Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil: What is going on with club communications? 10:31 - Feb 22 with 6528 viewswkj

I find it incredibly strange that Lambert faded and let Taylor take over the press communications - but now Taylor is making way for Gill?

From a journalistic point of view - what kind of message does this send out? I can't remember many/any other times in my life where first team coaches have taken the press communications on while the manager/ass. man have still been actively employed.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:38 - Feb 22 with 4297 viewsPhilTWTD

Happened for a long spell with Jim. Just shows where relations are between PL and the media. He doesn't particularly want to engage and when he does with some of those not actually banned will only talk about the specific game and nothing else. It's just a symptom of the general malaise the club is in at present.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:40 - Feb 22 with 4205 viewsSuperCoops

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:38 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

Happened for a long spell with Jim. Just shows where relations are between PL and the media. He doesn't particularly want to engage and when he does with some of those not actually banned will only talk about the specific game and nothing else. It's just a symptom of the general malaise the club is in at present.

I struggle to understand how Evans can see this relationship and think it won't get anywhere but worse. It's not healthy and the relationship between Lambert and the media/fans is NEVER going to improve. Therefore, it's very destructive and damaging all round.

Can't get my head around his [ME's] game plan or thinking.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:45 - Feb 22 with 4147 viewswkj

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:40 - Feb 22 by SuperCoops

I struggle to understand how Evans can see this relationship and think it won't get anywhere but worse. It's not healthy and the relationship between Lambert and the media/fans is NEVER going to improve. Therefore, it's very destructive and damaging all round.

My assumption is Evans saw Hurst's appointment as giving the fans what they want and is still reeling from it. I feel he is in the bunker with Lambert now and has no clue how to get out of it while keeping his pride in tact.

Crybaby

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:52 - Feb 22 with 4077 viewsGuthrum

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:40 - Feb 22 by SuperCoops

Perhaps Evans, if he's been working abroad, hasn't seen the full extent of the breakdown over the last week or two?

Or he doesn't care.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:53 - Feb 22 with 4045 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe he's prepared to overlook the relationships problem because Lambert is doing so well with the team?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 with 4013 viewsSuperCoops

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:52 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

Perhaps Evans, if he's been working abroad, hasn't seen the full extent of the breakdown over the last week or two?

Or he doesn't care.

Well I'd be amazed if he isn't aware of the extent it. I'm also disturbed that, even if he isn't abroad, he isn't being (accurately) kept up to date with it.

Something is very wrong there in any scenario.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 with 4015 viewsSamWhiteUK

He'll talk about the specific game and other issues such as KJ and JN but only if he brings it up
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 with 4010 viewsdirtyboy

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:45 - Feb 22 by wkj

My assumption is Evans saw Hurst's appointment as giving the fans what they want and is still reeling from it. I feel he is in the bunker with Lambert now and has no clue how to get out of it while keeping his pride in tact.

Not a bad way of looking at it.

It was clear Evans didn't want to lose McCarthy, but had to listen to fans....and ironically, what did we know lol!

I thought Mick should go at the time.....all in hindsight huh? Maybe Mick would have had that one season where it all clicked againand we were right in the mix, we'll never know now.
Login to get fewer ads

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:57 - Feb 22 with 4010 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:52 - Feb 22 by Guthrum

Or he doesn't care.

I know he has remained in close touch with people at the club, although I'm not always convinced there's a firm grasp on quite how low and how unhappy the support is. Not everyone at the club is working there day to day and we're missing the obvious indicator of the fans at games.

Having said what I said post-match re PL's mood, I still don't think the end is far off. Whatever he might have been told on Friday when they talked and even if we got a reasonable enough result at the weekend, the situation realistically isn't getting any better.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 3988 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 by SamWhiteUK

He'll talk about the specific game and other issues such as KJ and JN but only if he brings it up

He seems more willing to talk to the BBC than other local media, presumably because they haven't actively called for his head.
"Ass Man".....perfect. (n/t) on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 3961 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

PHIL - old media director query? on 10:58 - Feb 22 with 3983 viewsunstableblue

What was the name of the ex-BBC Suffolk media director I would have had dealings with? The name escapes me. He was responsible for PR and was part of for Marcus to fan/local-media interface.

