Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? 19:54 - Feb 2 with 10718 viewsSpruceMoose

Just what we need MORE of in politics.

Starmer Out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/02/labour-urged-to-focus-on-flag-a
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 19:54]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 19:56 - Feb 2 with 2636 viewsBlueBadger

Just going to leave this here.

Point for every one Banksy comes out with over the next fortnight.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/the-unrepentant-corby

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 19:56 - Feb 2 with 2628 viewsJ2BLUE

Nothing wrong with patriotism. It's not nationalism.

Need to push back against the Corbyn hates Britain nonsense.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:01 - Feb 2 with 2599 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh FFS .

So people can’t associate with them. How about some strong policies to put right all the things the Tories are messing up? A radical suggestion I know...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:03 - Feb 2 with 2588 viewsthebooks

You can’t out flag wave the Tories is something the Labour Party has failed to learn on several hundred-odd occasions now. Not sure why Starmer is so keen on repeating the mistakes of the past; lack of imagination, I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 20:03]
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:07 - Feb 2 with 2552 viewsSpruceMoose

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 19:56 - Feb 2 by J2BLUE

Nothing wrong with patriotism. It's not nationalism.

Need to push back against the Corbyn hates Britain nonsense.

Why bother? The right will only just invent some other imagined smear to screech from the rooftops. If it's not hating Britain it's not being able to eat a bacon sandwich.

The left needs to stop playing by the rules the right sets. They are never going to out Tory the Tories. Offer a credible alternative, not a sh!t tribute act.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:09 - Feb 2 with 2523 viewsGlasgowBlue

Hardly rebranding of the Labour Party. Attlee was a founding father of NATO and fiercely patriotic.

Labour has traditionally been the party of the working class. The working class have always been patriotic.

It’s something the last leader didn’t understand. Traditional labour voters thought he was more interested in what was going in in the Middle East than the middle of Yorkshire.

His eagerness to give Russia the benefit of doubt, against our own security services intelligence, in the aftermath of the Salisbury poisoning is cited as the beginning of him losing the 2019 General Election.

We celebrate Scottish, Irish and Welsh patriotism yet look down our noses on English or British patriotism.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 20:11]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:13 - Feb 2 with 2507 viewsJ2BLUE

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:07 - Feb 2 by SpruceMoose

Why bother? The right will only just invent some other imagined smear to screech from the rooftops. If it's not hating Britain it's not being able to eat a bacon sandwich.

The left needs to stop playing by the rules the right sets. They are never going to out Tory the Tories. Offer a credible alternative, not a sh!t tribute act.

It's one less thing which can be thrown at them. I don't see the harm. Many people love this country. It's harmless. Literally anything which helps gain a few voters which might potentially get the Tories out is a good thing.

Truly impaired.

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:14 - Feb 2 with 2507 viewsfooters

Ah, so this is what Keir's been busy with. Government by PR firms and focus groups. Great.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:14 - Feb 2 with 2502 viewspointofblue

Is it me or does this sound a bit like the Conservative rebrand under Cameron whilst they were in opposition?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:15 - Feb 2 with 2490 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:01 - Feb 2 by Swansea_Blue

Oh FFS .

So people can’t associate with them. How about some strong policies to put right all the things the Tories are messing up? A radical suggestion I know...

Does the Welsh first minister make announcements in front of the Baner Cymru?

Nicola Sturgeon would look out of place not standing next the the Saltire. And quite right too. She’s a Scottish patriot. Oh and a nationalist.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:16 - Feb 2 with 2492 viewsKeno

time for a quick chorus of the Internationale?

I'm out of work
and on the dole
stick your red flag
in your .... flower pot?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:17 - Feb 2 with 2484 viewsBlueBadger

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:09 - Feb 2 by GlasgowBlue

Hardly rebranding of the Labour Party. Attlee was a founding father of NATO and fiercely patriotic.

Labour has traditionally been the party of the working class. The working class have always been patriotic.

It’s something the last leader didn’t understand. Traditional labour voters thought he was more interested in what was going in in the Middle East than the middle of Yorkshire.

His eagerness to give Russia the benefit of doubt, against our own security services intelligence, in the aftermath of the Salisbury poisoning is cited as the beginning of him losing the 2019 General Election.

We celebrate Scottish, Irish and Welsh patriotism yet look down our noses on English or British patriotism.

The problem with English patriotism is that it's been far too long mired in small-minded nationalism.

Focus on how much you love your country, not how much you hate people you don't think belong.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:20 - Feb 2 with 2471 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:16 - Feb 2 by Keno

time for a quick chorus of the Internationale?

I'm out of work
and on the dole
stick your red flag
in your .... flower pot?

You mean ...

