Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This pension fund business 19:06 - Feb 26 with 4145 viewsBlueNomad

I am told by a banker relative that US pension funds are put into low risk, guaranteed income investments. He doubts they would go near Man City let alone us. There really seems to be something in this takeover talk but not everything about it should be taken as gospel
This pension fund business on 19:08 - Feb 26 with 3564 viewsHARRY10

Am investment requires a return greater than what is put in.

Outside of the PL, I fail to see where that can be generated
This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 with 3473 viewsIllinoisblue

These pension funds are huge - hundreds of millions of dollars - it’s not like they’re risking the whole pot on us. Will be a small percentage.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 with 3470 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Yeah that makes no sense. Pension fund managers are all about investing in businesses that are secure and provide decent dividends.... everything that a League 1 Football Club isn’t !

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

This pension fund business on 19:18 - Feb 26 with 3458 viewsWacko

Actually, someone on the scum board called "USACanary" said that it's very common for US pension funds to invest in one or two high risk companies, with the risk offset by the many more slow and steady ones in their portfolio

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

This pension fund business on 19:20 - Feb 26 with 3421 viewsBloomBlue

Pensions funds will be looking for a short-term profit. I've no issue with them buying the club, my concern would be they will look to get in and out in 2-3 years and when they sell they won't be interested in ITFC's long-term future
This pension fund business on 19:23 - Feb 26 with 3397 viewsWacko

This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 by Illinoisblue

These pension funds are huge - hundreds of millions of dollars - it’s not like they’re risking the whole pot on us. Will be a small percentage.

Exactly. Assuming for a moment that it's Arizona, their public safety pension fund was worth $10.5B in 2019

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2019/11/08/arizona-public-safety-pension-fund-ra

This pension fund business on 19:25 - Feb 26 with 3356 viewsHARRY10

This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 by southnorfolkblue

Yeah that makes no sense. Pension fund managers are all about investing in businesses that are secure and provide decent dividends.... everything that a League 1 Football Club isn’t !

The pension fund will be lending the money to those buying the club - who will then be responsible for paying interest on that loan.

With around 15 first team players out of contract this summer, and the wage cap coming in the costs of running the club will be vastly reduced.

However the latter will greatly limit the ability for an investor to put money into the club via increased wages. So I expect player sales will be one way of meeting the interest payments.
This pension fund business on 19:26 - Feb 26 with 3345 viewsPinewoodblue

This pension fund business on 19:20 - Feb 26 by BloomBlue

Pensions funds will be looking for a short-term profit. I've no issue with them buying the club, my concern would be they will look to get in and out in 2-3 years and when they sell they won't be interested in ITFC's long-term future

A pension fund would look for the complete opposite. Would you make a short term investment to meet a long term obligation?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

This pension fund business on 19:26 - Feb 26 with 3343 viewsWeWereZombies

Don't worry, the football investment will only be 5% of a collateralized debt obligation and the other 95% will be AAA rated.

This CDO will then be sold to the pension funds but bundled in with mortgage backed securities in such blue chip and low risk developments as Jamie's Glaswegian, which will also retain the club's links with Paul Lambert, as a chain of three hundred deep fried Mars bar outlets are built in Dortmund under his management.

Further security will be added by dividing this with a series of credit default swaps based on shorting pharmaceutical company stocks, which will be easy to buy now that the coronavirus pandemic is just about over and no one will need a vaccination ever again...or anything else pharmaceutical.

If the worst comes to the worst, well, life expectancy in the United States is falling so maybe none of those pensions will need to be paid out anyway. And maybe all of the football clubs invested in will win the Champions League in 2022.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

This pension fund business on 19:27 - Feb 26 with 3326 viewsWacko

This pension fund business on 19:25 - Feb 26 by HARRY10

The pension fund will be lending the money to those buying the club - who will then be responsible for paying interest on that loan.

With around 15 first team players out of contract this summer, and the wage cap coming in the costs of running the club will be vastly reduced.

However the latter will greatly limit the ability for an investor to put money into the club via increased wages. So I expect player sales will be one way of meeting the interest payments.

Wage cap was scrapped, no?

This pension fund business on 19:46 - Feb 26 with 3236 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Many got smashed in 2008 and have adapted accordingly by investing more in private equity portfolios. Pension fund investments are worth over 8 trillion in the US. If you think an entire state is backing paying their retirees on the success of ITFC then you are mistaken.

Also who do you think manages them? Private equity and venture capitalists such as Benevolent. It will be an purchase not on a massive scale with a high potential upside.
This pension fund business on 19:51 - Feb 26 with 3187 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This pension fund business on 19:08 - Feb 26 by HARRY10

Am investment requires a return greater than what is put in.

Outside of the PL, I fail to see where that can be generated

"Outside of the PL, I fail to see where that can be generated"

I would assume the other way is to get the club upwardly mobile having bought it at low value, then find a buyer prepared to take a punt on making the step to the Premier League and sell for something significantly higher than what they bought for.

The only other option is asset stripping. Sell everything from any marketable players and the training ground to the point at which they get in more than their outlay. I would like to think that one isn't on the cards and wouldn't realise sufficient to make it worth their while.