Left during Cleggs’ stint. Very much part of the Sheepshanks old guard. Very invested in club and history.

It was a senior position probably justified during Premier days, but role seemed to be retired. We then had a media manager for the majority of Micks reign, supported by juniors. I believe had he been still around he would dealing with some of this strife?? Do you think.

And now we have the social media guy - who’s doing a pretty good job - but has not PR responsibilities.

Again it’s like the Marie Celeste of management structures!!! Yes we’re third tier; but we still get 15k home gates and have a large following to generate revenue from.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:00 - Feb 22 with 3941 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's a symptom of the very weak personality that PL has.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:02 - Feb 22 with 3901 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:57 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

I know he has remained in close touch with people at the club, although I'm not always convinced there's a firm grasp on quite how low and how unhappy the support is. Not everyone at the club is working there day to day and we're missing the obvious indicator of the fans at games.

Having said what I said post-match re PL's mood, I still don't think the end is far off. Whatever he might have been told on Friday when they talked and even if we got a reasonable enough result at the weekend, the situation realistically isn't getting any better.

It's so very sad that 0-0 at home to Oxford is seen in such a positive light.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:03 - Feb 22 with 3888 viewsGuthrum

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 by SuperCoops

Well I'd be amazed if he isn't aware of the extent it. I'm also disturbed that, even if he isn't abroad, he isn't being (accurately) kept up to date with it.

Something is very wrong there in any scenario.

Indeed

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

PHIL - old media director query? on 11:07 - Feb 22 with 3828 viewsDublinBlue84

PHIL - old media director query? on 10:58 - Feb 22 by unstableblue

What was the name of the ex-BBC Suffolk media director I would have had dealings with? The name escapes me. He was responsible for PR and was part of for Marcus to fan/local-media interface.

Left during Cleggs’ stint. Very much part of the Sheepshanks old guard. Very invested in club and history.

It was a senior position probably justified during Premier days, but role seemed to be retired. We then had a media manager for the majority of Micks reign, supported by juniors. I believe had he been still around he would dealing with some of this strife?? Do you think.

And now we have the social media guy - who’s doing a pretty good job - but has not PR responsibilities.

Again it’s like the Marie Celeste of management structures!!! Yes we’re third tier; but we still get 15k home gates and have a large following to generate revenue from.

Dan Palfrey is head of PR at the club.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:08 - Feb 22 with 3821 viewswkj

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:57 - Feb 22 by PhilTWTD

If that is the case, RE Evans not being able to see how unhappy the fans are - surely he can see how divided the club is from the community. Was uniting the fans and forging a "new era" his message to us a couple seasons back? Surely the fact that the divisions are worse than they have ever been is enough to signal to Evans that Lambert's regime has failed.

The more and more we go on, the more I feel the club needs a Cheif Exec who actually has power to make decisions and bridges the gap between manager and owner. Sure, the Cheif Exec wouldn't be able to fire the manager, but he or she would put the case forward to Evans in business terms with information taken in with a football brain.

I know we had Milne and Clegg, but they were seemingly little more than spokesmen for Evans, but where we are now? This ain't it Chief.

Crybaby

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:10 - Feb 22 with 3795 viewsBluedandy

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:56 - Feb 22 by dirtyboy

Not a bad way of looking at it.

It was clear Evans didn't want to lose McCarthy, but had to listen to fans....and ironically, what did we know lol!

I thought Mick should go at the time.....all in hindsight huh? Maybe Mick would have had that one season where it all clicked againand we were right in the mix, we'll never know now.

