Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff 18:07 - Feb 8 with 2278 viewsCrawfordsboot

I am astounded that there is not more of a deluge of demands for the scrapping of the provisions relating to Queens Consent.

Also why should the royal family and their hangers on benefit hugely from the construction of offshore wind farms.

I appreciate that the Royal Family provide something of a comfort blanket for quite a few folk but their position should be limited to the ceremonial. I could accept that - particularly if next up they skip a generation to save us from old plant whisperer.

Where do we stand?
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:15 - Feb 8 with 1510 viewsDurovigutum

We need proper governance, with a democratic second chamber preferably with a completely different political modus operandi than the commons (eg no Labour/Conservative party, new parties unique in each chamber).

I don't think a president helps anymore, too much power bound in one individual - so with a new chamber leave Queenie in as the ceremonial Head of State.
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:34 - Feb 8 with 1479 viewsbluelagos

You know my views on the royals!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:46 - Feb 8 with 1462 viewsCrawfordsboot

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:15 - Feb 8 by Durovigutum

We need proper governance, with a democratic second chamber preferably with a completely different political modus operandi than the commons (eg no Labour/Conservative party, new parties unique in each chamber).

I don't think a president helps anymore, too much power bound in one individual - so with a new chamber leave Queenie in as the ceremonial Head of State.

Agreed - but only if the surrounding hangers on are cut back hugely.
The class divisions in the UK are still very real. They are the product of, and follow naturally from, the Royal Court and the layers that stem therefrom, through the military and the church. After Liz it could all implode very quickly.
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:47 - Feb 8 with 1459 viewsCrawfordsboot

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:34 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

Certainly do - but go on remind me 😉
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:52 - Feb 8 with 1445 viewsKeno

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:34 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

Did they ruin your wedding?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:53 - Feb 8 with 1446 viewsTractorWood

It's interesting. It's the first evidence(that I know of) that queen has really stuck exerted influence to stop something potentially detrimental coming out on her finances.

Disband the royals is my opinion. They are a conceptual farce. Have no place in a democracy. I think there will be massive pressure on Charles to expedite change. Liz is mostly adored, even begrudgingly by some. Charles is either disliked or at best tolerated.

Those who say they bring in tourism, so does Harry Potter world, but we don't propose that to be head of state.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 18:56]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:56 - Feb 8 with 1435 viewsbluelagos

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:47 - Feb 8 by Crawfordsboot

Certainly do - but go on remind me 😉

I believe in meritocracy, not hereditary power.

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:58 - Feb 8 with 1424 viewsbluelagos

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:52 - Feb 8 by Keno

Did they ruin your wedding?

Nah, was more selective on who I invited.

Login to get fewer ads

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:00 - Feb 8 with 1423 viewsHerbivore

The fact we still have a monarchy pervades the English consciousness and creates a subconscious impression that some are born to rule. It's how we end up with feckless tw@ts like Boris Johnson as PM on the basis of nothing more than an Oxbridge education (a fairly average one by all accounts) and a plummy accent.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:04 - Feb 8 with 1405 viewsKievthegreat

With these archaic rules I'm always interested in breaking points. By convention, if the Queen (and Charles in relation to the Duchy of Cornwall) was advised by the government to sell the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall (not Crown Estate as it is not private property) to the state for £1, they'd be duty bound to agree.

Would they though? If they refused or changed government they'd not be ceremonial, similarly if they are ceremonial, they accept that the government can legally take all their possession back into public hands at any moment.
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:07 - Feb 8 with 1394 viewsKievthegreat

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:53 - Feb 8 by TractorWood

It's interesting. It's the first evidence(that I know of) that queen has really stuck exerted influence to stop something potentially detrimental coming out on her finances.

Disband the royals is my opinion. They are a conceptual farce. Have no place in a democracy. I think there will be massive pressure on Charles to expedite change. Liz is mostly adored, even begrudgingly by some. Charles is either disliked or at best tolerated.

Those who say they bring in tourism, so does Harry Potter world, but we don't propose that to be head of state.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 18:56]

France is the biggest tourist destination in the world. Trying to remember what happened to their monarchs?
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:13 - Feb 8 with 1370 viewsbluelagos

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:07 - Feb 8 by Kievthegreat

France is the biggest tourist destination in the world. Trying to remember what happened to their monarchs?

And I believe Versailles has rather more paying visitors that Buckingham Palace.

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:17 - Feb 8 with 1361 viewsTractorWood

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:13 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

And I believe Versailles has rather more paying visitors that Buckingham Palace.

