Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich 09:58 - Feb 15 with 4628 viewsOsborneOneNil

IF, the worst was to happen and we went bust, had to reform down the pyramid as AFC Ipswich....would you follow them?

I just read the thread ‘where will we be in 10 years’ and this scenario came up, we go bust and do a Phoenix from the flames. I was born and bred in Essex, lived in Witham, and from ‘81 to ‘87 made most home games. I moved to Dorset and so became a long distance fan, doing 5/6 away games and 2-5 home per season. I have Town in my heart, as much as anyone, and my 3 lads are all Town (despite being born in Dorset).

I know, or presume, that fans who make it every week or who live within an hour or two would most likely be AFC Ipswich, but what is the tie for me, or others that live a long way from Ipswich, or overseas etc?

Is it a brand new team/club, or am I missing the point, it’s a re-birth?
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:04 - Feb 15 with 2714 viewsPendejo

're-birth

Live 90 mins to 2 hours away (subject to traffic), following the team is more about meeting up with friends at the moment (a moment that's lasted since 14/15 season)

Would probably follow an AFC Ipswich over supporting either of the 2 clubs nearest to where I live - Millwall or Dulwich Hamlet

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:06 - Feb 15 with 2697 viewsKeno

I consider Ipswich to be my 'home town' and my attachment to pass to any re-born club

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:10 - Feb 15 with 2656 viewshoppy

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:06 - Feb 15 by Keno

I consider Ipswich to be my 'home town' and my attachment to pass to any re-born club

I thought you were eyeing one up in the Cornwall area?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:12 - Feb 15 with 2644 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good question. The problem with being miles away is that it would take time to rebuild an attachment, which only comes from games and developing shared experiences and memories. And it would be hard to do that when you only get a handful of games each season.

I'd probably come along for the ride and see where it takes us. It would partly depend on the reformation and whether it was something new or a salvaging of ITFC with former ITFC people involved.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:17 - Feb 15 with 2621 viewsOsborneOneNil

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:04 - Feb 15 by Pendejo

're-birth

Live 90 mins to 2 hours away (subject to traffic), following the team is more about meeting up with friends at the moment (a moment that's lasted since 14/15 season)

Would probably follow an AFC Ipswich over supporting either of the 2 clubs nearest to where I live - Millwall or Dulwich Hamlet

Yeah see I don’t have that. When I go, it’s with my boys, and/or another mate from here who’s a Town fan.
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:17 - Feb 15 with 2620 viewsHipsterectomy

West Ham is a 10 minute walk from me from where I live in Bow and there is a chance they will be playing Champion's League football next season...I would definitely support an Ipswich based team or local Suffolk team.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:17 - Feb 15 with 2619 viewsWeWereZombies

Considering how badly we have been doing in the English leagues and some of the great players from our past I would suggest that AFC Gyppeswyck apply to join either the Netherlands or Scottish league system.

If we went Dutch then a new stadium could be built at Hook of Holland and home games would be rose tinted nostalgia as everyone went down to Felixstowe to catch the ferry, if in Scotland then our current plight could be reflected by taking over Fort William and working our way up from the bottom of the Highland League (or if Lambert was still in charge by taking over Forres Mechanics so that the tinkering with things was reflected in AFC Gyppeswyckian Forres Crude Mechanicals managed by a Bottom (of the league already!)).

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2616 viewsOsborneOneNil

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:12 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

Good question. The problem with being miles away is that it would take time to rebuild an attachment, which only comes from games and developing shared experiences and memories. And it would be hard to do that when you only get a handful of games each season.

I'd probably come along for the ride and see where it takes us. It would partly depend on the reformation and whether it was something new or a salvaging of ITFC with former ITFC people involved.

Yes, that’s pretty much how I feel on it.
Login to get fewer ads

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2612 viewsKeno

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:10 - Feb 15 by hoppy

I thought you were eyeing one up in the Cornwall area?

there are quaint places in Cornwall

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:20 - Feb 15 with 2601 viewsOsborneOneNil

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:17 - Feb 15 by Hipsterectomy

West Ham is a 10 minute walk from me from where I live in Bow and there is a chance they will be playing Champion's League football next season...I would definitely support an Ipswich based team or local Suffolk team.

I’m 20 miles from Bournemouth, an hour from Southampton. I wouldn’t start following either of them, it’s Town or nothing isn’t it.

As Swansea said, for me, it’s the tie to ITFC...the buzz of walking to the ground as a kid (and now), walking up the steps and seeing the pitch. Magical.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 10:31]
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:24 - Feb 15 with 2574 viewsKeno

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:20 - Feb 15 by OsborneOneNil

I’m 20 miles from Bournemouth, an hour from Southampton. I wouldn’t start following either of them, it’s Town or nothing isn’t it.

As Swansea said, for me, it’s the tie to ITFC...the buzz of walking to the ground as a kid (and now), walking up the steps and seeing the pitch. Magical.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 10:31]

Someone else summed that up nicely for us all

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:25 - Feb 15 with 2570 viewstextbackup

not really a question to me, as i'm Ipswich (well kesgrave) based.

Where is this new team playing, portman road?

will there be any of the current d1ckheds involved?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:26 - Feb 15 with 2553 viewsLesta_Tractor

I'm finding modern football to be a bit of a bore so if Ipswich folded I'd probably just watch cricket and rugby

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:28 - Feb 15 with 2532 viewshoppy

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:25 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Bit harsh, but yes, I'd still go probably.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:33 - Feb 15 with 2499 viewsFoD_Blue

I would walk away from football completely. I don’t care much for what football as has become, there is too much money involved, and generally the players are not relatable to.
I only support Town because it’s all I know. Without that, I would probably turn my back on sport completely. I have plenty of other time sinks in my life.
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:33 - Feb 15 with 2493 viewsOsborneOneNil

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:26 - Feb 15 by Lesta_Tractor

I'm finding modern football to be a bit of a bore so if Ipswich folded I'd probably just watch cricket and rugby

I’d watch National League Weymouth. Tbf, it’s quite enjoyable at that level!
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:38 - Feb 15 with 2467 viewsOsborneOneNil

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:33 - Feb 15 by FoD_Blue

I would walk away from football completely. I don’t care much for what football as has become, there is too much money involved, and generally the players are not relatable to.
I only support Town because it’s all I know. Without that, I would probably turn my back on sport completely. I have plenty of other time sinks in my life.

