Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? 17:37 - Feb 26 with 1094 viewsJ2BLUE

Do we think:

A) A pension fund is making a low risk loan to a consortium backed by high net worth individuals for a set return

or

B) A pension fund has literally decided to take a random gamble on a club which currently makes a big loss each year.

Which is more likely? Obviously B is slightly more likely if it's California and not Rhode Island but really, it's got to be A hasn't it?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:42 - Feb 26 with 1036 viewslowhouseblue

they have provided funding at a rate of interest and with an appropriate degree of security provided by the consortium i would assume. the risk they are exposed to will therefore be different to the risk carried by the consortium. us pension funds are very active in lending in the uk - so the precise sector that they are lending to may be a bit unusual but i doubt anything else is.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:43 - Feb 26 with 1023 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:42 - Feb 26 by lowhouseblue

they have provided funding at a rate of interest and with an appropriate degree of security provided by the consortium i would assume. the risk they are exposed to will therefore be different to the risk carried by the consortium. us pension funds are very active in lending in the uk - so the precise sector that they are lending to may be a bit unusual but i doubt anything else is.

Agreed. People are reacting like they will own us.

Truly impaired.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:45 - Feb 26 with 997 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:49 - Feb 26 with 959 viewsDarth_Koont

Most of 17.5 million quid is a drop in the ocean for a state police and fire pension fund ... even Rhode Island I’d imagine.

Maybe this is a speculative effort from them to help show a breadth of investment and just make their fund more interesting?

Pronouns: He/Him

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:50 - Feb 26 with 939 viewslowhouseblue

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:49 - Feb 26 by Darth_Koont

Most of 17.5 million quid is a drop in the ocean for a state police and fire pension fund ... even Rhode Island I’d imagine.

Maybe this is a speculative effort from them to help show a breadth of investment and just make their fund more interesting?

or the interest rate is high enough to make it interesting?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:52 - Feb 26 with 931 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:49 - Feb 26 by Darth_Koont

That's a one off payment. Quite a few people think they have committed to funding the club on an ongoing basis.

Truly impaired.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:52 - Feb 26 with 924 viewsKeno

taking a Idaho as a random US state firmans pension fund

https://www.persi.idaho.gov/docs/employers/gasb/PERSI-GASB-68-2020-Allocation-Re

They has assets worth over $400,000,000 so whatever they have done to fund the purchase is just a very small part of their portfolio and I would suspect its some kind of loan arrangement

$10,000,000 over 20 years with a 9% interest rate.

The the pension needs the money the debt can be sold on or it the opportunity it can be repaid early

If will be low risk to the pension

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:55 - Feb 26 with 883 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:52 - Feb 26 by Keno

taking a Idaho as a random US state firmans pension fund

https://www.persi.idaho.gov/docs/employers/gasb/PERSI-GASB-68-2020-Allocation-Re

They has assets worth over $400,000,000 so whatever they have done to fund the purchase is just a very small part of their portfolio and I would suspect its some kind of loan arrangement

$10,000,000 over 20 years with a 9% interest rate.

The the pension needs the money the debt can be sold on or it the opportunity it can be repaid early

If will be low risk to the pension

Yes but do you agree the pension fund are not going to fund the club for the future including transfers, wages etc?

That's the point lots are making.

I'd be amazed if it's not just a loan.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:58 - Feb 26 with 855 viewsKeno

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:55 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

Yes but do you agree the pension fund are not going to fund the club for the future including transfers, wages etc?

That's the point lots are making.

I'd be amazed if it's not just a loan.

good point

The initial to the buyers may be big enough to cover 'running costs' or even include a drawdown facility where additional funds cam be accessed if needed up to a limit

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:00 - Feb 26 with 838 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:58 - Feb 26 by Keno

good point

The initial to the buyers may be big enough to cover 'running costs' or even include a drawdown facility where additional funds cam be accessed if needed up to a limit

The point I was making in response to people panicking was that it's unlikely a pension fund is going to buy a club, throw millions at it and then get no return.

It's far more likely, as you say, they are either investing a tiny portion of assets up to a certain point or it's a loan with a guaranteed return.

