Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans is the problem 00:12 - Feb 17 with 3904 viewscaptainfantastic

For once I agree with Lambert. You can change the manager all you like. Evans and the structure of the club is set up to fail. Until this changes we will keep sliding

Poll: player of the season so far?

Evans is the problem on 00:13 - Feb 17 with 3408 viewsCokeIsKey

Lambert is a massive part of the structure of the club.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Evans is the problem on 00:15 - Feb 17 with 3395 viewschrismakin

I partly agree

however, the manager also sets the side up, coaches it and picks the style/formation etc

THIS is where Lambert has failed time and time again and nothing to do with Evans

Even tonight, we've got parrott, Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Lankester, Drinan all available yet we still didn't get the 4-4-2 which we are capable of doing as we have the midfielders and fullbacks available to work with it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Evans is the problem on 00:19 - Feb 17 with 3371 viewscaptainfantastic

Evans is the problem on 00:13 - Feb 17 by CokeIsKey

Lambert is a massive part of the structure of the club.

football players and managers come and go, that's part of the game.

The club always remains and the club needs to have a philosophy, in terms of playing & recruitment.

We should be signing players who will fit into our philosophy, and having a manager to fit.

Then when a manager leaves, you bring in a new one to carry on their work.

Changing the manager who has to rebuild a whole squad to fit their own style every time is too short term and will never work.

Evans is the problem on 00:23 - Feb 17 with 3345 viewscatch74

When do you think Lambert decided Evans was the problem - before or after signing the lucrative new 5 year contract. Surely if you don’t feel you can succeed at a club for one reason or another you go elsewhere. Or you sign the contract anyway because you’re only in it for the money and don’t really care.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Evans is the problem on 00:43 - Feb 17 with 3294 viewsIllinoisblue

What is meant, specifically, by structure? What are we lacking?

Scouting
Fitness/Sports Science
Consistent style across 1st team/U23/Youths
Facilities

I’m sure we’re failing in all these categories and more. Wish Lambert had lost the plot completely tonight and expanded on what he means by “everything” being wrong.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Evans is the problem on 01:00 - Feb 17 with 3263 viewshaynes_toe1

Its much harder to change ownership than it is manager. And the manager change could be enough to temporarily mask the more deep rooted problems
Evans is the problem on 03:01 - Feb 17 with 3198 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Every team coach that has been here with Marcus Evans as club owner has failed. McCarthy - he's got his share of admirers - provided one play-off chance in how many other years of tenure here. You know who won that contest to save mention of the opposition name. Would we have beat Middlesbrough in the Final event, it's all hypothetical now.

Big worry here is the trend would seem to continue when Lambert is kicked out. One sh1t managerial appointment after another, how many is it now since Joe Royle ? You kind of lose count amid the garbage and succession of failures.

Paul Cook named as a potential new coach you couldn't help but see it the past week. I don't know enough about that name but Paul alone is enough to set alarm bells ringing. (Jewell, Hurst, Lambert) Maybe he's very good , have seen one or two encouraging reviews but seems to have been without a club for some considerable time. If he's that golden then why hasn't someone come in and grabbed the opportunity.
Evans is the problem on 07:21 - Feb 17 with 2991 viewsjayessess

We've got to be cynical about anyone who conveniently discovers deep rooted, structural problems to explain away their failures, after more than 2 years in post.

Evans is an absentee landlord, but Lambert's spent his entire stint here telling us what a great owner he is. These nebulous structural problems, which apparently made it impossible for him to do his job, have never been elaborated by Lambert and he's made no public attempts to remedy them. This include periods during his tenure where he had considerable authority to make a stand on any problems he discerned.

So Lambert either consented to work in a structure he knew wasn't fit for purpose or he doesn't really believe it. In either case, he's not worth listening to.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Evans is the problem on 07:25 - Feb 17 with 2979 viewsSteve_M

Evans is the problem on 07:21 - Feb 17 by jayessess

We've got to be cynical about anyone who conveniently discovers deep rooted, structural problems to explain away their failures, after more than 2 years in post.

