Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... 13:12 - Feb 21 with 2977 viewsitfcjoe

....we were pretty rubbish in his final season when the goal was promotion. We were always a few places and points from where we needed to be, always needing a 'run of wins' but never looking remotely like we would get one

And Evans strung that out until it was mathematically impossible, despite further backing right up to the end with a loanee like Giovani.

There is talk, and I include myself in this, that it's just the 5 year deal, and waiting for non-promotion clauses to kick in, but feels like Evans has form for letting the season completely fail before acting as a sense of duty to the manager so they can have no complaints maybe?

Things need to get into a completely hopeless position before he will act, maybe not necessarily mathematically impossible as some suspect, but beyond the point of realistic contention. He doesn't try to save the season, he lets it go as long as he can.

I know Jim is a legend here, but his final season really wasn't very good - as evidenced by the fact that despite beating Norwich, and then Keane winning the final 2 games we finished outside of the play offs by 8 points. We were absolutely miles off competing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:17 - Feb 21 with 2218 viewsGuthrum

Against that, he axed Keane and Hurst mid season (assuming the suggestion that Jewell resigned rather than being sacked - otherwis you can include him, too).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:18 - Feb 21 with 2198 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got to the point that the EADT called for his sacking.

So a fairly similar situation... just not as bad!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:19 - Feb 21 with 2189 viewsPinewoodblue

It is possible that dropping into the bottom half of the table will trigger a reaction from Evans and we are only 1 point from that happening.

Unlikely to happen Tuesday though.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:19 - Feb 21 with 2195 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:17 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

Against that, he axed Keane and Hurst mid season (assuming the suggestion that Jewell resigned rather than being sacked - otherwis you can include him, too).

Keane was going for promotion allegedly and we were in or very close to the bottom 3

Jewell and Hurst had us bottom of the league, whatever the goal was they were miles off it

Lambert has us a few points of the play offs with players coming back to fitness/loan signings bedding in/new style not being forced on him from above - delete whatever excuse you want.

Nearly all fans are saying that any competent manager could get this squad into or very close to the top 6 from here, ME must see PL as that competent manager

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:21 - Feb 21 with 2160 viewstractordownsouth

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:17 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

This would imply that Evans dithering is financial - things seem to be as toxic as they were under Hurst, but he hasn't made the change.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:21 - Feb 21 with 2163 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:19 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Keane was going for promotion allegedly and we were in or very close to the bottom 3

Jewell and Hurst had us bottom of the league, whatever the goal was they were miles off it

Lambert has us a few points of the play offs with players coming back to fitness/loan signings bedding in/new style not being forced on him from above - delete whatever excuse you want.

Nearly all fans are saying that any competent manager could get this squad into or very close to the top 6 from here, ME must see PL as that competent manager

Problem is, PL has alienated sooo many people, he needs to be gone asap, regardless of short term results.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:22 - Feb 21 with 2145 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:21 - Feb 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Problem is, PL has alienated sooo many people, he needs to be gone asap, regardless of short term results.

Of course, we can all see that

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:27 - Feb 21 with 2103 viewsGuthrum

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:19 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

That was one thing which surprised me about him surviving the end of last season. The run from late January to the point it was abandoned was pretty much as bad as the ones which cost Keane and Jewell their jobs.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:28 - Feb 21 with 2101 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:27 - Feb 21 by Guthrum

That was one thing which surprised me about him surviving the end of last season. The run from late January to the point it was abandoned was pretty much as bad as the ones which cost Keane and Jewell their jobs.

We had a really easy finish to the season which would have got us up the table a bit (not enough) - but he was able to blag to Evans we'd have made it no doubt

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:30 - Feb 21 with 2071 viewsFarmerpiles

Jim's last season, I'm sure our away from was pretty useless...or have I got that wrong way round, it was home form? Anyways recall sitting there listening to 'some' fans chanting 'you dont know what your doing' & 'we want Magilton out' near the end. And to a proper Town legend. If only we were in PR now, Lambert would of been long gone. Truly the luckiest (& worst) manager we've ever had.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:36 - Feb 21 with 2025 viewstractordownsouth

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:30 - Feb 21 by Farmerpiles

Jim's last season, I'm sure our away from was pretty useless...or have I got that wrong way round, it was home form? Anyways recall sitting there listening to 'some' fans chanting 'you dont know what your doing' & 'we want Magilton out' near the end. And to a proper Town legend. If only we were in PR now, Lambert would of been long gone. Truly the luckiest (& worst) manager we've ever had.

