Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich city 13:30 - Feb 17 with 2535 viewsfergalsharkey

Smaller ground, smaller fan base, have to play in yellow , have Stephen fry as a celeb fan.
So how do they survive and flourish and we are such an utter fiasco?

2 words Marcus Evans.

Poll: Cook out?

Norwich city on 13:33 - Feb 17 with 2225 viewsJ2BLUE

I'd welcome Stephen Fry as a fan to be honest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Norwich city on 13:34 - Feb 17 with 2215 viewsTieDyedIn95

I hate to break it to you, but Norwich now has a much bigger fanbase then Town. They've had a lot to cheer, have swung many of the locals over, kids over and are growing rapidly.

Our fanbase has literally died off, we have a hardcore few, but the locals and surrounds tend to support the fashionable teams, the kids support the big clubs, the interest in Ipswich outside of us brave few and the immediate Ipswich based locals is very limited. I used to see thousands making their way to the games from where I live, now I see very few if any compared to days of old.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 13:35]

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Norwich city on 13:38 - Feb 17 with 2166 viewsBlueBlood90

Unfortunately they are an example of exactly what we should be aiming to be.

They made a big effort and invested heavily to get their academy up to scratch and a compiled a very good and broad scouting network.

You have to give them credit where it's due and say they are getting it right off the pitch which helps on the pitch in the long run.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Norwich city on 13:40 - Feb 17 with 2124 viewsTieDyedIn95

Norwich city on 13:38 - Feb 17 by BlueBlood90

They made a big effort and invested heavily to get their academy up to scratch and a compiled a very good and broad scouting network.

You have to give them credit where it's due and say they are getting it right off the pitch which helps on the pitch in the long run.

They also reduced their matchday prices when they dropped and got the kids in for a quid.

Our prices still went up!

Do you remember when Marcus refused a refund for those who'd bought tickets for a game with Middlesbrough a few years back that was snowed off, and just offered them half price if they bought another ticket.

That sums Evans up entirely.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Norwich city on 13:41 - Feb 17 with 2126 viewsHerbivore

Their off field structure gives them the chance to succeed. They've done comparatively well over the past 20 years now under a number of different managers, each with a different way of doing things. They are set up to help their manager to achieve well. They've had relatively few total failures, Bryan Gunn aside.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Norwich city on 13:42 - Feb 17 with 2105 viewsJackSted

dont diss my boy stephen fry like that

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Norwich city on 13:42 - Feb 17 with 2102 viewsHighgateBlue

Norwich city on 13:34 - Feb 17 by TieDyedIn95

I hate to break it to you, but Norwich now has a much bigger fanbase then Town. They've had a lot to cheer, have swung many of the locals over, kids over and are growing rapidly.

Our fanbase has literally died off, we have a hardcore few, but the locals and surrounds tend to support the fashionable teams, the kids support the big clubs, the interest in Ipswich outside of us brave few and the immediate Ipswich based locals is very limited. I used to see thousands making their way to the games from where I live, now I see very few if any compared to days of old.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 13:35]

This is true. "Died off" might be a bit strong, but we do have a smaller fanbase than Norwich.

One important aspect (amongst those younger than I) is their online presence. Norwich have FOUR TIMES as many twitter followers as we do. (722k versus 172k).

It's laughable to suggest they have a smaller fanbase, and I'm afraid Town fans need to form their opinions based on reality rather than assumptions based on rose-tinted spectacles.
Norwich city on 13:49 - Feb 17 with 2014 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

You are spot on BlueBlood90. After Delia had her 'lets be havin you rant' she and her husband have been good guardians of NCFC. Appointing a sound director of football and competing at a higher academy level than ITFC are in my opinion the two main advantages they have over us. As Mick Mills alluded to last evening they also had the guile and foresight to 'go foreign' with the managerial appointment.
They tried the 'old boy' route with management and it failed of course; it is always a risk, but I accept any managerial appointment is a risk.
Login to get fewer ads

Norwich city on 13:52 - Feb 17 with 1977 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Norwich city on 13:49 - Feb 17 by Timefliesbyintheblue

You are spot on BlueBlood90. After Delia had her 'lets be havin you rant' she and her husband have been good guardians of NCFC. Appointing a sound director of football and competing at a higher academy level than ITFC are in my opinion the two main advantages they have over us. As Mick Mills alluded to last evening they also had the guile and foresight to 'go foreign' with the managerial appointment.
They tried the 'old boy' route with management and it failed of course; it is always a risk, but I accept any managerial appointment is a risk.

Although it left her looking a bit daft, the rant showed that she cared about the club.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Norwich city on 13:53 - Feb 17 with 1963 viewsbournemouthblue

Norwich city on 13:42 - Feb 17 by HighgateBlue

This is true. "Died off" might be a bit strong, but we do have a smaller fanbase than Norwich.

One important aspect (amongst those younger than I) is their online presence. Norwich have FOUR TIMES as many twitter followers as we do. (722k versus 172k).

It's laughable to suggest they have a smaller fanbase, and I'm afraid Town fans need to form their opinions based on reality rather than assumptions based on rose-tinted spectacles.

This partly comes from some Premiership exposure, the club also seemed to be late to the Social Media Party so we are playing catch up

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Norwich city on 13:53 - Feb 17 with 1957 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I also think Ed Balls has been a good influence, bright guy and well connected.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Norwich city on 13:56 - Feb 17 with 1929 viewsHerbivore

Norwich city on 13:53 - Feb 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

I also think Ed Balls has been a good influence, bright guy and well connected.