Arise ye workers from your slumbers
Arise ye prisoners of want

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:21 - Feb 2 with 2469 viewsJ2BLUE

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:17 - Feb 2 by BlueBadger

The problem with English patriotism is that it's been far too long mired in small-minded nationalism.

Focus on how much you love your country, not how much you hate people you don't think belong.

Not for the vast majority. You and GB are both right but many English people love their country only to have others sneer at them as if they are knuckle-draggers.

Why do we allow a small ground of pr1cks to hijack our flag? They don't own it.

Truly impaired.

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:21 - Feb 2 with 2469 viewsSpruceMoose

I was going to say, GBs post did rather overlook the reality of what the nature of English (bleeding into British) patriotism has been for a very long time.

Still, if America has shown us anything, mindless love of the flag and a selective reading of your own history is a great recipe for success.

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:22 - Feb 2 with 2458 viewsSpruceMoose

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:21 - Feb 2 by J2BLUE

Not for the vast majority. You and GB are both right but many English people love their country only to have others sneer at them as if they are knuckle-draggers.

Why do we allow a small ground of pr1cks to hijack our flag? They don't own it.

I don't know, why do you (they)?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:24 - Feb 2 with 2449 viewsJ2BLUE

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:22 - Feb 2 by SpruceMoose

I don't know, why do you (they)?

I don't. They don't own the flag of my country. I don't recognise it as their symbol. It's just a flag.

Truly impaired.

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:25 - Feb 2 with 2446 viewsChurchman

In all countries the flags are getting bigger and more numerous. The badges on the lectures like shields. I wish they wouldn’t do it. Leave that for football, rugby etc.
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:27 - Feb 2 with 2424 viewsthebooks

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:09 - Feb 2 by GlasgowBlue

“The working class have always been patriotic.”

Eh?
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:30 - Feb 2 with 2414 viewsSpruceMoose

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:24 - Feb 2 by J2BLUE

I don't. They don't own the flag of my country. I don't recognise it as their symbol. It's just a flag.

If, as you say, it's just a flag, then doesn't it seem a rather lightweight and empty thing to base your political party around?

I don't care about flags. Nationalism seems ridiculous to me. What I care about is substance, and you can make the argument for and promote all the kinds of things you mentioned - pride in your country, having a sense of belonging, wanting to highlight your country's values and achievements on the international stage - with substantive policy and how we interact with the rest of the world.

Photoshoots with Union flags, Beefeaters and double decker buses are cheap and hollow. Don't just act proud. Give us something to be proud about. I'd like a thoughtful Labour leader please, not Austin Powers.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 20:34]

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:30 - Feb 2 with 2412 viewsChurchman

Not for the majority of English people. There are no more bone headed people in this country as a percentage than there are in Scotland Ireland or Wales. The media (Sun etc) is a different story, but that’s not the people.

I see plenty of cars with Scotland and Welsh badges on them and no problem at all. I’d be interested to know if the reverse is the case in say Scotland.
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:31 - Feb 2 with 2408 viewsfooters

I reckon the English don't celebrate their flag more because they're the imperial nation of the union, really. It's easier to praise the union flag for the sake of unity, while the others all have some justification for keeping their national identity somewhat separate from their ruler.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 20:33]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:31 - Feb 2 with 2403 viewsSpruceMoose

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:27 - Feb 2 by thebooks

“The working class have always been patriotic.”

Eh?

Always been fodder for his party, I think he meant.

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:34 - Feb 2 with 2377 viewsFtnfwest

Oh dear, I’m taking cover in preparation for Koonts view on this!
Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:34 - Feb 2 with 2373 viewsJ2BLUE

Well well well. Flag and patriotrism eh? on 20:30 - Feb 2 by SpruceMoose

If, as you say, it's just a flag, then doesn't it seem a rather lightweight and empty thing to base your political party around?

I don't care about flags. Nationalism seems ridiculous to me. What I care about is substance, and you can make the argument for and promote all the kinds of things you mentioned - pride in your country, having a sense of belonging, wanting to highlight your country's values and achievements on the international stage - with substantive policy and how we interact with the rest of the world.

Photoshoots with Union flags, Beefeaters and double decker buses are cheap and hollow. Don't just act proud. Give us something to be proud about. I'd like a thoughtful Labour leader please, not Austin Powers.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2021 20:34]

I'm not arguing it should be a substitute for substance. It does no harm if used alongside actual decent policies which do all those things.

Whenever leaders meet the flags are in the background. It's just part of it. There's nothing wrong with adding a bit of imagery. As I said, Corbyn was accused of hating Britain etc and they are just showing the hard of thinking that Labour isn't actually anti-British.

If Starmer uses the flag and those other things as a substitute for actual substance then by all means criticise.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024