Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apollo 13 21:14 - Jan 29 with 2059 viewscatch74

Just switched on and thought how young the cast look. Made in 1995 - now get this, the mission was in 1970, 25 years before the film. The film is coming up to 26 years old. Time flies when you’re having fun.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Apollo 13 on 21:15 - Jan 29 with 1785 viewsBlueBadger

I have just worked out that this year, I am officially closer to my 60th birthday than I am my 30th.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Apollo 13 on 21:18 - Jan 29 with 1759 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 21:15 - Jan 29 by BlueBadger

I have just worked out that this year, I am officially closer to my 60th birthday than I am my 30th.

That was last year for me.

Apollo 13 on 21:19 - Jan 29 with 1753 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 21:18 - Jan 29 by catch74

That was last year for me.

- and the rest of my life.

Apollo 13 on 21:25 - Jan 29 with 1748 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just getting to the 'sh*t I'm getting old' stage. You can just about hang on to your good looks and athletic prowess into your mid-40s. After that it's all downhill. Even if you're a superfit, ultra-marathon man (twice a week) your skin starts sagging, the wrinkles get deeper and you start to look haggard. I'm hitting 50 this year and I look about 15 year older than I did at 45.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Apollo 13 on 21:26 - Jan 29 with 1752 viewsBlueBadger

Apollo 13 on 21:25 - Jan 29 by Swansea_Blue

Just getting to the 'sh*t I'm getting old' stage. You can just about hang on to your good looks and athletic prowess into your mid-40s. After that it's all downhill. Even if you're a superfit, ultra-marathon man (twice a week) your skin starts sagging, the wrinkles get deeper and you start to look haggard. I'm hitting 50 this year and I look about 15 year older than I did at 45.

Ever since I passed 40, 8 hours unbroken kip without needing to get up for a slash at around 3AM is essentially a thing of the past.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Apollo 13 on 21:29 - Jan 29 with 1734 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 21:25 - Jan 29 by Swansea_Blue

Well that’s cheered me up. Smashing through my haggering years right now.

Apollo 13 on 21:31 - Jan 29 with 1731 viewsDubtractor

Apollo 13 on 21:26 - Jan 29 by BlueBadger

Ever since I passed 40, 8 hours unbroken kip without needing to get up for a slash at around 3AM is essentially a thing of the past.

Yep, with both of you, once you glide past 40 things start deteriorating pretty damn fast don't they?!

And yeah, getting a full night's kip without needing a piss during the night is a rare thing of joy!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Apollo 13 on 21:35 - Jan 29 with 1726 viewsBlueBadger

Apollo 13 on 21:31 - Jan 29 by Dubtractor

Yep, with both of you, once you glide past 40 things start deteriorating pretty damn fast don't they?!

And yeah, getting a full night's kip without needing a piss during the night is a rare thing of joy!

There's a young fella in my local regularly puts down 3 or 4 pints of a work night and not only visits the bog once or twice but he SLEEPS all night through.

Login to get fewer ads

Apollo 13 on 21:45 - Jan 29 with 1711 viewsfactual_blue

http://you.regettingold.com/

So reflect on this

October 6th, 1889: The Moulin Rouge cabaret opened in Paris. This is nearer to my birth date than today.

[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 21:53]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Apollo 13 on 21:51 - Jan 29 with 1703 viewsLord_Lucan

It really is a great film and I love Tom Hanks, apparently Tom Hanks is an absolute lovely man despite being one of the biggest stars on the planet.

I have to regrettably say if I was as a big a star as him I would probably be a bit of a prick.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm a prick anyway.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Apollo 13 on 21:55 - Jan 29 with 1697 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 21:45 - Jan 29 by factual_blue

So reflect on this

October 6th, 1889: The Moulin Rouge cabaret opened in Paris. This is nearer to my birth date than today.

That’s perfect for me, scary but my kind of info.

Just wondering - when you have to scroll back to your year of birth on a phone, how long does it take now?

Apollo 13 on 21:58 - Jan 29 with 1697 viewsfactual_blue

Apollo 13 on 21:26 - Jan 29 by BlueBadger

Wait twenty-five years until you're on The Medication. Then it'll be every two hours during the night.

Except it won't be. There'll be no medication for anything in the post-apocalyptic world of the 2040s, where you'll all be living in irradiated, bombed-out ruins, slowly dying of radiation-induced ailments.

Apollo 13 on 21:59 - Jan 29 with 1692 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 21:51 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

It really is a great film and I love Tom Hanks, apparently Tom Hanks is an absolute lovely man despite being one of the biggest stars on the planet.

I have to regrettably say if I was as a big a star as him I would probably be a bit of a prick.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm a prick anyway.

Closest film star to you ,do you reckon?
I’m wondering Oliver Reed from the little I know about you from here!

Apollo 13 on 22:02 - Jan 29 with 1686 viewsfactual_blue

Apollo 13 on 21:55 - Jan 29 by catch74

That’s perfect for me, scary but my kind of info.

Just wondering - when you have to scroll back to your year of birth on a phone, how long does it take now?

Too long.

Moderately interesting facts

All DWP benefits IT has the base date of 1852 in it. This had the happy consequence of avoiding any Y2K problems. The reason for this is that they needed a date the preceded the oldest national insurance record held when computerisation started in the 1980s. 1852 was chosen as about ten years before the date of birth of the person with that NI record.