Our away form was very good that season. If the previous season (2007/8) had been decided on home form, we'd have won the league, but had it been decided on away form, we'd have been relegated.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:55 - Feb 21 with 1930 viewsgazzer1999

Joe, just maybe the squad is overrated and not as good as some think. Everywhere apart from Norwich, Lambert has tried to do things with a sinking ship, he even admitted that it was easy at Norwich because he had a championship squad to play with. Here he has got well a very failing Div 1 squad to play with. We have no divine right to be in the top 2, just look at Sunderland.The big problem with bringing new faces in during January is everyone is at it and remember we have no idea what the budget set by Evans is.
I never really agreed with lamberts appointment at the start but he is here now and all the shouting and abuse on a forum is not going to change that. I am sick of so called supporters on here saying I hope we lose just so he will get the sack, I want to win every game who ever is in charge and that included the dark lord.
I actually think Lambert is coming round to the thinking on this site that things need to change however it is in the background more than the manager, unless that happens we will back here again in 18 months and another manager's reputation is trashed just like the last 3 or 4.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:59 - Feb 21 with 1909 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:55 - Feb 21 by gazzer1999

Joe, just maybe the squad is overrated and not as good as some think. Everywhere apart from Norwich, Lambert has tried to do things with a sinking ship, he even admitted that it was easy at Norwich because he had a championship squad to play with. Here he has got well a very failing Div 1 squad to play with. We have no divine right to be in the top 2, just look at Sunderland.The big problem with bringing new faces in during January is everyone is at it and remember we have no idea what the budget set by Evans is.
I never really agreed with lamberts appointment at the start but he is here now and all the shouting and abuse on a forum is not going to change that. I am sick of so called supporters on here saying I hope we lose just so he will get the sack, I want to win every game who ever is in charge and that included the dark lord.
I actually think Lambert is coming round to the thinking on this site that things need to change however it is in the background more than the manager, unless that happens we will back here again in 18 months and another manager's reputation is trashed just like the last 3 or 4.

You say the swaud is overrated - but just look at the players not even in the 18 yesterday

Edwards
Nolan
Jackson
Skuse
Huws
Hawkins
Woolfenden
McGuinness
Thomas
Ward
Lankester
Downes
Vincent-Young

It's ridiculous the players we have here, it's not about a divine right to be in the top 2 - but we have the resources and the squad to be fighting at the top of this league.....not to be pleased with being 'there or thereabouts' for a play off place

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:01 - Feb 21 with 1899 viewsParisBlue

That's pretty much as I remember it. Before the Norwich game we were 1 win in 9. Jim's time was up, it was no surprise when the news broke and I don't recall it being controversial at the time.

It's what happened after that which was the problem. Despite it being 7 years since relegation there was always belief that we were just one decent season and a bit of luck away from a promotion year. Mick's first 3 full season aside we've under achieved since.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:03 - Feb 21 with 1891 viewsBseaBlue

Joe when we discussed this previously you didn't seem to think it was the clauses but more Evans' pride. Have you heard something recently to have changed your mind with the info you have or more putting 2 and 2 together?
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:04 - Feb 21 with 1878 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:03 - Feb 21 by BseaBlue

Joe when we discussed this previously you didn't seem to think it was the clauses but more Evans' pride. Have you heard something recently to have changed your mind with the info you have or more putting 2 and 2 together?

