Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The pitch 22:05 - Feb 23 with 539 viewsgrow_our_own

Great performance and win tonight on a decent playing surface. This season and last, we were great between Aug-Oct when pitches were still good. This is more than a coincidence. Skilful players like Dozzell, Bishop, Downes etc like to play with the ball at their feet. Like most years, Portman Road has become a bobbly paddy field and our form has turned to muck. Mick McCarthy's proper blokes did relatively well, but who wants to watch that every week?

It's about time we started taking the playing surface more seriously. At our peak in the 70s and early 80's Portman Road was a bowling green. We are in the results business, and if drastic action is needed to allow more light and ventilation to reach the pitch, then so be it. I'm thinking anything up to and including knocking down the giant tombstone that is the East of England Stand and eventually replacing it (when there's demand) with a modern pitch-friendly structure. The worst sections of the pitch are down that side.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 22:39]
The pitch on 22:18 - Feb 23 with 486 viewsBlueBadger

Blimey, it's a good while since we had a proper 'the football is better now', particularly in reference to a close win in the third division.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The pitch on 22:37 - Feb 23 with 440 viewsGeorge03

I’m pretty sure it’s what’s underneath is the problem. I remember reading in a thread a while back that the foundations underneath the pitch and some of the drains haven’t been re done since 70/80s.

Also towns pitch is 100% grass which is unusual in the premier league and championship as they now have part artificial pitches, where artificial fibre are inserted into the grass, reducing damage and speeding up recovery. Think even some lg1 clubs have it. Something town should consider.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 22:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024