Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee O'Neill 21:55 - Feb 11 with 5349 viewsJDAndCoke

What is the issue with Lee O'Neill? Genuine question as I've never understood the constant negativity and criticism that comes his way?

All I ever seem to read is 'Evans puppet' (let's face it, ME is his boss and clearly he will therefore take instructions from above) and 'P.E teacher'. I personally think he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, always speaks well and honestly in the media, clearly very knowledgeable on the football side of things too and he has something a lot of our past CEO's or whatever title you want to give them didn't have - a genuine love for the club.

I genuinely find it intriguing how certain people at the club are portrayed from the outside in various ways. For example O'Neill gets dogs abuse purely because he works closely with Marcus Evans yet Bryan Klug is seen in a completely different light when in reality we as outsiders know very little (I appreciate their roles within the club are very different but it's purely an example of how we see people from the outside).
Lee O'Neill on 22:10 - Feb 11 with 2818 viewsFixed_It

I agree. He is just an easy target for a frustrated fanbase.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lee O'Neill on 22:15 - Feb 11 with 2802 viewsSteve_M

LON is, by most accounts, a good person who has the interests of the club, and the wider community, at heart. Unfortunately he’s doing about five jobs so can’t physically do all of them well and he works for Marcus Evans who we can’t even be sure is competent enough at football to know what his own interests are.

When LON leaves, assuming he does before Evans finds an escape route, we’ll end up with someone doing the job with none of the affection and understanding of the club. But hey, easier just to lash out the direct criticism where it should go - directly to Marcus Evans.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lee O'Neill on 22:18 - Feb 11 with 2790 viewsGuthrum

He's the public-facing front-man, so cops a chunk of people's anger and frustration with how things are going at the club. Some of the annoyance comes, perhaps, from the fact he has a senior job title, but appears unable/unwilling to effect change.

Klug has the advantage of being mostly out-of-sight in a backroom role (plus working with the generally venerated Youth setup).

I agree, the level of criticism is probably unwarranted. But it kind of comes with the territory when the Owner is unreachable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lee O'Neill on 22:21 - Feb 11 with 2754 viewsJDAndCoke

Lee O'Neill on 22:15 - Feb 11 by Steve_M

LON is, by most accounts, a good person who has the interests of the club, and the wider community, at heart. Unfortunately he’s doing about five jobs so can’t physically do all of them well and he works for Marcus Evans who we can’t even be sure is competent enough at football to know what his own interests are.

When LON leaves, assuming he does before Evans finds an escape route, we’ll end up with someone doing the job with none of the affection and understanding of the club. But hey, easier just to lash out the direct criticism where it should go - directly to Marcus Evans.

I agree. The guy is 'one of our own'. On the pitch we get behind these types religiously. Why should it not be the same off the pitch?
Lee O'Neill on 22:22 - Feb 11 with 2755 viewsGarv

Aside from there being not a lot wrong with being a P.E teacher, calling him that as some kind of put down is just disrespectful. Says a lot about our fan base.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Lee O'Neill on 22:24 - Feb 11 with 2745 viewsFixed_It

Lee O'Neill on 22:22 - Feb 11 by Garv

Aside from there being not a lot wrong with being a P.E teacher, calling him that as some kind of put down is just disrespectful. Says a lot about our fan base.

It also shows total ignorance, and doesn't reflect well on those who think they are being clever by saying it.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Lee O'Neill on 22:28 - Feb 11 with 2707 viewsMr_J

Good sensible rational post. Lots of the abuse aimed towards him is way OTT and personal. I get that people feel emotionally about ITFC's decline but using his PR quotes to take digs at him is really missing the wider point of why we have fallen so hard. How would those frothing at the mouth whenever he speaks genuinely react if he were to come out and agree we are sh1te? What is he supposed to say? He's clearly just towing the party line.
Lee O'Neill on 22:30 - Feb 11 with 2689 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don’t think it’s fair on Klugg to lump him in the same bracket as LON. He’s hugely experienced and highly respected in the game. He’s the diamond in the rough.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Lee O'Neill on 22:41 - Feb 11 with 2616 viewsMr_J

Lee O'Neill on 22:22 - Feb 11 by Garv

Spot on. See also James Pullen and the twitter putdowns about his job which were lauded on here as some kind of comedy genius.
Lee O'Neill on 22:43 - Feb 11 with 2609 viewsJDAndCoke

Lee O'Neill on 22:30 - Feb 11 by Swansea_Blue

Don’t think it’s fair on Klugg to lump him in the same bracket as LON. He’s hugely experienced and highly respected in the game. He’s the diamond in the rough.

