Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gambling 20:28 - Feb 4 with 6596 viewsBasuco

In a study by the University of Oxford they found 218,000 Britons spend more than £1,800 a month on gambling, the project analysed the spending of 6.5 million Lloyds bank customers. While some will be able to sustain this, there will be many who can't, these are incredible levels of gambling.
Gambling on 20:42 - Feb 4 with 5337 viewsJ2BLUE

Have you got a link please?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Gambling on 20:52 - Feb 4 with 5319 viewsfactual_blue

Gambling on 20:42 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-01045-w

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gambling on 20:56 - Feb 4 with 5300 viewsDarth_Koont

Jesus H.

That really isn’t good for anyone apart from gambling firms.

Pronouns: He/Him

Gambling on 20:58 - Feb 4 with 5298 viewsBasuco

Gambling on 20:42 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

It is on twitter from Tom Witherow.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 20:59]
Gambling on 21:02 - Feb 4 with 5287 viewsfooters

This was a great listen today from Goldman's head of commodities on the attempted silver short squeeze in terms of the metal's history in populism. The people are so fundamentally worse off that they turn to speculation and other forms of economic power - such as silver vs govt. gold, crypto vs fiat, etc - just to maintain a stake in the economy.

In short, people poor, internet money machine go brrrr.

http://player.megaphone.fm/BLM9154058570

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Gambling on 21:11 - Feb 4 with 5246 viewsBent_double

Gambling on 20:56 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

Jesus H.

That really isn’t good for anyone apart from gambling firms.

Oh I don't know...the taxman seems to do alright out of it.

https://www.cityam.com/billionaire-coates-family-of-bet365-stump-up-half-a-billi

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Gambling on 21:11 - Feb 4 with 5247 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling on 20:58 - Feb 4 by Basuco

It is on twitter from Tom Witherow.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2021 20:59]

Thanks. And thanks Facters.

That's an incredible figure. £180 would have got my attention. £1800 is insane.

Truly impaired.

Gambling on 21:13 - Feb 4 with 5234 viewsfooters

Gambling on 21:11 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

Some of us just love Keno...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Gambling on 21:20 - Feb 4 with 5208 viewsjeera

Gambling on 21:11 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

That's a nice compliment to Facters there.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gambling on 21:21 - Feb 4 with 5202 viewsjeera

Gambling on 20:52 - Feb 4 by factual_blue

They want bloomin' 8 quid to read it!

Gambling on 21:22 - Feb 4 with 5197 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling on 21:21 - Feb 4 by jeera

They want bloomin' 8 quid to read it!

I bet you no one will pay it.

Truly impaired.

Gambling on 21:23 - Feb 4 with 5181 viewsjeera

Gambling on 21:22 - Feb 4 by J2BLUE

I bet you no one will pay it.

I know of just over two hundred thousand people who might take you up on that.

Gambling on 21:27 - Feb 4 with 5172 viewsDarth_Koont

Gambling on 21:11 - Feb 4 by Bent_double

Oh I don't know...the taxman seems to do alright out of it.

https://www.cityam.com/billionaire-coates-family-of-bet365-stump-up-half-a-billi

That’s just a small percentage. And probably going to be spent on maiming Yemenis. Or building moats. Or buying faulty PPE.

I’m exaggerating but tax isn’t an upside. It’s always proportional (and proportionally smaller) to the damage.

Pronouns: He/Him

Gambling on 22:28 - Feb 4 with 5056 viewsfactual_blue

Gambling on 21:20 - Feb 4 by jeera

That's a nice compliment to Facters there.

My body is a temple.

Think Parthenon.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gambling on 22:37 - Feb 4 with 5043 viewsJakeITFC

A clarification because I think the headline is misleading, just because these people deposit >£1,800 month, they don’t necessarily spend it (that is to say every person in this study could withdraw £1,900 the next day in theory and the headline would still be applicable).

