Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another academy player speaking out 18:57 - Feb 25 with 8769 viewsGeorge03

Another academy player speaking out on 19:06 - Feb 25 with 3781 viewsBluefish

Sounds like a bitterness bandwagon

For the record I completely think more should be done for youngsters. I think the whole academy system needs an overhaul and it is a disgrace how they treat kids but he would get all of that in any team and any workplace. Let's not go overboard here

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Another academy player speaking out on 19:07 - Feb 25 with 3807 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would be interesting to hear the club's account of these claims.

Must be v difficult being released though.

Maybe there should be more emphasis on education alongside the feint hope of becoming a pro footballer.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another academy player speaking out on 19:13 - Feb 25 with 3709 viewsHipsterectomy

How much, realistically, are clubs expected to do to help support their careers if they won't make it? A few seasons back Chelsea and Man City were loaning out 40-50 players or something incredible. I mentioned to a Man City fan once we had Celina on loan and they had never heard of the guy and he was an international for them.

If we had to sort out career moves for every youngster of ours who never made it here we might as well close the academy down

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Another academy player speaking out on 19:13 - Feb 25 with 3700 viewsPhilTWTD

Another academy player speaking out on 19:07 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Maybe there should be more emphasis on education alongside the feint hope of becoming a pro footballer.

I have asked, hence I've not done anything with the two players' accounts.
Another academy player speaking out on 19:15 - Feb 25 with 3673 viewsGeorge03

Another academy player speaking out on 19:07 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed. It seems Clubs don't seem to offer much support to player that are being released. Some player with little connections in the game must find it hard finding a route back in the game and are left stranded.
Another academy player speaking out on 19:16 - Feb 25 with 3641 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:21 - Feb 25 with 3555 viewssnudge27

Another academy player speaking out on 19:06 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

For the record I completely think more should be done for youngsters. I think the whole academy system needs an overhaul and it is a disgrace how they treat kids but he would get all of that in any team and any workplace. Let's not go overboard here

I agree with you and BryanPlug.

These kids (or their parents) must be aware of what they're getting themselves into, and the massive odds that they'll find themselves fighting against to even become a professional footballer, let alone one making big money. It's a risk they've chosen to take, and they cannot claim to be shocked and surprised when they end up forming part of the >95% who fail to make the grade.

Whilst it sounds like there might have been issues with the pastoral care whilst they were with the club, how much should the club be expected to do for these ones who end up released at the end of their scholarship?

If I were to take an apprenticeship with a firm, fail to make the grade, and was let go at the end of my contract, I wouldn't expect any sort of support from my former employer.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 19:23]

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:22 - Feb 25 with 3541 viewsPlums

Another academy player speaking out on 19:16 - Feb 25 by BryanPlug

It’s 2021 and kids have been throwing their education away for generations on the mis-sold dreams perpetuated by football academies. It’s time it was dealt with and those who fall by the wayside because they’re ‘not good enough’ are supported to get life back on track.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

Another academy player speaking out on 19:26 - Feb 25 with 3467 viewsBryanPlug

Another academy player speaking out on 19:22 - Feb 25 by Plums

It’s 2021 and kids have been throwing their education away for generations on the mis-sold dreams perpetuated by football academies. It’s time it was dealt with and those who fall by the wayside because they’re ‘not good enough’ are supported to get life back on track.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:27 - Feb 25 with 3452 viewssnudge27

Another academy player speaking out on 19:26 - Feb 25 by BryanPlug

On that side of things I think it's the agents that have to take the blame rather than the clubs.

The agents will entice these kids to sign up with them based on the promise that they'll make them a star, and that they're the only agent out there with the contacts and ability to make that happen.

Another academy player speaking out on 19:28 - Feb 25 with 3451 viewsRedX

Another academy player speaking out on 19:06 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

"Sounds like a bitterness bandwagon"

After reading this lad's statement, this is what you take from it? This kid was being bullied. Have you children yourself? One thing someone can never do and that is ignore a cry for help when it comes to being bullied. There have been many kids that have taken their lives because of it. You'd want to have a good think about that.

How it was allowed to continue after being reported is beyond me. The club should investigate who the complaint was made to and question them on what they did to protect this player. Not too much if it started again some time after.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 19:34]
Another academy player speaking out on 19:30 - Feb 25 with 3359 viewsBluefish

Another academy player speaking out on 19:28 - Feb 25 by RedX

After reading this lad's statement, this is what you take from it? This kid was being bullied. Have you children yourself? One thing someone can never do and that is ignore a cry for help when it comes to being bullied. There have been many kids that have taken their lives because of it. You'd want to have a good think about that.

How it was allowed to continue after being reported is beyond me. The club should investigate who the complaint was made to and question them on what they did to protect this player. Not too much if it started again some time after.

Yes I have 3 and I wouldn't let them in an academy unless I was sure they would make it and even then I would be there to support every step of the way.

It is a football dressing room and rightly or wrongly it will be a brutal world. Fook me it won't be close to some of the sh*t we faced as a 17 year in the semi pro game. Those dressing rooms really were no holds barred

Another academy player speaking out on 19:30 - Feb 25 with 3389 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 19:15 - Feb 25 by George03

Indeed. It seems Clubs don't seem to offer much support to player that are being released. Some player with little connections in the game must find it hard finding a route back in the game and are left stranded.

