Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish 11:36 - Feb 19 with 904 viewsnoubledooble

He’s a multimillionaire and can easily afford to pay Lambert off. Yes it would be really annoying for him but it’s his own mistake. These things will happen in his other businesses people getting pay offs. If money really was the issue why did he not sell Jackson? He had an offer for Donacian but only wanted him to go on loan. He could have let Nolan go on loan. Instead of any of those he actually went out and got more loan players in to our over bloated squad. None of it makes sense. For me he’s backed Lambert way more than he deserved.
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 11:37 - Feb 19 with 881 viewsBluefish

You can easily afford to give me £50 but I doubt you are going to

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 11:42 - Feb 19 with 854 viewsnoubledooble

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 11:37 - Feb 19 by Bluefish

You can easily afford to give me £50 but I doubt you are going to

Just makes no sense does it? Instead of paying him off he actually in effect spent extra on loan players that really we didn’t need.
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 11:48 - Feb 19 with 842 viewsBloomBlue

Maybe it's simply cheaper if he waits. If you could buy # for £1000 now or wait a few weeks and it would cost you £100 and you're not desperate for # would you wait?

Maybe the famous clause which apparently exists in Lamberts contract means if Evans waits a few weeks it's a lot cheaper to sack him. For the fans that wait isn't acceptable but for ME a £1million or so (or whatever it is) maybe is a big difference in the middle of a pandemic.

As others have said a lot will be driven by season ticket sales, if he waits until the last minute saves himself a few £s then appoints a new manager lets say for example Dyer would season tickets sales be as good as last season? Maybe he's working on the basis they would be
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 12:27 - Feb 19 with 800 viewsGuthrum

His companies are valued at many millions. Does not mean he has even a few million spare cash to spend on a football club (more than he does already).

Rich list wealth does not equal spending money.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 13:42 - Feb 19 with 738 viewsdirtyboy

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 12:27 - Feb 19 by Guthrum

His companies are valued at many millions. Does not mean he has even a few million spare cash to spend on a football club (more than he does already).

Rich list wealth does not equal spending money.

I can technically afford to throw ten grand into the river, but i'm not going to because it might be better used elsewhere.

If he can avoid paying off Lambert, then he will. He's hanging to his pennies for dear life!
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 13:48 - Feb 19 with 711 viewswkj

Rich people don't become rich simply by amassing wealth, they are savvy about how the spend it.

It is really easy to lose a fortune with a bad investment, let alone a series of them. For someone who makes their money in hospitality, I am not shocked he would be extra frugal in a time like this.

To be clear though, I am not backing Evans as a good chairman, just conveying my understanding for him being fiscally cautious at the moment.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:03 - Feb 19 with 691 viewsRadlett_blue

1. when Evans gave Lambert his 5 year contract, I'm sure there's a performance clause which means he can be fired without a pay-off. I guess it could be if Town don't make the play-offs so why fire him now & pay him off, given that this season is essentially done, if you can get rid of him for nothing in a few weeks?
2. I guess Jackson wasn't sold as Lambert (for some perverse reason) didn't want him sold or maybe Evans dislikes selling players at a loss & maybe that's why Donacien wasn't sold.
3. I guess Lambert didn't want to let Nolan go. Most managers would rather keep a player around just in case they're needed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:22 - Feb 19 with 625 viewsJ2BLUE

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:03 - Feb 19 by Radlett_blue

1. when Evans gave Lambert his 5 year contract, I'm sure there's a performance clause which means he can be fired without a pay-off. I guess it could be if Town don't make the play-offs so why fire him now & pay him off, given that this season is essentially done, if you can get rid of him for nothing in a few weeks?
2. I guess Jackson wasn't sold as Lambert (for some perverse reason) didn't want him sold or maybe Evans dislikes selling players at a loss & maybe that's why Donacien wasn't sold.
3. I guess Lambert didn't want to let Nolan go. Most managers would rather keep a player around just in case they're needed.

