Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! 09:16 - Jan 29 with 3843 viewsMeadowlark

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/screen-suffolk-reveals-netflix-the-dig-filming-70758
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:23 - Jan 29 with 2785 viewsMookamoo

Ralph has done a pretty good job.

Top quote from Charlie Haycock the voice coach: "everytime you lot do a film set in this part of the world you turn us into West Country pirates. I hate pirates"
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:40 - Jan 29 with 2672 viewsSwansea_Blue

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:23 - Jan 29 by Mookamoo

Ralph has done a pretty good job.

Top quote from Charlie Haycock the voice coach: "everytime you lot do a film set in this part of the world you turn us into West Country pirates. I hate pirates"

Watching it now. He’s murdering it. Much more Dorset that Deben.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:44 - Jan 29 with 2661 viewsjeera

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:40 - Jan 29 by Swansea_Blue

Watching it now. He’s murdering it. Much more Dorset that Deben.

Don't say that, I've been looking forward to it!

His voice coach from Sudbury, reckoned Ralph [!] got it right.

Maybe you've been in Wales for too long to remember.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 22:46]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:49 - Jan 29 with 2647 viewsfabian_illness

They played some of it on the radio earlier, the lady sounds like she’s just walked out of a pub in Bristol.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 22:49]
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:15 - Jan 29 with 2621 viewsSwansea_Blue

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:44 - Jan 29 by jeera

You could be right boyo!

He’s ok. It comes and goes. He’s spot on in some parts and West Country in others. The actress playing his Mrs has got it pretty well nailed though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:20 - Jan 29 with 2609 viewsstonojnr

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 22:44 - Jan 29 by jeera

I thought he did very good on the accent actually, so he should he was born in Ipswich :) its not Akenfield for sure, in fact only him and his screen wife were speaking Suffolk which felt a bit odd and maybe makes it stand out more than it should perhaps, than thats just how it was

but its just the way they told the story, Ill have to read the book to see how the story was portrayed but it felt a faithful adaption of the book, rather than an adaption of the history that happened turned into a story for a film, which alot of people might have expected instead and why all the complaints about Carey Mulligan being too young completely miss the point

but yeah on the accent I think he got it right, there wasnt a moment at all where I thought but thats not how you say that, whereas the wife there were a couple of times she mangled maybe a single word of a line, like saying future, and it stood out like Lambert apology.

I loved the fact they cast Johnny Flynn in it though, because there was alot of the Detectorists vibe from the film, and it appears alot of the nation hadnt realised how much of that show had been inspired by the Sutton Hoo discovery in the first place.
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:27 - Jan 29 with 2591 viewsBugs

The only review that counts. HTJI

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:46 - Jan 29 with 2568 viewsMeadowlark

Just watched it and I thought the accents were pretty much spot on. There were a couple of little things here and there that din't soun quoite roight, but they were oonly noticeable cuz the rest on it was soo good!
Login to get fewer ads

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 00:54 - Jan 30 with 2527 viewsJambo

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:20 - Jan 29 by stonojnr

I thought he did very good on the accent actually, so he should he was born in Ipswich :) its not Akenfield for sure, in fact only him and his screen wife were speaking Suffolk which felt a bit odd and maybe makes it stand out more than it should perhaps, than thats just how it was

but its just the way they told the story, Ill have to read the book to see how the story was portrayed but it felt a faithful adaption of the book, rather than an adaption of the history that happened turned into a story for a film, which alot of people might have expected instead and why all the complaints about Carey Mulligan being too young completely miss the point

but yeah on the accent I think he got it right, there wasnt a moment at all where I thought but thats not how you say that, whereas the wife there were a couple of times she mangled maybe a single word of a line, like saying future, and it stood out like Lambert apology.

I loved the fact they cast Johnny Flynn in it though, because there was alot of the Detectorists vibe from the film, and it appears alot of the nation hadnt realised how much of that show had been inspired by the Sutton Hoo discovery in the first place.

Carey Mulligan is too young though... Keeley Hawes would have been a good choice,
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 06:51 - Jan 30 with 2436 viewsMillsey

I thought it was a good portrayal and a nice film 👍
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 07:46 - Jan 30 with 2380 viewsBarcaBlue

I watched last night and really ejoyed it. A very gentle film with excellent photography and music.

The accents were more a nod to Suffolk than real Suffolk, the vowel sounds were too short, the "ing" was never pronounced as a "un" but a small thing really. Disappointed that any village scenes were clearly not Suffolk villages but the early scenes with the river and big skies had a real Suffolk feel.

Well worth a watch anyway, the acting was top notch and some really good characters mixed in.
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 07:51 - Jan 30 with 2375 viewsJambo

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 07:46 - Jan 30 by BarcaBlue

I watched last night and really ejoyed it. A very gentle film with excellent photography and music.

