Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Set up an office in Europe” 02:57 - Feb 7 with 2951 viewsNewcyBlue

“To make trade easier” a British business is told by the government in the wake of Brexit woes.

Brexit leaves a bitter taste and a mountain of clothes https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55858598

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 03:08 - Feb 7 with 2222 viewsRyorry

Hope you also sent the link to @BorisJohnson, @RishiSunak & @GregHands

#Brexsh1t

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

“Set up an office in Europe” on 03:49 - Feb 7 with 2190 viewsSpruceMoose

Maybe you've noticed this Newcy as you're someone who spends a lot of time overseas. Have you noticed a significant difference between how many British people see the United Kingdom and how people from elsewhere might see the United Kingdom?

Just something I've been thinking about today after an American friend made a comment about Brexit.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 3:55]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

“Set up an office in Europe” on 04:11 - Feb 7 with 2168 viewsNewcyBlue

“Set up an office in Europe” on 03:49 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

Maybe you've noticed this Newcy as you're someone who spends a lot of time overseas. Have you noticed a significant difference between how many British people see the United Kingdom and how people from elsewhere might see the United Kingdom?

Just something I've been thinking about today after an American friend made a comment about Brexit.

I was on a ship in Mumbai after the Brexit vote.

The pilot, agent, and planner all asked me “What were you guys thinking?!”

Some people tell me that they think Brexit will work out well, other people think we are idiots.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

Some things will work out well. Some will be a clusterfck. There are plenty of idiots out there.

“Set up an office in Europe” on 07:42 - Feb 7 with 2042 viewsallezlesbleus

“Set up an office in Europe” on 03:49 - Feb 7 by SpruceMoose

I'm in France and the vast majority of French thought Brexit was a mad decision for the Brits, although a few were strongly in favour of Frexit.

Now, with the vaccination fiasco over here, there are a lot more disgruntled French who blame the EU for France being so far behind in the number of vaccinations.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 08:06 - Feb 7 with 2000 viewsWeWereZombies

It's not just beer, it is hitting spirits as well:

https://www.whfp.com/2021/01/25/export-process-a-nightmare-post-brexit-say-skye-

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 08:31 - Feb 7 with 1954 viewsChurchman

“Set up an office in Europe” on 04:11 - Feb 7 by NewcyBlue

I was on a ship in Mumbai after the Brexit vote.

The pilot, agent, and planner all asked me “What were you guys thinking?!”

Some people tell me that they think Brexit will work out well, other people think we are idiots.

The reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

Some things will work out well. Some will be a clusterfck. There are plenty of idiots out there.

This is one of the best comments I’ve seen on here re Brexit. The ‘new normal’ is going to look different to the old, especially after five or ten years. Better or worse? Time will tell.

What is interesting is that the EU has chosen a path of hostility. They have every right to impose its rules to the fullest extent. They also have the right to invoke or threaten to Article 16 and accompany it with a threat. Whether this is beneficial to them in the longer term, remains to be seen.

Four years ago, I thought there was a chance that the U.K. and EU would come to an agreement that was beneficial to both. One that fostered common ties and common interests, including trade. That was not to be and both sides will be the poorer for it in my view.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 09:32 - Feb 7 with 1870 viewsWeWereZombies

“Set up an office in Europe” on 08:31 - Feb 7 by Churchman

This is one of the best comments I’ve seen on here re Brexit. The ‘new normal’ is going to look different to the old, especially after five or ten years. Better or worse? Time will tell.

What is interesting is that the EU has chosen a path of hostility. They have every right to impose its rules to the fullest extent. They also have the right to invoke or threaten to Article 16 and accompany it with a threat. Whether this is beneficial to them in the longer term, remains to be seen.

Four years ago, I thought there was a chance that the U.K. and EU would come to an agreement that was beneficial to both. One that fostered common ties and common interests, including trade. That was not to be and both sides will be the poorer for it in my view.

All this is true but you have to remember that there was only one side that set us on this course and it is for everyone who voted Leave to hold their hands up, say that they were wrong and, at the very least, say sorry to the rest of us. We can forgive but we should not forget.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 09:45 - Feb 7 with 1837 viewsPlums

How is imposing the rules that we helped draw up and agree to interpreted as ‘hostility’? It’s just business.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

“Set up an office in Europe” on 09:53 - Feb 7 with 1816 viewsfooters

If you ever thought the UK leaving Europe would've been beneficial for either party, you're an idiot.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 10:22 - Feb 7 with 1764 viewsArnoldMoorhen

"They have every right to impose its rules to the fullest extent."

Umm, no, they have an obligation to impose their rules. They are a rules based organisation. They have a Parliament which makes Law, which they are then bound by, and they won't break international law, or binding treaties, for short term advantage.

This was all known before May triggered the process.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 10:34 - Feb 7 with 1748 viewsBlueBadger

We had an agreement that was beneficial to both. The UK voted to leave that in 2016.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 10:47 - Feb 7 with 1725 viewsBlueBadger

“Set up an office in Europe” on 08:06 - Feb 7 by WeWereZombies

It's not just beer, it is hitting spirits as well:

https://www.whfp.com/2021/01/25/export-process-a-nightmare-post-brexit-say-skye-

The music industry has been proper shafted as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-roadies-face-end-of-the-road-as-br

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

“Set up an office in Europe” on 11:18 - Feb 7 with 1676 viewsNewcyBlue

“Set up an office in Europe” on 10:47 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

The music industry has been proper shafted as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-roadies-face-end-of-the-road-as-br

We are yet to see any benefits of Brexit. I don’t believe our vaccine situation is a benefit of Brexit, the government were desperate for a win as they had made so many mistakes throughout the pandemic. They have been saved by the NHS.

