Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick's at it again (n/t) 15:10 - Feb 20 with 3723 viewsHarry_Palmer

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 17:54 - Feb 20 with 674 viewsHerbivore

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 17:51 - Feb 20 by positivity

with the benefit of hindsight, definitely.

at the time it'd been brave, but we were on a run of 7 without a win, managers have been sacked for less! the 1-0 home loss against rotherham (one of the worst teams in championship history) was a sackable offence on it's own!

Unfortunately decisions can't be taken in hindsight. It would have been harsh to sack him after a run of finishing 9th, 6th, and 7th in the Championship. I imagine had we done so we'd have ended up in League 1 even sooner.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:00 - Feb 20 with 663 viewsjeera

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 16:12 - Feb 20 by SuperCoops

Mick did well here at the start, just as he doing at Cardiff.

But frankly, nobody really cares. We are in 2021. Move on now.

You care enough to comment. You don't have to open a thread.

People feel entitled to vent their frustrations and it only seems to ever be those who secretly feel a bit responsible who have a problem with it.

It doesn't bother me and I wish the bloke all the best frankly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:04 - Feb 20 with 652 viewspositivity

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 17:54 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Unfortunately decisions can't be taken in hindsight. It would have been harsh to sack him after a run of finishing 9th, 6th, and 7th in the Championship. I imagine had we done so we'd have ended up in League 1 even sooner.

my argument was that IF he'd have gone 2 years earlier, it'd have been a good thing, not that i'd have made the call then. it was all about hindsight.

if we'd avoided the angst of the next 2 years, the slow descent into boredom, the slow desertion of fans, no coke, no douglas, we'd have been happier.

if we'd have gone for evolution rather than revolution (that hurst was meant to bring), we should have stayed up and who knows, maybe kept mcgoldrick etc and prospered

sliding doors and all that, but i don't think we'd have sunk lower by making the call earlier

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:09 - Feb 20 with 637 viewsHerbivore

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:04 - Feb 20 by positivity

my argument was that IF he'd have gone 2 years earlier, it'd have been a good thing, not that i'd have made the call then. it was all about hindsight.

if we'd avoided the angst of the next 2 years, the slow descent into boredom, the slow desertion of fans, no coke, no douglas, we'd have been happier.

if we'd have gone for evolution rather than revolution (that hurst was meant to bring), we should have stayed up and who knows, maybe kept mcgoldrick etc and prospered

sliding doors and all that, but i don't think we'd have sunk lower by making the call earlier

I think we would have sunk. If Mick had some in the summer of 2016 we'd still have lost Murphy and likely have struggled to replace him. We might not have got someone like Lawrence in on loan to offer enough to help us stay up safely. Mick was working under significant constraints here and it's not just any manager that can get a team doing well in those circumstances. The fans were, bizarrely, happier in 2018/19 as we went down without a fight. That doesn't mean the club is or was in a better place.

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:16 - Feb 20 with 609 viewspositivity

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:09 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

I think we would have sunk. If Mick had some in the summer of 2016 we'd still have lost Murphy and likely have struggled to replace him. We might not have got someone like Lawrence in on loan to offer enough to help us stay up safely. Mick was working under significant constraints here and it's not just any manager that can get a team doing well in those circumstances. The fans were, bizarrely, happier in 2018/19 as we went down without a fight. That doesn't mean the club is or was in a better place.

not any manager, sure, but more than just mick.

plenty of managers have kept teams in the championship with far more constraints and far less backing than mick had. the frasers and lawrences of this world don't come cheap and our wage bill was pretty decent

we'll never know, but i'm glad he's not still with us!

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:20 - Feb 20 with 595 viewsHerbivore

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:16 - Feb 20 by positivity

not any manager, sure, but more than just mick.

plenty of managers have kept teams in the championship with far more constraints and far less backing than mick had. the frasers and lawrences of this world don't come cheap and our wage bill was pretty decent

we'll never know, but i'm glad he's not still with us!

Our wage bill was bottom third in the league. Even the season we finished 16th we technically over achieved relative to our budget. We've seen since that managers who can do what Mick does aren't ten a penny, and how he's started off at Cardiff shows his quality as a manager. I also agree by the way that he had to go but I actually think when he left he left us in a better place than if he'd left in 2016 or 2017. The squad he left was decent, much better than in the 2 years beforehand.

