Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Drysdale Affair ... 21:29 - Feb 17 with 1323 viewsEl_Fenix

I doubt that anything much will come of it. Having watched events unfold several times, at 25% speed on iFollow, here is my interpretation:

Alan Judge approached the referee, raised his left arm, and jabbed a finger towards the referee's face, albeit with no intention of making physical contact. The referee reacted instinctively to Judge's aggressive behaviour. The referee is several inches taller than Judge. As a result his reaction, as captured in an iconic photograph, looks more aggressive than it really was.

Flynn Downes then grasped the referee, turned him partially around and pushed him with his body. Downes ought to have been sent off at that point. Some Northampton players sought to prevent any physical confrontation. Any physical contact they had with the referee was accidental and incidental.

Alan Judge has been playing well for several weeks and could have been awarded a penalty. Without condoning his behaviour, I understand his frustration. The behaviour of Flynn Downes, as team captain, was both incomprehensible and shocking to me.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

The Drysdale Affair ... on 21:30 - Feb 17 with 1297 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The Drysdale Affair ... on 05:44 - Feb 18 with 1196 viewsEl_Fenix

I'm impressed with the way that Alan Judge is handling the situation.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/february/judge-on-referee-charge/

Alan Judge's display of maturity has caused me to ponder an important question: Who should captain the team? Luke Chambers is no longer a first-team regular and Flynn Downes is immature and hot headed. Who else could fill the role? There are few obvious candidates.

If I were to become the new manager, I would appoint Alan Judge as captain. He is an experienced and mature professional. During the past few weeks, during a difficult time for the team, he has played with energy and commitment and has shown that he is still an excellent performer when playing in a central role. Alan Judge could potentially play the role for ITFC that Johnny Giles used to play for the great Leeds United teams of past decades.

Having appointed Judge as captain, I would solicit his inputs and suggestions regarding team personnel and tactics. I would want to get Norwood fit and capable of functioning for 90 minutes, and would expect to play Edwards and Nolan regularly. I would release Chambers, Skuse and Sears when their contracts expire, thereby achieving a clean break with the McCarthy era; and I would try to salvage and rekindle the energy and enthusiasm of Bishop, Downes, Dozell, Lankester, Wolfenden, Dobra and El Mizouni.

In League One, I would be willing to play Kenlock, Wilson, and Nsiala as three members of a no-frills back four. Because Josh Emmanuel was released, and Janoi Donacien was banished, I would need either KVY to come back from his injuries, or to find another RB.

I would work cheap and would nae make excuses. Whaddya think, Marcus?

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:20 - Feb 18 with 1086 viewsRadlett_blue

Of course, you don't know what Judge actually said to the referee. If you really want to annoy a referee, call him a cheat. Most will accept that they make incorrect decisions from time to time & can handle general abuse, but impugning their integrity (which calling them a cheat implies) really gets them riled.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:30 - Feb 18 with 1058 viewsclive_baker

The Drysdale Affair ... on 05:44 - Feb 18 by El_Fenix

Alan Judge's display of maturity has caused me to ponder an important question: Who should captain the team? Luke Chambers is no longer a first-team regular and Flynn Downes is immature and hot headed. Who else could fill the role? There are few obvious candidates.

If I were to become the new manager, I would appoint Alan Judge as captain. He is an experienced and mature professional. During the past few weeks, during a difficult time for the team, he has played with energy and commitment and has shown that he is still an excellent performer when playing in a central role. Alan Judge could potentially play the role for ITFC that Johnny Giles used to play for the great Leeds United teams of past decades.

Having appointed Judge as captain, I would solicit his inputs and suggestions regarding team personnel and tactics. I would want to get Norwood fit and capable of functioning for 90 minutes, and would expect to play Edwards and Nolan regularly. I would release Chambers, Skuse and Sears when their contracts expire, thereby achieving a clean break with the McCarthy era; and I would try to salvage and rekindle the energy and enthusiasm of Bishop, Downes, Dozell, Lankester, Wolfenden, Dobra and El Mizouni.

In League One, I would be willing to play Kenlock, Wilson, and Nsiala as three members of a no-frills back four. Because Josh Emmanuel was released, and Janoi Donacien was banished, I would need either KVY to come back from his injuries, or to find another RB.

