Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans takeover. 18:26 - Feb 21 with 7131 viewsMattinLondon

I know the rumours regarding the US Consortium is total rubbish. But at the time, were there rumours going around regarding Marcus Evans taking over? Or did it come as a total surprise?

Have to admit I remember reading a story on here confirming the takeover but had no idea previous to this.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:31 - Feb 21 with 6441 viewsJ2BLUE

Total surprise. I remember coming home from Sainsburys and seeing it on the BBC.

Social media wasn't about then in any major way. There was only a handful of people on Bebo back then. Jeera will remember it better than me...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:32 - Feb 21 with 6417 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:31 - Feb 21 by J2BLUE

Total surprise. I remember coming home from Sainsburys and seeing it on the BBC.

Social media wasn't about then in any major way. There was only a handful of people on Bebo back then. Jeera will remember it better than me...

Plus we were in administration, actively seeking a buyer and Sheepy was probably talking to various parties

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:40 - Feb 21 with 6319 viewsSitfcB

Total surprise!

I was actually on year 10/11 work experience that week on the sports desk at the Evening Star/EADT.

Found out first thing in the morning, before it was released under an embargo.

Great week to pick, got to go to the Norwich pre-match presser with Jim Magilton as well.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:51 - Feb 21 with 6167 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Remember all those rumours about an Ed Sheeran takeover.

...and the announcement ended up being a fundraising milestone being met for the Beattie statue?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:52 - Feb 21 with 6152 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:40 - Feb 21 by SitfcB

Total surprise!

I was actually on year 10/11 work experience that week on the sports desk at the Evening Star/EADT.

Great week to pick, got to go to the Norwich pre-match presser with Jim Magilton as well.

Was there a mix up?

Weren't you supposed to do work experience at the local garage?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:53 - Feb 21 with 6135 viewsPendejo

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:32 - Feb 21 by BlueandTruesince82

Plus we were in administration, actively seeking a buyer and Sheepy was probably talking to various parties

We were not in administration, perilously close but not in. ME saved us...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:04 - Feb 21 with 6034 viewsJ2BLUE

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:51 - Feb 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Remember all those rumours about an Ed Sheeran takeover.

...and the announcement ended up being a fundraising milestone being met for the Beattie statue?

They really didn't help themselves on that occasion. Someone asked if the announcement was as big as they were making out. They said yes. Then it was that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:13 - Feb 21 with 5955 viewsnorth_stand77

I remember going to a shareholders meeting (possibly at Ipswich Town Hall?)

I think the majority thought it was a good (and promising) move for the club. But even then there were shareholders who were very opposed to the move and were concerned we would lose our identity........
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:27 - Feb 21 with 5845 views66notout

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:13 - Feb 21 by north_stand77

I remember going to a shareholders meeting (possibly at Ipswich Town Hall?)

I think the majority thought it was a good (and promising) move for the club. But even then there were shareholders who were very opposed to the move and were concerned we would lose our identity........

It was at the Corn Exchange IIRC. I got the impression that night that Sheepy was keen to push through the ME deal because another shareholder stood up and said he knew of at least one other interested party, only to be told by Sheepy that the meeting was to decide yes or no to Evans, nothing else.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:37 - Feb 21 with 5755 viewsnorth_stand77

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:27 - Feb 21 by 66notout

It was at the Corn Exchange IIRC. I got the impression that night that Sheepy was keen to push through the ME deal because another shareholder stood up and said he knew of at least one other interested party, only to be told by Sheepy that the meeting was to decide yes or no to Evans, nothing else.

Yes thats right, Corn exchange! And you're also right about Sheepy. They just wanted it done and dusted.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:44 - Feb 21 with 5680 viewsstonojnr

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:53 - Feb 21 by Pendejo

We were not in administration, perilously close but not in. ME saved us...

absolutely, from what I can remember it was an open secret the clubs board were actively looking for someone to inject more cash into the club, because our financial position was dire

but that theyd found someone to buy the club entirely, no was a complete surprise when it was announced.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:45 - Feb 21 with 5692 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:27 - Feb 21 by 66notout

There was some background to that, they didn't believe it was anything other than speculative interest. Bearing in mind DS was in control of the 'chairman's shares' it was just a meeting to rubberstamp the takeover.

