Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago 22:18 - Feb 3 with 5816 viewsnodge_blue

We have only had 3 managers that have taken the club forward.

They are Lyall, Burley and Royle.

Thats a pretty damning statement. Maybe open to slight debate but not much. The rest have managed us into a general decline and probably left us weaker than when they started the job.

We've only had two promotions in those 40 years as well.

How very, very sad. We deserve to be angry at the state of this club.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:19 - Feb 3 with 2866 viewschrismakin

Or have we overachieved and we're exactly where we are meant to be in todays modern football

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:21 - Feb 3 with 2852 viewsParamedic

Out of those who overachieved. Has to be Royle doesn’t it, with the club in administration getting us to the play offs twice. Just a little bit of luck in one of those seasons, things could have been so different.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:22]

AllalallalSunderland

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:23 - Feb 3 with 2832 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:19 - Feb 3 by chrismakin

Or have we overachieved and we're exactly where we are meant to be in todays modern football

No Im sticking at being angry.

You only have to look at Bournemouth, Brentford, Fulham, Brighton, the list goes on of same size or smaller clubs who have had success.

We haven't over achieved in the last 40 years lol.

Yes we did under Robson but I'm not asking for us to be UEFA cup winners.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:23 - Feb 3 with 2826 viewsPendejo

I think everyone can agree we overachieved, even if, in a way, we under achieved 80/81 & 81/82.

But I think "our place", is probably 2nd tier - potential attendances etc.

a tour of 4th tier and below look more likely right now.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:24 - Feb 3 with 2811 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:21 - Feb 3 by Paramedic

Out of those who overachieved. Has to be Royle doesn’t it, with the club in administration getting us to the play offs twice. Just a little bit of luck in one of those seasons, things could have been so different.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:22]

Yes he didnt get the credit he deserved. If he had just stayed on before Evans took over the club it could have been very different. He left cos he couldn't see how he could get us up without investment.

Typical ipswich we then get it and Magilton goes mad on signing average players like Norris.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:26 - Feb 3 with 2790 viewschrismakin

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:24 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

Yes he didnt get the credit he deserved. If he had just stayed on before Evans took over the club it could have been very different. He left cos he couldn't see how he could get us up without investment.

Typical ipswich we then get it and Magilton goes mad on signing average players like Norris.

Id' give anything for Norris nowadays, Massively underated player

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:26 - Feb 3 with 2789 viewsSwansea_Blue

Literally yes, we are where we deserve to be based on results. But he fact we haven't been at this level for 50-60 odd years suggests we're a league below where we should be on average. Look at the ground and facilities- we're a top Championship club in the making at least.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:29 - Feb 3 with 2760 viewspointofblue

I’d argue Jim took us forward too - we were 15th when Royle left; Jim got us into the top half by the time he left.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:31 - Feb 3 with 2759 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:26 - Feb 3 by chrismakin

Id' give anything for Norris nowadays, Massively underated player

That may be true. But at a time when 2.5 million bought you alot of player we messed up.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:32 - Feb 3 with 2755 viewsMattinLondon

Royal didn’t take us that far forward. Instead, his failure to get us promoted (with the squad he had he should have) has contributed more to our overall downfall then all of the subsequent managers we have had.

And I know that this is an unpopular view to hold - but you know, there you go.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:33 - Feb 3 with 2745 viewschrismakin

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:32 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

Royal didn’t take us that far forward. Instead, his failure to get us promoted (with the squad he had he should have) has contributed more to our overall downfall then all of the subsequent managers we have had.

it's a difficult one as I agree and disagree with you at the same time.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:34 - Feb 3 with 2743 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:32 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

Royle was delighted when he was given 50k to spend on the winger whose name im struggling to remember (curry). I may be wrong but I think that was the only transfer fee he had to spend in his time here.

Any yet we played good football. Nearly got automatic promotion on last day.

He worked miracles.

And a nice guy.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:35]

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:37 - Feb 3 with 2725 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:29 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

I’d argue Jim took us forward too - we were 15th when Royle left; Jim got us into the top half by the time he left.

