Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vegetarianism and veganism 18:56 - Feb 24 with 5403 viewsSwansea_Blue

I genuinely believe we need to break down the stigma around these. I’m convinced they are better both for us, animals (obviously) and the environment. Particularly I think we need to challenge the ‘macho’ view around eating meat, as let’s face it that’s a load of balls; it’s not as if we’ve gone out and hunted it at great risk to ourselves.

Having said that, we’re having fillet steak tonight. And I’m really looking forward to it . A little bit of mixed spice on it, triple cooked chips and some petit poi’s (or as we say post-Brexit little peas). Lush.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 18:59 - Feb 24 with 2596 viewsJ2BLUE

Is there much of a stigma? Most people seem to have a problem with being "preached" to rather than caring what someone else eats.

I'm pretty much vegetarian nowadays. Meat very, very rarely.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:00 - Feb 24 with 2587 viewsDubtractor

My pork belly marinated for 48 hours in homemade bbq sauce was a winner tonight.

And I also agree with your first paragraph. Its just eating normal food really. I eat veggie or vegan 2 or 3 days a week, its not difficult at all, and for me getting a balance is pretty easy.

That said, non dairy milk can get in the sea.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:01 - Feb 24 with 2581 viewsgtsb1966

The only meat I eat now is chicken. I eat a lot of veggie/vegan stuff to. I had one of the best burgers I'd tasted for years not long ago and it was vegan. It was called Beyond Burger. Bit pricey as they are a fiver for two but worth it.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:01 - Feb 24 with 2574 viewsjeera

"it’s not as if we’ve gone out and hunted it at great risk to ourselves."

Excuse me bit I popped out to the butchers earlier and you take your life at that T-junction at the bottom of the lane sometimes.

I am also happy with the odd veg Indian dish though and tend to do that quite often.

Certainly healthier to not eat meat all the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:03 - Feb 24 with 2559 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:00 - Feb 24 by Dubtractor

My pork belly marinated for 48 hours in homemade bbq sauce was a winner tonight.

And I also agree with your first paragraph. Its just eating normal food really. I eat veggie or vegan 2 or 3 days a week, its not difficult at all, and for me getting a balance is pretty easy.

That said, non dairy milk can get in the sea.

What are you using the milk for?

Oat milk on cereal is excellent.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:05 - Feb 24 with 2544 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:01 - Feb 24 by gtsb1966

The only meat I eat now is chicken. I eat a lot of veggie/vegan stuff to. I had one of the best burgers I'd tasted for years not long ago and it was vegan. It was called Beyond Burger. Bit pricey as they are a fiver for two but worth it.

Look for a brand called Naked Glory. I've been a Quorn guy for a long time but Naked Glory burgers and sausages are amazing. On offer in Sainsburys at the moment. I'm trying the mince and the 'meatballs' this week.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:05 - Feb 24 with 2533 viewsjeera

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:03 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Oat milk on cereal? I can't go with that J2, no way.

It does work well for porridge though, perhaps unsurprisingly!

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:06 - Feb 24 with 2525 viewsHerbivore

If nothing else the planet really needs people as a whole to drastically cut how much meat they consume. That's before getting into health and animal welfare issues.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:07 - Feb 24 with 2511 viewsgtsb1966

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:05 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Look for a brand called Naked Glory. I've been a Quorn guy for a long time but Naked Glory burgers and sausages are amazing. On offer in Sainsburys at the moment. I'm trying the mince and the 'meatballs' this week.

I'll give them a go. Will take a lot to stop me buying Cauldron sausages though.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:08 - Feb 24 with 2498 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:05 - Feb 24 by jeera

Oat milk on cereal? I can't go with that J2, no way.

It does work well for porridge though, perhaps unsurprisingly!

Really? I'm not sure I could tell the difference to be honest. Granola with oat milk is amazing.

My cereal of choice is bran flakes usually. I like them but it's more because other cereals are basically candy in a bowl than anything else.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:08 - Feb 24 with 2488 viewsDubtractor

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:03 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Tea and coffee mainly. Oat milk is horrible IMO - Mrs Dub is vegan and has oatly, and veggie friends use it too, but it completely takes over the taste of the drink.

As Jeera says, suspect it would work well in porridge!

I'm aware that dairy is horrible in terms of animal welfare, but I like milk and cheese too much.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:11 - Feb 24 with 2477 viewsgtsb1966

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:08 - Feb 24 by Dubtractor

Tea and coffee mainly. Oat milk is horrible IMO - Mrs Dub is vegan and has oatly, and veggie friends use it too, but it completely takes over the taste of the drink.