I think a net spend figure would be more instructive here and I think it damages the result of the study that has some genuinely important insight to add.
Gambling on 13:11 - May 25 with 4600 viewsViksHrks

Gambling on 20:52 - Feb 4 by factual_blue

This article is telling how much money they are spending on gambling, but it is not telling. For example, I am practicing crypto betting. I spend two thousand dollars a month on it. I usually bet using LiteCoin, Bitcoin, and Ethereum. I started it when I was a student, and many of my relatives were contra the fact that I am betting. The years passed, and I obtained experience in this domain, and it became my second source of income, I can't say that I am making so much money that I don't need to work anymore, but additional money is never something bad.
[Post edited 29 May 2021 10:04]
Gambling on 13:12 - May 25 with 4581 viewschicoazul

Does that include pensions and investments.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gambling on 13:33 - May 25 with 4528 viewsJ2BLUE

Gambling on 22:37 - Feb 4 by JakeITFC

A clarification because I think the headline is misleading, just because these people deposit >£1,800 month, they don’t necessarily spend it (that is to say every person in this study could withdraw £1,900 the next day in theory and the headline would still be applicable).

I think a net spend figure would be more instructive here and I think it damages the result of the study that has some genuinely important insight to add.

Interesting point. The matched betting company I am a member of has had 120,000 UK members so there could be plenty of people moving money around for that reason.

Not to minimise the problem the UK has with gambling of course.

Truly impaired.

Gambling on 13:39 - May 25 with 4516 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Whilst the point is interesting, it’s definitely worth highlighting that the headline and that number are inflated.

I would be one that would be in that bracket (I know the amount as I track it and it’s more than thag per month). However, for me and a lot of people, it’s not actually £1800. Someone may deposit £100 on a the first morning of the month, and that £100 with wins and losses over the next two weeks, have bet a grand but still have that same £100 in their account. If they then lose the £100 on the last day of the month, it’s a £100 loss but would’ve have officially gambled over 1k.

I’m not saying there isn’t an issue with some people as their clearly is but that number is used to scaremonger people without thinking that £1,800 isn’t actually spent. It would usually be a fraction of that that is actually deposited.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Gambling on 14:01 - May 25 with 4456 viewsEddyJ

Gambling on 13:39 - May 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Whilst the point is interesting, it’s definitely worth highlighting that the headline and that number are inflated.

I would be one that would be in that bracket (I know the amount as I track it and it’s more than thag per month). However, for me and a lot of people, it’s not actually £1800. Someone may deposit £100 on a the first morning of the month, and that £100 with wins and losses over the next two weeks, have bet a grand but still have that same £100 in their account. If they then lose the £100 on the last day of the month, it’s a £100 loss but would’ve have officially gambled over 1k.

I’m not saying there isn’t an issue with some people as their clearly is but that number is used to scaremonger people without thinking that £1,800 isn’t actually spent. It would usually be a fraction of that that is actually deposited.

The data comes from bank records. Does that not suggest that £1800 is deposited per month? i.e. the individuals could be gambling significantly higher amounts.
Gambling on 14:10 - May 25 with 4427 viewsKeno

Gambling on 21:13 - Feb 4 by footers

Some of us just love Keno...

What??

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Gambling on 14:20 - May 25 with 4407 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Gambling on 14:01 - May 25 by EddyJ

The data comes from bank records. Does that not suggest that £1800 is deposited per month? i.e. the individuals could be gambling significantly higher amounts.

Well not necessarily because it wouldn’t involve withdrawals.

I think it’s slightly misleading personally

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Gambling on 16:23 - May 25 with 4331 views26_Paz

Wow, that’s crazy. Unless you’re very well off that’s going to be hugely problematic!

The Paz Man

Gambling on 02:09 - May 27 with 4176 viewsClareBlue

Yes it is very misleading. There are significant numbers who withdraw at the end of a day or week then deposited again the next week or so. The majority of gamblers do not leave sums in the account and significant numbers withdraw what is there. It absolutely has to be net deposits and by not doing this it is poor research.
Gambling on 02:51 - May 27 with 4154 viewsBarneycurley

The problem is clearly made worse by the continual trend of online gambling. As many will know the more you can remove the very fact of handing over cash the less impact it has in the brain that regulates spending.

Its a worry that's for sure, hopefully technology as it often does provides a solution to combating the spending patterns etc.

I am happy to admit I got into a loop which I am now out of but its very, very easy to lose control these days.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024