Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kenlock 20:38 - Feb 6 with 3831 viewsnshearman1

I believe it was Kenlock today who unlocked Judge and sent him and us on the way to our win. He's been playing really well for several games now, but he's a classic example of a younger player given a huge amount of stick on here when he's been struggling. We really should lay off these younger guys, because ultimately the reason why they're not playing well is down to the Manager. I recall Herb referring to him in damning terms as 'not a professional player'.Well, he's not the greatest player in the world but recently he's been a distinct improvement on the vastly more experienced Ward. Not bad for an amateur.
Kenlock on 20:45 - Feb 6 with 3315 viewsHerbivore

Two good games, very happy for him. Quit obsessing, Nick.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Kenlock on 20:47 - Feb 6 with 3309 viewsMaySixth

Played well barring one terrible pass

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Kenlock on 00:16 - Feb 7 with 3040 viewsbilllm

I've pretty much slated him, I'm bad, he's a revelation, keep it up,
Kenlock on 00:19 - Feb 7 with 3012 viewsWallingford_Boy

I'm sure Herbie didn't mean it really, we are frustrated folk atm!

But yes, great to see him playing well, Ward and Chambers needed "resting" and, although its only one game, Matheson and Kenlock look much more positive and energetic (as you'd expect).

As they say, if they are good enough, they are old enough.

RIP Sir Bobby

Kenlock on 00:33 - Feb 7 with 2999 viewschrismakin

Kenlock on 00:19 - Feb 7 by Wallingford_Boy

But yes, great to see him playing well, Ward and Chambers needed "resting" and, although its only one game, Matheson and Kenlock look much more positive and energetic (as you'd expect).

The only thing stopping Kenlock being a higher league fullback is his defending, it's woeful, he's last two appearances he's had freedom to venture forwards and he's looked good, but he's still leaving far to many gaps at the back and he still hasn't learnt how to position himself against a diag ball.

There's a player in there, I just think he is one of those you need to give a long run too but appreciate he has his limits

In our squad, he is the best choice for left back.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Kenlock on 00:53 - Feb 7 with 2971 viewsSpruceMoose

Kenlock on 00:33 - Feb 7 by chrismakin

The only thing stopping Kenlock being a higher league fullback is his defending, it's woeful, he's last two appearances he's had freedom to venture forwards and he's looked good, but he's still leaving far to many gaps at the back and he still hasn't learnt how to position himself against a diag ball.

There's a player in there, I just think he is one of those you need to give a long run too but appreciate he has his limits

That and the fact he's not very quick.

And historically, he's not been very good.

Hopefully something has clicked for him now though.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 0:57]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Kenlock on 00:58 - Feb 7 with 2964 viewschrismakin

Kenlock on 00:53 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

You don't need to be quick, you just need to have a solid start position, something he struggles with, he's always a good 3 yards off a diag ball or a clip over the top, he's body shape is awful when not on the ball.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Kenlock on 01:03 - Feb 7 with 2958 viewsMrTown

I think he may have taken some flack, can’t remember exactly when (think after MK Dons). Has never been able to lay down a marker when he has been given rare opportunities mind you.

This time he gets his opportunity and he has performed to a really high standard at this level. A significant upgrade when in this form. As with everything to do with ITFC it seems, can he be overall consistent... I hope so, because in this form, he’s a good left back at this level.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 1:05]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Kenlock on 01:03 - Feb 7 with 2955 viewsSpruceMoose

Kenlock on 00:58 - Feb 7 by chrismakin

You don't need to be quick, you just need to have a solid start position, something he struggles with, he's always a good 3 yards off a diag ball or a clip over the top, he's body shape is awful when not on the ball.

I'm confused by what you mean by 'higher league'? If you mean the Championship then he had a crack at that and wasn't very good. That's not to say he couldn't play there regularly in a mid tier side in the future. If you mean the Premier League then he 100% needs to be quick and he's 100% not good enough.

I think he could be a perfectly serviceable League One defensive full back. Probably his limit though.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 1:05]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Kenlock on 01:09 - Feb 7 with 2937 viewsMrTown

I think he’s a solid defender. Made an outstanding goal saving block v Crewe last week.

Offers energy down the left side, a sound option for full back for a top 6 side in L1 in this form.

He sometimes look a bit unorthodox with his approach, but his output in the last 2 games has been very good.

Kenlock on 01:23 - Feb 7 with 2922 viewsStNeotsBlue

Kenlock on 00:53 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

I think you are being overly harsh, he's never had a shocker but equally never been a 9 out of 10. He's been unfortunate since we've in League 1, he was a better fit at LB than Garbutt last season and Ward is knocking on.
Not sure about your he's not quick comment, he has an unusual and strange running style but he isn't slow.
Kenlock on 01:37 - Feb 7 with 2903 viewsMrTown

Kenlock on 01:23 - Feb 7 by StNeotsBlue

I think you are being overly harsh, he's never had a shocker but equally never been a 9 out of 10. He's been unfortunate since we've in League 1, he was a better fit at LB than Garbutt last season and Ward is knocking on.
Not sure about your he's not quick comment, he has an unusual and strange running style but he isn't slow.

At this level, playing in this form, he is comfortably a top 6 left back. Has to be consistent and do it week in week out etc (with the odd blip of course).

He defends fine, he is quick enough at this level, he’s a good size, physically very strong, got really good energy.

Upgrade on Ward.

