Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abysmal 22:24 - Feb 9 with 3385 viewsSomethingBlue

Before the game I was willing to regard it as, if not exactly a clean slate, then a chance to get a good result with a fit & freshened-up squad and give ourselves a pathway to salvaging the season regardless of who is or isn't manager.

Didn't happen, did it (though after the half-hour I could only half-watch so correct me if I missed anything). No point raking over it all; yes Posh knew the pitch but we were completely outplayed after the first 20 minutes and so the familiar cycle begins yet again.

Lambert not doing the media has infuriated me. I usually have a pretty thick skin for this stuff. But this is the worst Ipswich team of our lives, the worst situation the club has ever been in, and to duck the local media week in, week out is utterly abysmal behaviour. Insulting and uncalled for. Disrespecting the community and town he set such great stock in early on. Everyone should be disgusted.

What the hell are he, Evans and the club thinking? It just gets worse and worse, to the extent I'm pretty much beyond words.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Abysmal on 22:26 - Feb 9 with 3115 viewsDanTheMan

"What the hell are he, Evans and the club thinking? It just gets worse and worse, to the extent I'm pretty much beyond words."

This is where I am, and I can't quite decide between everyone collectively losing their minds or they've just stopped caring because they're petulant children.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Abysmal on 22:27 - Feb 9 with 3099 viewstractorboy1978

I put this on another thread but it's a totalitarian regime in football club format.
Abysmal on 22:29 - Feb 9 with 3074 viewsSomethingBlue

Abysmal on 22:26 - Feb 9 by DanTheMan

"What the hell are he, Evans and the club thinking? It just gets worse and worse, to the extent I'm pretty much beyond words."

This is where I am, and I can't quite decide between everyone collectively losing their minds or they've just stopped caring because they're petulant children.

It's astonishing and very very sad. And in a place like Ipswich where the bond between town and club means so much, it is causing an incomprehensible amount of utterly needless damage.

Abysmal on 22:31 - Feb 9 with 3030 viewsitfcjoe

Abysmal on 22:29 - Feb 9 by SomethingBlue

It's astonishing and very very sad. And in a place like Ipswich where the bond between town and club means so much, it is causing an incomprehensible amount of utterly needless damage.

He's not even phoning it in any more, he's given up and is a=waiting to be sacked

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Abysmal on 22:32 - Feb 9 with 3004 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He must be on the 11th or 12th of his 9 lives by now.

But never mind, give him time, he will turn this around won't he?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Abysmal on 22:32 - Feb 9 with 3004 viewsSomethingBlue

Abysmal on 22:31 - Feb 9 by itfcjoe

He's not even phoning it in any more, he's given up and is a=waiting to be sacked

He has to go, this just isn't sustainable on any level and the harm it's causing is gigantic.

Abysmal on 22:33 - Feb 9 with 2984 viewsSpruceMoose

Imagine mismanaging your investment so badly that you've gone from the cusp of the most lucrative football league in the world to glib acceptance of plummeting down the table of the third tier in English football.

Clueless.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Abysmal on 22:35 - Feb 9 with 2948 viewsMelford

I hope The Guardian let you do a big old piece about Ipswich he same way Louise Taylor has about the wrongs going on in the North East.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Abysmal on 22:36 - Feb 9 with 2896 viewsBluefish

Abysmal on 22:35 - Feb 9 by Melford

I hope The Guardian let you do a big old piece about Ipswich he same way Louise Taylor has about the wrongs going on in the North East.

I'm available for an interview

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Abysmal on 22:37 - Feb 9 with 2921 viewsSomethingBlue

Abysmal on 22:35 - Feb 9 by Melford

Did one, albeit not comprehensive, a couple of months ago — suspect it'll be a while before the next one gets through sadly!

Abysmal on 22:38 - Feb 9 with 2876 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Abysmal on 22:36 - Feb 9 by Bluefish

I'm available for an interview

To be honest, right now I would accept you in place of Lambert.

Especially as it would be funny seeing you play Edwards to dazzling effect.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Abysmal on 22:38 - Feb 9 with 2879 viewsFixed_It

Abysmal on 22:32 - Feb 9 by SomethingBlue

He has to go, this just isn't sustainable on any level and the harm it's causing is gigantic.

But the fact that fans aren't there to show their displeasure/anger is the only factor keeping him in a job - and to then tell us we deserved a draw/win etc when it is patently obvious to anyone with half a brain that we were second best (again) is just taking us for mugs.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Abysmal on 22:41 - Feb 9 with 2822 viewsKev_W

I find it impossible to understand what Evans is trying to do. We have a puzzlingly successful businessman appearing to run a club at a distance, without a clear long term strategy or a short term plan. The reputational damage to his standing ought to be enough to make him act but he appears to dither. In the absence of action, supporters assume he doesn't know what to do or doesn't care.Maybe this is another of those slow motion manage departures - Jim, Jewel, Mick.

