Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. 14:17 - Feb 5 with 1937 viewsMattinLondon

Earlier today I a video work call and something came up which has now Left me pondering what to do.

At the end of the call, one of the younger lads stated that he discovered an ‘old band’ which he really liked and was going to buy more of their music. This band turned out to be the lostprophets. If you never heard of them then the lead singer was found guilty of absolutely heinous crimes against babies and children. At the time I had to go into another call and forgot about all of this.

In this situation would you mention the singers past to him? I don’t think the rest of the band should suffer but equally I’m pretty sure most people would t want to be lining his pockets. Or would you just ignore it? Thanks.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 14:18]
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:21 - Feb 5 with 1895 viewsSpruceMoose

Depends on your relationship with him? If you're a good mate I'd definitely say something. If it was someone I had a strictly professional relationship with then I'm not sure I'd take it upon myself to get involved with it.

Surely if he has taken a liking to them it'll only be a matter of time before he sticks the band name into Google, has a read, and then quickly deletes all the music he owns by them and spends a week or two hoping nobody took much notice when he said he liked them?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:24 - Feb 5 with 1878 viewsMattinLondon

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:21 - Feb 5 by SpruceMoose

Depends on your relationship with him? If you're a good mate I'd definitely say something. If it was someone I had a strictly professional relationship with then I'm not sure I'd take it upon myself to get involved with it.

Surely if he has taken a liking to them it'll only be a matter of time before he sticks the band name into Google, has a read, and then quickly deletes all the music he owns by them and spends a week or two hoping nobody took much notice when he said he liked them?

Kinda professional but matey if that makes sense. He’s a good lad.

Think you’re probably right, he’s quite intelligent and will probably google them for more information about them. Cheers.
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:26 - Feb 5 with 1867 viewsSpruceMoose

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:24 - Feb 5 by MattinLondon

Kinda professional but matey if that makes sense. He’s a good lad.

Think you’re probably right, he’s quite intelligent and will probably google them for more information about them. Cheers.

Tricky though innit? It's the kind of thing that a couple of years ago would have been handled in a thirty second conversation down the pub over a couple of pints. But now... urgh. Are you going to set up a Zoom call just to tell him? Heck no.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:27 - Feb 5 with 1855 viewsvapour_trail

Yeah I would, I’d send him a note with a link to a news item and say, don’t know if you’re aware of this...

Edit: maybe put him onto the Garry Glitter Band as an alternative tip
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 14:28]

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:29 - Feb 5 with 1840 viewsfooters

Tell him to get a better taste in music. Problem solved.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:18 - Feb 5 with 1785 viewsWeWereZombies

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:27 - Feb 5 by vapour_trail

Yeah I would, I’d send him a note with a link to a news item and say, don’t know if you’re aware of this...

Just the one r in that Gary btw, not that it would stop YouTube from suggesting some tracks by Rolf Harris if you had also searched for Garry Glitter...

Bonus question - How is Ann Widdecombe connected to Gary Glitter?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:20 - Feb 5 with 1779 viewsJ2BLUE

I think i'd want to be told. I only had one track of theirs when that news came out but it was promptly deleted.

Didn't the rest of the band change name and go on? Possible with a new member? Maybe link him to them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:21 - Feb 5 with 1776 viewsvapour_trail

Would it be inappropriate to start a Friday tunes: wronguns edition, thread?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:43 - Feb 5 with 1745 viewsmo_itfc

Probably worth telling him to google lostprophets first...

then point him towards No Devotion and Thursday.

The band members minus the singer make the band No Devotion with the singer from Thursday.
The bassist from lostprophets now plays bassist for Thursday.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:45 - Feb 5 with 1741 viewsmo_itfc

lostprophets has 98,000 monthly listeners on spotify...
I personally can't listen to them again.

I do struggle with the separation between the art and the artist.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:47 - Feb 5 with 1732 viewsclive_baker

I probably wouldn't mention it on a work call in front of other people, no. Might be a little embarrassing for him.

Personally I wouldn't listen to their music anymore. I saw them live back in the day, Rooftops was a real banger but nah, wouldn't listen to them now for that reason. Might be worth mentioning it to him on the sly, but equally if you don't know him all that well it's probably not worth it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:49 - Feb 5 with 1721 viewsEwan_Oozami

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:21 - Feb 5 by vapour_trail

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 16:42 - Feb 5 with 1674 viewsJakeITFC

I personally am the sort of person that can separate the art from the artist, but I think that the Lost Prophets case is one so heinous that the guy would be better off knowing (because it could become quite socially awkward inadvertently for him).
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:05 - Feb 5 with 1652 viewsSitfcB

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:21 - Feb 5 by vapour_trail

[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 17:05]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 17:32 - Feb 5 with 1596 viewsMattinLondon

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 14:27 - Feb 5 by vapour_trail

Just seen your thread - made me smile.
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 17:47 - Feb 5 with 1577 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 16:42 - Feb 5 by JakeITFC

I personally am the sort of person that can separate the art from the artist, but I think that the Lost Prophets case is one so heinous that the guy would be better off knowing (because it could become quite socially awkward inadvertently for him).

Yeah I agree with this. The kindest thing is to give him a head's up to prevent future embarrassment in front of what could be a worse audience (a client, a prospective employer, a love interest etc.)

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:14 - Feb 5 with 1540 viewsEdwardStone

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 15:18 - Feb 5 by WeWereZombies

Just the one r in that Gary btw, not that it would stop YouTube from suggesting some tracks by Rolf Harris if you had also searched for Garry Glitter...

Bonus question - How is Ann Widdecombe connected to Gary Glitter?

Ummmm

Gary Glitter is her lovechild?
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:20 - Feb 5 with 1530 viewsSwansea_Blue

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 16:42 - Feb 5 by JakeITFC

Yeah, it would be handy to know before he tries to impress a young woman with his music taste on a first date 🙈

Best he should know the facts, and then he can make his own decision [which I find is a pretty good rule of thumb for most things].

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:22 - Feb 5 with 1525 viewsMattinLondon

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 17:47 - Feb 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yeah I agree with this. The kindest thing is to give him a head's up to prevent future embarrassment in front of what could be a worse audience (a client, a prospective employer, a love interest etc.)

He actually rung me on some work related issue and in conversation I told him that the lead singer is currently in jail for thirty or so years - he didn’t ask what for but guessed that it must be for something very serious.
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:25 - Feb 5 with 1519 viewsLesta_Tractor

I'm still torn on the lostprophets, obviously disgusted by the actions of the lead singer but some of their songs remibd me of cracking Monday nights at Zest

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 19:20 - Feb 5 with 1460 viewsMattinLondon

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:25 - Feb 5 by Lesta_Tractor

I'm still torn on the lostprophets, obviously disgusted by the actions of the lead singer but some of their songs remibd me of cracking Monday nights at Zest

Monday’s at Hollywoods was a great night out - what is the building used for now?
Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 19:23 - Feb 5 with 1457 viewsWeWereZombies

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 18:14 - Feb 5 by EdwardStone

Ummmm

Gary Glitter is her lovechild?

Not quite, Ann Widdecombe had a part as herself in a much derided TV drama called 'The Execution of Gary Glitter'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Advice needed from the TWTD hive mind. on 19:37 - Feb 5 with 1431 viewstextbackup

not even a question is it..... just say "ah mate the leader singer is a massive nonce" and leave it there.....

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024