I'm aware that dairy is horrible in terms of animal welfare, but I like milk and cheese too much.

I could never go vegan simply because I love eggs and cheese. Nothing, absolutely nothing can imitate real cheese.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:13 - Feb 24 with 2452 viewsjeera

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:08 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Really? I'm not sure I could tell the difference to be honest. Granola with oat milk is amazing.

My cereal of choice is bran flakes usually. I like them but it's more because other cereals are basically candy in a bowl than anything else.

I'll only eat porridge or bran flakes as a rule. Add a few blueberries... Occasionally muesli.

But has to be milk.

I don't touch other cereals no, most of them are dreadful foodstuff agreed.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:14 - Feb 24 with 2447 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 18:59 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

Is there much of a stigma? Most people seem to have a problem with being "preached" to rather than caring what someone else eats.

Doesn’t that just illustrate the stigma? I don’t think you’d get kick back and talk of preaching for something else that had been shown to be not especially good. E.g. we don’t accuse people of preaching when they say we should smoke or drink less.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:19 - Feb 24 with 2417 viewsSwansea_Blue

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:01 - Feb 24 by gtsb1966

I’ve heard they are meant to be good. Not too pricey considering how much it would cost for a decent quality beef burger.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:21 - Feb 24 with 2409 viewsgtsb1966

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:19 - Feb 24 by Swansea_Blue

I’ve heard they are meant to be good. Not too pricey considering how much it would cost for a decent quality beef burger.

Fried with onions and then topped with a sprinkling of stilton.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:21 - Feb 24 with 2408 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:14 - Feb 24 by Swansea_Blue

Doesn’t that just illustrate the stigma? I don’t think you’d get kick back and talk of preaching for something else that had been shown to be not especially good. E.g. we don’t accuse people of preaching when they say we should smoke or drink less.

But animals are sentient and most people claim to love them. I don't agree with everything vegans say but that is pretty on point. If you claim to love animals but eat meat people don't want that contradiction pointed out.

Smoking and drinking (in excess) tend to damage yourself only. Eating animal products is possibly damaging yourself and is also hurting both animals and the environment so people don't want to hear it.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:23 - Feb 24 with 2397 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't use it in tea/coffee. I haven't found a vegan substitute which works in those yet. Chrisswailes once recommended hemp milk, a crime for which I haven't fully forgiven him to be honest.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:26 - Feb 24 with 2381 viewschrismakin

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:21 - Feb 24 by J2BLUE

But animals are sentient and most people claim to love them. I don't agree with everything vegans say but that is pretty on point. If you claim to love animals but eat meat people don't want that contradiction pointed out.

Smoking and drinking (in excess) tend to damage yourself only. Eating animal products is possibly damaging yourself and is also hurting both animals and the environment so people don't want to hear it.

For me it's the flavour of meat I find hard to say goodbye to, i've tried the quorn versions but they're just no where near the same. IF someone actually came up with something that actually tasted just like the original, i'd be all over it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:27 - Feb 24 with 2376 viewsJ2BLUE

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:26 - Feb 24 by chrismakin

For me it's the flavour of meat I find hard to say goodbye to, i've tried the quorn versions but they're just no where near the same. IF someone actually came up with something that actually tasted just like the original, i'd be all over it.

Naked Glory sausages really surprised me. They really have that flavour hit when you chew them.

Truly impaired.

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:28 - Feb 24 with 2373 viewsgtsb1966

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:26 - Feb 24 by chrismakin

Just try a Beyond Burger. Even the texture is the same....without the gristle!!
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:30 - Feb 24 with 2362 viewsMattinLondon

Depends what you mean by ‘preaching’. The number of adverts on telly and in newspapers etc for meat far outweighs any form of advertising that promotes a vegan lifestyle.

But it’s the protests in a Waitrose that gets people hot under the collar. And I’m saying this as a meat eater.
Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:31 - Feb 24 with 2360 viewsHerbivore

I have Oatly in tea and I like it. Milk in tea was one of the things I was worried would be a struggle, but almond milk was decent in tea and then Oatly works even better. Milk in coffee should be a criminal offence anyway.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:36 - Feb 24 with 2343 viewsmonytowbray

You gonna tell me there’s no stigma when you’re still clinging to flexitarianism 😂

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:36 - Feb 24 with 2340 viewsmonytowbray

Vegetarianism and veganism on 19:11 - Feb 24 by gtsb1966

I could never go vegan simply because I love eggs and cheese. Nothing, absolutely nothing can imitate real cheese.

I used to think that about cheese too

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024