Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? 11:23 - Feb 1 with 1199 viewssoupytwist

I was wondering whether we have fallen to the lowest point of any English club to have won a European trophy.

Apparently former two times European Champions Nottingham Forest managed to sink to 21st in League One after 7 games of the 2005-06 season before finishing 7th which was their lowest ever league finish. We haven’t got all the way down to 21st yet, have we? But we did finish lower than 7th last season.

Leeds (twice winners of the Inter City Fairs Cup) were still bottom of League One after five games of the 2007-08 season despite winning all five as they’d been deducted points for insolvency. It took them until the sixth league game to move up to 20th and they finished the season 5th.

Manchester City (once winners of the Inter City Fairs Cup) were in the third division in 1998-99 and dropped as low as 13th in December ’98 before finishing 3rd, their lowest ever league finish. They did go up via the playoffs that season.

I think that at the current rate of progress we will finish a completed season (rather than a truncated one like last season) in the lowest position of any English club to have won a European trophy.

There’s one for the CV Marcus Evans and Paul Lambert.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 11:23]
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:33 - Feb 1 with 1115 viewsJimmyJazz

I think that says more about how well we did under SBR - consistently overachieved maybe

English clubs to have won a European trophy is a small group

I'd look at how clubs like Wolves and Burnley were struggling in division 4 at times in the 80's after being top English clubs - but before Euro competition

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:39 - Feb 1 with 1069 viewsSwansea_Blue

Fulham won the UEFA Intertoto Cup in 2002. They'd finished 17th in the 4th tier in 95-96. But that's the opposite order (gives us some hope that we may improve in the future!).

In terms of winning a trophy and then declining, I can't think of anyone else that's dropped lower than us last year (and it highly likely we would have finished even lower still if the season hadn't been cut short).

We can add this to our honours. It's more tangible than just participating.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:44 - Feb 1 with 1025 viewsvapour_trail

Be interested to see how that plays out across Europe as well.

I think forest villa was the first fixture between former European champions to be played below a top tier.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:46 - Feb 1 with 1012 viewsSwansea_Blue

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:33 - Feb 1 by JimmyJazz

I think that says more about how well we did under SBR - consistently overachieved maybe

I'd look at how clubs like Wolves and Burnley were struggling in division 4 at times in the 80's after being top English clubs - but before Euro competition

For sure. If we set SBR's team as or benchmark, a lot of us will be living in disappointment for the rest of our lives. I don't know what our realistically achievable level is; I'd like to think we could challenge near the top of the Championship again some day in the not too distant future. That's not too unrealistic (under new management). If you get the right ownership/management team and a good group of developing players, clubs can often make a couple of jumps. As you say, Burnley and Wolves were very poor. Fulham I've mentioned. Plucky little Bournemouth, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:46 - Feb 1 with 1011 viewsPhilTWTD

I'll try and remember that one for the end of the season.
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 12:06 - Feb 1 with 943 viewssoupytwist

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:46 - Feb 1 by PhilTWTD

I'll try and remember that one for the end of the season.

Let's hope you don't need to use it. But if you do, I will happily accept a small mention for the idea.
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 12:08 - Feb 1 with 927 viewsurbanblue

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 11:33 - Feb 1 by JimmyJazz

No we didn't overachieve ... We were fookin brilliant!
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 12:15 - Feb 1 with 887 viewssoupytwist

If I had a lot of time on my hands I could extend it to English teams who have qualified for European competition. That would bring in Wolves and Burnley from the late 50s/early 60s (who would obviously trump us having been in division 4), Blackburn from the mid 90s, Stoke, Derby and Southampton from the 70s and QPR & Coventry from the 80s. Probably a few more that I can't think of or trawl through the relevant Wikipedia page to find.
Login to get fewer ads

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 12:19 - Feb 1 with 867 viewsPJH

Burnley and Wolves both played in the European Cup, even longer ago than we did.

Wolves also got to the very first UEFA Cup final in 1971/72.
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 13:02 - Feb 1 with 784 viewsThe_Major

At the rate we're going, we'll also be the first Champions of England to lose their Football League place in a few years....

(Don't think Notts County ever won the league. The Cup, yes though)
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 13:08 - Feb 1 with 754 viewslongtimefan

Though we have of course finished 17th in the 3rd tier previously.
Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 13:12 - Feb 1 with 736 viewsPJH

Could we set an unwelcome English football record? on 13:08 - Feb 1 by longtimefan

Though we have of course finished 17th in the 3rd tier previously.

Twice in fact 1949/50 and 1951/52.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024