The squad is by some way the weakest I have ever known. Too many players of limited ability and resilience. Few leaders. Too many look alike players without clear positions or roles. Too many changes in personnel and formation. Limited ability to adapt. Teams rarely set up to neutralise opponents yet have few options to unlock the most basic tactical barriers set by opponents. Failure to bring the best out of players - anyone performing better than last season. The list could continue...

Agree - no excuse other than illness for manager to avoid the media.
Abysmal on 22:44 - Feb 9 with 2775 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Abysmal on 22:31 - Feb 9 by itfcjoe

We have a manager that doesn’t want to be here and wants to be paid off, and an owner that doesn’t want to shell out to sack him

Still firmly believe he’ll be here until the end of the season, or close enough to it if it does indeed become cheaper for Evans to remove him if we don’t go up

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Abysmal on 22:47 - Feb 9 with 2726 viewsChurchman

Tell me why they should care? Evans: cost saving, portfolio, balance sheet, minimise losses because nobody will buy him out. Lambert: long contract, stealing a living while he can. Taylor and the rest? Scrawning a living while they can. Players: pension top up and others hoping for better with their next move.

Ipswich Town Football Club? Nobody gives a hoot about it other than the supporters and one or two ex players.
Abysmal on 23:08 - Feb 9 with 2620 viewswaveneyblue

Its now beyond any logical thinking.

Anyone can see that nothing is going to change with Lambert in charge, but our owner just carries on regardless.

Its just so depressing and it seems like its only going to get worse.

The only thing saving the club from complete implosion is that the fans aren't able to voice their opinion in the one place it can't be ignored.
Abysmal on 07:59 - Feb 10 with 2317 viewsSteve_M

Abysmal on 22:41 - Feb 9 by Kev_W

I find it impossible to understand what Evans is trying to do. We have a puzzlingly successful businessman appearing to run a club at a distance, without a clear long term strategy or a short term plan. The reputational damage to his standing ought to be enough to make him act but he appears to dither. In the absence of action, supporters assume he doesn't know what to do or doesn't care.Maybe this is another of those slow motion manage departures - Jim, Jewel, Mick.

The squad is by some way the weakest I have ever known. Too many players of limited ability and resilience. Few leaders. Too many look alike players without clear positions or roles. Too many changes in personnel and formation. Limited ability to adapt. Teams rarely set up to neutralise opponents yet have few options to unlock the most basic tactical barriers set by opponents. Failure to bring the best out of players - anyone performing better than last season. The list could continue...

If nothing else he has been pretty good at deflecting attention away from himself when things have been going wrong up until now and onto the manager of the day or Clegg or Milne, witness the video "interview" he did after McCarthy left where a few bland platitudes seemed enough for a lot of fans.

Providing Lambert with an overly long-contract at a time when he should have been looking for a new manager followed by the apparent indifference over the last 14 months is incomprehensible, even by the low standards ME has set here. It's not totally indifference to the club, he was happy to fund additional signings last month, but it makes no sense from his perspective as you say.

Also, I wish you didn't just come back and post when things have gone totally to sh1t. Hope you're doing ok anywya.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Abysmal on 09:35 - Feb 10 with 2176 viewsSomethingBlue

Because there is no proper front man for the club — and definitely not now that Lambert has decided it's beneath him to address the fans — it's very difficult to get any read on anything. I guess O'Neill, who is competent and nice, has that gig but at the end of the day his authority is minimal. The club communicates appallingly and it leaves people feeling confused and bereft. Maybe that needn't be the case! But we'll never know.

You hit on something there with the word "resilience". There's a deep-rooted frailty in this group — buckle under any sustained pressure from an opponent, can't mount similar spells when behind and often even when level. It's a mentally weak set of players that might, and should, do better under another manager but in many cases is just guys who probably know their careers have drifted or regressed in a disappointing way.

As Steve says, good to see you posting!

Abysmal on 09:44 - Feb 10 with 2111 viewsNthQldITFC

Abysmal on 22:29 - Feb 9 by SomethingBlue

And it is long-term damage too. I think it's been surmised elsewhere that the club think that an eventual change will get everyone back on side. I'm not so sure. There's a very bad aftertaste from this one, and a prolonged crash in support levels might well be a reality.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Abysmal on 10:14 - Feb 10 with 2007 viewsKev_W

Abysmal on 09:35 - Feb 10 by SomethingBlue

Because there is no proper front man for the club — and definitely not now that Lambert has decided it's beneath him to address the fans — it's very difficult to get any read on anything. I guess O'Neill, who is competent and nice, has that gig but at the end of the day his authority is minimal. The club communicates appallingly and it leaves people feeling confused and bereft. Maybe that needn't be the case! But we'll never know.