Truly impaired.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:02 - Feb 26 with 816 viewslowhouseblue

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:00 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

The point I was making in response to people panicking was that it's unlikely a pension fund is going to buy a club, throw millions at it and then get no return.

It's far more likely, as you say, they are either investing a tiny portion of assets up to a certain point or it's a loan with a guaranteed return.

the difference though to a loan from marcus evans is that we won't be able to just roll up the interest and add it to the debt. interest will now be a real outflow of funds.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:02 - Feb 26 with 808 viewsPhilTWTD

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 17:52 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

That's a one off payment. Quite a few people think they have committed to funding the club on an ongoing basis.

That is the idea, build the club up, get it up the divisions, sell it on.
Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:03 - Feb 26 with 790 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:02 - Feb 26 by lowhouseblue

the difference though to a loan from marcus evans is that we won't be able to just roll up the interest and add it to the debt. interest will now be a real outflow of funds.

How can it be repaid until we're in the Prem? Taking interest is just damaging their chances of ever getting their money back. Makes no sense.

Truly impaired.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:04 - Feb 26 with 772 viewsDeano69

Who is lumping in a significant 7 figure sum every year (as has been the case for the last 10+)?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:07 - Feb 26 with 729 viewsKeno

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:02 - Feb 26 by lowhouseblue

It may not be, the interest may have an accrual option

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:07 - Feb 26 with 728 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:02 - Feb 26 by PhilTWTD

That is the idea, build the club up, get it up the divisions, sell it on.

The consortium or the pension fund?

Truly impaired.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:07 - Feb 26 with 725 viewslowhouseblue

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:03 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

How can it be repaid until we're in the Prem? Taking interest is just damaging their chances of ever getting their money back. Makes no sense.

for a pension fund to accept that level off risk the eventual pay off would need to be very high. it's not the sort of thing i imagine fitting into a pension fund portfolio. but who knows.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:10 - Feb 26 with 692 viewslowhouseblue

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:07 - Feb 26 by Keno

It may not be, the interest may have an accrual option

but that would just roll up the risk for the pension fund. do they really lend on that sort of very high risk basis?

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:14 - Feb 26 with 660 viewsKeno

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:10 - Feb 26 by lowhouseblue

but that would just roll up the risk for the pension fund. do they really lend on that sort of very high risk basis?

It would depend on how its structured and what the get out clauses are

Only, dont forget, these financial instruments have a market value so it is say 5 years the pension fund wanted money back they could simply sell the loan to a 3rd party

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:29 - Feb 26 with 578 viewslowhouseblue

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:14 - Feb 26 by Keno

It would depend on how its structured and what the get out clauses are

Only, dont forget, these financial instruments have a market value so it is say 5 years the pension fund wanted money back they could simply sell the loan to a 3rd party

it's very interesting. pension funds structure their portfolio to match future liabilities. so commercial loans of a particular duration play a very specific role - and they match any risk against the interest rate. but for obvious reasons that doesn't tend to include very high risk loans. other than very big funds any exposure to higher risk assets would be through pooled vehicles - private equity funds, or secondary debt funds - so their exposure to particular individual projects is usually very low.

my bet therefore is that it can only be a conventional commercial loan to the consortium secured on other assets. yes they can sell it on - but only for what it is then worth, so the risk remains. someone, somewhere in all of this is doubtless doing something very clever financially, but i wouldn't expect that to be the pension fund.

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:30 - Feb 26 with 567 viewsJ2BLUE

Can we please logically consider the pension fund funding? on 18:29 - Feb 26 by lowhouseblue

it's very interesting. pension funds structure their portfolio to match future liabilities. so commercial loans of a particular duration play a very specific role - and they match any risk against the interest rate. but for obvious reasons that doesn't tend to include very high risk loans. other than very big funds any exposure to higher risk assets would be through pooled vehicles - private equity funds, or secondary debt funds - so their exposure to particular individual projects is usually very low.

my bet therefore is that it can only be a conventional commercial loan to the consortium secured on other assets. yes they can sell it on - but only for what it is then worth, so the risk remains. someone, somewhere in all of this is doubtless doing something very clever financially, but i wouldn't expect that to be the pension fund.

Agreed

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024