Yeah, I've not really spoken about clauses there - i think it is pride, or a loyalty to a manager to exhaust every possible excuse if that makes sense

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 1862 viewsgazzer1999

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:59 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

You say the swaud is overrated - but just look at the players not even in the 18 yesterday

Edwards
Nolan
Jackson
Skuse
Huws
Hawkins
Woolfenden
McGuinness
Thomas
Ward
Lankester
Downes
Vincent-Young

It's ridiculous the players we have here, it's not about a divine right to be in the top 2 - but we have the resources and the squad to be fighting at the top of this league.....not to be pleased with being 'there or thereabouts' for a play off place

Come on look at the names you have mentioned most have been given a fair crack of the whip and still the same result. Bobby Ferguson once said it's players that win games and players that lose them.
This has been going on for more than 20 years or so now, the last time was last century when we had exciting times.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:07 - Feb 21 with 1861 viewsBseaBlue

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:04 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Yeah, I've not really spoken about clauses there - i think it is pride, or a loyalty to a manager to exhaust every possible excuse if that makes sense

Yeah fair enough I was just clutching at straws really to see if you had heard something. More than anything I'm finding the lack of clarity with what's going on and the consistent waiting for some form of a decision to be really frustrating. As much as people would kick off if they came out and backed him again, at least we would know where we stand.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:10 - Feb 21 with 1849 viewshunters_headers

Magilton was doing a good job with limited resources until he had money and made many questionable decisions, and paid vastly inflated prices for average players, this combined with confusing tactics, and changing formations, he confused himself. The game against Doncaster (they absolutely murdered us) was a case in point, he had to go. Then we had the disaster that was Keane (Martin, Priskin, Edwards and Leadbitter for £8 million) quickly followed with Jewell and his journeymen signings, followed by McCarthy who did a brilliant job with a crap squad and improved it gradually until we made the playoffs. After that he lost his way, and as Mills said yesterday got more and more defensive as he went on, bottom of the league Burton at home we matched their formation, and only avoided relegation because of Bart for three seasons, he had to go to.
He still left a decent squad which needed a couple of decent additions and a change of philosophy , but no, we had a manager out of his depth and totally ripped the heart out of the side, followed by the Paul Lambert debacle. What a mess, I just hope Marcus Evans can get the appointment right this time, because I really fear for the future of this great club, Sir Alf, Sir Bobby, Bobby Ferguson, Kevin Beattie and even John Lyall must be turning in their graves.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:11 - Feb 21 with 1843 viewsgazzer1999

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:07 - Feb 21 by BseaBlue

Yeah fair enough I was just clutching at straws really to see if you had heard something. More than anything I'm finding the lack of clarity with what's going on and the consistent waiting for some form of a decision to be really frustrating. As much as people would kick off if they came out and backed him again, at least we would know where we stand.

I guess the club and Evans think nothing has changed so nothing to report 4 years left of the 5.
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:12 - Feb 21 with 1835 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:07 - Feb 21 by gazzer1999

Come on look at the names you have mentioned most have been given a fair crack of the whip and still the same result. Bobby Ferguson once said it's players that win games and players that lose them.
This has been going on for more than 20 years or so now, the last time was last century when we had exciting times.

Look at the players we are up against in this league - has beens and never were's mainly - we aren't in the Championship any more, we are in League 1 and not up against teams with rich owners who have been able to not feel the effects of covid.

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:16 - Feb 21 with 1797 viewsSamWhiteUK

Nearly any competent manager could have got automatic promotion with this squad, the fact we're now talking about the play offs as a goal is embarrassing
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:16 - Feb 21 with 1795 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 13:30 - Feb 21 by Farmerpiles

No you're right, our home form was just fine, but our away form was TRULY terrible - our first away win was in April against Sheff Weds if I remember rightly. I think if it had been the other way round and we hand't won a home game till then, there'd have been people calling for his head a lot sooner...
Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:18 - Feb 21 with 1785 viewsitfcjoe

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:16 - Feb 21 by SamWhiteUK

Nearly any competent manager could have got automatic promotion with this squad, the fact we're now talking about the play offs as a goal is embarrassing

As Jimmy Walker said - if we can't even get in the top 4 we may as well 'pack it in'

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:20 - Feb 21 with 1765 viewsSamWhiteUK

Under Magilton, despite people looking back with rose-tinted specs..... on 14:18 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

As Jimmy Walker said - if we can't even get in the top 4 we may as well 'pack it in'

Yep, maybe my comment made it sound TOO easy, but we should have been competing RIGHT up there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024