“Set up an office in Europe” on 11:22 - Feb 7 with 1671 viewsghostofescobar

I have two clients, both big fashion businesses, who have suddenly realised that trying to find a way through Brexit is going to be far more difficult and costly that they thought, and they are now urgently setting up their main distribution hubs in the Netherlands. These are big businesses, with one moving £150mill (cost price) of stock to their new hub.

GhostOfEscobar

“Set up an office in Europe” on 11:30 - Feb 7 with 1653 viewseireblue

It will all be fine,.......in ten years or so,......probably, well possibly,....of course being fine doesn’t mean the loss to people and business in that 10 years will necessarily be made up, and when we say fine, we don’t mean better than if we had stayed, but yep just wait ten years.

As an aside, during the Brexit debates I posted that the company I was with had decided to change direction, i.e. rather than having large U.K. HQ, start having more people in the EU. The company I am with does this now. And I am also hearing of US companies not targeting the U.K. as the place to initially setup, but somewhere in the EU.

Still, none of this negative ninny stuff, a bit more boosterism please, and things will be......

fine.......

eventually.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 11:56 - Feb 7 with 1607 viewsRyorry

“Set up an office in Europe” on 11:18 - Feb 7 by NewcyBlue

We are yet to see any benefits of Brexit. I don’t believe our vaccine situation is a benefit of Brexit, the government were desperate for a win as they had made so many mistakes throughout the pandemic. They have been saved by the NHS.

And our need for vaccines wouldn't be so desperate if the govt. hadn't messed up so badly in allowing Covid_19 to run rampant in the UK in the first place, compared with other nations, esp other islands where borders were quickly closed. And we're hearing that the AstraZeneca vaccine has limited success in dealing with the African mutant strain.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2021 11:57]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

“Set up an office in Europe” on 12:07 - Feb 7 with 1577 viewsDurovigutum

“Set up an office in Europe” on 09:53 - Feb 7 by footers

If you ever thought the UK leaving Europe would've been beneficial for either party, you're an idiot.

And yet 51% of the country did....
“Set up an office in Europe” on 12:11 - Feb 7 with 1567 viewsfooters

“Set up an office in Europe” on 12:07 - Feb 7 by Durovigutum

And yet 51% of the country did....

52. And they're idiots as well.

I'm guessing you're one of them. Congratulations.

“Set up an office in Europe” on 12:28 - Feb 7 with 1536 viewsfactual_blue

So brexit ties UK business even more closely to the EU.

Awesome achievement.

#bluepassports

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:16 - Feb 7 with 1498 viewsChurchman

“Set up an office in Europe” on 10:34 - Feb 7 by BlueBadger

We had an agreement that was beneficial to both. The UK voted to leave that in 2016.

I’m aware of that believe it or not. What is done is done and its about the future and there are now choices to be made. Create conditions beneficial to trade for both parties or block it.

The UK has given a grace period on imports from the EU of 6 months, not least to allow adjustment and to stop the supermarket shelves emptying of fruit and veg. The EU did not reciprocate. They of course had that right. They are seeking to enforce rules as hard as they can from everything to a sandwich to NI. Again they have that right. But I fail to see how that benefits the EU other than politically and that won’t, for example, keep all 55,000 people employed at Port of Calais.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:29 - Feb 7 with 1479 viewsLeaky

“Set up an office in Europe” on 12:11 - Feb 7 by footers

52. And they're idiots as well.

I'm guessing you're one of them. Congratulations.

And me
“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:31 - Feb 7 with 1472 viewsfooters

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:29 - Feb 7 by Leaky

And me

Enjoy your blue passport.

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:32 - Feb 7 with 1473 viewseireblue

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:16 - Feb 7 by Churchman

I’m aware of that believe it or not. What is done is done and its about the future and there are now choices to be made. Create conditions beneficial to trade for both parties or block it.

The UK has given a grace period on imports from the EU of 6 months, not least to allow adjustment and to stop the supermarket shelves emptying of fruit and veg. The EU did not reciprocate. They of course had that right. They are seeking to enforce rules as hard as they can from everything to a sandwich to NI. Again they have that right. But I fail to see how that benefits the EU other than politically and that won’t, for example, keep all 55,000 people employed at Port of Calais.

Is it not the case EU have agreed that U.K. companies do not have to complete all the paperwork certifying that their goods are locally made, until 2022.

So there has been some agreements that help the U.K. adjust.

Since there is one concession, not sure that there are not others.

Of course, the U.K. Government chose and negotiated this agreement.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:37 - Feb 7 with 1456 viewsLeaky

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:31 - Feb 7 by footers

Enjoy your blue passport.

Couldn't give a damn what colour it is.
“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:40 - Feb 7 with 1450 viewsfooters

“Set up an office in Europe” on 13:37 - Feb 7 by Leaky

Couldn't give a damn what colour it is.

Could you tell us what it is you're looking forward to now that we're not a member state of the EU?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024