*Klug

With respect, I explicitly said that this was purely an example of how we see people within the club from the outside, hence not comparing the two in any way.
Lee O'Neill on 22:48 - Feb 11 with 2593 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lee O'Neill on 22:43 - Feb 11 by JDAndCoke

*Klug

With respect, I explicitly said that this was purely an example of how we see people within the club from the outside, hence not comparing the two in any way.

LON is inexperienced, so I suspect that has a lot to do with it. It’s an impossible ask on him really. I don’t understand the abuse though; he’s only doing his job and it’s not his fault Evans is rubbish.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lee O'Neill on 22:50 - Feb 11 with 2580 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 22:41 - Feb 11 by Mr_J

Spot on. See also James Pullen and the twitter putdowns about his job which were lauded on here as some kind of comedy genius.

On the contrary there were just as many who said it was poor behaviour.

Not sure where this latest perception is coming from all of a sudden.

I've certainly never said a word against O'Neil. Seems ok enough if not powerless, and Phil has said several times he's a decent enough guy who's tried to mediate on his behalf too.

People are frustrated and lash out here and there, sometimes at the wrong targets in the lack of the right ones being available.

Seems Lambert and Evans hiding away leaving A.N.Other to take the flak works on some level.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lee O'Neill on 22:51 - Feb 11 with 2582 viewsSwailsey

Agree that the PE teacher stuff isn’t on. Clearly a very articulate bloke and seems nice. Same with Pullen.

However, his dismissiveness of the calling for Phil’s reinstatement, his flippant and patronising response to why they had banned Phil, his comments about the human body not being build for playing football as an excuse for our injuries (whilst true that it isn’t - we aren’t the only football team!) and the fact he is the only one we bloody hear from now since our manager only talks to 5-Live, means he bears the brunt of a lot.

Oh, and he changed his email address and didn’t respond to anyone or acknowledge the feedback he had received.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Lee O'Neill on 22:54 - Feb 11 with 2564 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 22:51 - Feb 11 by Swailsey

Agree that the PE teacher stuff isn’t on. Clearly a very articulate bloke and seems nice. Same with Pullen.

However, his dismissiveness of the calling for Phil’s reinstatement, his flippant and patronising response to why they had banned Phil, his comments about the human body not being build for playing football as an excuse for our injuries (whilst true that it isn’t - we aren’t the only football team!) and the fact he is the only one we bloody hear from now since our manager only talks to 5-Live, means he bears the brunt of a lot.

Oh, and he changed his email address and didn’t respond to anyone or acknowledge the feedback he had received.

"his flippant and patronising response to why they had banned Phil"

Missed that.

As for changing his email that's hardly surprising if it was being flooded daily.

I was one of them so am hardly judging, but can understand that at least.

I would assume the PE stuff is more that he isn't qualified to be in the position he is, but then who else has that's worked under Evans? He wants 'yes' men doesn't he, which is why they always come across as a bit weak.

Lee O'Neill on 23:00 - Feb 11 with 2536 viewsSwailsey

Lee O'Neill on 22:54 - Feb 11 by jeera

"his flippant and patronising response to why they had banned Phil"

Missed that.

As for changing his email that's hardly surprising if it was being flooded daily.

I was one of them so am hardly judging, but can understand that at least.

I would assume the PE stuff is more that he isn't qualified to be in the position he is, but then who else has that's worked under Evans? He wants 'yes' men doesn't he, which is why they always come across as a bit weak.

Sorry, I phrased that badly.

He referred to TWTD as a fanzine, lied that we were the only club who let them in, and the fact that it was down to a poster leaking the news was pathetic and out of Phil’s control.

His entire interview on the Tuesday PM after it broke over the weekend before was awful. To give him the benefit of the doubt, if he didn’t write in, then he is just the mouth piece. If he did write it, then it was unacceptable to me personally.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Lee O'Neill on 23:03 - Feb 11 with 2528 viewsJDAndCoke

I'd be intrigued to get Phil's opinion directly on this as that's different to my interpretation of what Lee's comments.

In relation to changing his email address, I think we can excuse him for not taking on the role of club secretary on top of everything else he's titled with.
Lee O'Neill on 23:19 - Feb 11 with 2454 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 23:00 - Feb 11 by Swailsey

Sorry, I phrased that badly.

He referred to TWTD as a fanzine, lied that we were the only club who let them in, and the fact that it was down to a poster leaking the news was pathetic and out of Phil’s control.

His entire interview on the Tuesday PM after it broke over the weekend before was awful. To give him the benefit of the doubt, if he didn’t write in, then he is just the mouth piece. If he did write it, then it was unacceptable to me personally.

Yes that was poor, that's true. Agree with you.

Although that did stink of him reciting the boss's words.

I had a moan about it in an email or but as plenty of us have said, those probably didn't even get a glance.