I agree with many points in this thread but if we're talking about a reduced pay off it has to be spoken about in the context of another season in league one with the reduction in income that comes with it. I think most would have fancied our chances if Cook/Cowleys has been brought in a couple of months ago.

The really worrying thing is that Evans took this stance before the salary cap was withdrawn so he was prepared to potentially risk a long stay in league one to avoid a pay off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:32 - Feb 19 with 598 viewsjayessess

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 11:48 - Feb 19 by BloomBlue

Maybe it's simply cheaper if he waits. If you could buy # for £1000 now or wait a few weeks and it would cost you £100 and you're not desperate for # would you wait?

Maybe the famous clause which apparently exists in Lamberts contract means if Evans waits a few weeks it's a lot cheaper to sack him. For the fans that wait isn't acceptable but for ME a £1million or so (or whatever it is) maybe is a big difference in the middle of a pandemic.

As others have said a lot will be driven by season ticket sales, if he waits until the last minute saves himself a few £s then appoints a new manager lets say for example Dyer would season tickets sales be as good as last season? Maybe he's working on the basis they would be

At this point I can't see that waiting for any release clause saves Evans much money.

Let's say in Scenario 1 the contract has a "miss the top 6 and you don't get a pay out" clause. Well, at this point, Lambert, unless he's totally delusional, must know that the chances of us making the top 6 aren't great statistically (about 15% right now, less than 1 in 6). Which means the sensible thing for him to do would be to come to a mutual agreement and guarantee himself at least some of that money.

Or Scenario 2 the contract has a time-related break clause after 2 years, so he gets paid his money up to January 2022 regardless of when he's sacked. In this scenario we're still paying him that money week by week anyway. Paying him off just varies the timetable for when he gets the money. The only additional costs we incur are the wages of his replacement.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:38 - Feb 19 with 584 viewstractorboy1978

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:32 - Feb 19 by jayessess

At this point I can't see that waiting for any release clause saves Evans much money.

Let's say in Scenario 1 the contract has a "miss the top 6 and you don't get a pay out" clause. Well, at this point, Lambert, unless he's totally delusional, must know that the chances of us making the top 6 aren't great statistically (about 15% right now, less than 1 in 6). Which means the sensible thing for him to do would be to come to a mutual agreement and guarantee himself at least some of that money.

Or Scenario 2 the contract has a time-related break clause after 2 years, so he gets paid his money up to January 2022 regardless of when he's sacked. In this scenario we're still paying him that money week by week anyway. Paying him off just varies the timetable for when he gets the money. The only additional costs we incur are the wages of his replacement.

You can guarantee Lambert won't leave without the maximum he is entitled to. He's got form for it.
I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:43 - Feb 19 with 561 viewsjayessess

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:38 - Feb 19 by tractorboy1978

You can guarantee Lambert won't leave without the maximum he is entitled to. He's got form for it.

I've no doubt of that. But if the choice is:

(a) leave by mutual agreement and get some money guaranteed

or (b) 85% chance of getting absolutely nothing

Then you'd have to be pretty reckless to not consider (a).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:59 - Feb 19 with 543 viewsRadlett_blue

I’m not having this Evans can’t afford to sack him rubbish on 14:22 - Feb 19 by J2BLUE

I agree with many points in this thread but if we're talking about a reduced pay off it has to be spoken about in the context of another season in league one with the reduction in income that comes with it. I think most would have fancied our chances if Cook/Cowleys has been brought in a couple of months ago.

The really worrying thing is that Evans took this stance before the salary cap was withdrawn so he was prepared to potentially risk a long stay in league one to avoid a pay off.

I think it hard to envisage that any vaguely experienced manager would have done worse than Lambert with the resources at his disposal. But sadly that's in the past. This season is now a write-off & I don't see the desperation to get rid, but as Lambert appears to be alienating plenty of the players, it's hard to see performances improving. Lambert's recent ramblings seem to imply that he realises that the game is up & I can only assume next week's meeting with Evans will involve some discussion about a mutually acceptable severance package for Lambert (and presumably his trusty lieutenants, which adds to the cost).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024