Considering he had the money to spend at the time which for about a season made us the big players in the championship, I'd say he failed pretty badly.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:39 - Feb 3 with 2711 viewsMattinLondon

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:34 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

Royle was delighted when he was given 50k to spend on the winger whose name im struggling to remember (curry). I may be wrong but I think that was the only transfer fee he had to spend in his time here.

Any yet we played good football. Nearly got automatic promotion on last day.

He worked miracles.

And a nice guy.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:35]

Sam Parkin.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:39 - Feb 3 with 2707 viewsPendejo

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:37 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

Considering he had the money to spend at the time which for about a season made us the big players in the championship, I'd say he failed pretty badly.

How many years was Him in charge?

How long did he have money for?

I can't remember was it half a season?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:42 - Feb 3 with 2690 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:39 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

Sam Parkin.

Did he sign Sam Parkin for money? ok.

I did say some of this is open to debate but for me Royle was a good manager and we did well under him.

If you take him out of the equation then we're down to 2 imo!

Either way its pathetic.

Norwich have had more successful managers in the last 10 years than we've had in 40. Although one of those was Lambert lol.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:45 - Feb 3 with 2689 viewsHerbivore

Of those three only Lyall took us forward really. Burley took over in the top flight (albeit doomed) and left us bottom half in the Championship. Some great times in between and he got the academy ticking to, but he left us on the verge of administration and in a not very good way ultimately. And I say that having loved Burley.

Royle left us in more or less the same position he found us but with a much weaker squad. Arguably neglected the youth set up. Hard to make a case that he took us forward.

Mick improved us and took us forward, imo. He inherited a shambles that was bottom of the league and left a decent Championship squad. We had more academy players coming through too when he left than when he joined. I appreciate that view won't sit well with some.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:47 - Feb 3 with 2673 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:39 - Feb 3 by Pendejo

How many years was Him in charge?

How long did he have money for?

I can't remember was it half a season?

Im pretty certain that Evans gave him an initial budget of about 12 mil. And Im pretty sure he spent it all in the January window when we know its hard to get good deals.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:49 - Feb 3 with 2662 viewsMattinLondon

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:42 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

Did he sign Sam Parkin for money? ok.

I did say some of this is open to debate but for me Royle was a good manager and we did well under him.

If you take him out of the equation then we're down to 2 imo!

Either way its pathetic.

Norwich have had more successful managers in the last 10 years than we've had in 40. Although one of those was Lambert lol.

Think the owners of Norwich are sensible enough to actually employe CEOs who know about football and who have invested in a plan. We’ve had an one man egotistical dictator for over ten years who has employed people with little or no football connections.

Yes-Men who pander you an owner who asks Harry Rednappe for footballing advice.

It’s no real surprise that the club is now impotent and devoid of good ideas.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:52 - Feb 3 with 2631 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:49 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

Think the owners of Norwich are sensible enough to actually employe CEOs who know about football and who have invested in a plan. We’ve had an one man egotistical dictator for over ten years who has employed people with little or no football connections.

Yes-Men who pander you an owner who asks Harry Rednappe for footballing advice.

It’s no real surprise that the club is now impotent and devoid of good ideas.

I agree.

And an owner who got cold feet/ Tried to run it on a tighter and tighter budget. Then I think had a spell of disinterest. Though thats purely my conjecture.

Now he sees it as something he needs to right but the rot is too deep.

{I don't think the rots too deep. Its more no one is employed with the vision and the skill to turn it around]
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:57]

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:00 - Feb 3 with 2590 viewsMattinLondon

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:52 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

I agree.

And an owner who got cold feet/ Tried to run it on a tighter and tighter budget. Then I think had a spell of disinterest. Though thats purely my conjecture.

Now he sees it as something he needs to right but the rot is too deep.

{I don't think the rots too deep. Its more no one is employed with the vision and the skill to turn it around]
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 22:57]

The thing is I don’t think it is too late.

He simply has to admit that he has made some disastrous mistakes. Employ an actual CEO who knows what he is doing, make that job so attractive in terms of wages that very good people will come here. Give him a remit for whole scale change and inject some passion into the place.