The accents were more a nod to Suffolk than real Suffolk, the vowel sounds were too short, the "ing" was never pronounced as a "un" but a small thing really. Disappointed that any village scenes were clearly not Suffolk villages but the early scenes with the river and big skies had a real Suffolk feel.

Well worth a watch anyway, the acting was top notch and some really good characters mixed in.

I agree. It was nice to see a film that features our little corner of the world.
It was also nice to hear the words Ipswich and Museum in a sentence, instead of Ipswich and “nil”
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 08:22 - Jan 30 with 2332 viewsGeoffSentence

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 23:20 - Jan 29 by stonojnr

I thought the same about the Detectorosts feel. It was a slow, gentle plot which I really enjoyed.

On the whole the accents were much better than usual for East Anglian settings.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:37 - Jan 30 with 2263 viewswitchdoctor

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 08:22 - Jan 30 by GeoffSentence

I thought the same about the Detectorosts feel. It was a slow, gentle plot which I really enjoyed.

suprised at how little of the find was shown...thought at least the helmet would have made an appearance...
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:48 - Jan 30 with 2234 viewsKeno

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:37 - Jan 30 by witchdoctor

suprised at how little of the find was shown...thought at least the helmet would have made an appearance...

Is Paul Lambert in it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:50 - Jan 30 with 2226 viewswitchdoctor

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:48 - Jan 30 by Keno

Is Paul Lambert in it?

noooooo Keno...he’s busy digging his own hole...
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:51 - Jan 30 with 2220 viewswitchdoctor

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:48 - Jan 30 by Keno

Is Paul Lambert in it?

dohhhh..gotcha..bit slow this morning..🤣🤣
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:55 - Jan 30 with 2204 viewsKeno

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:51 - Jan 30 by witchdoctor

dohhhh..gotcha..bit slow this morning..🤣🤣

hehe!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:58 - Jan 30 with 2194 viewsGeoffSentence

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 09:37 - Jan 30 by witchdoctor

The helmet was in bits when it was found. It was deades before it was recontructed and it is only a partial reconsstruction because a lot of it has corroded away. For the most part it wouldn't have looked at all impressive when discovered, the bowl, clasps and buckles probably would have been the most spectacular objects when found.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 10:17 - Jan 30 with 2150 viewschicoazul

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 07:46 - Jan 30 by BarcaBlue

I thought it was all filmed round the area..?
I enjoyed it mostly apart from the immensely stupid love story they shoe horned in.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 10:40 - Jan 30 with 2112 viewsBarcaBlue

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 10:17 - Jan 30 by chicoazul

I thought it was all filmed round the area..?
I enjoyed it mostly apart from the immensely stupid love story they shoe horned in.

I dunno, the landscapes defitenitely felt like Suffolk but the village scenes appeared to be elsewhere. The stone / brick didn't look familiar and there was one shot of a lane with a hill in the background leading out of a village. I may well be mistaken but some details didn't look quite right for Suffolk. It certainly didn't distract from the overall feel of the film.
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 13:00 - Jan 30 with 2036 viewsSharkey

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 08:22 - Jan 30 by GeoffSentence

I must say, in Detectorists I didn't think a single character even tried to do a north Essex accent. (As I undertood it, it was supposed to be set in the Halstead area, even if filmed in Suffolk mostly.) All the voice coach needed to do is play them interviews with Keith Flint (RIP) .

The only actor I've ever heard convincingly 'do' Suffolk is Keith Theobold in Twenty Twelve.
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 15:06 - Jan 30 with 1974 viewseastangliaisblue

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 10:40 - Jan 30 by BarcaBlue

I dunno, the landscapes defitenitely felt like Suffolk but the village scenes appeared to be elsewhere. The stone / brick didn't look familiar and there was one shot of a lane with a hill in the background leading out of a village. I may well be mistaken but some details didn't look quite right for Suffolk. It certainly didn't distract from the overall feel of the film.

I'll be giving it a watch tonight, so I'm assuming the village scenes you're talking about are in Surrey, as that's where some of it was filmed.
New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 15:09 - Jan 30 with 1965 viewsjeera

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 15:06 - Jan 30 by eastangliaisblue

I'll be giving it a watch tonight, so I'm assuming the village scenes you're talking about are in Surrey, as that's where some of it was filmed.

Why do they do that?

If the film is about Suffolk, why not flipping film it in Suffolk?

It's not like the camera crew are going to get mugged by some cows.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 15:15 - Jan 30 with 1951 viewsLord_Lucan

New film The Dig out today with proper Suffolk accents! on 15:09 - Jan 30 by jeera

Why do they do that?

If the film is about Suffolk, why not flipping film it in Suffolk?

It's not like the camera crew are going to get mugged by some cows.

Wasn't Only Fools and Horses regularly filmed in Bristol?

Although I believe the scene when Rodney led a hearse the wrong way up the one way street was filmed in Ipswich - Suffolk Rd?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024