Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bird feeders 09:38 - Feb 8 with 2933 viewsjeera

Sorry to go all a bit hippy or whatever.

But don't forget to top them up this morning.

I did mine earlier and they are packed with hungry birds.

I say birds, about 7 pigeons and one blackbird at present, but [even] they have to eat and do look a bit desperate.

Water too if you can.

Edit: has the added advantage if you get snowed in for a week and run low on food, pigeon is quite versatile...
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 9:40]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Bird feeders on 20:48 - Feb 8 with 335 viewsDubtractor

Bird feeders on 19:36 - Feb 8 by brogansnose

Like I've said, normally get Blue Tits , various Finches , Sparrows and even Thrushes but this year nothing apart from our seemingly resident Blackbirds. Wondering if this is widespread J.

Our garden (Ipswich) still has most of the usual visitors in decent numbers.

Blue/Great/Coal tits abundant, plus semi regular visit from long tails.
Loads of gold finches (think they might have taken over!)
Plus chaffinches, robins, blackbirds, starlings, doves, pigeons, dunnock, wren and magpie in varying numbers.

Also had a couple of visits from a rather large heron that I've had to shoo away from the fish pond!

I've set up my home working office in out back bedroom so get a great view out into the garden to watch all the birds as a distraction from work.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 21:14]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bird feeders on 20:58 - Feb 8 with 331 viewsRyorry

Bird feeders on 10:06 - Feb 8 by Swansea_Blue

I've never lived somewhere with so few birds. We have a feeder but get maybe a few garden birds at most. But more often, just a couple of pigeons. It's a bit weird as I rarely see a cat either, we've no squirrels. We're very close to loads of woodland, so maybe they all happy in their natural habitat (the gardens are quite small and lack cover around us, being newish houses (15-20 yrs old).

You do need decent cover such as large shrubs (esp evergreens) or trees nearby for the small birds to flee into if they spot cats or other predators zooming in at two o'clock. They might feel too vulnerable to attack to use feeders that are completely in the open.

I'm lucky enough to have a large flat shed roof not far from the kitchen windown & a bit below it which is in the corner of 2 ivy-clad high walls + has loadsa tall shrubs & a few trees next to it. Load it up every other day atm with piles of black sunflower seeds, suet pellets, dried mealworms, pinhead oatmeal + 2 suet block feeders, a fatball tower & peanut feeder. Other side of house there's a conventional bird table with roof, another fatball tower & another peanut feeder.

Am rewarded with hordes of small & large birds - all the usual tits, blackbirds, finches, house sparrows, dunnocks & a female large spotted woodpecker (had a male last winter), as well as the occasional magpie, crow, hooded crow, jackdaw etc. Last winter had a very rare visitor - a snow bunting (pretty sure as a neighbour 1/2 mile away saw it too). Also get loadsa cr@p on all nearby surfaces 😂

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Bird feeders on 20:58 - Feb 8 with 330 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 20:48 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

Our garden (Ipswich) still has most of the usual visitors in decent numbers.

Blue/Great/Coal tits abundant, plus semi regular visit from long tails.
Loads of gold finches (think they might have taken over!)
Plus chaffinches, robins, blackbirds, starlings, doves, pigeons, dunnock, wren and magpie in varying numbers.

Also had a couple of visits from a rather large heron that I've had to shoo away from the fish pond!

I've set up my home working office in out back bedroom so get a great view out into the garden to watch all the birds as a distraction from work.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 21:14]

I'll swap you some of those finches for a particularly unpleasant crow and a couple of gulls.

Bird feeders on 21:14 - Feb 8 with 321 viewsDubtractor

Bird feeders on 20:58 - Feb 8 by jeera

I'll swap you some of those finches for a particularly unpleasant crow and a couple of gulls.

Hmmmm. No.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Bird feeders on 21:28 - Feb 8 with 308 viewsjeera

Bird feeders on 21:14 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

Hmmmm. No.

There's a pair of gulls knocking about locally somewhere and they make the odd appearance here and there.

Each time they swoop down and I see them up close I'm still surprised at how fecking big they are.

Sometimes one of them will land on top of the feeder and the whole contraption sways back and forth. I go out and yell at them and they momentarily look at me like they fancy their chances and tbh, sometimes I'm not confident either.

I mean, it's bad enough when a crow lands on there, aggressively grabbing the feeders and shaking them about, but when a gull arrives it just looks so out of place. A real intrusion by some monstrosity on what supposed to be a nice little haven for pretty little birds.

Bird feeders on 07:44 - Feb 9 with 255 viewsWarkystache

Just fed mine. Dried mealworms, bird mix for the feeders, peanuts, niger seed, oat flakes and some suet fat balls and half-coconuts filled with fat for the blue tits.

I've got:

Black woodpeckers
Robins
Blue Tits
Great Tits
Blackbirds
Long Tailed tits
Dunnocks
Sparrows
Chaffinches
Bullfinches
Ring Doves
Wood Pigeons
Coal Tits

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Bird feeders on 08:00 - Feb 9 with 246 viewsdickie

We've got Blackbirds and Robins nesting in the garden at the moment. Regularly get blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, robins, blackbirds, dunnocks, goldfinches, wood pigeons, magpies etc. Strangely we never get sparrows or starlings in our garden despite seeing them in the hedgerows and on wires in our street.

I just went out and put some dried fruit, nut butter on soaked bread and a handful of seeds in a patch of cleared snow on the grass for the ground feeders. Poor blackbirds have been looking sad!
Bird feeders on 08:16 - Feb 9 with 239 viewsLeaky

Bird feeders on 09:59 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've lived in London for more than 10 years and never seen a rat on a bird feeder.

Probably earning a living in Canary Warf
Login to get fewer ads

Bird feeders on 08:34 - Feb 9 with 232 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 20:29 - Feb 8 by brogansnose

...........and the Wagtails ? Go on,admit it, you're putting out 'posh bird food.'

A couple of years ago I was working in North Finchley and was surprised by the amount of Parakeets flying around, bloody noisy too.

Funnily enough, I've not seen them since I got the posher sunflower hearts. They seem to like the cheapo everyday bird seed mix.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Bird feeders on 08:35 - Feb 9 with 232 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Bird feeders on 20:26 - Feb 8 by jeera

Well that's where they've all gone then - riddle solved.

They're all in Penge!

*couldn't help it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024