First step get out of this awful division and build on.

Ok, I’m very tired the above might be floored.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:16 - Feb 3 with 2555 viewsnodge_blue

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 22:45 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

Of those three only Lyall took us forward really. Burley took over in the top flight (albeit doomed) and left us bottom half in the Championship. Some great times in between and he got the academy ticking to, but he left us on the verge of administration and in a not very good way ultimately. And I say that having loved Burley.

Royle left us in more or less the same position he found us but with a much weaker squad. Arguably neglected the youth set up. Hard to make a case that he took us forward.

Mick improved us and took us forward, imo. He inherited a shambles that was bottom of the league and left a decent Championship squad. We had more academy players coming through too when he left than when he joined. I appreciate that view won't sit well with some.

Football under Burley was the best I’ve seen in those 40 years. We could tear reams apart on our day. The relegation was with a high number of points but the lack of parachute payments back then couples with contracts where wages didn’t decrease was a disaster. Burley had no chance in the face of the fire sale and just massive drop in morale. He would have had to rebuild again.

Mick killed it for me. It just became joyless. A decent man but too stubborn and football was so dull. Did any of us really think we would win those playoff games against Norwich? You could see they were a better footballing side than us. It just got worse under him in the end. So he doesn’t count lol.

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:16 - Feb 3 with 2550 viewsChurchman

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:00 - Feb 3 by MattinLondon

The thing is I don’t think it is too late.

He simply has to admit that he has made some disastrous mistakes. Employ an actual CEO who knows what he is doing, make that job so attractive in terms of wages that very good people will come here. Give him a remit for whole scale change and inject some passion into the place.

First step get out of this awful division and build on.

Ok, I’m very tired the above might be floored.

No, I think it’s nice to see an optimistic view and there’s nothing at all wrong in that.

I just wish I could share it, but from the outside the club looks finished. A shambles. The only thing that could change it is if Evans sells up or moves on in some way that leaves the remnants of a club for somebody competent and who cares to pick up.

I really hope I’m wrong because I’m tired of not enjoying football. I am bored with a vacant Scotsman’s mumblings after an inevitable poor performance and being grateful for a 1-1 draw against Crewe.

Since Robson, the best managers in order have been Lyall, Burley, Royle, McCarthy. For the rest, the word best cannot be used in the same sentence as their names. They’ve all been dreadful to varying degrees.
Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:23 - Feb 3 with 2533 viewsHerbivore

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:16 - Feb 3 by nodge_blue

Football under Burley was the best I’ve seen in those 40 years. We could tear reams apart on our day. The relegation was with a high number of points but the lack of parachute payments back then couples with contracts where wages didn’t decrease was a disaster. Burley had no chance in the face of the fire sale and just massive drop in morale. He would have had to rebuild again.

Mick killed it for me. It just became joyless. A decent man but too stubborn and football was so dull. Did any of us really think we would win those playoff games against Norwich? You could see they were a better footballing side than us. It just got worse under him in the end. So he doesn’t count lol.

You can't just base this on who you like and who you don't like. Burley left before the fire sale, we only lost Bramble and Stewart and still had a crazy sqaud. Hreidarsson, Holland and Ambrose went in the fire sale some months later under Royle. I loved Burley, watching his sides was the best time for me as a Town fan. But objectively he didn't leave us in a better place than when he took over, he left us about to go into admin in the bottom half of the Championship.

Mick's style wasn't a patch on Burley of course but look at what he inherited versus what he left, the state of youngsters coming through when he started versus when he left. Objectively he improved us and took us forward.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Since Robson left nearly 40 years ago on 23:29 - Feb 3 with 2522 viewstractordownsouth

Mick took us forward. We had a one-way ticket to League 1 in October 2012 and he turned us into a play off side within 2 seasons. Even though we went backwards after that, he still left us with a mid-table squad until Hurst dismantled it.

Royle is difficult to judge. He took over a team that was in lower-mid table but shouldn't have been anywhere near that low. He improved us but took us to our lowest finish in 50 years in his final season. However, that was largely due to stuff he couldn't control. So basically, I have no idea if he took us forwards or not.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024