Evans is an absentee landlord, but Lambert's spent his entire stint here telling us what a great owner he is. These nebulous structural problems, which apparently made it impossible for him to do his job, have never been elaborated by Lambert and he's made no public attempts to remedy them. This include periods during his tenure where he had considerable authority to make a stand on any problems he discerned.

So Lambert either consented to work in a structure he knew wasn't fit for purpose or he doesn't really believe it. In either case, he's not worth listening to.

Lambert didn't discover them after two years, he was critical when he came in. One of the reasons I was prepared to give him time was that he might have been able to persuade ME to bridge some of those failings.

Criticise Lambert's record all you want but he is right about wider problems at the club and he was from the start.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Evans is the problem on 07:32 - Feb 17 with 2939 viewsChrisd

There’s no doubt PL is a very poor manager and needs to go, but let’s not sugarcoat it ME has been the constant throughout our demise and is very much part and parcel of the problem as to why we find ourselves as an average L1 club.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Evans is the problem on 07:33 - Feb 17 with 2933 viewsjayessess

Evans is the problem on 07:25 - Feb 17 by Steve_M

Lambert didn't discover them after two years, he was critical when he came in. One of the reasons I was prepared to give him time was that he might have been able to persuade ME to bridge some of those failings.

Criticise Lambert's record all you want but he is right about wider problems at the club and he was from the start.

He wasn't "critical" when he came in. He vaguely gestured towards the club being in a bad place is all, he didn't actually make any criticisms of any concrete aspect of the club. He's never actually identified any "wider problems" beyond platitudes and there's never been any suggestion that he confronted anyone in the club hierarchy about them.

The only things he ever seems to have confronted the owner about were his own contract extension and his own need for public backing when things were going sour.

Evans is the problem on 07:42 - Feb 17 with 2868 views3_5_2

Evans is the problem on 00:23 - Feb 17 by catch74

When do you think Lambert decided Evans was the problem - before or after signing the lucrative new 5 year contract. Surely if you don’t feel you can succeed at a club for one reason or another you go elsewhere. Or you sign the contract anyway because you’re only in it for the money and don’t really care.

The latter.

Would love to know the break clause. ME was stupid to give him 5 years but surely not that stupid to have a break in it somewhere.

The thought of PL walking away with 4 years pay at circa £500k a season would finish me off

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Evans is the problem on 07:47 - Feb 17 with 2844 viewsjayessess

Evans is the problem on 07:42 - Feb 17 by 3_5_2

The latter.

Would love to know the break clause. ME was stupid to give him 5 years but surely not that stupid to have a break in it somewhere.

The thought of PL walking away with 4 years pay at circa £500k a season would finish me off

The thing is, if Lambert had enough leverage to get that contract, he had enough leverage to demand solutions to these deep-seated problems that he reckons absolve him of blame for our current predicament.

Evans is the problem on 09:20 - Feb 17 with 2726 viewscaptainfantastic

Evans is the problem on 07:32 - Feb 17 by Chrisd

There’s no doubt PL is a very poor manager and needs to go, but let’s not sugarcoat it ME has been the constant throughout our demise and is very much part and parcel of the problem as to why we find ourselves as an average L1 club.

This. 100%

Evans is the problem on 09:24 - Feb 17 with 2714 viewsDyland

Yes indeed.

That does not alter the fact a different manager could do a lot better even within the underfunded and underloved structure Marcus Evans Group have in place. Lambert is doing an awful job, there is no two ways about it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Evans is the problem on 09:27 - Feb 17 with 2693 viewsMossy

Evans is the problem on 03:01 - Feb 17 by Minneapolis_ITFC

Every team coach that has been here with Marcus Evans as club owner has failed. McCarthy - he's got his share of admirers - provided one play-off chance in how many other years of tenure here. You know who won that contest to save mention of the opposition name. Would we have beat Middlesbrough in the Final event, it's all hypothetical now.

Big worry here is the trend would seem to continue when Lambert is kicked out. One sh1t managerial appointment after another, how many is it now since Joe Royle ? You kind of lose count amid the garbage and succession of failures.