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:27 - Feb 20 with 576 viewspositivity

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:20 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

Our wage bill was bottom third in the league. Even the season we finished 16th we technically over achieved relative to our budget. We've seen since that managers who can do what Mick does aren't ten a penny, and how he's started off at Cardiff shows his quality as a manager. I also agree by the way that he had to go but I actually think when he left he left us in a better place than if he'd left in 2016 or 2017. The squad he left was decent, much better than in the 2 years beforehand.

what year was our wage bill bottom third? all of them? that's interesting, but still doesn't change my view that plenty of other managers have done better with less.

i'd judge mccarthy's managerial skills after more than 8 games at cardiff, his record at his previous 2 jobs (and the last 6 months at ipswich) don't strike me as that of a world-beater!

i reckon they'll make the playoffs, lose and he'll be gone next season. cardiff aren't as patient as us...

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:45 - Feb 20 with 542 viewsBloomBlue

Cardiff going well but Brentford going backwards with 3 defeats in a row, they imploded last season in Feb which is why they missed out on automatic promotion.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:55 - Feb 20 with 528 viewsHerbivore

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:27 - Feb 20 by positivity

what year was our wage bill bottom third? all of them? that's interesting, but still doesn't change my view that plenty of other managers have done better with less.

i'd judge mccarthy's managerial skills after more than 8 games at cardiff, his record at his previous 2 jobs (and the last 6 months at ipswich) don't strike me as that of a world-beater!

i reckon they'll make the playoffs, lose and he'll be gone next season. cardiff aren't as patient as us...

Our wage bill was bottom third for most of his time here. The figures are all available. Who are all these managers that were doing better than Mick on a smaller budget out of interest? It's weird that some still can't see what a good manager he is.

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:59 - Feb 20 with 514 viewstextbackup

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 16:45 - Feb 20 by Bluefish

Typical mick trying to nick a 1 nil

not a mick dig, but didn't our only 4-0 win come when he was off sick, with TC in the dugout?
or have I got that wrong

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 00:08 - Feb 21 with 444 viewsdominiciawful

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 18:59 - Feb 20 by textbackup

not a mick dig, but didn't our only 4-0 win come when he was off sick, with TC in the dugout?
or have I got that wrong

Yes, I think that's right, 4-0 vs Middlesbrough with Smith getting two - February 2013?

The other times we scored more than three in a game under him that I can think of were:

4-4 at Derby

4-1 at home to Leeds
4-2 at Brentford
4-2 at home to Birmingham

5-2 at Rotherham

4-3 at Millwall
5-2 at home to Sunderland
4-2 at home to Forest

Actually more than I thought there were when I first considered it. We then won 4-0 at Reading under Klug.

I think the only two occasions on which we've scored six since 2004/05 were Bristol City and Doncaster (A). Before that we seemed to hit six every season, or so it felt.

Edit: 4-1 AET win at Doncaster in the League Cup with James Alabi getting one.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 0:10]

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 00:19 - Feb 21 with 431 viewsistanblue

For me, the takeaway of Mick succeeding at Cardiff should be that Evans and the lack of drive/infrastructure at ITFC is what stopped us getting promoted during his time here.
Mick's at it again (n/t) on 05:44 - Feb 21 with 391 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 00:19 - Feb 21 by istanblue

For me, the takeaway of Mick succeeding at Cardiff should be that Evans and the lack of drive/infrastructure at ITFC is what stopped us getting promoted during his time here.

He hasn't started off much differently there compared to us. 5 wins in first 7 with Cardiff, 5 in first 8 with us, although we did have a couple of thumping losses in that time and they drew the other two. So I don't think you can read too much into it yet. But it's certainly a great start, no doubt about that.

Good luck to him. He saved us from Jewell's incompetence and had a good go at getting us up and then ran out of steam and we all got ground down by the experience in the end. I'm more worried about the Harris link. He started well enough at Cardiff but it went sour very quickly. They were awful under him in general.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 07:58 - Feb 21 with 347 viewsHerbivore

Mick's at it again (n/t) on 05:44 - Feb 21 by Swansea_Blue

He hasn't started off much differently there compared to us. 5 wins in first 7 with Cardiff, 5 in first 8 with us, although we did have a couple of thumping losses in that time and they drew the other two. So I don't think you can read too much into it yet. But it's certainly a great start, no doubt about that.

Good luck to him. He saved us from Jewell's incompetence and had a good go at getting us up and then ran out of steam and we all got ground down by the experience in the end. I'm more worried about the Harris link. He started well enough at Cardiff but it went sour very quickly. They were awful under him in general.

It would be peak Evans, after all the talk about wanting attractive passing football, if we went and appointed Harris whenever Lambert does eventually get the boot.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024