Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager Candidates 15:59 - Feb 1 with 988 viewsBlueForYou

I had a little time earlier & thought I'd research some win percentages of various managers who have been mentioned in posts recently.

Potential Candidates Win Percentage -

Danny Cowley - 658 games @ 51.4%
Sir Bobby Robson - 1446 games @ 49.65%
Jack Ross - 245 games @ 49.39%
Darren Moore - 120 games @ 47.5%
Slaven Bilic - 416 @ 46.39 %
Daniel Farke - 231 games @ 43.7%
Paul Cook - 671 games @ 43.1%
Gus Poyet - 358 games @ 42.74%
George Burley - 700 games @ 42.4%
Nigel Adkins - 535 games @ 42.4%
Eddie Howe - 545 games @ 41.83%
Alan Pardew - 830 games @ 41.1%
Nigel Pearson - 497 games @ 40.85%
Chris Hughton - 470 games @40.0%
Joe Royle - 1097 games @ 39.11%
Mick McCarthy - 987 games @ 38.7%
Paul Lambert - 627 games @ 37.2%
Tony Pulis - 1137 games @ 36.06%
Chris Coleman - 426 games @ 32.9%

Obviously have to look at where the experience was at, Cowley is only at lower league & was somewhat found out higher up. Sir Bobby was simply amazing, he did it at the highest level everywhere. At the lower end we see two of our recent managers!

Two names jump out for me. Slaven Bilic & Darren Moore. Both currently employed. Bilic in China might be tempted? Then theres a certain Jack Ross.

If we want to keep everything in house, then surely you must recognise the record & experience of George Burley & get him working with Dyer & Butcher.

Just trying to help Mr Evans get things sorted!
New Manager Candidates on 16:02 - Feb 1 with 956 viewswkj

A win % of 41+ is not actually that bad (assuming the non wins have a healthy number of draws)

Makes Alan Pardew look not so bad...

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New Manager Candidates on 16:02 - Feb 1 with 957 viewsPlums

I have to question where Cowley ‘got found out higher up’? His record speaks for itself.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

New Manager Candidates on 16:04 - Feb 1 with 944 viewshomer_123

New Manager Candidates on 16:02 - Feb 1 by Plums

I have to question where Cowley ‘got found out higher up’? His record speaks for itself.

At 'Uddersfield?

Kept them up.....so, not really.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

New Manager Candidates on 16:06 - Feb 1 with 917 viewswkj

New Manager Candidates on 16:02 - Feb 1 by Plums

Cowley is the kind of manager you want to start a long term project with for sure. To the people that think they got found out higher up... nonsense. They saved Huddersfield from freefall and dumped him at the end of the season before he had time to do what he's known for - rebuilding.

Huddersfield are currently 14th with a negative goal tally - the problem was not Cowley's management there.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New Manager Candidates on 16:08 - Feb 1 with 899 viewsMrTown

I don't think he got found out at higher level. Read an article from Terriers journo yesterday who was contributing to Sunderland paper ahead of that move.

He described Danny Cowley keeping Huddersfield up as a miracle. The poorest football he had seen from Jan Stewiart prior to Cowley's arrival.

He also said he played a certain style, but remit was to stay int eh division, his normal remit is to be challenging at the top of the table so was a different job this round for the Cowleys.

He said would have been interesting to see how they had got on had they had a summer and pre season at Huddersfield.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

New Manager Candidates on 16:08 - Feb 1 with 894 viewsitfcjoe

Win percentage is such an arbitrary measure -there really needs to be a measure of overperformance vs expected league position etc.

George Burley did a fabulous job here, but his win percentage was high because we kept losing in the play offs - had he got us up in year 1 and kept us for 4-5 years he'd have a much lower win percentage but done a better job

As an arbitrary measure, surely points per game is better?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 16:09]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

New Manager Candidates on 16:09 - Feb 1 with 874 viewsBluefish

Sir Bob sadly isn't a candidate

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New Manager Candidates on 16:10 - Feb 1 with 878 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't stand win percentage.

If two managers have had 100 games. One has won 40, lost 60. The other has won 35, drawn 35 and lost 30. Win percentage puts candidate one at 40%. Candidate two 35%. Points per game though, one: 1.2. Two: 1.4.

Draws are part of football. Win percentage isn't fit for purpose.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

New Manager Candidates on 16:15 - Feb 1 with 845 viewsKeno

which we all know means the next manager will be Chris Colman!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

New Manager Candidates on 16:15 - Feb 1 with 829 viewsBluefish

New Manager Candidates on 16:10 - Feb 1 by J2BLUE

Can't stand win percentage.

If two managers have had 100 games. One has won 40, lost 60. The other has won 35, drawn 35 and lost 30. Win percentage puts candidate one at 40%. Candidate two 35%. Points per game though, one: 1.2. Two: 1.4.

Draws are part of football. Win percentage isn't fit for purpose.

You are Mick and I claim my £5

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

New Manager Candidates on 16:17 - Feb 1 with 816 viewsBlueForYou

New Manager Candidates on 16:08 - Feb 1 by itfcjoe

Win percentage is such an arbitrary measure -there really needs to be a measure of overperformance vs expected league position etc.

George Burley did a fabulous job here, but his win percentage was high because we kept losing in the play offs - had he got us up in year 1 and kept us for 4-5 years he'd have a much lower win percentage but done a better job

As an arbitrary measure, surely points per game is better?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 16:09]

Points per game would be an added assistance I do agree. I suppose a lose percentage also. Anyone fancy doing that? Jack Ross is quite interesting, his only English league experience was Sunderland where he actually did OK, he had 50.67 over 75 games there.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2021 16:21]
New Manager Candidates on 16:21 - Feb 1 with 789 viewsNthQldITFC

There are some names on there which I wouldn't have considered a month or two ago, but I think we're desperate enough now to take the plunge and offer it to Farke.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

New Manager Candidates on 16:23 - Feb 1 with 767 viewsthebooks

I like Darren Moore a lot. Some decent top level experience and Doncaster have out-thought us over the last couple of seasons. Be worth pursuing, I think.

As well as that, Pearson, Cowley and Cook, with Pearson as first choice. Although if you listen to interviews with him now, he’s gone weirdly nice and philosophical. I prefer Bob Mortimer’s version.
New Manager Candidates on 16:27 - Feb 1 with 736 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

New Manager Candidates on 16:23 - Feb 1 by thebooks

I like Darren Moore a lot. Some decent top level experience and Doncaster have out-thought us over the last couple of seasons. Be worth pursuing, I think.

As well as that, Pearson, Cowley and Cook, with Pearson as first choice. Although if you listen to interviews with him now, he’s gone weirdly nice and philosophical. I prefer Bob Mortimer’s version.

He is also employed.

We wont be pursuing anyone who is currently in a job.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

New Manager Candidates on 16:30 - Feb 1 with 716 viewsJ2BLUE

New Manager Candidates on 16:27 - Feb 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

He is also employed.

By the time Evans get around to sacking Lambert he might have retired.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

New Manager Candidates on 16:34 - Feb 1 with 696 viewsthebooks

New Manager Candidates on 16:27 - Feb 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

He is also employed.

No, I’m sure the cheapskate won’t. There are three good options out of work at the mo anyway. Pearson seems a clear best choice to me, but any would do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024