Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight 10:08 - Feb 4 with 1391 viewsmonty_radio

Just read an article in the Telegraph about how hard it is to score a bucketful in the time alloted, given that even the best teams will go through a turgid period in any game.

But it also reminded me that when the magic 10 is reached that we will hear:

"Well that's the first time that double figures have been achieved by any side in the top division since Fulham beat Ipswich 10-1 on Boxing Day 1963".
What they won't tell you is that we won the reverse fixture 4-2 two days later at P.R.

P.J.H. and others, I guess you were at that reverse game like me. I think that was the game played in dense fog? As to the 10 goals, I remember listening on the radio and hearing the reporter flashing back to Craven Cottage updating on the 3 minute hat-trick of Graham Leggat, after which I probably cried, but definitely remember switching off, then tentatively switching on again at full-time hoping, in my youthful naivety that there just might have been a turnaround.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 10:16 - Feb 4 with 1322 viewsPendejo

63/64 mad season

https://www.11v11.com/teams/ipswich-town/tab/matches/season/1964/

We won 3 of our last 4 games - something that would have seen us win the league in 80/81

4 of the last 5 wins were 4-3

Mad

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 13:11 - Feb 4 with 1209 viewsPJH

Yes the 4-2 win at Portman Road was in the fog and I remember only being able to see about as far as the halfway line from the front of Churchmans at times.

I don't think I knew what was going on at Craven Cottage during the game, I think the first I knew was when we turned the radio on for 'Sports Report' (if that was what it was then called) at 5 o'clock.

Regarding our 9-0 at Old Trafford, my son was going through his Man Utd supporting phase at the time, although he grew out of it, so that afternoon was particularly difficult for me-I think that I would have rather been there!
Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 13:16 - Feb 4 with 1193 viewsPJH

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 10:16 - Feb 4 by Pendejo

63/64 mad season

https://www.11v11.com/teams/ipswich-town/tab/matches/season/1964/

We won 3 of our last 4 games - something that would have seen us win the league in 80/81

4 of the last 5 wins were 4-3

Mad

I cannot recall exactly at what point our relegation was mathematically confirmed but certainly the last of those wins was irrelevant and maybe more. We were relegated by 4 points plus we had a vastly inferior goal average (as it would have been then) with it being 2 points for a win.

Gerry Baker scored 15 League goals in 20 games that season, not bad in what was a pretty poor team.
Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 19:25 - Feb 4 with 1023 viewsmonty_radio

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 13:11 - Feb 4 by PJH

Yes the 4-2 win at Portman Road was in the fog and I remember only being able to see about as far as the halfway line from the front of Churchmans at times.

I don't think I knew what was going on at Craven Cottage during the game, I think the first I knew was when we turned the radio on for 'Sports Report' (if that was what it was then called) at 5 o'clock.

Regarding our 9-0 at Old Trafford, my son was going through his Man Utd supporting phase at the time, although he grew out of it, so that afternoon was particularly difficult for me-I think that I would have rather been there!

I think I watched it from the North Stand,but again, could really only imagine what was going on in the other half of the field. And wasn't it also on Match of the Week - who faired a bit better because their cameras were on the halfway line?

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 19:34 - Feb 4 with 1011 viewsKeno

To be fair it doesnt take a 3 minute hattrick nowadays, I usually feel like that after the team sheet is announced
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 19:35]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 20:42 - Feb 4 with 952 viewsPJH

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 19:25 - Feb 4 by monty_radio

I think I watched it from the North Stand,but again, could really only imagine what was going on in the other half of the field. And wasn't it also on Match of the Week - who faired a bit better because their cameras were on the halfway line?

So between us, we probably saw the whole game!
Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 20:44 - Feb 4 with 946 viewsJ2BLUE

it might be mentioned as a one off but the new record would be 10 just like it has been 9 even though the true record is something like 13.

Records began again accoriding to the media when the Prem was formed.

So your OP is not true at all.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 20:56 - Feb 4 with 930 viewsPJH

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 20:44 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

it might be mentioned as a one off but the new record would be 10 just like it has been 9 even though the true record is something like 13.

Just checked, biggest in English top division is 12-0 in 1892 and 1909.
Login to get fewer ads

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:21 - Feb 4 with 887 viewsmonty_radio

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 20:44 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

Think you'll see that my O.P. referenced the biggest win SINCE Boxing Day 1963, not ever.

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:28 - Feb 4 with 865 viewsJ2BLUE

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:21 - Feb 4 by monty_radio

Think you'll see that my O.P. referenced the biggest win SINCE Boxing Day 1963, not ever.

I know but my point is that we'd hardly be in the spotlight. It would be mentioned on the day and then probably very rarely after that. Sky don't count anything before 1992.

Truly impaired.

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:36 - Feb 4 with 848 viewsolimar

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:28 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I know but my point is that we'd hardly be in the spotlight. It would be mentioned on the day and then probably very rarely after that. Sky don't count anything before 1992.

Thats exactly the reason why I knew we had effectively lost the 9 goal record when Leicester beat Southampton 9-0 last season..... From that point onwards, the frame of reference would always be "....biggest loss since Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester...." there would never be any reason to look further back, other than to say "...oh it happened to Ipswich 25 years earlier too...."

The Ipswich 9 was essentially freed that day from ever being spoken about- the only thing we need to get rid of it from is the record books completely.
Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:39 - Feb 4 with 835 viewsjeera

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:28 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

Oh to be that significant again.

Can you imagine?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:40 - Feb 4 with 831 viewsJ2BLUE

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:39 - Feb 4 by jeera

Oh to be that significant again.

Can you imagine?

I honestly can't.

Truly impaired.

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:41 - Feb 4 with 825 viewsjeera

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:40 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I honestly can't.

It was just a fleeting moment.

You could have just gone with it.

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:09 - Feb 4 with 769 viewsmonty_radio

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 21:36 - Feb 4 by olimar

Thats exactly the reason why I knew we had effectively lost the 9 goal record when Leicester beat Southampton 9-0 last season..... From that point onwards, the frame of reference would always be "....biggest loss since Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester...." there would never be any reason to look further back, other than to say "...oh it happened to Ipswich 25 years earlier too...."

The Ipswich 9 was essentially freed that day from ever being spoken about- the only thing we need to get rid of it from is the record books completely.

Some will still recall, unfortunately, just as I haven't expunged Norwich 0 Colchester 7 from my memory.

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:48 - Feb 4 with 722 viewsjaykay

Arbroath 36—0 Bon Accord that' a goal ever 2 and half minutes.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:55 - Feb 4 with 710 viewsjeera

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:09 - Feb 4 by monty_radio

Some will still recall, unfortunately, just as I haven't expunged Norwich 0 Colchester 7 from my memory.

I wonder if anyone in Luxemburg still talks about Town.

Probably not.

"Remember that game against the famous Town of Ipswich?"

"Who?"

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 23:14 - Feb 4 with 693 viewsjaykay

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:55 - Feb 4 by jeera

I wonder if anyone in Luxemburg still talks about Town.

Probably not.

"Remember that game against the famous Town of Ipswich?"

"Who?"

floriana f.c malta
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 23:15]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 09:58 - Feb 5 with 536 viewsmonty_radio

Any team conceding 10 in the Prem won't get us out of the spotlight on 22:48 - Feb 4 by jaykay

Arbroath 36—0 Bon Accord that' a goal ever 2 and half minutes.

I was thinking about that. It would have to have been such an almighty mismatch to allow Abroath to walk up and score that often. I read somewhere that a little boy who was watching from behind the Abroath goal said he and the goalie had "passed the time by sharing a bag of sweeties".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024