The Ride London finishes on the mall. Great to sprint down there and throw your bike against a railing for a picture having cruised round 100 miles of closed roads.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 22:17 - Feb 8 with 1278 viewsRadlett_blue

The unwillingness of the political establishment - and most of the media - to demand greater scrutiny over royal finances is one of the greater scandals of modern times. They have done umpteen tax avoidance deals that protect their vast personal wealth but for some reason they seem exempt from criticism. This is coupled with a huge reluctance ever to spend any of this wealth & instead rely on the taxpayer to pick up the bill. This makes it even more annoying when the nonsensical statement that the Queen only cost the taxpayer £67m last year comes out, which conveniently ignores all the vast tax dodging plus the grey areas of which assets belong to the State & which to the Queen in her personal capacity.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 22:21 - Feb 8 with 1267 viewsSwansea_Blue

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 18:56 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

I believe in meritocracy, not hereditary power.

I don’t know what’s worse; that she has the power or fails to exercise it. She can’t be happy with the law breaking PM we have but is happy to wave through his cronyism (like the dodgy honours).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 22:25 - Feb 8 with 1256 viewsRadlett_blue

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:00 - Feb 8 by Herbivore

The fact we still have a monarchy pervades the English consciousness and creates a subconscious impression that some are born to rule. It's how we end up with feckless tw@ts like Boris Johnson as PM on the basis of nothing more than an Oxbridge education (a fairly average one by all accounts) and a plummy accent.

Indeed. Ignoring the financial aspect (which is the subject of much misinformation by royalists) the bigger issue is the Queen is head of the establishment, which continues the corrupt honours system & helps sustain the idea that those with ancient feudal titles such as "Lord" & "Sir" should be subject to deference from the public.
The whole ghastly charade of these titles & medals being bestowed by a royal helps suck otherwise sane people into the establishment because unfortunately a large number of people seem to love these silly titles.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 22:27 - Feb 8 with 1252 viewsmonytowbray

The Royals don’t know much about consent I’m afraid, ask Prince Andrew...

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 22:31 - Feb 8 with 1245 viewsmonytowbray

Get shot of the monarchy and all property goes to the public, we’ll make Buckingham Palace a museum to laugh at the olden days concept of power and/or something for the Queen Shaggers to enjoy.

TWTD never forgets…

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:14 - Feb 8 with 1210 viewseireblue

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 19:13 - Feb 8 by bluelagos

Pharaohs died out a while back, I still think the Pyramids are quite popular.
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:29 - Feb 8 with 1192 viewsmonytowbray

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:14 - Feb 8 by eireblue

Pharaohs died out a while back, I still think the Pyramids are quite popular.

I say this every time. If every visitor got a meet and greet I’d say maybe tourism is a point, but people flock just to look at her giant and secured council house when she’s not even home.

TWTD never forgets…

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:34 - Feb 8 with 1190 viewsronnyd

I have a grudging respect for Queenie and Phil the Greek, for the work, (gadding about) that they have done over the years. Also Charlie, as he is an amusing old duffer. As for the rest, just guillotine them. I'm sure that Macron would lend us one.
Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:35 - Feb 8 with 1189 viewsdominiciawful

Lambert out, Royals out.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:54 - Feb 8 with 1165 viewsDarth_Koont

Once the Queen goes, I think they should be slowly squeezed out of public life. For our sake but mainly their own as it doesn’t seem that healthy for them.

Each generation of royals has been more and more independent and less and less interested in or suited to being a head of state. I think it’s time to recognise that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 00:16 - Feb 9 with 1151 viewsRyorry

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 23:34 - Feb 8 by ronnyd

I have a grudging respect for Queenie and Phil the Greek, for the work, (gadding about) that they have done over the years. Also Charlie, as he is an amusing old duffer. As for the rest, just guillotine them. I'm sure that Macron would lend us one.

Charles is so undervalued & under-rated -

1. Flagged up serious environmental problems ahead 50 years before anyone else except Rachel Carson, and got sniggered at for his awareness. Thankfully he gets greater respect now & is influential in changing things for the better in this respect amongst those who wield power & actually make decisions.

2. Set up his Princes Trust, which has helped tens of thousands of young people & which has added to his hero status amongst many in that age group

3. Gets his hands mucky doing a lot of the actual farming himself on his estate, his tenants describe him as an ace landlord + he looks after them & all his workers properly.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 01:09 - Feb 9 with 1120 viewsmonytowbray

Where do TWTDers stand on the Queens Consent and associate stuff on 00:16 - Feb 9 by Ryorry

Charles is so undervalued & under-rated -

1. Flagged up serious environmental problems ahead 50 years before anyone else except Rachel Carson, and got sniggered at for his awareness. Thankfully he gets greater respect now & is influential in changing things for the better in this respect amongst those who wield power & actually make decisions.

2. Set up his Princes Trust, which has helped tens of thousands of young people & which has added to his hero status amongst many in that age group

3. Gets his hands mucky doing a lot of the actual farming himself on his estate, his tenants describe him as an ace landlord + he looks after them & all his workers properly.

So he had a load of money and profile and used that to do some stuff.

So did Jimmy Savile*.

Not really as big a deal as it seems. Certainly not a reason to justify a monarchy.

*Savile mentioned intentionally.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024