The truth is there can't be a route back in the game for them all.

Players need to be realistic and take some responsibility of preparing a Plan B.

The club of course should help with this, but it's not all down to the club.

Also... where are the parents in all this?!
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 19:31]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Another academy player speaking out on 19:30 - Feb 25 with 3387 viewssnudge27

I think there are two threads to it.

You're right on the bullying - there's no defending it and the club should have done more to stop it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case that those doing the bullying were, perhaps, more promising young players and the club didn't want to do anything to risk them deciding they didn't want to be at ITFC any more.

As for the 'aftercare' aspect, I don't buy it. You know the rules, and you know the risks. If you don't make the grade then it's down to you to find yourself a new path in life.

Another academy player speaking out on 19:36 - Feb 25 with 3302 viewsFunge

Exactly right.

18 year old kids - and let's be honest, we're all kids at 18 - being treated like this is poor. The club has a duty of care to assist these kids; the accounts given suggest that duty isn't being met.
Another academy player speaking out on 19:37 - Feb 25 with 3264 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 19:36 - Feb 25 by Funge

Exactly right.

18 year old kids - and let's be honest, we're all kids at 18 - being treated like this is poor. The club has a duty of care to assist these kids; the accounts given suggest that duty isn't being met.

I think we need to wait and hear the club's side of things. They may well have taken action.

Another academy player speaking out on 19:38 - Feb 25 with 3234 viewsBluefish

Another academy player speaking out on 19:36 - Feb 25 by Funge

Exactly right.

Would you say the same about the army or a trade apprentice?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:40 - Feb 25 with 3210 viewsFunge

Another academy player speaking out on 19:37 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think we need to wait and hear the club's side of things. They may well have taken action.

Yep, that's fair.
Another academy player speaking out on 19:40 - Feb 25 with 3205 viewssnudge27

Another academy player speaking out on 19:38 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

Exactly this.

Nobody has forced these kids to go down this route. There is never an easy path to fame and fortune, and the risk is proportionate to the reward.

If you choose to chance your arm at becoming a professional footballer, you need to understand the miniscule chances of making it, and make sure you have a Plan B in place.

Another academy player speaking out on 19:41 - Feb 25 with 3201 viewsmonytowbray

Fishers admires the lads doing the bullying as it's big and clever to wind others up. He never really has grown out of the playground.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:41 - Feb 25 with 3198 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Another academy player speaking out on 19:27 - Feb 25 by snudge27

On that side of things I think it's the agents that have to take the blame rather than the clubs.

The agents will entice these kids to sign up with them based on the promise that they'll make them a star, and that they're the only agent out there with the contacts and ability to make that happen.

I wonder what role the parents play too.

My oldest is 7, and the amount of pushy parents is scary. All desperate for their kids to get 'scouted'. ...paying £20 for their kids to attend open trials etc.

Personally I'd rather my lad isn't scouted at a young age and can just enjoy his football.

Another academy player speaking out on 19:43 - Feb 25 with 3187 viewsIllinoisblue

Fed lettuce and beans? Wtf?

Also, is there a distinction between abuse and banter? Probably depends on what side of it you’re on.

Feel bad for the youths who don’t make it, but that’s life. I didn’t set out to have a number of soul- destroying jobs but here we are.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Another academy player speaking out on 19:43 - Feb 25 with 3126 viewsBluefish

Another academy player speaking out on 19:41 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wonder what role the parents play too.

My oldest is 7, and the amount of pushy parents is scary. All desperate for their kids to get 'scouted'. ...paying £20 for their kids to attend open trials etc.

Personally I'd rather my lad isn't scouted at a young age and can just enjoy his football.

Completely that. I am heavily involved in grass roots and have close contacts that have been involved in academies. It is a horrible world and only made palatable to chase vast riches for the tiny minority

Another academy player speaking out on 19:44 - Feb 25 with 3142 viewsFunge

Another academy player speaking out on 19:38 - Feb 25 by Bluefish

I mean, I've never been in the forces, nor in a trade - but the point there is that you've got people around you supporting you, wanting you to improve, because you're starting from a point of knowing nothing about the trade in question, or, er, fighting.

Whereas a youth footballer will have spent an inordinate amount of time training as a footballer, focussing towards it throughout their formulative years - I'm not sure how I'd react at the age of 17/18 to be told I wasnt good enough, after all that training, the midweek sessions, time spent away from my schoolmates - I'd suggest that it would hit me bloody hard.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2021 19:45]
Another academy player speaking out on 19:45 - Feb 25 with 3135 viewsWicklowBlue

Sounds like my experience as a hockey GK for a small regional club. Didn't have (nor would you expect) a GK coach and resorted to YouTube etc to come up with drills etc. Mind you I was ancient at that stage, and the great thing with that hockey club was they were focused on the juniors and had over 300 up training at underage levels. That was and is the future of the club.

If you do not invest in youth development then you can't expect them to bolster the Senior team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024