Kenlock on 02:52 - Feb 7 with 2851 viewsBonchosBicycle

Kenlock has impressed me at times and at others left me cold - like many of our players. I think he's a confidence player and when he feels good and is pushing forward he makes a difference. I'm more confident in Ward in a general, solid way but don't expect he might actually do anything very exciting and I think Miles has done enough to keep the right back spot for now.
Kenlock on 02:55 - Feb 7 with 2845 viewsSpruceMoose

Kenlock on 01:37 - Feb 7 by MrTown

At this level, playing in this form, he is comfortably a top 6 left back. Has to be consistent and do it week in week out etc (with the odd blip of course).

He defends fine, he is quick enough at this level, he’s a good size, physically very strong, got really good energy.

Upgrade on Ward.

I'm not sure one game counts as 'form'. I'd love for him to keep it up though.

Kenlock on 06:25 - Feb 7 with 2751 viewsurbanblue

Kenlock on 02:55 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

I'm not sure one game counts as 'form'. I'd love for him to keep it up though.

I know you didn't see the game yesterday. He played very well and has done the last couple of games. It's almost like he's suddenly 'grown up'.

I also don't think some realise how hard it is to play well when no one else is!
Kenlock on 08:01 - Feb 7 with 2597 viewsHerbivore

Kenlock on 01:23 - Feb 7 by StNeotsBlue

He's had plenty of shockers, hence being unable to really nail down a starting spot here despite being given lots of opportunities. There have been lots of games where he's been incredibly sloppy in possession and caught out of position frequently. He's not a kid anymore, he's 24 and needs to be playing regular football if he's going to have a decent career at any kind of level. Pleased that he's now had back to back good games coming back into the side, but he now absolutely has to sustain that over a run of games and try to nail down being first choice left back here. I hope he manages to do that, it's nice to see our youngsters playing regularly and playing well.

Kenlock on 08:48 - Feb 7 with 2492 viewsSteve_M

Hmmm, he gave the ball away immediately beforehand with a very loose pass, then got lucky when Blackpool gave it away in turn. Good ball to Judge after that though.

He’s been decent in the last two games though, added some energy to that flank and not too many defensive lapses. At one point under MM he looked to have established himself as a championship squad player but then had a couple of poorer years amidst the general mess here.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 14:12]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Kenlock on 13:44 - Feb 7 with 2286 viewsSpruceMoose

Kenlock on 06:25 - Feb 7 by urbanblue

I know you didn't see the game yesterday. He played very well and has done the last couple of games. It's almost like he's suddenly 'grown up'.

I also don't think some realise how hard it is to play well when no one else is!

That's a fair enough point. Like I said, I genuinely do hope something has clicked for him.

Kenlock on 13:46 - Feb 7 with 2280 viewsStokieBlue

Kenlock on 00:19 - Feb 7 by Wallingford_Boy

"As they say, if they are good enough, they are old enough."

Kenlock is 24 years old.

He's certainly played better the last two games though, hopefully it will continue.

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 13:47]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Kenlock on 13:54 - Feb 7 with 2251 viewsclive_baker

Vital interception from McGuinness before that too as Blackpool had men making runs for that ball from Kaikai. Thought he should’ve done better with that pass to be fair, but good interception from McGuiness, nice ball from Kenny and great run & finish from Judge. Got the ball forward far more quickly and incisively. Hopefully we can use it as a springboard to kick on, rather than another false dawn. We’ve put ourselves in a terrible league position if we’re honest, a huge amount of work to do to salvage this season from being anything other than utter failure yet again.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kenlock on 23:43 - Feb 7 with 2086 viewschrismakin

Kenlock on 13:54 - Feb 7 by clive_baker

Vital interception from McGuinness before that too as Blackpool had men making runs for that ball from Kaikai. Thought he should’ve done better with that pass to be fair, but good interception from McGuiness, nice ball from Kenny and great run & finish from Judge. Got the ball forward far more quickly and incisively. Hopefully we can use it as a springboard to kick on, rather than another false dawn. We’ve put ourselves in a terrible league position if we’re honest, a huge amount of work to do to salvage this season from being anything other than utter failure yet again.

Prime example of why we shouldn't get too excited about yesturday

That ball from Kaikai was awful, that's the ball that weekly gets past us, and again we left a load of space behind Mcguiness for blackpool to aim for, exactly why we can't get too carried away yet, how would we have done HAD that ball got through and Blackpool scored from it........ that's the key

Kenlock on 08:23 - Feb 8 with 1937 viewsMetal_Hacker

If he's got plenty of time he's great , put him under pressure , different story

Poll: If it were one or the other

Kenlock on 08:32 - Feb 8 with 1922 viewsjayessess

These are classic traits that improve with experience, aren't they?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kenlock on 08:51 - Feb 8 with 1878 viewsitfc_bucks

Hi Myles!
Kenlock on 08:54 - Feb 8 with 1869 viewsHerbivore

Kenlock on 08:32 - Feb 8 by jayessess

These are classic traits that improve with experience, aren't they?

They should do. The issue with Kenlock is that, prior to these last two more encouraging appearances, he hasn't really shown much sign of improvement since making his debut at 17/18. He's played 70+ games for Town including a couple of sustained runs in the side, he's 24 and can't really be considered a raw rookie anymore. That doesn't mean he can't or won't improve but it needs to start showing and he needs to sustain these better performances.

Having now seen the highlights from the game at the weekend, one Blackpool chance in the first half came from a misplaced Kenlock pass inside his own half and immediately prior to us scoring they really ought to have been in on goal in Kenlock's channel with him caught high up the pitch but for a poor pass allowing McGuiness to intercept. Great that he got the assist for Judge, but we were a straightforward pass away from possibly going 1-0 down seconds before. There's still lots for him to work on but hopefully this time if he gets more of a run of games he'll show more improvement and start to nail down a place in the side.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024