EGM Seals Evans Takeover 18th Dec 2007 00:48
Marcus Evans's takeover of Town was formally ratified by the club's shareholders at Monday evening's EGM. The proposal for Evans to take a 87.5% stake in the club received the support of 98.4% of the club's shareholding. 0

Questions were then taken from the floor with Town associate director James Wood asking why the club didn't engage Vantis, a firm of accountants, who he introduced to the club back in August.

After the meeting, TWTD asked chief executive Derek Bowden to explain the situation with Vantis, who were represented by Ken Anderson, a licensed players' agent: “He approached the club together with James in the summer and spoke to the chairman about the potential for investment and wanted us to sign an engagement letter with a 6% finder's fee, we having already signed an engagement letter with another merchant bank [understood to be Seymour Pierce — TWTD].

“At that time we were marketing the club quite heavily around the world and we took the view that a 6% finder's fee for an unnamed potential investor who may or may not have been there was not a good use of our money. That could have resulted in a seven-figure fee being paid to an intermediary, which we didn't feel was the right thing to do at that time. We felt that if a would-be purchaser was out there, then they could have picked up the phone to the chairman, as Marcus Evans did.

“Everyone on the planet who was interested in football would have known the club was for sale and we took the view that if someone was really interested then they would approach us and that we shouldn't be paying exorbitant intermediary fees on a speculative basis, which is what it would have been.

“It wouldn't be untypical for someone to agree their own terms of engagement and then, having got those agreed, try and find a buyer for the club.

“We signed an exclusivity agreement with Marcus Evans. I didn't speak to Ken Anderson, I've never spoken to Ken Anderson, but he apparently said at that time he had a live buyer, although again didn't reveal who it was. One wonders how many clubs that buyer, if there were a buyer, was being touted to.”

Ken Anderson was definitely a bullet dodged, incidentally.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/09/bolton-ken-anderson-efl-ownersh

This post has been edited by an administrator
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:48 - Feb 21 with 5632 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:44 - Feb 21 by stonojnr

absolutely, from what I can remember it was an open secret the clubs board were actively looking for someone to inject more cash into the club, because our financial position was dire

but that theyd found someone to buy the club entirely, no was a complete surprise when it was announced.

We weren't in adminstration - although I think the club would have gone into administration again had there not been a takeover - but it was well-known that the club was for sale. There had been a few whispers circulating before the identity of the buyer was revealed, in the Evening Standard if I remember rightly.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:50 - Feb 21 with 5601 views66notout

Marcus Evans takeover. on 18:40 - Feb 21 by SitfcB

Total surprise!

We’re you Dave Allard’s bitch?
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:57 - Feb 21 with 5543 viewsGeorge25

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:48 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

We weren't in adminstration - although I think the club would have gone into administration again had there not been a takeover - but it was well-known that the club was for sale. There had been a few whispers circulating before the identity of the buyer was revealed, in the Evening Standard if I remember rightly.

Phil, sorry if you have answered this in a previous thread. But is their anything in these rumours about the American takeover? Would the 40m suggested seem something Evans would accept?
Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:59 - Feb 21 with 5521 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:57 - Feb 21 by George25

Phil, sorry if you have answered this in a previous thread. But is their anything in these rumours about the American takeover? Would the 40m suggested seem something Evans would accept?

I'd guess he'd bite someone's arm off if they offered £40m. Can't see that being offered when we're in League One. As I say, not heard anything to substantiate the rumour.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:01 - Feb 21 with 5466 viewsGeorge25

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:59 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

I'd guess he'd bite someone's arm off if they offered £40m. Can't see that being offered when we're in League One. As I say, not heard anything to substantiate the rumour.

Ok. £40m did seem too much. As didn’t some of national papers suggest the club was up for £35M when we were in the championship a few years ago.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2021 20:01]
Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:10 - Feb 21 with 5353 viewsSitfcB

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:50 - Feb 21 by 66notout

Elvin King’s!

Stuart Watson was just starting out then.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:11 - Feb 21 with 5354 views66notout

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:45 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

There was some background to that, they didn't believe it was anything other than speculative interest. Bearing in mind DS was in control of the 'chairman's shares' it was just a meeting to rubberstamp the takeover.

