Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rules on signing overseas players. 15:45 - Feb 17 with 799 viewsMattinLondon

What with Brexit have the rules on signing overseas players changed? I think UK clubs see only allowed to sign over EU players who are over 18ys. But could we still sign a Wilnes, Petta or Tarricco now? Obviously that’ll require a scouting network and competent staff.

Think I read that the rules have not changed in terms of signing EU nationals except they have to be over 18 (and possibly clubs are restricted to only six EU signings per season?
Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:52 - Feb 17 with 776 viewsBasuco

I think EU players now need to have a certain number of international appearances to qualify to play in the UK, might be wrong.
Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:55 - Feb 17 with 757 viewsDanTheMan

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:52 - Feb 17 by Basuco

I think EU players now need to have a certain number of international appearances to qualify to play in the UK, might be wrong.

That's about right, realistically that's as close as we're going to get to any non-UK player.

There are other rules regarding transfer fees but they're all at the very top end of the market to make it easier for the Premier League to work around. Also some rules about playing in certain divisions, you get some points towards that as well but I doubt we'd be able to afford anyone like that given where we are.

We're going to have to look basically only domestically.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:56 - Feb 17 with 747 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU nationals (and UK nationals moving to the EU) are now treated similar to how non-EU international players are. So there's a points based systems based on things like the player's international caps and the FIFA ranking of his home country. And yes, they've also capped the number of those players a club can sign in one season to 6.

I don't know about the Wines or Petta examples as i don't know how the points work. Neither had international caps, so I'm guessing it's unlikely we could bring players like those in now. I could be wrong though. Treacle wouldn't be any different today, unless the rule have since changed for non-EU internationals.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:57 - Feb 17 with 740 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:55 - Feb 17 by DanTheMan

That's about right, realistically that's as close as we're going to get to any non-UK player.

There are other rules regarding transfer fees but they're all at the very top end of the market to make it easier for the Premier League to work around. Also some rules about playing in certain divisions, you get some points towards that as well but I doubt we'd be able to afford anyone like that given where we are.

Or sign rising international stars with a dozen caps to their name. Def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:09 - Feb 17 with 717 viewsfloridablue

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:56 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

EU nationals (and UK nationals moving to the EU) are now treated similar to how non-EU international players are. So there's a points based systems based on things like the player's international caps and the FIFA ranking of his home country. And yes, they've also capped the number of those players a club can sign in one season to 6.

I don't know about the Wines or Petta examples as i don't know how the points work. Neither had international caps, so I'm guessing it's unlikely we could bring players like those in now. I could be wrong though. Treacle wouldn't be any different today, unless the rule have since changed for non-EU internationals.

About a month back, Barnsley signed a young Orlando City striker on loan till the end of the season with an option to buy. He had just made his International debut and highly rated, so might have something to do with being allowed to join EFL.
Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:19 - Feb 17 with 698 viewsMattinLondon

Great, so ageing journeymen it is then.
Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:22 - Feb 17 with 688 viewsTieDyedIn95

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:56 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

Treacle had an Italian passport didn't he?

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:25 - Feb 17 with 680 viewsMattinLondon

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:22 - Feb 17 by TieDyedIn95

Treacle had an Italian passport didn't he?

Yes. But presumably he wouldn't have met the new points based system if Brexit happened in the early 90s.
Login to get fewer ads

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:27 - Feb 17 with 673 viewsTieDyedIn95

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:25 - Feb 17 by MattinLondon

Yes. But presumably he wouldn't have met the new points based system if Brexit happened in the early 90s.

Yeah but we'd have gotten a few quid more for Kiwomya!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:35 - Feb 17 with 665 viewsMattinLondon

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:27 - Feb 17 by TieDyedIn95

Yeah but we'd have gotten a few quid more for Kiwomya!

Possibly. Depends how the market pans out in terms of English players who aren’t good enough for the international squad.
Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:36 - Feb 17 with 659 viewsMattinLondon

Rules on signing overseas players. on 15:57 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

Or sign rising international stars with a dozen caps to their name. Def info.

Are we resigning Bontcho?
Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:53 - Feb 17 with 636 viewssoupytwist

There's a good episode of Guardian Football Weekly on this very topic if you have an hour to spare. It's interesting and thorough.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2021/jan/12/what-brexit-means-for-foo
Rules on signing overseas players. on 18:48 - Feb 17 with 583 viewsMattinLondon

Rules on signing overseas players. on 16:53 - Feb 17 by soupytwist

There's a good episode of Guardian Football Weekly on this very topic if you have an hour to spare. It's interesting and thorough.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2021/jan/12/what-brexit-means-for-foo

Thanks.
Rules on signing overseas players. on 19:23 - Feb 17 with 558 viewsFreddies_Ears

Fat Sam had a real whinge about how Brexit was stopping him signing the players he needs. Irony alert, he was - of course - a vocal Brexiteer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024