Turn your back on ALL sport?
For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:41 - Feb 15 with 2438 viewsHipsterectomy

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:25 - Feb 15 by textbackup

Kesgrave-based?

Ipswih Wanderers is your local team you glory hunter

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:49 - Feb 15 with 2412 viewsclive_baker

A re-birth can work, look at Rangers, but it certainly loses something for me, and I'm from Ipswich. Part of the connection and attachment to a club is the history, all those players and adoring fans that have gone before, the silverware, the tales of highs and lows. The tacit fabric of the club which goes back so far. Despite all the ups, the downs and the history, the one thing that has remained consistent is that it is, fundamentally, the same club, formed in 1878 and long term participants in the English football league. The same entity. That's obviously not the case if the club is wound up and a new one formed in its place. It's just AFC Ipswich, formed in 2021, with a big fan base.

If it's as simple as winding it up and starting a new one, why don't people just go and support Wanderers?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:02 - Feb 15 with 2335 viewsMetal_Hacker

I'm struggling to support this current club let alone a reincarnation

Poll: If it were one or the other

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:05 - Feb 15 with 2314 viewsmonty_radio

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:49 - Feb 15 by clive_baker

A re-birth can work, look at Rangers, but it certainly loses something for me, and I'm from Ipswich. Part of the connection and attachment to a club is the history, all those players and adoring fans that have gone before, the silverware, the tales of highs and lows. The tacit fabric of the club which goes back so far. Despite all the ups, the downs and the history, the one thing that has remained consistent is that it is, fundamentally, the same club, formed in 1878 and long term participants in the English football league. The same entity. That's obviously not the case if the club is wound up and a new one formed in its place. It's just AFC Ipswich, formed in 2021, with a big fan base.

If it's as simple as winding it up and starting a new one, why don't people just go and support Wanderers?

All hypothetical, of course. But I just wonder if P.R. still stood there, and AFC Town were formed to play there starting low down the pyramid, wouldn't curiosity and affinity get the better of you? It's worked for Wimbledon although I realise that the anger generated there gave fans something to prove.

Some would obviously walk away and not return, just as, in fact, has been the case for quite a few of my age known to me and who, although they once traveled the length and breadth of Europe, tell me they don't go anymore, and that Brenner is as close as they get.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 11:34]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:08 - Feb 15 with 2300 viewsRyorry

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 10:17 - Feb 15 by WeWereZombies

Considering how badly we have been doing in the English leagues and some of the great players from our past I would suggest that AFC Gyppeswyck apply to join either the Netherlands or Scottish league system.

If we went Dutch then a new stadium could be built at Hook of Holland and home games would be rose tinted nostalgia as everyone went down to Felixstowe to catch the ferry, if in Scotland then our current plight could be reflected by taking over Fort William and working our way up from the bottom of the Highland League (or if Lambert was still in charge by taking over Forres Mechanics so that the tinkering with things was reflected in AFC Gyppeswyckian Forres Crude Mechanicals managed by a Bottom (of the league already!)).

🤣 Cheers for the laffs Zombers!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:16 - Feb 15 with 2282 viewsclive_baker

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:05 - Feb 15 by monty_radio

All hypothetical, of course. But I just wonder if P.R. still stood there, and AFC Town were formed to play there starting low down the pyramid, wouldn't curiosity and affinity get the better of you? It's worked for Wimbledon although I realise that the anger generated there gave fans something to prove.

Some would obviously walk away and not return, just as, in fact, has been the case for quite a few of my age known to me and who, although they once traveled the length and breadth of Europe, tell me they don't go anymore, and that Brenner is as close as they get.

Don't get me wrong, I would still go and drink beers and watch some football, but it wouldn't be the same club. I would rather it was honest to that, there's no legends bar, there's no statues and former greats honoured there. It's not a club that's provided England with their most successful managers, and a former captain. It's not a club that's won honours domestically and internationally. That could all be remembered of course, for the defunct ITFC. AFC Wimbledon have never won an FA Cup, not the entity that exists today. They're a new club that happen to attract some of the same fans IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I might well go an watch still. But 4,000 inside PR watching Ryman league football would be a bit embarrassing, frankly. I can't imagine the atmosphere would be great either, it would feel a bit cavernous.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 11:17]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:18 - Feb 15 with 2253 viewsBluefish

I suppose it depends how close the new ipswich is to the old one If it is like Rangers and exactly the same then I definitely would. If it was a new entity and new ground etc then I probably wouldn't but hard to.know

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:19 - Feb 15 with 2251 viewsRyorry

For Fans who live MILES from Ipswich on 11:05 - Feb 15 by monty_radio

Curiosity + sentiment might get me, yes, but I think I just wouldn't know till it actually happened & then I'd just have to see where my heart & guts took me, it'd be them that decide things for me, not my head!

Of the local-ish teams, Harrogate Town would be an option but I literally can't stand looking at their god-awful neon yellow strip, hurts my eyes & makes me feel sick!!

Have had a soft spot for Barnsley who became an unofficial "second team" for me since the POF, so living in N. Yorkshire, I might go for them if the AFL thing didn't feel right to me.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024