It looks like their primary objective is to take us to the Premier League, though, based on a successful model they have employed in the US.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This pension fund business on 23:35 - Feb 26 with 2919 viewsEl_Fenix

This pension fund business on 19:23 - Feb 26 by Wacko

Exactly. Assuming for a moment that it's Arizona, their public safety pension fund was worth $10.5B in 2019

https://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2019/11/08/arizona-public-safety-pension-fund-ra

The largest pension fund in the US is CalPERS - the California Public Employees Retirement System.

The most recently published value of CalPERS' assets is $ 441.20 BILLION. (This is not a misprint).

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/investments

CalPERS cannot meet its future liabilities by investing in 30 year treasury bonds that currently pay only 2.19%. As a result, it is investing large sums in a wide range of non-traditional assets.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

This pension fund business on 23:37 - Feb 26 with 2896 viewsJ2BLUE

The consortium are probably borrowing the money from them for a guaranteed return regardless of our performance.

I really don't understand why so many think a pension fund has decided to buy us...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This pension fund business on 23:59 - Feb 26 with 2799 viewsjeera

This pension fund business on 23:37 - Feb 26 by J2BLUE

The consortium are probably borrowing the money from them for a guaranteed return regardless of our performance.

I really don't understand why so many think a pension fund has decided to buy us...

Because the clear and obvious plan is to throw as much money at us as it takes.

Then, once we are champions of England and ultimately champions of Europe, they will not only recoup their investment, but make a tidy profit.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This pension fund business on 00:22 - Feb 27 with 2712 viewsMVBlue

This pension fund business on 19:46 - Feb 26 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Many got smashed in 2008 and have adapted accordingly by investing more in private equity portfolios. Pension fund investments are worth over 8 trillion in the US. If you think an entire state is backing paying their retirees on the success of ITFC then you are mistaken.

Also who do you think manages them? Private equity and venture capitalists such as Benevolent. It will be an purchase not on a massive scale with a high potential upside.

Oh great ITFC owned by venture capitalists. What could go wrong?

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

This pension fund business on 08:19 - Feb 27 with 2393 viewsGeorge03

This pension fund business on 19:51 - Feb 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

"Outside of the PL, I fail to see where that can be generated"

I would assume the other way is to get the club upwardly mobile having bought it at low value, then find a buyer prepared to take a punt on making the step to the Premier League and sell for something significantly higher than what they bought for.

The only other option is asset stripping. Sell everything from any marketable players and the training ground to the point at which they get in more than their outlay. I would like to think that one isn't on the cards and wouldn't realise sufficient to make it worth their while.

It looks like their primary objective is to take us to the Premier League, though, based on a successful model they have employed in the US.

That’s my concern. We have slated Evans over the year but at least he never did any of that.
They could easily close the academy which would probably save the club millions a year in cost. Then sell on the extra pitches they don’t need.
This pension fund business on 08:24 - Feb 27 with 2354 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This pension fund business on 00:22 - Feb 27 by MVBlue

Oh great ITFC owned by venture capitalists. What could go wrong?

Calm down they're called Benevolent and such....lovely people!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This pension fund business on 08:29 - Feb 27 with 2320 viewssolemio

This pension fund business on 19:26 - Feb 26 by WeWereZombies

Don't worry, the football investment will only be 5% of a collateralized debt obligation and the other 95% will be AAA rated.

This CDO will then be sold to the pension funds but bundled in with mortgage backed securities in such blue chip and low risk developments as Jamie's Glaswegian, which will also retain the club's links with Paul Lambert, as a chain of three hundred deep fried Mars bar outlets are built in Dortmund under his management.

Further security will be added by dividing this with a series of credit default swaps based on shorting pharmaceutical company stocks, which will be easy to buy now that the coronavirus pandemic is just about over and no one will need a vaccination ever again...or anything else pharmaceutical.

If the worst comes to the worst, well, life expectancy in the United States is falling so maybe none of those pensions will need to be paid out anyway. And maybe all of the football clubs invested in will win the Champions League in 2022.

I love this post. I hardly understand a word of the first three paragraphs!
This pension fund business on 08:29 - Feb 27 with 2318 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

In a low interest environment and with so much money sloshing around in these funds they are trying to get creative....their continued interest in investment would be at the whim of the markets and future interest rate trends.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This pension fund business on 09:19 - Feb 27 with 2210 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

This pension fund business on 09:22 - Feb 27 with 2184 viewsHerbivore

The salary cap has been scrapped.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This pension fund business on 09:24 - Feb 27 with 2166 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What wage cap?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This pension fund business on 09:28 - Feb 27 with 2128 viewsHerbivore

This pension fund business on 09:24 - Feb 27 by Cheltenham_Blue

What wage cap?

Harry still thinks Lambert is a Premier League level manager, his finger isn't exactly on the pulse.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This pension fund business on 09:31 - Feb 27 with 2100 viewschicoazul

This pension fund business on 19:17 - Feb 26 by southnorfolkblue

They will be investing in the person borrowing the money not the club. I doubt the pension fund managers know where Suffolk is never mind Ipswich. And it’s a tiny sum relatively speaking, although I very much like the idea of the Arizonan equivalent of Jimmy Hoffa turning up at training to give our lads a motivational chat.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024