Although he left his role at the club a while ago now I believe.

Norwich city on 13:59 - Feb 17 with 1891 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Norwich city on 13:56 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Although he left his role at the club a while ago now I believe.

No longer Chairman, but remains Club Ambassador and Vice President.

Was instrumental in changing the structure of the club.

Norwich city on 14:00 - Feb 17 with 1887 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Norwich city on 13:33 - Feb 17 by J2BLUE

I hope they don't welcome him back if (ok, when) they win promotion at the end of the season. He completely bailed on them when they were in the Championship. From a Director to "Oh, THIS, Saturday, oh no, my diary seems to be full. I'd love to sometime, but you'll have to speak to my agent." in the time it takes for Van Wolfswinkel to pass to nobody.

https://images.app.goo.gl/g4cM828Lfzth3Rtm7
Norwich city on 14:03 - Feb 17 with 1856 viewsHighgateBlue

Norwich city on 13:53 - Feb 17 by bournemouthblue

This partly comes from some Premiership exposure, the club also seemed to be late to the Social Media Party so we are playing catch up

Yes I agree on both counts. But I do think it matters. It's not the be-all-and-end-all, but it's indicative of the size of a fanbase. Their Premier League exposure has not just swelled twitter follower numbers, it's swelled actual fan numbers too. And I'm not sure what ITFC are doing to "catch up" on social media. The disparity has been evident for a good few years and we've not got any closer. Neither has there been any news of which I am aware that indicates that we've put more effort or investment into our online presence than previously. And I don't count PE lessons from a pantomime horse, I'm afraid...
Norwich city on 14:03 - Feb 17 with 1838 viewsTJS

I still think both fanbases are actually very similar in potential and demographics.
Geographically they may have a slight advantage with no other league clubs within a 1 hour drive or train ride and their population is slightly higher.
We had built up to an average of 25k around 2003 based on 4-5 years of decent football in Division One and one brilliant Premier League season.
Sadly it all comes down to sustaining consecutive seasons of decent results which is something we have completely failed to do since about 2005.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 14:07]
Norwich city on 14:05 - Feb 17 with 1819 viewsNthQldITFC

It's the gene pool that's smaller, not the fan base.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Norwich city on 14:05 - Feb 17 with 1812 viewsHerbivore

Norwich city on 14:03 - Feb 17 by HighgateBlue

Yes I agree on both counts. But I do think it matters. It's not the be-all-and-end-all, but it's indicative of the size of a fanbase. Their Premier League exposure has not just swelled twitter follower numbers, it's swelled actual fan numbers too. And I'm not sure what ITFC are doing to "catch up" on social media. The disparity has been evident for a good few years and we've not got any closer. Neither has there been any news of which I am aware that indicates that we've put more effort or investment into our online presence than previously. And I don't count PE lessons from a pantomime horse, I'm afraid...

We have far bigger things to worry about than our disparity in social media followers and presence.

Norwich city on 14:06 - Feb 17 with 1803 viewsMeadowlark

Blimey. This forum has turned into a budgie love-in!
No-one has mentioned that they have been very lucky with parachute payments. These have allowed them to do all the other stuff.
What I don't get is all the hate from Norfolk, and the trolling on Twitter etc. It shows that they know they are still inferior I guess?
Norwich city on 14:07 - Feb 17 with 1779 viewshaynes_toe1

Norwich city on 14:05 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

We have far bigger things to worry about than our disparity in social media followers and presence.

Yeah that's something we can probably work on when we're not midtable in League One, in all fairness.
Norwich city on 14:08 - Feb 17 with 1768 viewsHerbivore

Norwich city on 14:06 - Feb 17 by Meadowlark

No-one has mentioned that they have been very lucky with parachute payments. These have allowed them to do all the other stuff.
What I don't get is all the hate from Norfolk, and the trolling on Twitter etc. It shows that they know they are still inferior I guess?

Is it luck? They got parachute payments because they got to the Premier League in the first place. We'd have got them too if we'd managed to get promoted.

Norwich city on 14:18 - Feb 17 with 1693 viewsBlueBlood90

Norwich city on 14:08 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Is it luck? They got parachute payments because they got to the Premier League in the first place. We'd have got them too if we'd managed to get promoted.

I agree. They had to get back to back promotions to even make the parachute payments become relevant.

Although, we were very unlucky with the timing of our relegation and missing out on the parachute payments era.

I'm sure our story would be quite different now if we'd been able to keep the likes of Holland, Stewart, Bent, Hreidarsson etc instead of selling them for peanuts and going into administration.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Norwich city on 14:25 - Feb 17 with 1628 viewsOlly

Norwich city on 14:06 - Feb 17 by Meadowlark

To be honest, they are one of many examples of a club you could name that are showing us up...just happens to be more pertinent being our main rivals.

Parachute payments are a big advantage yes, but you still have to take advantage of them and there are numerous examples of clubs pissing them up the wall. Sunderland were getting them in League One, and still couldn't manage to get up from this god forsaken league!
Norwich city on 14:46 - Feb 17 with 1546 viewsquirkie

They are at the pinnacle of what they can achieve, a yo yo club between the Premier league and the Championship. Fair play to them but lets not get carried away, they'll never be up their challenging for the title or be mainstay in Europe year after year.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Norwich city on 14:48 - Feb 17 with 1533 viewsSwansea_Blue

Norwich city on 13:33 - Feb 17 by J2BLUE

We've got the Melchett version of him running the club.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024