Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 22:35 - Feb 20 with 1631 viewsElderGrizzly

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 22:50 - Feb 20 with 1473 viewsChurchman

Wow, that’s amazing footage. Fortunately engines letting go like this are extremely rare these days. Also the measures in place for fire suppression, the power of these engines (meaning a twin like a 777 can fly easily on one engine) and the strength of design means that modern aircraft can usually withstand serious problems such as this when they occur.

Given they should find all the parts and they have the aircraft they should be able to source the problem easily enough.

I must say that had I been looking out of that window, a drink or two when it got down would have been necessary - and a change of trousers!
United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 22:55 - Feb 20 with 1439 viewsNthsuffolkblue

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 22:50 - Feb 20 by Churchman

Wow, that’s amazing footage. Fortunately engines letting go like this are extremely rare these days. Also the measures in place for fire suppression, the power of these engines (meaning a twin like a 777 can fly easily on one engine) and the strength of design means that modern aircraft can usually withstand serious problems such as this when they occur.

Given they should find all the parts and they have the aircraft they should be able to source the problem easily enough.

I must say that had I been looking out of that window, a drink or two when it got down would have been necessary - and a change of trousers!

Amazing that the engines run at temperatures above the melting point of the titanium the blades are made from - not something those flying and of a nervous disposition want to hear!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 23:34 - Feb 20 with 1309 viewsChurchman

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 22:55 - Feb 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Amazing that the engines run at temperatures above the melting point of the titanium the blades are made from - not something those flying and of a nervous disposition want to hear!

Yes, but the blades are at the front of the engine so not subject to the explosive heat of the main part. The fan blades are actually far better than they ever used to be, thanks to modern technology and the ability to make them flawlessly.
United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:20 - Feb 21 with 1223 viewsGuthrum

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 23:34 - Feb 20 by Churchman

Yes, but the blades are at the front of the engine so not subject to the explosive heat of the main part. The fan blades are actually far better than they ever used to be, thanks to modern technology and the ability to make them flawlessly.

And, particularly, modern methods of detecting any flaws or damage before they become an issue, as part of fairly routine maintenance.

The fan blade breakage containment tests are truly spectacular.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:22 - Feb 21 with 1217 viewsNthsuffolkblue

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 23:34 - Feb 20 by Churchman

I am fairly reliably informed it is quite a feat of engineering design to keep them cool still.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:35 - Feb 21 with 1175 viewsGuthrum

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:22 - Feb 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am fairly reliably informed it is quite a feat of engineering design to keep them cool still.

It's the turbine blades, towards the rear of the engine (and driving the fan/compressor stages), which have the most significant heating issues. The Soviet MiG25 fighter-reconnaisance plane could just about exceed three times the speed of sound by running the (huge) engines flat out, but would damage them beyond re-use in the process.

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 02:56 - Feb 21 with 1078 viewsKievthegreat

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:22 - Feb 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think Churchman was being a bit nit picky. Technically titanium is usually reserved for fan blades at the front not turbine blades at the hot end. Usually the turbine blades, especially the hottest ones will be made out of more exotic stuff, but they have the exact problem you outline. You have to stick them in air far above their melting point and keep them cool. The example I like is that it's like engineering an ice cube to stay frozen inside an oven.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 2:56]
United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 05:50 - Feb 21 with 969 viewsRyorry

The most striking thing about that is that no-one on the ground seems the slightest bit concerned about the people who might be on board!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 08:04 - Feb 21 with 837 viewsChurchman

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 00:35 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

It's the turbine blades, towards the rear of the engine (and driving the fan/compressor stages), which have the most significant heating issues. The Soviet MiG25 fighter-reconnaisance plane could just about exceed three times the speed of sound by running the (huge) engines flat out, but would damage them beyond re-use in the process.

Good point. I do take a somewhat simplistic view of jet engines not least because the principle compared to a piston engine actually is (suck, squeeze, bang, blow). They are amazing things.
United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 08:28 - Feb 21 with 773 viewsGuthrum

United 328 - engine went boom just now out of Denver 😳 on 08:04 - Feb 21 by Churchman

Good point. I do take a somewhat simplistic view of jet engines not least because the principle compared to a piston engine actually is (suck, squeeze, bang, blow). They are amazing things.

Like a lot of these things, simple in principle but technically (and materially) hard to actually make work.

But everything keeps moving in the same direction with a constant burn, rather than having to reverse direction on heavy cylinders or cope with the vibration of individual explosions. Plus you get the mechanical advantage of being able to gear down a high-speed engine for fans/propellors.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024