Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The irony 07:31 - Feb 27 with 4293 viewsmuccletonjoe

Comes from the fact , that after 2 and a half years , Lambert might have finally coupled a team with a system that appears to work.
Just as strong rumours surface of a takeover bid and a change of manager.
Another good performance today and I would strongly recommend any future manager to keep riding this wave until may at least.
The irony on 07:37 - Feb 27 with 2176 viewsSpruceMoose

Not sure that 1-2, 0-0, 0-0, 1-0 is all that much to get excited about myself!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The irony on 07:37 - Feb 27 with 2177 viewsPlums

That’s assuming Lambert is still pulling the strings and what we’re seeing isn’t the players taking control. His right hand man is away and we’re suddenly playing differently and with more freedom.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The irony on 07:51 - Feb 27 with 2071 viewsHerbivore

I don't think Lambert has stumbled on anything. He's had a few very brief spells here where we've strung together a few results but it all soon goes to sh1t again. The good results mainly come through Lambingo landing on a side that has enough quality to beat the dross at this level, but generally teams then figure out how to play against them and we revert to type. Any new manager has more than enough quality in this squad to get us up, if they can also make us greater than the sum of our parts then there won't be many sides who can give us a game in this league.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The irony on 07:52 - Feb 27 with 2061 viewsmuccletonjoe

The irony on 07:37 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

Would you change the team and start again then ?
The irony on 07:55 - Feb 27 with 2038 viewsmuccletonjoe

The irony on 07:51 - Feb 27 by Herbivore

I don't think Lambert has stumbled on anything. He's had a few very brief spells here where we've strung together a few results but it all soon goes to sh1t again. The good results mainly come through Lambingo landing on a side that has enough quality to beat the dross at this level, but generally teams then figure out how to play against them and we revert to type. Any new manager has more than enough quality in this squad to get us up, if they can also make us greater than the sum of our parts then there won't be many sides who can give us a game in this league.

As I said. See how we do today, if it's another good performance , I would think twice before tearing it up and starting again.
The irony on 08:01 - Feb 27 with 1970 viewsgordon

We've got far better players than most teams in this league - if we just sent them out in a balanced 4-4-2 with sensible instructions and our best players fit and in the right position we'd outplay most teams.

The fact that we're on a run of two 0-0 draws at home and a 1-0 away win is no indication that he's working anything out.
The irony on 08:04 - Feb 27 with 1944 viewsWD19

At the start of the last 2 seasons, when the team are refreshed and motivated they have performed similarly.

Then once they have had a few more weeks of Lamberts input it has tailed off.

It confirms my view that if the team operated without a manager at all they would be in and around the play offs just working it out for themselves.
The irony on 08:05 - Feb 27 with 1935 viewsSpruceMoose

The irony on 07:52 - Feb 27 by muccletonjoe

Would you change the team and start again then ?

Lambert has been changing the team and starting again every week for the last three years. I'd like the new boss to select their own team by their own criteria, not just carry on selecting the last team Lambert chanced upon in the last few weeks of his reign.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

The irony on 08:05 - Feb 27 with 1930 viewsHerbivore

The irony on 07:55 - Feb 27 by muccletonjoe

As I said. See how we do today, if it's another good performance , I would think twice before tearing it up and starting again.

Clearly you've not paid much attention to Town under Lambert over the last 2 and a half years. A win today is three points and that's it, it doesn't mean Lambert has turned a corner and hit on something special. With our squad a competent manager could put out two different XIs that should expect to finish top 6. The squad depth is ridiculous for this level. Any new manager coming in will be able to pick a team and system capable of winning every game they play in this league, if they are even remotely competent.

The irony on 08:08 - Feb 27 with 1894 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The irony on 07:37 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

It's more the performances than the final scores. The last couple of games we've looked like a totally different team. It's like the players knew a change was coming and they've started playing out of their skin. Against Hull we seemed to hard press them for 90 minutes (rather than the first 15 and then slack off), for example. Players busting a gut to close the opposition down before they had chance to think.

I'm not sure the credit goes to Lambert though. He's had 2.5 years to get us playing like this. It doesn't seem a coincidence to me that the change has happened on the pitch... and then we suddenly have this massive change OFF the pitch. I'm sure the two must be linked but I can't figure out how.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The irony on 08:10 - Feb 27 with 1864 viewsSpruceMoose

The irony on 08:08 - Feb 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's more the performances than the final scores. The last couple of games we've looked like a totally different team. It's like the players knew a change was coming and they've started playing out of their skin. Against Hull we seemed to hard press them for 90 minutes (rather than the first 15 and then slack off), for example. Players busting a gut to close the opposition down before they had chance to think.

I'm not sure the credit goes to Lambert though. He's had 2.5 years to get us playing like this. It doesn't seem a coincidence to me that the change has happened on the pitch... and then we suddenly have this massive change OFF the pitch. I'm sure the two must be linked but I can't figure out how.

We really haven't. The Peterborough, Northampton and Oxford performances were woeful.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 8:12]

The irony on 08:11 - Feb 27 with 1856 viewsHerbivore

The players probably know he's going, they probably finally have a bit of hope and optimism.