A further spooky consequence of this is that intermittently, and for no apparent reason, people will get a communication from DWP that gives their date of birth with the correct day and month, but with 1852 as their year of birth.

Apollo 13 on 22:08 - Jan 29 with 1678 viewsLord_Lucan

Apollo 13 on 21:59 - Jan 29 by catch74

Well it's probably very unexciting but when I was a kid I was the absolute double of David Morrissey

As for now, I think I am a bit like Daniel Craig when he walked out of the sea with his budgie smugglers on, or was it Craig Daniel? I get confused.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Apollo 13 on 23:33 - Jan 29 with 1604 viewsstonojnr

yep the film came out only 25 years after the accident, and it was 25 years last year that the film came out.

so they actually celebrated the 50th anniversary of the mission, with a 25th anniversary reshowing of the film last year, with Ron Howard and some of the NASA mission controllers involved, but it was during the peak of covid lockdowns so all socially distanced and stuff, I think theyd planned to re-release it in cinema with a remastering of the film but wasnt to be.
Apollo 13 on 07:02 - Jan 30 with 1511 viewsBloomBlue

I thought the actors in the first film were better than the remake although the 1970s special effects weren't as good
Apollo 13 on 08:24 - Jan 30 with 1480 viewsChurchman

Yeah, but who would you rather have a beer with? Oliver Reed or puffed up boring fop Hugh Grant? Another a bit like Reed was Tony Curtis. He always said that he wasn’t much of an actor, but got lucky and filled his boots. Good for him.

I liked Apollo 13. I read that it’s the one real astronauts really liked. Not because it was totally accurate, but because it captured the mood of the thing. Interesting differences included who said ‘Houston we have a problem’, there was no arguments in the spacecraft - they were too busy staying alive. Nor was there panic in Mission Control. When they made the air filter/C02 scrubber, they actually knew they could do it as it had been practiced, at least in theory, in preparation for a previous mission. Lastly, the sequencing scene with Mattingly did happen but it wasn’t just him and another dude as portrayed.

The mush who played Richie in Happy Days who I think directed it said that basically they tried to keep it as accurate as possible but it was a film so needed highs and lows etc

Great film though.
Apollo 13 on 09:21 - Jan 30 with 1465 viewsEdwardStone

L L makes Ollie look like a lightweight

Allegedly
Apollo 13 on 11:18 - Jan 30 with 1415 viewscatch74

Apollo 13 on 08:24 - Jan 30 by Churchman

Yeah, but who would you rather have a beer with? Oliver Reed or puffed up boring fop Hugh Grant? Another a bit like Reed was Tony Curtis. He always said that he wasn’t much of an actor, but got lucky and filled his boots. Good for him.

I liked Apollo 13. I read that it’s the one real astronauts really liked. Not because it was totally accurate, but because it captured the mood of the thing. Interesting differences included who said ‘Houston we have a problem’, there was no arguments in the spacecraft - they were too busy staying alive. Nor was there panic in Mission Control. When they made the air filter/C02 scrubber, they actually knew they could do it as it had been practiced, at least in theory, in preparation for a previous mission. Lastly, the sequencing scene with Mattingly did happen but it wasn’t just him and another dude as portrayed.

The mush who played Richie in Happy Days who I think directed it said that basically they tried to keep it as accurate as possible but it was a film so needed highs and lows etc

Great film though.

Definitely would have loved to have been a part of a night out with Oliver Reed.

Apollo 13 on 12:41 - Jan 30 with 1399 viewsBluespeed225

Apollo 13 on 08:24 - Jan 30 by Churchman

Great film though.

On a US trip I went to the Smithsonian purely to see the Apollo 11 return capsule. Tiny! Held together with nuts and bolts , pipe work joints like in your loft, switches like in a Cortina. Luna module trainer was there too, bigger than I expected, but to be up there with your oxygen running low, cold, relying on people on earth to get you home, then plunge through the atmosphere in that tiny box, the Right Stuff indeed. Gene Krantz is a legend!
Apollo 13 on 12:47 - Jan 30 with 1391 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thespians tend to be a vian lot by and large so it must be rather odd to see themselves as they once were, before all the plastic surgery. MInd you I sat through Gone with the Wind the other day - and they looked pretty good for dead people.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Apollo 13 on 13:15 - Jan 30 with 1381 viewsLord_Lucan

Apollo 13 on 09:21 - Jan 30 by EdwardStone

L L makes Ollie look like a lightweight

Allegedly

Only because you got so p1ssed in Amsterdam that your body stopped functioning and I got lumbered with a £260 bar bill.

Super day though, seems a million years away now.

Apollo 13 on 13:19 - Jan 30 with 1372 viewsEireannach_gorm

Apollo 13 on 21:45 - Jan 29 by factual_blue

So reflect on this

Great link.

Andy Murray + Kate Upton = my age.

Bram Stokers Dracula being published is nearer my birth date than today.

The total number of candles on all my birthday cakes so far is 1,953.

Apollo 13 on 13:40 - Jan 30 with 1348 viewsLord_Lucan

Apollo 13 on 13:19 - Jan 30 by Eireannach_gorm

Great link.

Andy Murray + Kate Upton = my age.

Bram Stokers Dracula being published is nearer my birth date than today.

The total number of candles on all my birthday cakes so far is 1,953.

Out of 100,000 people born on the same day as you, approximately 89,410 are still living

I'm doing ok!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024