Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May 18:53 - Feb 5 with 1267 viewsDubtractor

That is possibly the dumbest decision they have made for a while.

Surely you just roll the entire local government election schedule back a year?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:00 - Feb 5 with 1234 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yeah but the vaccine bounce.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:14 - Feb 5 with 1204 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Didn't they do that last year?
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:24 - Feb 5 with 1180 viewsDubtractor

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:14 - Feb 5 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Didn't they do that last year?

Just looking and looks like some were postponed actually, but not the county council ones that I was thinking of.

Point still stands though, seems bonkers to not just roll back another year.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:26 - Feb 5 with 1168 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:24 - Feb 5 by Dubtractor

Just looking and looks like some were postponed actually, but not the county council ones that I was thinking of.

Point still stands though, seems bonkers to not just roll back another year.

I agree with you, but I guess that could mean some councillors hold their positions for two years longer than they were elected for.
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:50 - Feb 5 with 1133 viewsClapham_Junction

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:26 - Feb 5 by Timefliesbyintheblue

I agree with you, but I guess that could mean some councillors hold their positions for two years longer than they were elected for.

I don't think that's really a major issue during a crisis situation.

The main problem is that by-elections haven't been able to take place to fill vacant seats, or a small number of cases where councillors were elected to parliament in December 2019 and haven't been able to step down yet.
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 19:56 - Feb 5 with 1115 viewsLord_Lucan

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 20:46 - Feb 5 with 1053 viewsstonojnr

countries that dont hold elections for multiple years often get called rude names round here, so Im surprised people are in favour of more disenfranchisment of voters given lots of last years elections were also "just put back a year"

so whats the issue?

you know who you are going to vote for now, you could fill in your ballot paper today if you wanted, so its not a problem that there will be less people knocking on doors, yeah like in local elections partys do lots of that anyway, and they arent prevented from sending leaflets out.

visiting the polling station in person, well one you can adopt a postal vote if it concerns you that much, or two, well we all go into various essential shops & supermarkets and are wandering around quite happily around other people, not having issues about how safe it really is, why would a polling station be any different, wear a mask if we have to,stay socially distant, take or use sanitiser provided, and take your own pencil to draw the x, maybe pick a different time than lunchtime to vote, Ive voted in every election for the past 3 decades, never once have I ever encountered a crowd of people at a polling station.

the people who look after the polling stations will be given additional guidance and help, the government has promised to give more money to councils to support it, the counts will be more socially distant and no doubt take longer and theyll have to stop licking their fingers to file the ballots.

but its totally achievable, given the way weve adapted to all manner of different things this past year, why is it going to be any different or harder to hold an election under this setup.

its the right thing to do imo, elections need to be held, councillors need to be accountable, so take part, or ultimately just do what roughly 2/3rds of registered voters do for local elections anyway and stay at home and do nothing.
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 20:57 - Feb 5 with 1033 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 20:46 - Feb 5 by stonojnr

countries that dont hold elections for multiple years often get called rude names round here, so Im surprised people are in favour of more disenfranchisment of voters given lots of last years elections were also "just put back a year"

so whats the issue?

you know who you are going to vote for now, you could fill in your ballot paper today if you wanted, so its not a problem that there will be less people knocking on doors, yeah like in local elections partys do lots of that anyway, and they arent prevented from sending leaflets out.

visiting the polling station in person, well one you can adopt a postal vote if it concerns you that much, or two, well we all go into various essential shops & supermarkets and are wandering around quite happily around other people, not having issues about how safe it really is, why would a polling station be any different, wear a mask if we have to,stay socially distant, take or use sanitiser provided, and take your own pencil to draw the x, maybe pick a different time than lunchtime to vote, Ive voted in every election for the past 3 decades, never once have I ever encountered a crowd of people at a polling station.

the people who look after the polling stations will be given additional guidance and help, the government has promised to give more money to councils to support it, the counts will be more socially distant and no doubt take longer and theyll have to stop licking their fingers to file the ballots.

but its totally achievable, given the way weve adapted to all manner of different things this past year, why is it going to be any different or harder to hold an election under this setup.

its the right thing to do imo, elections need to be held, councillors need to be accountable, so take part, or ultimately just do what roughly 2/3rds of registered voters do for local elections anyway and stay at home and do nothing.

I do tend to agree. I believe that most are elected for three years, so to postpone means it could turn into five. In my area very little if any change would result, but at least those of us that vote could have our say.
Login to get fewer ads

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 22:46 - Feb 5 with 977 viewstractordownsouth

I think if the US can do a presidential election we can do council elections - if we hadn't put them back last year there may be an argument for postponing them a year, but don't think it's viable to give some councillors a 6 year term.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 23:05 - Feb 5 with 960 viewsClapham_Junction

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 20:46 - Feb 5 by stonojnr

so whats the issue?

We could in theory do 100% postal vote elections. It has been done in a few situations in various places. Australia held a sort-of referendum entirely by mail and it had a turnout of 80% and apparently five states in the US have their elections almost entirely by mail-in ballots.

Also didn't realise but apparently in Switzerland everyone is mailed their ballot paper and either post it back or vote in person using it, with around 90% opting for the postal option.
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:27 - Feb 6 with 850 viewsMonkeyAlan

Vote by post? Or don't bother, maybe?!. It's only local nonsense anyway. Not worth bothering about.
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:32 - Feb 6 with 843 viewsTractorWood

Don't care who collects my bin.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:38 - Feb 6 with 832 views26_Paz

Imagine, just for a second, if it were proposed to delay the US Presidential election. Just imagine the reaction on here ...
It was right that that went ahead and it’s right these council elections go ahead. As others have said they can be done safely and anyone who is that concerned can do a postal vote

The Paz Man

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:38 - Feb 6 with 832 viewsBlueForYou

Why is it dumb? We'll be out of lockdown, most will have been vaccinated, & local elections rarely have a turnout over 40%. No problem surely?
So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:47 - Feb 6 with 820 viewsDubtractor

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:38 - Feb 6 by 26_Paz

Imagine, just for a second, if it were proposed to delay the US Presidential election. Just imagine the reaction on here ...
It was right that that went ahead and it’s right these council elections go ahead. As others have said they can be done safely and anyone who is that concerned can do a postal vote

To be fair, the implications and impacts of local government elections are not really comparable to those of the US presidential election, or indeed a general election here.

The context of what the election is for is important here.

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me - even if we just push it back 6 months it would make sense. Most people still won't have been vaccinated by May, and the whole exercise will be a logistical nightmare.

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:52 - Feb 6 with 811 views26_Paz

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:47 - Feb 6 by Dubtractor

To be fair, the implications and impacts of local government elections are not really comparable to those of the US presidential election, or indeed a general election here.

The context of what the election is for is important here.

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me - even if we just push it back 6 months it would make sense. Most people still won't have been vaccinated by May, and the whole exercise will be a logistical nightmare.

I get it’s not as important. As others have said though it has already been put back ... I don’t want to sound dramatic about a few council elections but ongoing delay of elections is not good for democracy ...

The Paz Man

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 12:47 - Feb 6 with 760 viewsClapham_Junction

So government has decided that local elections should go ahead in May on 09:38 - Feb 6 by 26_Paz

They could have delayed the election, but Trump's term would still have ended in January as it is determined by the constitution.

If there had been no elections, the presidency, vice-presidency and all seats in the House of Representatives would have been vacant. The only remaining national legislators would have been the Senators whose seats were not up for election in 2020, and whoever was president of the Senate would have become president.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024