You hit on something there with the word "resilience". There's a deep-rooted frailty in this group — buckle under any sustained pressure from an opponent, can't mount similar spells when behind and often even when level. It's a mentally weak set of players that might, and should, do better under another manager but in many cases is just guys who probably know their careers have drifted or regressed in a disappointing way.

As Steve says, good to see you posting!

Couple of things:

- the lack of front man seems to be a symptom of something deeper - a lack of club management. Basic tasks are done (few particularly well) but there is a manifest lack of drive and zero innovation. Essentially it is an organisation going through the motions of being a football club. This at a time when clubs at almost all levels of the game have improved their off field operations. You might know more about that.

- the resilience thing is now deep seated. First team recruitment has been poor with Lambert not significantly improving on the low standards set by his predecessor. We are bringing inn players with ability but perhaps ill suited to the challenge faced and then repeating it. Financial constraints affect who we can recruit but a club of our size should be able to do better.
Abysmal on 10:24 - Feb 10 with 1957 viewsBlueNomad

Abysmal on 22:47 - Feb 9 by Churchman

Tell me why they should care? Evans: cost saving, portfolio, balance sheet, minimise losses because nobody will buy him out. Lambert: long contract, stealing a living while he can. Taylor and the rest? Scrawning a living while they can. Players: pension top up and others hoping for better with their next move.

Ipswich Town Football Club? Nobody gives a hoot about it other than the supporters and one or two ex players.

I was thinking about how some of the ex-players must feel. KD, Warky, Terry Butcher, Big Al, Bryan Hamilton, Stewie et al show their love for the club by what they do there and say in the media. Their hearts must be breaking.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 10:27]
Abysmal on 10:39 - Feb 10 with 1903 viewschicoazul

KevW! Welcome back.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Abysmal on 10:44 - Feb 10 with 1863 viewsBiGDonnie

Clubs an absolute shambles and ran by clowns.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Abysmal on 10:50 - Feb 10 with 1834 viewsHerbivore

The whole thing is such a mess. I'm trying just to be numb to it at this point because otherwise I'd be absolutely losing my sh!t about it.

As Joe says, Lambert clearly doesn't want to be here. The only time we hear from him now is when he's telling the national press how great Celtic are or that we really shouldn't be playing football and it should just be cancelled. Great message to send out that. He just wants a pay off now and knows this will be his last gig in football. Evans either can't or won't pay him off for now so we seem to be at a stand off.

You've had a lot more patience for Lambert than many, so to see you at this point shows just how bad things have got. It isn't sustainable, in fact it's killing the club as every game that passes mires us further in this crappy league and drives more fans away. I don't think Evans fully appreciates how grave the situation is in terms of the future of the club. How many STs does he expect to sell next season with us in the third tier again post-pandemic and with Lambert still at the helm? Even with the salary cap being scrapped, any competitive advantage that might give us will be eroded if the fans all disappear.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 10:50]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Abysmal on 11:05 - Feb 10 with 1781 viewsSomethingBlue

Abysmal on 10:14 - Feb 10 by Kev_W

Couple of things:

- the lack of front man seems to be a symptom of something deeper - a lack of club management. Basic tasks are done (few particularly well) but there is a manifest lack of drive and zero innovation. Essentially it is an organisation going through the motions of being a football club. This at a time when clubs at almost all levels of the game have improved their off field operations. You might know more about that.

- the resilience thing is now deep seated. First team recruitment has been poor with Lambert not significantly improving on the low standards set by his predecessor. We are bringing inn players with ability but perhaps ill suited to the challenge faced and then repeating it. Financial constraints affect who we can recruit but a club of our size should be able to do better.

Yes, there's a lack of relevant brains (and bodies, which comes first really as there are some good people working there now who are on hiding to nothing) within the place and it just means the club is marking out time. You are spot on that other clubs are actively improving. In the past five/ten years we've been outstripped spectacularly when we could have had so many advantages. There are a couple of League Two clubs better set up than Town are. A number in this division. And almost all of the Championship. It's astonishing.

That of course feeds into your second point. Recruitment hasn't been smart at all but then the staffing is slim and the scope minimal. It doesn't seem like we've ever really bothered to look around and say "how can we work more *smartly* than the others?". Which is a shame, because that's how anyone else with prospects is thinking.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2021 11:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024