The irony on 08:13 - Feb 27 with 1824 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The irony on 08:10 - Feb 27 by SpruceMoose

We really haven't. The Peterborough, Northampton and Oxford performances were woeful.
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 8:12]

I said the last couple, which is Oxford and Hull. Northampton was indeed woeful, but not Oxford. The difference between the Northampton and Oxford performances was night and day.

LOL. I see from your edit you've added in Posh as well now! You realise "couple" = 2, or is that different in America and you've forgotten?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2021 8:14]

The irony on 08:15 - Feb 27 with 1798 viewsgordon

Against Hull we were really good, Oxford we were average, and against Northampton was one of the worst ITFC performances I've ever seen.

The difference against Hull for me was just loads of effort and running, winning 50-50 challenges, chasing and harrying, great pressing. Players have probably just got wind that there's a change of manager coming, so doing what they can to impress the new man.
The irony on 08:16 - Feb 27 with 1783 viewsHerbivore

The irony on 08:13 - Feb 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

I said the last couple, which is Oxford and Hull. Northampton was indeed woeful, but not Oxford. The difference between the Northampton and Oxford performances was night and day.

LOL. I see from your edit you've added in Posh as well now! You realise "couple" = 2, or is that different in America and you've forgotten?

The Northampton game is up there amongst the worst Town performances in history, so I'm not sure Oxford being an improved performance necessarily means it was a particularly good one.

The irony on 08:16 - Feb 27 with 1783 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The irony on 08:11 - Feb 27 by Herbivore

The players probably know he's going, they probably finally have a bit of hope and optimism.

Could be.

Plus they're now playing for their contracts with the wage cap lifted and a mega-rich consortium looking to take over. I'd be playing my heart out as well!

The irony on 08:17 - Feb 27 with 1781 viewsmuccletonjoe

The irony on 08:05 - Feb 27 by Herbivore

Clearly you've not paid much attention to Town under Lambert over the last 2 and a half years. A win today is three points and that's it, it doesn't mean Lambert has turned a corner and hit on something special. With our squad a competent manager could put out two different XIs that should expect to finish top 6. The squad depth is ridiculous for this level. Any new manager coming in will be able to pick a team and system capable of winning every game they play in this league, if they are even remotely competent.

We shall see. You are presuming all that's wrong with the team is the manager. I dont agree
The irony on 08:17 - Feb 27 with 1772 viewsSpruceMoose

It really wasn't.

Any how, if there's a new boss I'd much rather he implemented his own ideas rather than try to replicate the ideas of manager in his dying moments who has dragged us into the mud by deploying random team and tactics selections.

The irony on 08:19 - Feb 27 with 1756 viewsSpruceMoose

OK Dolly. You're right. I'll say that now and just save us your ten page meltdown.

The irony on 08:19 - Feb 27 with 1756 viewsgordon

The irony on 08:16 - Feb 27 by Herbivore

The Northampton game is up there amongst the worst Town performances in history, so I'm not sure Oxford being an improved performance necessarily means it was a particularly good one.

Yeah, at the end of the day Oxford was a 0-0 draw at home to a mid-table League One team, where we had slightly better chances than them, but could easily still have lost if they hadn't missed an open goal with that header.
The irony on 08:21 - Feb 27 with 1739 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The irony on 08:15 - Feb 27 by gordon

Against Hull we were really good, Oxford we were average, and against Northampton was one of the worst ITFC performances I've ever seen.

The difference against Hull for me was just loads of effort and running, winning 50-50 challenges, chasing and harrying, great pressing. Players have probably just got wind that there's a change of manager coming, so doing what they can to impress the new man.

Yeah that's what I was getting at re Hull. Everything you've noted there - effort and running, winning 50-50 challenges, chasing and harrying, great pressing - we haven't seen anywhere near enough of. Then suddenly, seemingly overnight, they start doing it. And then we hear a takeover has been rumbling behind the scenes.

They're not playing for the manager. They're playing for the shiny new dollars!

I disagree we were only average against Oxford. I didn't mention Northampton. As I said to Spruce - I said a couple of games.

The irony on 08:24 - Feb 27 with 1710 viewsHerbivore

The irony on 08:17 - Feb 27 by muccletonjoe

We shall see. You are presuming all that's wrong with the team is the manager. I dont agree

I think most of what's wrong is having a manager who can't coach, set up, or man manage a side. What do you think the issue is if not that?

The irony on 08:25 - Feb 27 with 1705 viewsChurchman

Scraping a win against a top ten team for the first time in goodness knows how long is hardly get the open top bus out time. We don’t score goals and deservedly sit mid table in League One. Some sort of change whether ownership manager or both cannot come quickly enough.
The irony on 08:26 - Feb 27 with 1699 viewsWD19

The irony on 08:17 - Feb 27 by muccletonjoe

Given that it is the manager who picks the team and constructs the squad it is difficult to see past him.
The irony on 08:26 - Feb 27 with 1693 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The irony on 08:16 - Feb 27 by Herbivore

I didn't think you watched games now?

But anyway, let's not get into that again. I admit, my rating of the Oxford game may well have been knocked up a couple of notches more than it should because it followed the absolute dirge which was the Northampton one.

To be clear I thought it was a good performance rather than a great one - and the commentary team agreed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024