Paul Cook named as a potential new coach you couldn't help but see it the past week. I don't know enough about that name but Paul alone is enough to set alarm bells ringing. (Jewell, Hurst, Lambert) Maybe he's very good , have seen one or two encouraging reviews but seems to have been without a club for some considerable time. If he's that golden then why hasn't someone come in and grabbed the opportunity.

He has been offered several jobs. But turned them down.

Blog: [Blog] This Club May Not Be Rotten But We Can't Carry On Like This

If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 09:30 - Feb 17 with 2688 viewsBloots

...in isolation, we should be fine.

The issue is that all his investment goes into the first team, because he won't spend money anywhere else.

This would get us by (nothing more) if there was a competent manager in charge, as we had with MM.

But as soon as a bad appointment is made and the 1st team starts to fail then all the cost cutting around the club comes home to roost.

The club is like a house of cards.......and it's collapsing.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Evans is the problem on 09:33 - Feb 17 with 2660 viewstheipswichfile

I do agree that Evans is the major problem with the club and has been for a very long time. Bad decision has followed bad decision.

The issue we have is that we don't look to be in any financial danger at the moment and that is also down to Evans. His business portfolio must have been hit pretty hard by the pandemic so that combined with a lack of revenue and reduced season ticket sales will probably serve to worsen our situation.

Nobody is going to want to take over the club in the state that it is in, well, you wouldn’t think so anyway. We do need a complete restructure in my opinion, but I just cannot see it happening until we get ourselves out of League One, one way or another.

Thoroughly depressing. I was 6 or 7 when we last played in Europe and since then it has just been a slow descent into obscurity. There have been occasional high points - play offs with Joe, beating Arsenal in the first leg of the league cup semis, and play offs with Mick.

For the most part though it's been pretty tragic. I'll always be a blue but I can't see a lot of those younger than me sticking around if nothing drastic changes with the club.
a castle made on sand innit (n/t) on 09:38 - Feb 17 with 2637 viewsDyland

If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 09:30 - Feb 17 by Bloots

The issue is that all his investment goes into the first team, because he won't spend money anywhere else.

This would get us by (nothing more) if there was a competent manager in charge, as we had with MM.

But as soon as a bad appointment is made and the 1st team starts to fail then all the cost cutting around the club comes home to roost.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Evans is the problem on 09:38 - Feb 17 with 2634 viewsMonkeyAlan

Evans IS the problem. Useless owner. Clueless when it comes to football. Although Lambert is a massive problem too. He has never been the answer as manager and his coaching staff are a joke.
If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 09:47 - Feb 17 with 2600 viewsjayessess

If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 09:30 - Feb 17 by Bloots

Can any club "get by" without a competent manager in charge?
I think we over-complicate things sometimes. Any club that lets a bad manager stay in post for 3 seasons is going to find themselves struggling.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 9:47]

Evans is the problem on 09:51 - Feb 17 with 2575 viewsmrshallisfit

Evans is the problem on 00:43 - Feb 17 by Illinoisblue

What is meant, specifically, by structure? What are we lacking?

Scouting
Fitness/Sports Science
Consistent style across 1st team/U23/Youths
Facilities

I’m sure we’re failing in all these categories and more. Wish Lambert had lost the plot completely tonight and expanded on what he means by “everything” being wrong.

Or perhaps he is lashing out anywhere because he is done. (I think structures at the club relating to recruitment, youth and health/injury have been neglected under Evan's as well).
Evans is the problem on 09:54 - Feb 17 with 2566 viewstractordownsouth

I agree, but Lambert can't blame the structure for being 11th in League 1 with a top 3 budget.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 10:14 - Feb 17 with 2526 viewsitfcjoe

If you take his investment into the 1st team..... on 09:47 - Feb 17 by jayessess

Can any club "get by" without a competent manager in charge?
I think we over-complicate things sometimes. Any club that lets a bad manager stay in post for 3 seasons is going to find themselves struggling.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 9:47]

Yep, this is the key - for all the structural failings Mick sat us in the top half of the Championship consistently because he was a good manager who got the best out of his resources.

Any manager who succeeds has to do that, Lambert doesn't

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Evans is the problem on 10:15 - Feb 17 with 2512 viewsSwansea_Blue

Always has been.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024