With the exception of a few, Judge being one of them, we really do seem like a team of kids at the moment. I don't necessarily mean that in terms of average age, although that's no doubt a factor, but just how we carry and conduct ourselves. It's so petulant at times. When I think back to the successful Town side under Burley they all seemed like proper blokes. The same under MM, with Murphy, Skuse, McGoldrick, Berra, Smith, Hunt x 2, Tabb etc. Proper blokes, and even the younger lads in that set up like Mings, Spence etc played with a maturity. They were operating in a structure where they knew they had to, the footballing side was such a well run operation by Mick.

Today it's like watching kids football, stupid fouls, dissent, red cards. It really is so poor. It's partly a reliance on younger players who have some growing up to do, but even the senior pros we have now like Holy and Norwood just seem so immature in how they go about it. There's such an obvious leadership vacuum in the club. It's like watching a rudderless ship bobbing about, which has to come down to the management.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:30 - Feb 18 with 1054 viewstownblue

I like the way judge has handled this, but not sure I'd make him captain when he has consistently underperformed since he joined us, apart from his most recent two games.
The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:39 - Feb 18 with 1038 viewstractorboy1978

The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:30 - Feb 18 by townblue

I like the way judge has handled this, but not sure I'd make him captain when he has consistently underperformed since he joined us, apart from his most recent two games.

Doesn't it boil back to the point that a lot of this side we only know being managed by PL? (the worst manager in our history). I've been as frustrated as anyone watching Judge play with a complete lack of positional discipline but he's just trying to get on the ball and make things happen in a side which is set-up in a manner that is barely functional a lot of the time.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2021 9:40]
The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:47 - Feb 18 with 1019 viewsWallingford_Boy

That's Flynn Downes for you, he doesn't seem the sharpest tool.

The lad has talent, lots of it, I just wonder where his career will go, longer term.

I assume he will leave this summer, probably to the Championship, but could see him easily losing his way and spending his career at that level, in and out of a side, suspensions, etc.

RIP Sir Bobby

The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:04 - Feb 18 with 996 viewsBerkshire_Blue

Lambert told talksport that he had privately messaged EFL head of referees Mike Jones to ask for an investigation into Drysdale, so not an official complaint from the club, just the manager sneaking around behind people’s backs. I thought the ref had a decent game in the face of severe provocation and deserves a break. Even Judge, who sparked it, said he felt the matter was closed, although if he said something out of turn to the ref, he could have been reported anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:33 - Feb 18 with 962 viewsJuggsy

I have friends who work with Darren at RAF Waddington who all say he is a really laid back guy and this is so out of character. He gives speeches on pressure and mental fitness within the forces ironically.

I hate to think what Judge said to make him react in that way. I find it little wonder that Judge wants whatever happened to be closed.

Personally I find this an embarrassing reflection for the state of our club and players.
The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:35 - Feb 18 with 951 viewsWeWereZombies

The Drysdale Affair ... on 09:47 - Feb 18 by Wallingford_Boy

That's Flynn Downes for you, he doesn't seem the sharpest tool.

The lad has talent, lots of it, I just wonder where his career will go, longer term.

I assume he will leave this summer, probably to the Championship, but could see him easily losing his way and spending his career at that level, in and out of a side, suspensions, etc.

Although many good players started their league careers with a season or two of hot headed behaviour, Wayne Rooney being perhaps the best known example. An apparently bad tempered young git who calms down and matures into a great leader on the pitch (and in the case of Gordon Strachan a very decent manager when their playing days are over) is always a feel good story. Maybe Downes has just been given the captaincy way too early.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:39 - Feb 18 with 936 viewsSwansea_Blue

lol

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:59 - Feb 18 with 905 viewsRadlett_blue

The Drysdale Affair ... on 10:39 - Feb 18 by Swansea_Blue

lol

Well, back in the 1970s Gordon Hill was a top referee & known for his unconventional approach, whereby he didn't mind players swearing at him (plenty of refs would send you off for swearing at them in those days) but he would equally swear back at them. Nowadays, most refs seem to accept swearing & general dissent as part of the job. Important that a referee remains calm, though - which Drysdale clearly didn't.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Drysdale Affair ... on 12:01 - Feb 18 with 860 viewssolemio

Wordsworth may say that. MIlton never would. As for Craig Shakespeare he wouldn't even contemplate it.
The Drysdale Affair ... on 12:05 - Feb 18 with 856 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Flynn Downes hasn't wanted to be here all season. We should have just sold, he'd have wasted his career like so many who we end up signing like Huws and Garbutt making money as squad numbers and playing U23 football.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024