Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aside from a new manager, owner etc... 19:28 - Jan 29 with 1122 viewsel_nino

I watched this clip where Peter Crouch talked about playing with Steven Gerrard:

Where he basically talks about standards at the club, how players like Gerrard demanded more from the players around them. It reminded me of the interviews on Blue Monday with Jim Magilton where he talked about when he joined Ipswich and drove the intensity of the training up, and brought everyone up a level, eventually culminating with his man of the match performance against Bolton in the 5-3 and our promotion.

We haven’t had anyone like this for a while. Someone who is respected by the other players, demands more from them and leads by example on the pitch. Increasing the expectation on a daily basis and getting them all through tough games, grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck etc. The players are just too comfortable. Who did we last have that was like this? I guess depressingly we are unlikely to find anyone that fits this profile in league one. Downes perhaps could be if he stays, from what I’ve seen on and off the pitch, but sounds like he will be off if we don’t go up.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 19:38]
Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 19:38 - Jan 29 with 1039 viewsGarv

I think it's fair to say you're less likely to find them in today's game, but there will be players.

Even Downes, he might lead by example but he seems fairly laid back generally, certainly not the intense type like Jim was.

You're right though, we need more of a presence in the squad. Feel like every manager since Keane has said the dressing room is a quiet one.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 19:39 - Jan 29 with 1036 viewsBlueBadger

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 19:38 - Jan 29 by Garv

I think it's fair to say you're less likely to find them in today's game, but there will be players.

Even Downes, he might lead by example but he seems fairly laid back generally, certainly not the intense type like Jim was.

You're right though, we need more of a presence in the squad. Feel like every manager since Keane has said the dressing room is a quiet one.

Be fair, the current lot probably can't get a word in edgeways for Lambert w@nking on about Dortmund and Celtic.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 19:42]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 19:55 - Jan 29 with 991 viewsjayessess

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 19:38 - Jan 29 by Garv

I don't see why players like that would be any harder to find in today's game?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 20:21 - Jan 29 with 924 viewsthebooks

The player you’re describing is basically Steven Gerrard, who would cost us about £50m to bring in. I guess he might have liked a challenge.

I have a theory on this. Luke Chambers basically fulfills this keeping-some-form-of-standards-up-despite-what-happens-elsehere function, and is very underrated. That’s why the team still looks vaguely professional on the pitch.
Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 20:48 - Jan 29 with 873 viewsel_nino

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 20:21 - Jan 29 by thebooks

The player you’re describing is basically Steven Gerrard, who would cost us about £50m to bring in. I guess he might have liked a challenge.

I have a theory on this. Luke Chambers basically fulfills this keeping-some-form-of-standards-up-despite-what-happens-elsehere function, and is very underrated. That’s why the team still looks vaguely professional on the pitch.

A lower league Gerrard would be good! (Å umulikoski anyone?!). As I said in league one it’s hard to find players of that callibre obviously, but someone with that drive and a bit of ability would be nice. Remember Magilton was playing in the reserves and dropped down a league, but I get that the circumstances were different and he bought into Burley’s project and ambition.

I think you’re right about Chambers- I think he probably still holds the respect of the players and has those standards, but I feel he isn’t able to be a leader in terms of driving performances on the pitch.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 20:50]
Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 21:39 - Jan 29 with 799 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interestingly Magic credited his time at Liverpool with instilling that mentality in him.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 21:55]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 22:25 - Jan 29 with 756 viewsel_nino

It’s a winning culture ingrained into the fabric of the club. Something to aspire to....
Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 08:53 - Jan 30 with 527 viewsjayessess

Aside from a new manager, owner etc... on 20:21 - Jan 29 by thebooks

This seems an odd thing to credit Chambers for when it's very obvious that (a) we don't keep standards up (b) the team doesn't look even vaguely professional on the pitch. It's not Chambers' fault, but equally I think it's odd to claim he's driving us forward in this way.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024