistic. That has to stop.

The U.K. have surged ahead of the pack and it would a great achievement if they got all over 65s vaccinated by end of March. I heard one EU politician refer to the U.K. as guinea pigs because EU authorisation isn’t due until tomorrow and the U.K. have forged ahead. A horrible and unwelcome comment it was.

I’m hoping companies like Sanofi who gave up on the vaccine chase can join the effort by manufacturing under licence.

We’re all in this together and we all have an obligation to help poorer countries which we should all embrace.

You’re absolutely right. This should be about unity and humanity. Not politics.

fka omuircheartaigh

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:55 - Jan 28 with 1407 viewshype313

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:52 - Jan 28 by Moriarty

The U.K. have surged ahead of the pack and it would a great achievement if they got all over 65s vaccinated by end of March. I heard one EU politician refer to the U.K. as guinea pigs because EU authorisation isn’t due until tomorrow and the U.K. have forged ahead. A horrible and unwelcome comment it was.

I’m hoping companies like Sanofi who gave up on the vaccine chase can join the effort by manufacturing under licence.

We’re all in this together and we all have an obligation to help poorer countries which we should all embrace.

To be honest it's in all our interests, and I mean the EU, Asia, Africa etc to roll out jabs at the same time, which is why it's so frustrating to see the EU move so slowly on this, especially when Germany, France and Spain were all happy to proceed last year at the same time as us.

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:58 - Jan 28 with 1391 viewsmikeybloo88

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 16:40 - Jan 28 by m14_blue

Sounds exciting.

One of my wife's gym buddies husband works for J&J and told her a few months ago that J&J had already produced 40 million doses for the UK and were just waiting for final testing and approval....yes I know that sounds a bit he said, she said but it was quite a reputable source. We shall see...
An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 17:01 - Jan 28 with 1382 viewsGlasgowBlue

The is a good article in the New Statesman which explains why the UK got ahead of the game

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2021/01/matt-hancock-understands-un

Iron Lion Zion

An unwelcome twist - Oxford vaccine on 17:02 - Jan 28 with 1381 viewsStokieBlue

Sanofi didn't really give up, their vaccine didn't work well enough.

However they have sensibly moved on and they are going to produce the Pfizer vaccine so that's a good move.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024