Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dalian Atkinson 09:35 - Feb 25 with 1653 viewsFather_Jack

A little insight:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/feb/25/aldridge-richardson-and-at

Less is more.

Dalian Atkinson on 09:47 - Feb 25 with 1574 viewsMonkeyAlan

Dalian could be awesome on his day. One of the best lve ever seen come out of our youth set up. Duncan didn't know how to manage him. And, as usual we practically gave him away when we sold him. Something we have done regularly over the years.
Dalian Atkinson on 09:50 - Feb 25 with 1552 viewsSteve_M

That's a great article but just tinged with a sense of what might have been.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dalian Atkinson on 09:59 - Feb 25 with 1521 viewsDennyx4

Great read, he certainly got the crowd going back in the day.

That game at Home to Middlesbrough, will always be remembered.
Dalian Atkinson on 09:59 - Feb 25 with 1520 viewsPendejo

That article nails why his career, ultimately, didn't hit the heights it should have.

He won a cup final with Villa, but really should have played for a title winning club and England.

The article all but says he was what is referred to as a "big time charlie", and this would have put off the clubs who could have helped him realise his true potential. But then the article also states he achieved HIS goals; cars and girls

I feel privileged to have seen him play, even in that LC game at Cambridge with the Michael Jackson style long hair, the Boro hat-trick and seeing his goal of the season winner in TV.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 10:57]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Dalian Atkinson on 10:05 - Feb 25 with 1503 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Still no news on the court case over his death.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Dalian Atkinson on 10:24 - Feb 25 with 1474 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Great, great player.

Was quite young, probs not even a teenager when we sold him and I was gutted, we was a cut above.

Shame he didnt have the discipline to to take his career where it should have but as said above, he mostly got what he wanted out of it.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Dalian Atkinson on 08:06 - Feb 27 with 1238 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Great player. Though it wasn't for us- his goal against Wimbledon was outstanding.
Dalian Atkinson on 08:25 - Feb 27 with 1185 viewssolemio

The match I remember above all other Dalian games was one against Middlesbrough where their centre backs just could not cope with him.

Those defenders were Gary Pallister, who had received his first England call-up that week, and a certain Tony Mowbray.

What a talent Dalian had.
Login to get fewer ads

Dalian Atkinson on 09:19 - Feb 27 with 1099 viewssticklegs

Dalian Atkinson on 09:59 - Feb 25 by Pendejo

That article nails why his career, ultimately, didn't hit the heights it should have.

He won a cup final with Villa, but really should have played for a title winning club and England.

The article all but says he was what is referred to as a "big time charlie", and this would have put off the clubs who could have helped him realise his true potential. But then the article also states he achieved HIS goals; cars and girls

I feel privileged to have seen him play, even in that LC game at Cambridge with the Michael Jackson style long hair, the Boro hat-trick and seeing his goal of the season winner in TV.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 10:57]

Yes...I think I saw every game he played for Ipswich. Amazing player...he was a tricky little winger with long hair when he first came onto the scene. The following season he morphed into a powerful front man, who was twice the size, with a shaved head! As others have said, we got a ridiculously small amount of money for him when he left.
Dalian Atkinson on 10:28 - Feb 27 with 1032 viewsRadlett_blue

Dalian Atkinson on 09:47 - Feb 25 by MonkeyAlan

Dalian could be awesome on his day. One of the best lve ever seen come out of our youth set up. Duncan didn't know how to manage him. And, as usual we practically gave him away when we sold him. Something we have done regularly over the years.

Disagree. At the time, £450k was a fair price for an inconsistent young 2nd tier player with potential. The mistake was in not putting in a sell-on clause as these were becoming popular.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 10:34]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Dalian Atkinson on 10:32 - Feb 27 with 1020 viewsRyorry

Great article, thanks.

How are you these days, keeping well I hope? *Very* long time!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dalian Atkinson on 10:44 - Feb 27 with 999 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The article sums him up. Nice lad, great talent, did things the way he wanted.

A few years before the died I was speaking with him and he told me why he signed a new contract in the summer of 1988, even though he didn't get on at all with John Duncan. He intended to leave but a few days before meeting Town officials to discuss his future he'd seen a Lancia Montecarlo for sale in Brighton for £5,000.

He intended to tell the club he wanted to leave. Town put a new contract in front of him. He then asked them for a £5,000 signing on fee and they agreed. So he stayed at Town simply because he could then return to Brighton and buy the car, which he did.

I have a photo of us both sitting on the back of the car across the road from the Hound and Hare pub from 1988.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Dalian Atkinson on 10:48 - Feb 27 with 985 viewsRyorry

Dalian Atkinson on 10:44 - Feb 27 by The_Last_Baron

The article sums him up. Nice lad, great talent, did things the way he wanted.

A few years before the died I was speaking with him and he told me why he signed a new contract in the summer of 1988, even though he didn't get on at all with John Duncan. He intended to leave but a few days before meeting Town officials to discuss his future he'd seen a Lancia Montecarlo for sale in Brighton for £5,000.

He intended to tell the club he wanted to leave. Town put a new contract in front of him. He then asked them for a £5,000 signing on fee and they agreed. So he stayed at Town simply because he could then return to Brighton and buy the car, which he did.

I have a photo of us both sitting on the back of the car across the road from the Hound and Hare pub from 1988.

Nice one!

How did you know him - football or something else?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 10:49]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Dalian Atkinson on 10:51 - Feb 27 with 981 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Dalian Atkinson on 10:28 - Feb 27 by Radlett_blue

Disagree. At the time, £450k was a fair price for an inconsistent young 2nd tier player with potential. The mistake was in not putting in a sell-on clause as these were becoming popular.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 10:34]

I bumped into big Ron once and told him he robbed us. He said the fee was going to be £250,000 but Dalian scored a few goals during negotiation period and pushed the fee up.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Dalian Atkinson on 11:13 - Feb 27 with 953 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Dalian Atkinson on 10:05 - Feb 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Still no news on the court case over his death.

Both were charged in November 2019. Then Covid struck. Theres a huge backlog of cases waiting to be heard, they've just started scheduling hearings for 2022.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Dalian Atkinson on 11:48 - Feb 27 with 926 viewsFather_Jack

Dalian Atkinson on 10:32 - Feb 27 by Ryorry

Great article, thanks.

How are you these days, keeping well I hope? *Very* long time!

Hi Ryorry!

Thanks for saying hello. All as good here as lockdown etc allows. Retirement beckons for me this year so looking forward to winding down.....

Actually got to a game last season - Tranmere away - just down the road for me. Not doing the iFollow thing so as ever rely on TWTD for my daily update on all things ITFC.

Hope all good with you.

Less is more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024