Had Marcus Evans owned Ipswich in 1999-2000 season he would never have sanctioned the mid-season £2 million pound purchase of Marcus Stewart ... a player who single handedly salvaged our semi-final playoff against Bolton.

Instead McCarthy got Sears for 100K at the same point in the 2014-2015 playoff season which pretty much sums up the ambition of Evans and why McCarthy had to play such an uncompromising, direct and ultimately divisive style of football.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:15 - Feb 22 with 3708 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:10 - Feb 22 by Bluedandy

Had Marcus Evans owned Ipswich in 1999-2000 season he would never have sanctioned the mid-season £2 million pound purchase of Marcus Stewart ... a player who single handedly salvaged our semi-final playoff against Bolton.

Instead McCarthy got Sears for 100K at the same point in the 2014-2015 playoff season which pretty much sums up the ambition of Evans and why McCarthy had to play such an uncompromising, direct and ultimately divisive style of football.

...Sears was a very good signing that season.

9 goals in 23 games.

We could have done with 2-3 other signings too though.

"Ass Man".....perfect. (n/t) on 11:17 - Feb 22 with 3689 viewsPhilTWTD

"Ass Man".....perfect. (n/t) on 10:58 - Feb 22 by Bloots

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:18 - Feb 22 with 3648 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 10:45 - Feb 22 by wkj

The fans didn't sanction the loss of our Top 5 goal scorers and best centre back in pre-season!

...Evans sanctioned those.

PHIL - old media director query? on 11:20 - Feb 22 with 3619 viewsPhilTWTD

PHIL - old media director query? on 11:07 - Feb 22 by DublinBlue84

Dan Palfrey is head of PR at the club.

Not his job to be spokesman on things like that.
PHIL - old media director query? on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 3588 viewsPhilTWTD

PHIL - old media director query? on 10:58 - Feb 22 by unstableblue

Terry Baxter. I think they might well look to appoint someone to his sort of role in the future, in part to take the heat of Lee on non-football matters. More chance of that than a chief exec from what I'm told.
Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 3575 viewswkj

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:18 - Feb 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

The fans didn't sanction the loss of our Top 5 goal scorers and best centre back in pre-season!

...Evans sanctioned those.

Which I have highlighted in another post today talking about a disastrous level of trust in Hurst from the get go

Be careful what you wish for by wkj 22 Feb 2021 10:16
Really someone with intelligent coaching acumen rather than a "high profile" name.

Keane - High profile name, duh

Jewell - His name was known, but no football management CV entries in recent years

Mick - Well known name, and actually the outlier here as he had the pedigree for football management ability at Championship level.

Hurst - Although a warm thought by the fans, he was doing the business in the league below, but Evans gave him a disasterous level of trust and freedom without with experience at upper league footie.

Lambert - Done nothing since an impressive run with our closest rivals. In fact, a series of high profile fall outs, compensation claims and failures.

===

Let's take a look at the two choice names among TWTD posters

Cowleys - Did very good at rebuilding a damaged club and have proven a number of times they have an intimate understanding of team building, coaching and man management as well as a healthy relationship with the fans. They did well at Huddersfield given the club were in freefall, but were not given a pre season to assert their own vision. I truly believe Huddersfield's position currently would be no worse with them in charge.

Paul Cook -
A full career as a player having come through a non-league team as a player and grifted out a career. He did the business at wigan and seems to have a level headed approach to football management. The key here - he intimately knows football at many levels, including grass roots.

WKJ's Choice
David Artell - Crewe has been a project, one he took on and has done very well with. Able to work constructively with academy players and not arbitrarily using them as lambs to the slaughter, and possibly better than Mick McCarthy with youth player development to the senior level.

Crybaby

Phil: What is going on with club communications? on 11:22 - Feb 22 with 3578 viewsGeoffSentence

The one thing Lambert had going for him in his early tenure was his engagement with the media and fans. Without that he has nothing. How on Earth can this continue.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024