Lee O'Neill on 23:20 - Feb 11 with 2460 viewsGarv

Genuinely what do you expect him to say about injuries, other than they're doing all they can to better the sport science and generally prevent them? A throwaway comment like the one he made is seriously not something to get het up about.

Lee O'Neill on 23:25 - Feb 11 with 2421 viewsSwailsey

Lee O'Neill on 23:20 - Feb 11 by Garv

Genuinely what do you expect him to say about injuries, other than they're doing all they can to better the sport science and generally prevent them? A throwaway comment like the one he made is seriously not something to get het up about.

Who’s het up? Please don’t come after me now - I know you like a battle.

Lee O'Neill on 23:30 - Feb 11 with 2402 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 23:20 - Feb 11 by Garv

Any negative remarks about this site, the one you are using right now, shouldn't just be dismissed as flippant.

You should be at least a bit irritated yourself at those remarks, if nothing else.

As this thread is about picking on the wrong targets, Swailes the poster there would certainly be one of them.

Lee O'Neill on 23:37 - Feb 11 with 2383 viewsGarv

Lee O'Neill on 23:30 - Feb 11 by jeera

Any negative remarks about this site, the one you are using right now, shouldn't just be dismissed as flippant.

You should be at least a bit irritated yourself at those remarks, if nothing else.

As this thread is about picking on the wrong targets, Swailes the poster there would certainly be one of them.

I'm not referring to any comments made about the site, I'm talking about the comment he made about injuries. I thought that was clear.

Lee O'Neill on 23:39 - Feb 11 with 2369 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 23:37 - Feb 11 by Garv

I'm not referring to any comments made about the site, I'm talking about the comment he made about injuries. I thought that was clear.

No that's me getting my posts mixed up whilst trying to do something else.

Apologies for that.

Lee O'Neill on 23:39 - Feb 11 with 2369 viewsGarv

Lee O'Neill on 23:25 - Feb 11 by Swailsey

Who’s het up? Please don’t come after me now - I know you like a battle.

I'm confident I haven't come after anyone, whatever that means. I've seen folk on here and Twitter criticise LO's injury comment.

Lee O'Neill on 23:41 - Feb 11 with 2354 viewsMr_J

Lee O'Neill on 22:50 - Feb 11 by jeera

On the contrary there were just as many who said it was poor behaviour.

Not sure where this latest perception is coming from all of a sudden.

I've certainly never said a word against O'Neil. Seems ok enough if not powerless, and Phil has said several times he's a decent enough guy who's tried to mediate on his behalf too.

People are frustrated and lash out here and there, sometimes at the wrong targets in the lack of the right ones being available.

Seems Lambert and Evans hiding away leaving A.N.Other to take the flak works on some level.

Yes there was some pushback to it which was good. It just irked me that they seemed to be in the minority, it had far more upvotes than downvotes when I last saw it and I know internet points don't matter in the real world but it didn't give me a good impression of the fan base at that time.

The perception of our fans being toxic you mean? I think there's a fine line between venting frustration fairly and being irrational. I don't want to be seen as hating on our fanbase right now, we're perhaps the most united we've been during my time as a fan, the last few months has seen some great posts from those who are hurting far more than Marcus Evans. There has been alot of anger but the vast majority of it has been done with decency. But it's also brought out some of the worst elements too. I lurk alot and rarely post because I don't like getting into debate as I overthink things, but there seems to be daily occurances of posts which overstep the mark in some way. Maybe I'm just a snowflake.

I agree that LON is one of the ones taking disproportionate amounts of flak because Lambert is now hiding from the media and Evans is not saying enough.
Lee O'Neill on 23:47 - Feb 11 with 2342 viewsjeera

Lee O'Neill on 23:41 - Feb 11 by Mr_J

Yes there was some pushback to it which was good. It just irked me that they seemed to be in the minority, it had far more upvotes than downvotes when I last saw it and I know internet points don't matter in the real world but it didn't give me a good impression of the fan base at that time.

The perception of our fans being toxic you mean? I think there's a fine line between venting frustration fairly and being irrational. I don't want to be seen as hating on our fanbase right now, we're perhaps the most united we've been during my time as a fan, the last few months has seen some great posts from those who are hurting far more than Marcus Evans. There has been alot of anger but the vast majority of it has been done with decency. But it's also brought out some of the worst elements too. I lurk alot and rarely post because I don't like getting into debate as I overthink things, but there seems to be daily occurances of posts which overstep the mark in some way. Maybe I'm just a snowflake.

I agree that LON is one of the ones taking disproportionate amounts of flak because Lambert is now hiding from the media and Evans is not saying enough.

Man, as far as football fans go, this lot are among the most civilised you will find anywhere!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024