EGM Seals Evans Takeover 18th Dec 2007 00:48
Marcus Evans's takeover of Town was formally ratified by the club's shareholders at Monday evening's EGM. The proposal for Evans to take a 87.5% stake in the club received the support of 98.4% of the club's shareholding. 0

Questions were then taken from the floor with Town associate director James Wood asking why the club didn't engage Vantis, a firm of accountants, who he introduced to the club back in August.

After the meeting, TWTD asked chief executive Derek Bowden to explain the situation with Vantis, who were represented by Ken Anderson, a licensed players' agent: “He approached the club together with James in the summer and spoke to the chairman about the potential for investment and wanted us to sign an engagement letter with a 6% finder's fee, we having already signed an engagement letter with another merchant bank [understood to be Seymour Pierce — TWTD].

“At that time we were marketing the club quite heavily around the world and we took the view that a 6% finder's fee for an unnamed potential investor who may or may not have been there was not a good use of our money. That could have resulted in a seven-figure fee being paid to an intermediary, which we didn't feel was the right thing to do at that time. We felt that if a would-be purchaser was out there, then they could have picked up the phone to the chairman, as Marcus Evans did.

“Everyone on the planet who was interested in football would have known the club was for sale and we took the view that if someone was really interested then they would approach us and that we shouldn't be paying exorbitant intermediary fees on a speculative basis, which is what it would have been.

“It wouldn't be untypical for someone to agree their own terms of engagement and then, having got those agreed, try and find a buyer for the club.

“We signed an exclusivity agreement with Marcus Evans. I didn't speak to Ken Anderson, I've never spoken to Ken Anderson, but he apparently said at that time he had a live buyer, although again didn't reveal who it was. One wonders how many clubs that buyer, if there were a buyer, was being touted to.”

Ken Anderson was definitely a bullet dodged, incidentally.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/09/bolton-ken-anderson-efl-ownersh

This post has been edited by an administrator

Do you know if Ken Anderson is any relation to Michael Anderson, the guy appointed to the board by Sheepy and then removed within a couple of hours when a Google search by the local media revealed his background to be that of someone who would have failed the fit and proper person test?
Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:26 - Feb 21 with 5249 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:11 - Feb 21 by 66notout

Do you know if Ken Anderson is any relation to Michael Anderson, the guy appointed to the board by Sheepy and then removed within a couple of hours when a Google search by the local media revealed his background to be that of someone who would have failed the fit and proper person test?

I don't think so. Michael Anderson ended up as deputy chairman of Gillingham, so I assume did pass a test there. Although he subsequently had to resign. Not sure where this got to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-41178576
Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:33 - Feb 21 with 5170 viewsMelford

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:50 - Feb 21 by 66notout

I was in 1994, I did a week at the EADT. My day on the sports desk consisted of getting Dave Allard coffee, helping to sort photos for Frank Yallop's testimonial programme and going to Galloways vehicle hire to get photos of Craig Forrest getting the player of the month award.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:34 - Feb 21 with 5148 viewsMelford

Marcus Evans takeover. on 19:48 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

Do you know how close The Dildo Brothers were to buying us? There were a lot of rumours that they were interested at the time.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:43 - Feb 21 with 5083 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:34 - Feb 21 by Melford

Do you know how close The Dildo Brothers were to buying us? There were a lot of rumours that they were interested at the time.

Not entirely sure but don't think they were ever close. There were rumours as you say and they have subsequently said they were interested, but I don't know that there were ever talks.
Marcus Evans takeover. on 21:37 - Feb 21 with 4790 viewsWicklowBlue

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:33 - Feb 21 by Melford

I was in 1994, I did a week at the EADT. My day on the sports desk consisted of getting Dave Allard coffee, helping to sort photos for Frank Yallop's testimonial programme and going to Galloways vehicle hire to get photos of Craig Forrest getting the player of the month award.

TWTD's
Marcus Evans takeover. on 04:51 - Feb 22 with 4305 viewsIllinoisblue

Marcus Evans takeover. on 20:33 - Feb 21 by Melford

That genuinely sounds like a really good week

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024