Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. 19:54 - Feb 15 with 1732 viewscatch74

Check out the teams here. 12 still in the top league, 10 not.
Oh, look who’s fallen the furthest, now we’re below Oxford.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:02 - Feb 15 with 1673 viewsWD19

1st February 1986, I remember it well.

Popped into Woolworths too.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:05 - Feb 15 with 1661 viewsrgp1

My god we threw away some points that season!
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:10 - Feb 15 with 1629 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

2 years before and 6 years after those results Notts County were in the top flight and they are now in the National League.

We may have a way to fall yet.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:38 - Feb 15 with 1579 viewsmonty_radio

When I was 15 I went on holiday with my parents who knew nothing about football. England were playing Portugal in the 1966 World Cup Semi.

I wandered Southend High St, finding a closed shop (Currys, I think) that had several T.V.s that showed the game. Half a dozen blokes gathered, one having a transistor radio which provided the commentary. Great way to watch a memorable game!
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 23:14]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:09 - Feb 15 with 1468 viewsSuperCoops

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:02 - Feb 15 by WD19

I was there. Remember going to school the following Monday (I was about 7) and having an argument with my Liverpool mate who refused to believe we had beaten them.

I'm still mates with him and haven't let him forget it!
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:15 - Feb 15 with 1448 viewsronnyd

I think that it's 13 still in the top flight there.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:53 - Feb 15 with 1390 viewscatch74

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:15 - Feb 15 by ronnyd

I think that it's 13 still in the top flight there.

You’re right - WBA, despite the new manager, still had them as Championship.

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:58 - Feb 15 with 1385 viewsfloridablue

Yeah, what simplistic/ happier/ easy going days they were, or at least appeared to be! Race to get from .. after match PR into town centre to check out results in the shop windows or a quick beer or two! And then picking up a 'Green Un' before facing the 'wrath'!! and home by 8ish in the evening!
Happy memories at least for me!
That's in the days when most games were the 3 pm Saturday kick offs
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 0:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:14 - Feb 16 with 1359 viewscatch74

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:58 - Feb 15 by floridablue

Yeah, what simplistic/ happier/ easy going days they were, or at least appeared to be! Race to get from .. after match PR into town centre to check out results in the shop windows or a quick beer or two! And then picking up a 'Green Un' before facing the 'wrath'!! and home by 8ish in the evening!
Happy memories at least for me!
That's in the days when most games were the 3 pm Saturday kick offs
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 0:03]

Was the main news at 6 and 9pm in the evening? Trying to remember timings. Definitely more news and less trash back then. The newspaper in the morning would actually have new news.

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:18 - Feb 16 with 1356 viewsSuperCoops

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:14 - Feb 16 by catch74

Was the main news at 6 and 9pm in the evening? Trying to remember timings. Definitely more news and less trash back then. The newspaper in the morning would actually have new news.

But it was great, be out the ground at full time and then you were detached from the hostilites of a defeat, poor times etc. You picked up the Green 'Un at around 6pm but there was no social media, internet, mobile phones and you didn't have people trolling etc.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:55 - Feb 16 with 1323 viewspointofblue

I remember the backing track to the results, though this may have been more in the 90s:

ETA - thinking about it was this for the tables afterwards rather than the results themselves?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2021 1:01]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 01:00 - Feb 16 with 1318 viewsfloridablue

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:18 - Feb 16 by SuperCoops

But it was great, be out the ground at full time and then you were detached from the hostilites of a defeat, poor times etc. You picked up the Green 'Un at around 6pm but there was no social media, internet, mobile phones and you didn't have people trolling etc.

That's where the 'anger/frustration' ended back in those days, after picking up the 'Green Un' on the way home, early Saturday evenings without cellphones, internet, media connections etc ... done for another week!
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 01:22 - Feb 16 with 1305 viewsronnyd

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:18 - Feb 16 by SuperCoops

Used to drive up to the Cornhill in Bury for the Green 'un at around 7pm.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 09:54 - Feb 16 with 1090 viewsbrazil1982

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 23:09 - Feb 15 by SuperCoops

I was there. Remember going to school the following Monday (I was about 7) and having an argument with my Liverpool mate who refused to believe we had beaten them.

I'm still mates with him and haven't let him forget it!

I was 12 at the time and unfortunately Dad couldn't get seat tickets...so we didn't go. I was gutted, and still am.

I also recall watching the Bradford disaster through a shop window - probably Radio Rentals.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 11:42 - Feb 16 with 1032 viewsjontysnut

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:02 - Feb 15 by WD19

There was that bloke who was on the Golden Shot dialing in ( up a bit, right a bit..) from a phone box outside Rumbelows
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 11:49 - Feb 16 with 1012 viewslongtimefan

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 00:14 - Feb 16 by catch74

As a school kid, before the advent of local radio, the fastest way to find out the score for an evening matches I wasn’t allowed to attend was to tune into the Police radio frequency. There would always be at least one copper on duty elsewhere that would ask the score after full time.
Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 11:54 - Feb 16 with 1007 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 20:10 - Feb 15 by You_Bloo_Right

2 years before and 6 years after those results Notts County were in the top flight and they are now in the National League.

We may have a way to fall yet.

They went a bit batsh*t crazy a few years back. Remember when they started throwing virtual money at people and then it all imploded within a matter of months. They persuaded Sven to go there as DoF on £millions when they were in the fourth tier. Signed Schmeichel from Man C. And then I don't think anyone got paid - it was all built on a house of cards.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 14:33 - Feb 16 with 936 viewsoldburian

Anyone remember standing outside Dixons for the results. on 01:22 - Feb 16 by ronnyd

Used to drive up to the Cornhill in Bury for the Green 'un at around 7pm.

One of my mates got married in the early seventies on a Saturday we were playing Coventry at home and did he take some stick. The reception was in the Everards Hotel and one of us nipped out to the Cornhill for final results. Imagine the consternation when it said we lost one nil. Then one bright spark pointed out there was an 'A' between one and nil. The match had been abandoned due to electrical failure. Three weeks later we won the rearranged match with the groom claiming all the credit 'for his preparatory work'. He was just back from honeymoon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024